closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Green Sub Homage

Master

Steinhart Green Sub Homage

Apologies if posted before. I bought an Ocean 1 off here for my son so I know how good the build quality is. But how do they sail so close to the wind of replicating current watches?

https://youtu.be/DBqcyla9N0s

Steve

Its easy they have no morals or integrity.

Master
    What laws or patents are they infringing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Its easy they have no morals or integrity.
    Duh? No copyrights were hurt in creation of this watch. If it broke any law, Rolex would have sued. Its a hommage - get over it.

Arguments for and against homages aside, what on earth is the point of a review where the reviewer doesn’t even have the watch in his hand?

Master
    True...it's like a McManus special

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    True...it's like a McManus special
    Ha...and having now listening to the dulcet tones...

Technically not a homage at all as Rolex don't do a Black dial with a Green Ceramic bezel insert. It is clearly a halfway house between a Kermit and a Hulk, but it just doesn't look right in my opinion. I'm sure it will sell though.

Jeez, couldn’t get through that vid - a guy with a tedious drone ‘reviewing’ - ie showing some promo shots - of a watch he doesn’t even have in hand.

It’s essntially the Ocean One 39 Black with a different bezel insert. Steinhart recently introduced an engraved ceramic bezel for their Black 39 (the old printed ceramic received lots of complaints about its lack of legibility) and now they’ve upgraded the green. Nothing groundbreaking here, same watch, new bezel insert.

Rolex don’t own the patent for this design so they have no recourse against homage watches and lets face it, someone that wants a Sub and has the money for it will get one (if they are lucky).

Someone who likes the Sub look but doesn’t have the money for it can turn to Steinhart and get a well executed homage with a ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal and Swiss ETA movement for £370, with great customer service. Better than buying a dodgy replica.

Although the dial cues are the same, the Steinhart at least has a different case shape & dimensions to the Sub too - whereas there are some Sub homages out there (Tissel, Phoibos, Loreo et al) that are essentially 1:1 replicas with a different logo on the dial.

I’ve owned a Steinhart OVM in the past, was a very good watch, would happily own another in the future. They offer a good product within their niche in the market and to me it’s just snobbery to look down your nose at them, and by proxy the people that wear them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Apologies if posted before. I bought an Ocean 1 off here for my son so I know how good the build quality is. But how do they sail so close to the wind of replicating current watches?

https://youtu.be/DBqcyla9N0s

Steve
    There are numerous brands that resemble the brand your refer to,this included.Ive had a few of the Steinharts early on into my watch collecting.But as time went by I realised although a nice enough watch the size and lugs never did it for me,that was because I wanted it to be as the brand you refer to in terms of dimensions.

Hence I don't have one,but have had plenty other similar styles with the dimensions I prefer from many other brands.Its quite simply a style that most WIS like,and so other brands will offer something close to that with their own slight differences.

People; Oooh you've got a Rolex!
    Me; No it's an homage let's me explain to you...
    People; what about the weather this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    People: *Palpable indifference to the archaic notion of a mechanical wristwatch.*
    You: Look! Looklooklook! LOOK AT ME! I have a Rolex!
    People: exchange pitying glances, move to different seats &c.
    fixt

Blog Entries
    Someone must appreciate a Sulk , from what I can gather regarding people's feeling on it that's quite the fitting name

Regardless, Steinhart put out a well made watch for the money.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 10th January 2020 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Someone must appreciate a Sulk , from what I can gather regarding people's feeling on it that's quite the fitting name
    Excellent name for it. I never liked their Ceramic inserts, at first they were flat and overly blingy, but at least now they seem to have discovered at last that they need to be 3D with the numbers cut into the insert.

It's still a Rolex-a-like though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Excellent name for it. I never liked their Ceramic inserts, at first they were flat and overly blingy, but at least now they seem to have discovered at last that they need to be 3D with the numbers cut into the insert.

But which is the better watch?.

Rolex OR Steinhart?........Not been done this topic has it!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Yes agreed and it only took them about 7 years to the ceramic bezel looking right for once ! Where was that German efficiency?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    But which is the better watch?.

Rolex OR Steinhart?........Not been done this topic has it!.
    Hammered to death springs to mind. I suppose the point is that not all of their watches look like direct copies of a current Rolex model. The Ocean Two springs to mind, although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say, yes, but that's a copy of a (insert Watch name and model as appropriate).

I never had a problem with the homages to the DRSD, the Milsub or even the vintage GMT etc, but would never have bought one which was a direct copy of current model. Each to their own on this topic, many are happy with their watches and at a price point between £250 and £500 they are hardly any kind of competition to the big boys.