closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plumbing help - draining overhead shower

Plumbing help - draining overhead shower

I have a built in shower (Mira Element BIR) with the outlet going to an overhead shower head from the loft space. It's in a bathroom that rarely gets used. After use the water is not draining completely, then it sits for long periods (couple months+) of causing the shower head to scale up. We have the same shower in another room and it's fine as it gets daily use.

Could I fit some kind air admittance check valve in the loft pipe run (15mm copper) so that when the water isn't running opens to allow air in to drain more efficiently? obviously when running the water flow would close the valve preventing a loft water feature. I have fitted an air admittance valve on waste pipes before to achieve better flow which gave me the idea.

I have also considered putting a checkvalve just before the shower head but not sure if this would help, locking the water into the pipe and allowing just the shower head to drain.

I have checked online and while the problem appears often not many effective solutions are given, any help appreciated.

I would hazard that you will need a vacuum-break valve in the loft, but would make sure that if it doesn’t close when the water pressure is present- that it drains externally.