closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 2068

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Didn’t realise this had become a fashion thread , but it’s good to see our open minded, fair, reasonable, “non-judgemental” fashion police are working overtime on behalf of the forum. Huzzah!

Anywhoo, this weekend some of us will watch the first GP at Imola since 2006, where MS won his 7th San Marino GP, (yep 7th!) from Alonso. The only driver currently on the grid who has previously raced there in F1 is unsurprising Kimi, although the likes of LH have raced there previously in GP2 (finished 3rd the feature and was disqualified in the sprint), but will be a learning curve for many drivers.

However, I think most people will cast their minds back to the tragic events of 1994 collimating in the deaths of Ratzenberger and of course Senna. A very dark weekend for all true fans.

In other news I see that Norris has already issued an apology to LH regarding his previous interview as he accepted it could have been misinterpreted (especially by Happyal ).
    Last edited by Andyg; 31st October 2020 at 16:51.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Also

Congratulations to Toto and Team Mercedes on their 7th WCC on the bounce and yet another one two.

Actually it was nice to see LH actually benefit from a VSC, but he then saw a 33 second lead disappear under the full safety car. In the final 6 laps he still managed to pull 5.5 seconds out of VB, whilst setting fastest lap.

Great results for DR, DK (who was MY Driver of the day) and CLC.

An enjoyable race with a bit of everything at a special track. I feel a bit sorry for Russell, but these things happen and at least it wasn’t on the parade lap. Still not sure what happened to MV, but it looked like a tyre failure to me.

Istanbul next and hopefully Lewis will be crowned as WDC. Still he rises.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Lots of Lewis bashing but let’s face it, it questionable fashion sense, ignorance and self righteousness aside he’s one hell of a driver and is making the rest look ordinary

He’s not the GOAT that’s too hard to call but he’s earned his place with Schumacher, senna, Clark, fangio, moss, Prost etc

I hope he wins more, end of the day I want to see a Brit on top of the pile for years to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lots of Lewis bashing but let’s face it, it questionable fashion sense, ignorance and self righteousness aside he’s one hell of a driver and is making the rest look ordinary

He’s not the GOAT that’s too hard to call but he’s earned his place with Schumacher, senna, Clark, fangio, moss, Prost etc

I hope he wins more, end of the day I want to see a Brit on top of the pile for years to come
    Totally agree, would love to see him and Max swap seats for a week as a reference point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Congratulations to Toto and Team Mercedes on their 7th WCC on the bounce and yet another one two.

Actually it was nice to see LH actually benefit from a VSC, but he then saw a 33 second lead disappear under the full safety car. In the final 6 laps he still managed to pull 5.5 seconds out of VB, whilst setting fastest lap.

Great results for DR, DK (who was MY Driver of the day) and CLC.

An enjoyable race with a bit of everything at a special track. I feel a bit sorry for Russell, but these things happen and at least it wasn’t on the parade lap. Still not sure what happened to MV, but it looked like a tyre failure to me.

Istanbul next and hopefully Lewis will be crowned as WDC. Still he rises.
    MV's tyre faillure was probably the result of picking up debri from the tarmac. (That was on Dutch news sites late last night).

Master
    I think Lewis has taken the "it's the car" criticism to heart recently. He commented on it a few weeks ago and his last 2 performances, pulling out huge gaps over Bottas are to prove that it's not just the car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I think Lewis has taken the "it's the car" criticism to heart recently. He commented on it a few weeks ago and his last 2 performances, pulling out huge gaps over Bottas are to prove that it's not just the car.
    We all know that it's not just the car, but it's mostly the car.

I see Lewis having a think about the new regs and not being sure if he'll have a car advanatage. I'm just not sure if he's up for a fight without a clear car advanatage.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    He's become very Prost as times gone by. Minimal exertion for maximum results. His tyre use is phenomenal, able to keep pace with everyone while conserving tyres for the right moment.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    MV's tyre faillure was probably the result of picking up debri from the tarmac. (That was on Dutch news sites late last night).
    I thought the same however I was unsure where the debris had come from, given he was on the racing line, plus whatever it was caused a catastrophic tyre failure. I suppose it could have been picked up earlier in the race, but I think it might have simply fallen off another car.

Judging by the amount of debris Bottas found embedded in his car which came from a Ferrari, it might have been Vettel or CLC’s car.

He was unlucky and deserved a podium, but that’s racing.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    We all know that it's not just the car, but it's mostly the car.

I see Lewis having a think about the new regs and not being sure if he'll have a car advanatage. I'm just not sure if he's up for a fight without a clear car advanatage.
    You are “not sure if he’s up for the fight” - keeping telling yourself this. A bit like not being up for the fight when he left McLaren with whom he had 17 wins and a WDC in 5 years, to join a team who had never won a race.

The only question mark over Lewis’s future is how much of pay cut he is prepared to take. Nothing to do with “car advantage”.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    The only question mark over Lewis’s future is how much of pay cut he is prepared to take. Nothing to do with “car advantage”.
    Is that a sticking point in his negotiations for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Is that a sticking point in his negotiations for next year?
    Its is because the FIA have instigated a salary cap of $30m to pay drivers from 2023. Given that LH is already on $30M, it would mean that VB would get bugger all (which seems a bit unfair). So the options open to Mercedes is a) reduce LH Salary or b) Mercedes pay LH themselves out of a separate budget because the teams will only be able spend a maximum of $135m.

So what Lewis has to decide is whether he signs a one/two year contract under the current FIA rules and try to negotiate something better in 2023 under the new rules, or sign a something like a 4 year deal (worth say $100m), but which satisfies FIA rules. Mercedes have to decide how much they believe LH is worth.

However being a world record equalling F1 driver might make a difference hence the delay.

(Note this is his salary so is exclusive of money paid for imagine rights, personal sponsorships, etc.)

Sounds a lots doesn’t it 😀 yet he doesn’t get close to the highest paid sportsmen. For example Messi is paid 104m to kick a football, LeBron James 88m for his dribbling skills

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Its is because the FIA have instigated a salary cap of $30m to pay drivers from 2023. Given that LH is already on $30M, it would mean that VB would get bugger all (which seems a bit unfair). So the options open to Mercedes is a) reduce LH Salary or b) Mercedes pay LH themselves out of a separate budget because the teams will only be able spend a maximum of $135m.

So what Lewis has to decide is whether he signs a one/two year contract under the current FIA rules and try to negotiate something better in 2023 under the new rules, or sign a something like a 4 year deal (worth say $100m), but which satisfies FIA rules. Mercedes have to decide how much they believe LH is worth.

However being a world record equalling F1 driver might make a difference hence the delay.

(Note this is his salary so is exclusive of money paid for imagine rights, personal sponsorships, etc.)

Sounds a lots doesn’t it  yet he doesn’t get close to the highest paid sportsmen. For example Messi is paid 104m to kick a football, LeBron James 88m for his dribbling skills
    FIA have already said they will accept grandfathered deals.

So If Lewis signs a deal for US$50million per year for the next five years, the FIA have accepted it's outside their salary cap.

So it's nothing to do with LH reducing his salary demands, and more to do with if Lewis wants to take a chance on a possible none dominate car.

Sounds a lots doesn’t it 😀 yet he doesn’t get close to the highest paid sportsmen. For example Messi is paid 104m to kick a football, LeBron James 88m for his dribbling skills
    I don’t think Messi gets £104m in salary, more like £26m. £104m would be £2m a week and Lebrun about $37m US

Sounds a lots doesn’t it  yet he doesn’t get close to the highest paid sportsmen. For example Messi is paid 104m to kick a football, LeBron James 88m for his dribbling skills
    It sounds a lot because it is a lot

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    It sounds a lot because it is a lot
    It’s a lot for us mortals, but we aren't talking about mortals. We are talking about global superstars.

But its still peanuts compared with the likes of Jeff Bezos (Net worth 178billion). Now that’s a lot.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I don’t think Messi gets £104m in salary, more like £26m. £104m would be £2m a week and Lebrun about $37m US
    According to Forbes https://www.aa.com.tr/en/sports/fede...hletes/1858378

Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, that is earnings which will include endorsements etc

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    You need to read things when you Google them.
    That refers to pre-tax figures,in US dollars,of earnings including all earnings,salaries and bonuses. It does not refer to net base salaries in Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    You need to read things when you Google them.
    That refers to pre-tax figures,in US dollars,of earnings including all earnings,salaries and bonuses. It does not refer to net base salaries in Sterling.
    Sorry my mistake, however allowing for exchange rates, it’s still considerable higher than the amount Hamilton was reported to have made.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/tag/lewis-hamilton/

Friedrich Nietzsche

And so to Istanbul and the “Diabolica”. An Anti clockwise circuit and perhaps one of Tilka’s best. This track sees little use and has recently been resurfaced so will be super green, especially as there are no other support races taking place over the weekend. Tires will be critical which is perhaps why Pirelli have decided on the 3 hardest options as grip might be a problem and this should spice it up.

Turn 7 and 8 (the Diabolica) are brutal, especially 8 which will be taken flat out, so strong neck muscles will be the order of the day.

I can see the stewards being keep busy especially with track limits during qualifying especially around turn 13 and 14 as it will be critical to get the right line onto the start finish straight.

If grip is difficult to find, then it will suit the best handling cars (not the most powerful) and those drivers who are smooth, who find the best lines and who can balance their cars. Might be an opportunity for Max, CLC and DR to mount a challenge.

Previous Lap record was set by Montoya in 2005 (in the 3.0 V10 MP4 McLaren Mercedes) at 1.24.7 (expect that to be beaten).

This plus The Masters mean a perfect weekend for me. Enjoy.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Interesting development in Turkey: slippery as black ice. Speed is irrelevant. Driver's skills are most important at the moment.

Craftsman
    Good to hear Max admit what we already know is true.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...en-90-win-w11/

Interesting development in Turkey: slippery as black ice. Speed is irrelevant. Driver's skills are most important at the moment.
    Speed is not irrelevant, just not as relevant as some tracks, but it will get quicker the more it rubbers in.

You are right about the drivers skills. It was interesting to watch how some seem to drifting the cars in to corners. Tire choice and management will be key on Sunday.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Good to hear Max admit what we already know is true.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...en-90-win-w11/

If you and Max say so, it most be true , but does he mean 90% can “win” a race or 90% can “win” a drivers champion. If the latter, clearly Bottas sits in the other 10% because he hasn’t won a WDC despite driving a Mercedes for 3 years, so I wonder which other driver Max rates so lowly.

But perhaps Max realises that the other driver will be himself, because it’s very very unlikely he will ever drive for Mercedes and like a few other young guns over the years will see his opportunity to win a WDC simply evaporate in a cloud of disappointment and frustration. His best hope especially as RB doesn’t have an engine after next year, might be Ferrari in which case he might be CLC number 2.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Watching practice 3 at the moment and the weather is horrendous. Peeing down at the moment.

Couple this with a glossy track (which has been washed again), low ambient temps, tires that aren’t working and it becomes potentially lethal. The only only thing missing is oil on the track.

It would be interesting to see how the safety car would perform in these conditions to be honest.

I can see some very expensive repair bills arriving soon.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Q1 took over an hour. Spectacular driving. No expensive bills yet.

Master
    Go on stroll lad!!!

Craftsman
    Crazy quali, but good to see a bit of a shake up. Looking forward to the race tomorrow.

An interesting qualifying session. Not one for those who wants to see the cars and drivers right on the limit, but certainly a challenge for the drivers.

Great driving by Max, but beaten by an even better performance by Stroll. Who would have guessed that. Great (and brave) drive by SP for being the first taking the intermediates.

As for Lewis, I get the impression the old saying “to finish first, first you have to finish” was in his mind, so all he needed to do was stay in front of Bottas. Job done.

Hopefully it will stay dry for tomorrow, otherwise it’s simply a lottery. Today reminded me of watching Bambi on Ice.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Stroll is up for a hearing by the Stewards for pressing-on under yellow during Q2. Magnussen already mentioned it on the radio during Q2. In the past, LH and MV were put back a number of places on the grid for the same.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ewards-summons

Stroll is up for a hearing by the Stewards for pressing-on under yellow during Q2. Magnussen already mentioned it on the radio during Q2. In the past, LH and MV were put back a number of places on the grid for the same.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ewards-summons

Well, hopefully we will see some consistency from the Stewards. But Stroll was still quicker in Q3 so respect to him.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, hopefully we will see some consistency from the Stewards. But Stroll was still quicker in Q3 so respect to him.
    No penalty for Stroll since it was a single waved yellow and he slowed down significantly on the lap. Norris gets a penalty because it was a double waved yellow and you are required to abort your lap in that situation.

I’m surprised Happyal hasn’t suggested that everyone in front of LH will receive grid penalties!

Rained overnight, so the track is still very wet and just as green as yesterday. There is talk that the race might start under safety car (which I think might be a good idea) especially as the drivers haven’t have a chance to practice standing starts on the grid plus it might avoid 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th corner incidents.

As for LH, I very much he will even contest the first few laps simply because he doesn’t need to win, in fact he doesn’t even need to get points, providing Bottas doesn't finish better than 6. Today is about survival and making sure he is in a position to compete in the 3 remaining races. FYI I doubt Hamilton will employ Schumy, Prost or Senna tactics and simply nerf Bottas off the track.

I see less than 50% of the field actually finishing.

Personally have a very bad feeling about this, and it made me think about the Japanese GP in 1976.

Friedrich Nietzsche

FYI I doubt Hamilton will employ Schumy, Prost or Senna tactics and simply nerf Bottas off the track.
    He has no need to, there’s still plenty of races left and he’s in a strong position.

Senna and Prost were also dealing with the political behind the scenes wrangling and Schumacher was just doing what Schumacher did which was to win by any means possible, fair or foul!

Master
    I really don’t get or buy into the hype over Max Verstappen..

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I really don’t get or buy into the hype over Max Verstappen..
    Because of one mistake?

Master
    I’m not talking about the mistake I just don’t get the way commentators fawn over and make excuses for him when he either makes an error or doesn’t achieve what they think he should

Blog Entries
    The cars & helmets look great with the grime on it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’m not talking about the mistake I just don’t get the way commentators fawn over and make excuses for him when he either makes an error or doesn’t achieve what they think he should
    He's objectively a talented driver, subjectively I struggle to get beyond his arrogance.

Craftsman
    Congrats to Mercedes for their 7th consecutive world title, well done, you've produced yet another dominate car.

Congrats to Perez for second, but my driver of the day has to go to Vettel in 3rd. To drag that dog of a car to a pdoium show what it looks like for a driver to truely out perform their car. Well done Vettel and Leclerc, that couldn't of been easy in such a poor car.

Craftsman
    Great race, top 3 deserved it IMHO.

Wow!

Congratulations to SP, to VB (an excellent race) and of course Lewis on not only only winning today, but also securing his 7th WDC.

An absolutely fantastic drive in horrendous conditions and a huge amount of pressure. Those tyres would never past an MOT.

Perhaps now Lewis might final get some recognition from the haters unlikely, but we can hope.

GOAT!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    He's objectively a talented driver, subjectively I struggle to get beyond his arrogance.
    Yeah that’s the nail on the head

Absolute masterclass today though from LH, champions drive

Congrats to Mercedes for their 7th consecutive world title, well done, you've produced yet another dominate car.

Congrats to Perez for second, but my driver of the day has to go to Vettel in 3rd. To drag that dog of a car to a pdoium show what it looks like for a driver to truely out perform their car. Well done Vettel and Leclerc, that couldn't of been easy in such a poor car.
    The hate is strong , but if it was the car how come Mercedes started 6 and 9 on the grid, yet LH still managed to win whilst the other Merc was outside the points.

Your ignorance, bigotry and stupidity knows no bounds.

Friedrich Nietzsche

That's how you win a driver's championship.

Congratulations Lewis Hamilton, 7 time WDC.

Formula 1 2020

The hate is strong , but if it was the car how come Mercedes started 6 and 9 on the grid, yet LH still managed to win whilst the other Merc was outside the points.

Your ignorance, bigotry and stupidity knows no bounds.
    Sums it up.

I smelt the bitterness and wanted to reply. Now there’s no need.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    What arrogance has he shown? I thought he has been very humble over the past 3 seasons. Perhaps where you see arrogance, others see confidence, maturity and a supreme talent.

Friedrich Nietzsche