closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Speedmaster Model?

Which Speedmaster Model?

With all the Speedmaster talk today, I wanted some advice about purchasing one...namely what model to go for! I’ve owned 3 standard Speedmaster Moonwatches in the past. Always ended up flipping them to move up the next watch purchase, but I’ve always enjoyed owning and wearing one.

I really like the DSOM...it wears comfortably because its so light, it looks modern and its got a date. However, its 44mm and I’ve got small wrists. Saying that, it didn’t feel massive when I tried one on. I’m also worried this is a purchase that would potentially lose a chunk of money when sold, even if bought pre-owned.

I’m also considering a FOIS...a bit more refined and probably more suitable to my wrist size whilst still being different from the three previous Speedy’s I’ve owned. Possibly a bit too similar to my Longines Big Eye Chrono though.

Any other models I should consider, or opinions about my options?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    With all the Speedmaster talk today, I wanted some advice about purchasing one...namely what model to go for! I’ve owned 3 standard Speedmaster Moonwatches in the past. Always ended up flipping them to move up the next watch purchase, but I’ve always enjoyed owning and wearing one.

I really like the DSOM...it wears comfortably because its so light, it looks modern and its got a date. However, its 44mm and I’ve got small wrists. Saying that, it didn’t feel massive when I tried one on. I’m also worried this is a purchase that would potentially lose a chunk of money when sold, even if bought pre-owned.

I’m also considering a FOIS...a bit more refined and probably more suitable to my wrist size whilst still being different from the three previous Speedy’s I’ve owned. Possibly a bit too similar to my Longines Big Eye Chrono though.

I owned a FOIS and it was great except it looks a bit too sterile...it is an homage to a 2998 but if you look at enough actual 2998s the FOIS starts to look "wrong". The lume is too white, the sapphire crystal is too milky, the logo is the modern one, etc. I prefer the 60th anniversary Speedy for those reasons. But if you don't follow vintage FOIS is a great and more affordable option.

I've never owned a DSOTM but I agree with your concerns about value, they sell well below MSRP and are slow movers on the pre-owned market. If it is going to be a keeper that shouldn't matter but something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    If it is going to be a keeper that shouldn't matter but something to keep in mind.
    Thanks...all good advice. Having been buying/selling for so long now, despite best intentions I know nothing ends up a keeper beyond a few years!

I like the racing speedmaster co axial version. A tad smaller at 42mm and I think different enough. I’m a big fan of the 9x00 chrono movements.

Should be able to find at decent price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I like the racing speedmaster co axial version. A tad smaller at 42mm and I think different enough. I’m a big fan of the 9x00 chrono movements.

Should be able to find at decent price too.

I thought the racing was 44.25mm. And the older racing was 40mm (actually 38.5mm real measurement)?

Or did you mean the older broad arrow that was 42mm?

I used to really like the look of the speedmaster racing watches until I tried one and the large sub-dials just really put me off. Looked like Mickey Mouse ears on the dial one of those once seen cant be unseen moments. I do like the look of the speedmaster 57 though but the ever increasing customer gouging is putting me off buying one.

Just one thing about the speedmaster though and I own one, apart from the nostalga and so called historical significance is it really much better than watches from Sinn, Eberhardt, Damasko etc? These come in at nearly half the price.

The new 321 version looks nice, if hugely pricey.
    It's just a matter of time...

Some things to keep in mind re the DSTOM which I didn't like but might be quite obvious:

-Very loud rotor.
    -Date change is done via a jumping hour hand (GMT style).
    -Not sure if the strap is waterproof as the underside of it is leather.

Saying that it is a very cool watch and there isn't much out there like it.

You mention having small wrists. Is it too obvious to have a look at a Zenith El Primero?

I've also sold three Speedmasters now. Standard hesalite, Tuesday and DSOTM. If I was going for another I would probably want an Ultraman or the sapphire sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    I thought the racing was 44.25mm. And the older racing was 40mm (actually 38.5mm real measurement)?
    My mistake it is 44.25mm

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    The titanium co-axial version allows you to wear the larger watch without the extra weight, plus the blue is a nice shade imo.

Really like that. I've not seen many around either.

My personal favorite right now is the 41.5mm "1957."

Master
    Blog Entries
    Schumacher racing with chequered dial.

Master
    Triple date. As much as I love my moonwatch, on a smaller wrist the triple date case design is just far more attractive.

Thanks for all the replies...I’m really glad I asked the question because I didn’t realise away from the standard moonwatch how many great versions of the Speedmaster there were!

Thanks for the DSOM advice wiley...will keep that in mind.

I’ve now added the 41.5mm ‘57 model and titanium 44mm versions to the serious consideration list!

Thanks for all the replies...I’m really glad I asked the question because I didn’t realise away from the standard moonwatch how many great versions of the Speedmaster there were!

Thanks for the DSOM advice wiley...will keep that in mind.

I’ve now added the 41.5mm ‘57 model and titanium 44mm versions to the serious consideration list!
    some nice pics and a little write up about the '57 from a massive Omega enthusiast - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/luxe...er-5-t943.html

Grand Master
    I own a 3510.50 Speedy reduced which suits my wrist size, and for me it captures the look of the classic Moonwatch nicely unless you look too closely. However, the appeal of the Ed White reissue isn’t lost on me, the size is OK and I like the style of the case, I couldn’t care less about the 321 reissue movement or the Ed White connection, I just think it’s a very nice watch that I would enjoy wearing.

If I had small wrists I would consider the 57 Trilogy version. At 38.6mm it is the smallest hand wind Speedy available and with its steel bezel and broad arrow hands it is an extremely handsome watch. It is a bit pricier than the standard Speedy Pro.

(not my watch or photo)

A similar watch at a better price point is the 3594.50, a broad arrow 57 "Replica" - that was what Omega called it when it was introduced 21 years ago. It has been out of production since 2002 but I see them for sale regularly. It is identical to the standard Moonwatch of the time (3570.50) except for the bezel, dial, hands and case back. The dial is dark gray, has an applied logo and does not say "Professional" on it. Some of the early ones have tarnished hands but parts are still available from Omega.

They came on both bracelet and strap. The one in the photo is on an Erika's Original strap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If I had small wrists I would consider the 57 Trilogy version. At 38.6mm it is the smallest hand wind Speedy available and with its steel bezel and broad arrow hands it is an extremely handsome watch. It is a bit pricier than the standard Speedy Pro.

(not my watch or photo)

A similar watch at a better price point is the 3594.50, a broad arrow 57 "Replica" - that was what Omega called it when it was introduced 21 years ago. It has been out of production since 2002 but I see them for sale regularly. It is identical to the standard Moonwatch of the time (3570.50) except for the bezel, dial, hands and case back. The dial is dark gray, has an applied logo and does not say "Professional" on it. Some of the early ones have tarnished hands but parts are still available from Omega.

They came on both bracelet and strap. The one in the photo is on an Erika's Original strap.

I've been seriously considering the 60th speedy for my next watch, didn't know about the 3594.50! Will have to re-start all my research now!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    I've been seriously considering the 60th speedy for my next watch, didn't know about the 3594.50! Will have to re-start all my research now!
    I have a 3594, which I had modified, painting a new handset white to aid legibility

I really like the combination of white broadarrow hands, old style dial with applied logo, and steel bezel. Shame Omega never made it themselves....

D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have a 3594, which I had modified, painting a new handset white to aid legibility

I really like the combination of white broadarrow hands, old style dial with applied logo, and steel bezel. Shame Omega never made it themselves....

D
    Yup, I think I have found my next watch....it's lovely!

Journeyman
    Thanks...all good advice. Having been buying/selling for so long now, despite best intentions I know nothing ends up a keeper beyond a few years!
    Same with me!

Master
    In my (very conservative) eyes there is only one Speedmaster, the hesalite crystal original Moonwatch. ��
    Last edited by JeremyO; 8th January 2020 at 19:15.

I've had the hessalite Speedmaster Pro and would and loved it, but if I was to get another I'd go for the Sapphire Sandwich. The movement is too nice to be hidden behind a solid caseback.

Craftsman
    I've fallen down a rabbit hole now of Speedmasters!

After a whole night of research flip flopping between the 3954, new speedy pro, 60th anniversary I think I have settled onthe FOIS. Granted its not 100% accurate but it does seem to be a very nice reproduction but with some modern touches such as the sapphire glass,. It might be the perfect one for me as my wrists are only 6.75" and it looks a shade dressier than the standard moonwatch.

I guess its lucky there are so many to choose from!

Banned
    I wonder how many variations of the Speedmaster there are now?
    My choice who be the speedy Tuesday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I wonder how many variations of the Speedmaster there are now?
    My choice who be the speedy Tuesday.
    From my research last night, the answer is 1 billion. ;)

Journeyman

Each to their own, but I'd definitely encourage you to stick with the classic hesalite version of the Speedmaster.

FOIS for me, if I ever purchase an Omega.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    From my research last night, the answer is 1 billion. ;)
    By the time you finished typing there were probably more variants announced!

Journeyman
    Here's the Racing Master Chrono, big at 44mm on my 18cm/7in wrist, but very legible and usable, which I value.

Last edited by VicLeChic; 9th January 2020 at 18:28.

Just something away from the normal

Master
    I have small wrists and opted for the FOIS because it definitely felt a better size than the standard moonwatch.

I happened to be in town today and tried one of these on:

Really surprised how much I liked it, and how special it felt - and although it’s a chunky watch it’s short lug to lug.

^^I saw one of those in WF. I’m not usually keen on that 70s block case shape, but I thought this one looked really good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post

Just something away from the normal

Like that, which model is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've had a few over the years and they've all gone. Most recently fell in love with the 41.5mm Speedmaster 57 but the DSOTM turned my head when I saw one on a deployant on SC. I can't see past it and feel it will stay and it's just ridiculously comfortable especially on the deployant. I have sub 7" wrists and usually anything over 42mm is a no no. But it's light and not annoying titanium light it's just light enough not to fall off your wrist at an annoying angle. Looks perfectly proportioned on my wrists too. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I've had a few over the years and they've all gone. Most recently fell in love with the 41.5mm Speedmaster 57 but the DSOTM turned my head when I saw one on a deployant on SC. I can't see past it and feel it will stay and it's just ridiculously comfortable especially on the deployant. I have sub 7" wrists and usually anything over 42mm is a no no. But it's light and not annoying titanium light it's just light enough not to fall off your wrist at an annoying angle. Looks perfectly proportioned on my wrists too. Love it.
    You just pipped me to the post on that one last week! I’d gone into the Omega boutique to try one on and PM’ed the seller afterwards. It looks fantastic...and I know what you mean about it being very comfortable. Congrats on a really nice watch...great picture.

I’ve since changed my mind again and am looking max 42mm because of my pencil wrist!

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Like that, which model is it ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I believe they were produced mainly for the Japanese market in the mid 90s
    Picked up this full set in Hong Kong some years ago

Craftsman
    FOIS is a lovely watch, I had one for a while but changed it for a 50th Anniversary of the 1957 watch.

My biggest issue with Omega is the shear number of models, and limited editions they have. I wish they would cut down on it a little.

Blog Entries
    My favourite would have to be the Tin Tin.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I've tried hard to like the classic hesalite moonwatch pro over the years. I like the 'idea' of it, and really do admire the pared back colour pallete, but it's not a watch that gives me any particular pleasure to look at on the wrist. And this coming from someone who's owned several of the LEs including an Alaska Project and an Apollo 11 45th.

It's probably the watch I've seen more images of than any other since I discovered watch forums, which may be a factor in why it feels just ordinary?

For a wrist on the slimmer side I think the '57 Trilogy Speedmaster is a good shout and nearly went for one myself.

Alternatively, for something a little different you could always do what I did last year and have a standard model converted to one of the dial/handset combos that are still available, such as the Mitsukoshi, etc. I personally have always had a soft spot for the grey racing dial, so that's the one I went with:

Easy for me is the white gold moonphase speedy. sadly traded back to Shalako the original owner now

Tricky question, tempted to say the Silver Snoopy, the Blue Gemini IV or the Apollo XI 35th anniversary panda, but I think on reflection my favourite is the Speedmaster Co-axial Moonphase in Black on a bracelet with the footprint on the NASA image of the moon. That is a stunning watch and slap bang up to date with all of Omegas latest offerings. Even the bracelet has half links and a three position easy slide adjustment on the inside of the clasp.

Not to everyone's taste and generally hated by the purists, but having owned one it is a stunner.