closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Just got round to watching the race. Kind of a mixed bag really. Good battle for the minor points places in the first half of the race then not a lot going on until the crazy last couple of laps.

Why on earth didn't Mercedes call Lewis into the pits after Bottas's tyre failure and Max's pitstop?? Surely a massive error that almost cost Lewis the win? Both Mercedes could've ended up out of the points.

I can't remember the winning car ever crossing the line with a catastrophic tyre failure (or any other major failure) before?
    This car won the race and the championship ON ITS ROOF because it brought out hte red flag, so race ended previous lap when he was leading.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0mLYO0Ojo

I just read that Lewis’s last lap at Silverstone was actually 7 seconds quicker that the Porsche Supercup Pole position time. Just let that sink in.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I just read that Lewis’s last lap at Silverstone was actually 7 seconds quicker that the Porsche Supercup Pole position time. Just let that sink in.
    Why’s that a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Why’s that a big deal?
    The Porsche is pretty quick. And Lewis did a portion of the lap on 3 wheels.

Why’s that a big deal?
    The Porsche would have had 4 fully inflated tyres.
    I suppose it just demonstrates the speed differential between classes. Lewis hit over 140mph down Hanger Straight with a blown front, that failed around Luffield so that's probably over half the lap on just 3 wheels.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I suppose it just demonstrates the speed differential between classes. Lewis hit over 140mph down Hanger Straight with a blown front, that failed around Luffield so that's probably over half the lap on just 3 wheels.
    I’d forgotten he had a blow out!

Master
    I’d forgotten he had a blow out!
    Ha! Kind of a pertinent point.

Why’s that a big deal?
    Perhaps you needed to let it “sink in”

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Did anyone watch the Formula E race?

If so where do you watch it live in the UK? I couldn't find it on BBC, or the iPlayer.

Master
    Perhaps you needed to let it “sink in”
    Shut up

I don't think it has any relevance. Formula 1 are over half a minute faster per lap, whatever the driver (yes, Mercs have the largest gap). Therefore losing a tyre at some point in the lap means its going to run significantly slower, but unless the loss exceeds the lap time advantage the F1 will still run faster.

As for the speed with a blown tyre, it was an extremely well calculated risk, but a huge stroke of luck too: Had he lost the tyre during the lap (and still finished first), would his time have been validated?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Did anyone watch the Formula E race?

If so where do you watch it live in the UK? I couldn't find it on BBC, or the iPlayer.
    Battersea park, if they are running it, from a spectator perspective it's rubbish, I go for the free champagne and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don't think it has any relevance. Formula 1 are over half a minute faster per lap, whatever the driver (yes, Mercs have the largest gap). Therefore losing a tyre at some point in the lap means its going to run significantly slower, but unless the loss exceeds the lap time advantage the F1 will still run faster.

As for the speed with a blown tyre, it was an extremely well calculated risk, but a huge stroke of luck too: Had he lost the tyre during the lap (and still finished first), would his time have been validated?
    Yes, provided he did not get Black flagged

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Battersea park, if they are running it, from a spectator perspective it's rubbish, I go for the free champagne and food.
    I found yesterdays race from Berlin on the iplayer, it's weird that it wasn't shown live. The BBC have done a terrible job with their Formula E coverage, if you have to hunt for it, then how many casual fans are going to bother.

The race is great so far, I recommend wtaching it.

There is another race today, I will try again to see if I can watch it live.

It’s live on the red button.

I know it takes you to the iPlayer but it’s easy enough to find.

There’s another race this afternoon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It’s live on the red button.

I know it takes you to the iPlayer but it’s easy enough to find.

There’s another race this afternoon.
    Thanks, I'll watch out for it tonight.

Just finihed watching yesterdays race, the first part was OK but a little dull by Formula E standards, but the end was so good.

I'm really looking forward to tonights race, and the sprint to the end :)

Master

Just finihed watching yesterdays race, the first part was OK but a little dull by Formula E standards, but the end was so good.
    Interesting comment. You have pretty much slated F1 since your first post in this thread yet the above comment could easily have been aimed at last weekends race at Silverstone.

I found yesterdays race from Berlin on the iplayer, it's weird that it wasn't shown live. The BBC have done a terrible job with their Formula E coverage, if you have to hunt for it, then how many casual fans are going to bother.

The race is great so far, I recommend wtaching it.

There is another race today, I will try again to see if I can watch it live.
    https://www.fiaformulae.com/watch/wa...97303e40cb7ad6

My point was that the F1 car had generated such a large time gap by the time the tyre failed (LH first reported an issue at the end of the Wellington Straight, maybe 1/3 of the lap completed) that the Porsche couldn't close the gap over the remaining 2/3. Keep in mind that it was the outer left that failed as well, the corner that any race car would have replied upon the most for the remainder of the lap.

There was no way that Lewis was going to pull over when it was obvious the tyre had failed, even if there was a chance that the stewards would have words after it was better for him to try to complete the lap than to stop and give up. He was lucky that it didn't fail at the same point in the lap his teammate's did else Verstappen would have caught him and he was lucky that the tyre didn't flail and rip the front wing and side pod addenda apart, other than that it was game on.

Phe have confirmed Perez's isolation period is over, and can race this weekend if he tests negative

Formula 1 2020

Agreed. But my point was that the two event (F1 lap time advantage and LH tyre issue) are artificially amalgamated: if Lewis lost 40* seconds on his normal lap time and was 7s faster than a Porsche Cup pole position, it is neither more nor less impressive than saying a normal F1 lap time is 47s quicker than a Porsche Cup PP time.
    If anything is worth mentioning it is that he only lost 40s* over 2/3 of a lap against the fastest running F1 with brand new tyres

*: I don’t know what the real time difference was, I took this number as an example.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

My point was that the F1 car had generated such a large time gap by the time the tyre failed (LH first reported an issue at the end of the Wellington Straight, maybe 1/3 of the lap completed) that the Porsche couldn't close the gap over the remaining 2/3. Keep in mind that it was the outer left that failed as well, the corner that any race car would have replied upon the most for the remainder of the lap.

There was no way that Lewis was going to pull over when it was obvious the tyre had failed, even if there was a chance that the stewards would have words after it was better for him to try to complete the lap than to stop and give up. He was lucky that it didn't fail at the same point in the lap his teammate's did else Verstappen would have caught him and he was lucky that the tyre didn't flail and rip the front wing and side pod addenda apart, other than that it was game on.
    The tyre failure obviously impacted handling and steering (especially as it was the front), but I think we shouldn't forget the impact it had on braking. No idea what brake bias was, but it’s fair to assume he lost 20%. Which when travelling that quickly is significant.

But I am sure many of the folks here still could have piloted the car home and still beat Max.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Interesting comment. You have pretty much slated F1 since your first post in this thread yet the above comment could easily have been aimed at last weekends race at Silverstone.
    F1 is over as a competition this season and next, but I love racing and will look for any decent racing I can find.

Formula E's excitement was due to racing, action happening on track due to drivers planning their moves, executing their plans and attacking their rivals on track. F1's excitement last weekend was due to tires explonding, to me, that's not racing.

Fingers crossed this weekends F1 race is decent, hopefully a higher temp will mean that the Red Bulls have a chance at challenging for the lead.

Agreed. But my point was that the two event (F1 lap time advantage and LH tyre issue) are artificially amalgamated: if Lewis lost 40* seconds on his normal lap time and was 7s faster than a Porsche Cup pole position, it is neither more nor less impressive than saying a normal F1 lap time is 47s quicker than a Porsche Cup PP time.
    If anything is worth mentioning it is that he only lost 40s* over 2/3 of a lap against the fastest running F1 with brand new tyres

*: I don’t know what the real time difference was, I took this number as an example.
    Ah, gotcha.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    F1 is over as a competition this season and next, but I love racing and will look for any decent racing I can find.

Formula E's excitement was due to racing, action happening on track due to drivers planning their moves, executing their plans and attacking their rivals on track. F1's excitement last weekend was due to tires explonding, to me, that's not racing.

Fingers crossed this weekends F1 race is decent, hopefully a higher temp will mean that the Red Bulls have a chance at challenging for the lead.
    I agree with the general thought and think is a bl@@dy shame as the technology is jaw droppingly áwesome. I was totally enthusiastic when the new tech took over. Then disappointed. Not by Mercedes being the most awesome of all, that would be like blaming Marc Marquez for being the best contemporary MotoGP rider, but by the consistent obviously wrong direction of the rule changes to get more racing. More downforce/cornering speed does not make for more racing. The governing body ignored even public statements about it by the drivers.
    Alas. Fingers crossed.

As to Lewis Hamilto, in a way the Merc superiority does not do him a favour as he is not like Alonso nor Verstappen p.e. who consistently drove/drive their cars to beyond their possibilities. In fact, if the car gets iffy, he is likely to drop hís ball.

VB gets another year at Mercedes, I wonder where that leaves GR, other than in a Williams

VB gets another year at Mercedes, I wonder where that leaves GR, other than in a Williams
    Andrew Benson's piece on the BBC website reads to me like a summary of the combined official stances on the matter.

Craftsman
    GR is already confirmed in the Williams I think.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...liams-for-2021

I really like Russel, not only do I think he's really quick, he come accross as a nice young man. In fact almost all of the young ones in F1 seem like nice people, and seem to have a bit of personality about them. The only one I haven't really warmed too if Max, he's OK but he just seems hyper focus on F1 at the expense of everything else. SOmetimes he's a bit of a dick.
    Last edited by Happyal; 6th August 2020 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I agree with the general thought and think is a bl@@dy shame as the technology is jaw droppingly áwesome. I was totally enthusiastic when the new tech took over. Then disappointed. Not by Mercedes being the most awesome of all, that would be like blaming Marc Marquez for being the best contemporary MotoGP rider, but by the consistent obviously wrong direction of the rule changes to get more racing. More downforce/cornering speed does not make for more racing. The governing body ignored even public statements about it by the drivers.
    Alas. Fingers crossed.

As to Lewis Hamilto, in a way the Merc superiority does not do him a favour as he is not like Alonso nor Verstappen p.e. who consistently drove/drive their cars to beyond their possibilities. In fact, if the car gets iffy, he is likely to drop hís ball.

Just for my information do you think that LH was driving a “superior car“ when he was runner up to Kimi in 2007 and then beat the Ferraris in 2008.

What about in 2010 when he finish 4th in the WDC having been beaten by Vettel by just 14 points. What about when he finish 4th in the WDC during 2012 and 2013, which meant he again beat one of the Ferraris, and everyone else in both those years.

But on the topic of car superiority, do you apply logic to Alonso, who didn’t win a WDC at McLaren (or Ferrari) or Vettel who never won a WDC at Ferrari either.

Hopefully this will demonstrate that when the car gets “iffy” like it did at McLaren, then LH still manages to outperform the vast majority of other drivers (including team mates). The exception being 2011, when he finished 5th. Beaten by Button who finished 2nd.
    Last edited by Andyg; 7th August 2020 at 07:54.

Friedrich Nietzsche

A safe pair of hands for 2021 when the new rules cut in. Plus they will have a better view of what Hamilton is planning, plus providing more track time for GR.

Its frustrating for those who really want to see what GR can do, but he has 10-15 years in which he can show us.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    A safe pair of hands for 2021 when the new rules cut in.
    What new rules?

He was confirmed at Williams for 2021 several weeks ago.

A safe pair of hands for 2021 when the new rules cut in. Plus they will have a better view of what Hamilton is planning, plus providing more track time for GR.

Its frustrating for those who really want to see what GR can do, but he has 10-15 years in which he can show us.
    Rules were suspended for 12 months, so new cars don't arrive until 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Rules were suspended for 12 months, so new cars don't arrive until 2022.
    Quite correct. My bad.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Big morning for RP. Find out about checo, and the results of the Renault protests.

Master
    Looks like Perez sidelined again...positive test.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looks like Perez sidelined again...positive test.
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...covid-19-again

In a way i'm glad, I want to see Hulk drive

Renault protest against Tracing point upheld

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

And it appears that they can still use the parts

Slap on the wrist, I don't think this is over yet
    Last edited by adrianw; 7th August 2020 at 10:24.

Master
    Renault protest against Tracing point upheld

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

And it appears that they can still use the parts

Slap on the wrist, I don't think this is over yet
    Thank you for the link...just scanned through it and was looking for the above bold point.

So 7.5 points off per car, but can use the parts all season! I think most teams would be happy to use key Merc 2019 parts to be able to run the parts all season!

Craftsman
    Thank you for the link...just scanned through it and was looking for the above bold point.

So 7.5 points off per car, but can use the parts all season! I think most teams would be happy to use key Merc 2019 parts to be able to run the parts all season!
    Something stinks, surely that can't be right. It's been found illegal, they've been fined, docked points, and then reprimanded for every race they've used it so far but it's now all OK to use in every other race? Seems like the FIA have gone full MIA again.

Back to Racing point, hopefully we will see Hulk get a full race this week.

Master
    Couple of quotes from Sky Sports article, sounds like RP boss is happy!!

Jenson Button:
    "I really don't understand the regulations enough to know why they haven't had a bigger penalty. If they're able to drive around this car, which is extremely fast because it is similar to a Mercedes from 2019, they're going to earn so many more points and earn so much more money from those points."

Racing Point boss Otmar Szafnauer on Renault's successful protest:
    "The good news from the judgement is that the car is completely legal from a technical perspective so we can continue to run the brake ducts, it's just a matter of process in the sporting regulations.

"Other teams have done exactly the same, probably even more than what we did, so it's a bit bewildering. However, we now have to decide if our punishment is one that we should appeal."

Couple of quotes from Sky Sports article, sounds like RP boss is happy!!

So would you be if you had just saved hundreds of millions in development casts

In the second practice season Lewis 0.17 sec quicker on Meds, than Bottas on softs. Does this mean that Meds are quicker than softs?

Plus yet another bad day again for Vettel (and Ferrari). Hopefully they can get it sorted for qualifying.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Something stinks, surely that can't be right. It's been found illegal, they've been fined, docked points, and then reprimanded for every race they've used it so far but it's now all OK to use in every other race? Seems like the FIA have gone full MIA again.

Back to Racing point, hopefully we will see Hulk get a full race this week.
    Not really that simple. It's not an illegal part, the design process was. Hence a sporting breach, not the more serious technical breach.

The FIA released quite a thorough explanation of how and why, and how the punishment was arrived at.

I love that Ferrari have the cheek to get involved

I love that Ferrari have the cheek to get involved
    The FIA and Mercedes are complicit in it, that is why the other teams are going for it, the outcome will be interesting

Craftsman
    The FIA and Mercedes are complicit in it, that is why the other teams are going for it, the outcome will be interesting
    How are Mercedes complicit? My understanding was that when they sold the ducts to RP in 2019, they were not in the list of parts which had to be designed by individual teams. Rear brake ducts were then added to this list at the end of 2019. Hence no hint of punishment for Mercedes from the FIA.

Motorsport link: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...alty-explained

as they know more about it than me!
    Last edited by in_denial; 7th August 2020 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    How are Mercedes complicit? My understanding was that when they sold the ducts to RP in 2019, they were not in the list of parts which had to be designed by individual teams. Rear brake ducts were then added to this list at the end of 2019. Hence no hint of punishment for Mercedes from the FIA.
    Rear ducts were supplied on Jan 6.

Craftsman
    Not really that simple. It's not an illegal part, the design process was. Hence a sporting breach, not the more serious technical breach.

The FIA released quite a thorough explanation of how and why, and how the punishment was arrived at.
    From the link posted https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/07/...-point-appeal/

Zak Brown summed up my feelings, "if you read the documentation, there were docked because of the unfair competitive advantage that they had in Austria. But aren’t they still carrying that unfair advantage this weekend?”

At least we are talking about F1 again, it feel good to have something interesting to talk about.