closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster 3570.50 value

Craftsman

Speedmaster 3570.50 value

I will start by saying this is NOT a stealth sales post as I already have a buyer lined up for my Speedmaster 3570.50.
    I am really struggling to put a value on this watch. I want to be fair to the buyer who is a good friend and we have bought and sold to each other in the past.
    The watch is in very good condition from October 2000 and I have had since November 2011. There is no service history and it is complete with inner and outer cardboard box, warranty card three booklets. There is no hangtag
    I have tried searching here and eBay (both current and sold listings) for an idea of value but struggling. There are plenty of older models and loads of current models but nothing of note for this age of watch.
    I have included a few pictures. It lived in a safe for most of its life with the previous owner and I have worn it sparingly.
    My thoughts at the moment is between £2500-£3000 but I maybe miles out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    If I was selling to my friend 2.2k would seem 'friendly'. A quick look on C24 should help you.

Nearer your lower estimate. A shade over £3k will get you a new one from Chronext. Around £2500 will get you a used one from Europe.

You're unlikely to get more than £2k from Watchfinder so have that in mind if selling to a pal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    If I was selling to my friend 2.2k would seem 'friendly'. A quick look on C24 should help you.
    Ok I will take a closer look on C24. Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Nearer your lower estimate. A shade over £3k will get you a new one from Chronext. Around £2500 will get you a used one from Europe.

You're unlikely to get more than £2k from Watchfinder so have that in mind if selling to a pal.
    Thanks, the last thing I want to do is ask too much. It seems strange that this age of Speedy doesn't seem plentiful.

I was recently Speedmaster hunting and had a few offers of older complete sets for £2600. I couldn’t justify spending £2600 on a 10 year old watch when a new model could be had for a shade over £3000. The strange thing with Speedy’s is that on SC you see quite an age range with some newer big box sets going for £2500 whilst the older ones also seem to go up at a similar price.

Consider the fact that if you go through Heathrow, you could probably pick up a duty paid, brand new big box Speedy for £3300 or chronext £3390, then £3000 for a 20 year old watch seems like extremely poor value.

A new watch doesn’t require a service (£630), won’t be polished and will come with a 5 year warranty. Having clean lines, a fresh movement, a 5-year warranty and new bracelet is certainly worth more than £800 for me.

Taking inflation into account, the Speedy was originally about £1600 of today’s money when purchased new and having bought and sold 3 Speedy’s in the past I reckon in Nov 2011, that would have been £1200-1300 on Sales Corner.

All in all, it depends what you put on ‘mates rates’. Personally, I would pay £2000 maximum or skip for a newer version but I understand this is a personal thing as going by SC, it appears some people would happily save a couple of hundred pounds and get a 20 year old used watch instead of a new one.

Edited to add: the above idea is good...get a Watchfinder quote and unless it is ridiculously low, use that as a judge of value.
    Last edited by Christian; 7th January 2020 at 11:58.

2.5k-3k is way out let alone mates rates and not a full set.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    2.5k-3k is way out let alone mates rates and not a full set.
    but don't you think that it would sell on here for £2,500, Wiley?

I've never really liked Speedmasters as a wearer, but they seem to be very popular on here at around £2,5k

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

I've never really liked Speedmasters as a wearer, but they seem to be very popular on here at around £2,5k
    Sold mine on here (2016) with a fresh service, warranty and the extra adjustable seamaster clasp with full box and papers for £2.5k less than a year ago.

It's obviously going to be worth more than £1.8k but 2.5-3k is dreaming. Minimum £2k maximum £2.25k but as with most things depends where the buyer and seller are comfortable dealing within that range.

For example I think you paid a tiny bit too much for the SLA017 but now a month later I'm jealous and wondering why I was being stupid about not wanting to 'over pay' when for the sake of £200 it could be on my wrist now and I could be enjoying it and not you!

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Latest ref big box models have sold here for £2500. I'm not sure a 20 year old unserviced model would reach that price here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sold mine on here (2016) with a fresh service, warranty and the extra adjustable seamaster clasp with full box and papers for £2.5k less than a year ago.

It's obviously going to be worth more than £1.8k but 2.5-3k is dreaming. Minimum £2k maximum £2.25k but as with most things depends where the buyer and seller are comfortable dealing within that range.

For example I think you paid a tiny bit too much for the SLA017 but now a month later I'm jealous and wondering why I was being stupid about not wanting to 'over pay' when for the sake of £200 it could be on my wrist now and I could be enjoying it and not you!
    just a bit OT, sorry
    the SLA017 is just lovely and although it's termed a "diver" it's a great "dress watch" - it is just comfortable to wear, Seiko have produced some really good stuff - but the lume on most of the new "diver" watches has just got too "blobby" for me......... not that I have bought any, mind you
    If you could get a really really good 62MAS for £1,5k to £2k, I think that would be very satisfying

agree with others here - I wouldn't pay more than £2000 for this - for around £500 more I could get a much newer one that doesn't need a service... perhaps £2100 at a push...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I was recently Speedmaster hunting and had a few offers of older complete sets for £2600. I couldn’t justify spending £2600 on a 10 year old watch when a new model could be had for a shade over £3000. The strange thing with Speedy’s is that on SC you see quite an age range with some newer big box sets going for £2500 whilst the older ones also seem to go up at a similar price.

Consider the fact that if you go through Heathrow, you could probably pick up a duty paid, brand new big box Speedy for £3300 or chronext £3390, then £3000 for a 20 year old watch seems like extremely poor value.

A new watch doesn’t require a service (£630), won’t be polished and will come with a 5 year warranty. Having clean lines, a fresh movement, a 5-year warranty and new bracelet is certainly worth more than £800 for me.

Taking inflation into account, the Speedy was originally about £1600 of today’s money when purchased new and having bought and sold 3 Speedy’s in the past I reckon in Nov 2011, that would have been £1200-1300 on Sales Corner.

All in all, it depends what you put on ‘mates rates’. Personally, I would pay £2000 maximum or skip for a newer version but I understand this is a personal thing as going by SC, it appears some people would happily save a couple of hundred pounds and get a 20 year old used watch instead of a new one.

Edited to add: the above idea is good...get a Watchfinder quote and unless it is ridiculously low, use that as a judge of value.
    Very good summary, I'd say. The cost of used examples is all over the place, and I think they're often too expensive compared to deals available on new; the exception would be properly older tritium dials (say, 145.022s from the late 80's/early 90's). A very slight premium there is acceptable, I think, as they're often beautifully aged but still lovely useable watches.

I’d find it hard to cough even £2K for one that old with no service history.

Too many other good ‘uns around.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the comments, I have to agree with everything said so far.
    My valuation was quite possibly wishful thinking, a sanity check is often needed hence my original question.
    I think Speedmasters seem to sell on here at a keener price compared to other places, especially some of the really good prices on much newer big box versions.
    With this in mind if ever I need to buy another replacement at a later date, if I regret letting this one go, I will be able to replace it without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Very good summary, I'd say. The cost of used examples is all over the place, and I think they're often too expensive compared to deals available on new; the exception would be properly older tritium dials (say, 145.022s from the late 80's/early 90's). A very slight premium there is acceptable, I think, as they're often beautifully aged but still lovely useable watches.
    Agree, below is essentially the same watch as yours from the 90's (robbed of tinternet), the Tritium makes all the difference and will increase the price.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Agree, below is essentially the same watch as yours from the 90's (robbed of tinternet), the Tritium makes all the difference and will increase the price.

Stop it please!!!

Grand Master
    Tritium would put me off, I prefer to see the later luminova because it doesn`t age, and if the hands have to be replaced they always match. For this reason I dislike working on tritium ones, if the lume falls off the hands when they're being removed there's a problem.....and I don`t like problems. Reluming hands to match luminova, or replacing hands, is far more straightforward.

The lack of service history is a factor against this watch, for that reason I'd factor in the cost of getting it serviced if I was buying. If it hasn`t been touched in 19+ years it'll certainly benefit from some attention and at Omega prices that'll be a few £££. There are cheaper alternatives but that doesn`t suit everyone.

I'd price it around £1800-£1900, possibly a tad higher because cosmetically it looks good and would only need the lightest refinish to look like new again.

Master
    I’ve always kept an eye on Speedies on SC. Big box Speedies are good value at £2500 ish on SC, but I think the prices are pushing up a bit with recent Omega price rises. Older ones go for around £1800-2300 depending on service history, full or not so full set, and condition?

With recent price rises, I’d be surprised to see anything going under £1900 or so these days, unless it’s a loose one needing service.

With a likely need for a service, I’d say £2000 would be a fair price for this one for a mate. Serviced with an Omega AD in-house watchmaker for around £400 gets you a watch with 2 year warranty for £2400.
    Last edited by Berty234; 8th January 2020 at 14:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    £1500 tops

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Say what??? That’s a bit bonkers innit :)

I think between Berty and walkerwek we have a spot-on estimate...price range £1800-£2000 depending on how good mates you are!
    Last edited by Christian; 7th January 2020 at 22:19.

Personally, I would check what Watchfinder are offering if you were looking to sell in general. But to a mate, just be realistic and fair. Watchfinder will pay £2750 for a VGC recent big box Speedmaster, so they may well pay a fair amount for a previous model.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    £1500 tops

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Think your looking at Speedie reduced prices!

Craftsman
    Thanks all for the input, I will ask Watchfinder tomorrow for a price and report back.
    I think the £1500 is a bit low!
    My expectations have been lowered somewhat and really glad I asked to be honest. I am now thinking £2000.
    I am timing it at the moment to see how it is running.
    It really is in pretty much unmarked condition. It has had a very sheltered life. I don't believe it has ever been polished, the edges are very sharp

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Thanks all for the input, I will ask Watchfinder tomorrow for a price and report back.
    For fun, I’m going to guess they give you a range £1600-£1800.

Craftsman
    For fun, I’m going to guess they give you a range £1600-£1800.
    Well I have the offer from Watchfinder and it is between £1600-£1775, so not a bad guess!

Not far off what I thought they might offer. Factor in they will provide a full personal warranty in sale, but also add around 50%+ to their buy price on a lot of their stuff.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    agree with others here - I wouldn't pay more than £2000 for this - for around £500 more I could get a much newer one that doesn't need a service... perhaps £2100 at a push...
    agreed

Well I have the offer from Watchfinder and it is between £1600-£1775, so not a bad guess!
    I’ve definitely played the “guess the SC price” far too much.

Craftsman
    I’ve definitely played the “guess the SC price” far too much.
    You obviously spend far too much time looking in SC!

I know I do, in fact I must stop as I have a rather nice incoming I am picking up on Friday.

I will update once I have it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neilm_83 View Post
    agreed
    I have passed on the price of £2000 to him, which he seems happy with.

I have two watches that he is interested in so a 'bundle' deal is being agreed as I type. He is thinking it over.

For Speedy independent servicing who is the recommended? I can pass on the name to my mate.

Thanks again for all the help and comments.

I have passed on the price of £2000 to him, which he seems happy with.

I have two watches that he is interested in so a 'bundle' deal is being agreed as I type. He is thinking it over.

For Speedy independent servicing who is the recommended? I can pass on the name to my mate.

Thanks again for all the help and comments.
    That seems like a sensible deal for both parties!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Tritium would put me off, I prefer to see the later luminova because it doesn`t age, and if the hands have to be replaced they always match. For this reason I dislike working on tritium ones, if the lume falls off the hands when they're being removed there's a problem.....and I don`t like problems. Reluming hands to match luminova, or replacing hands, is far more straightforward. ....
    I have a 'new' Luminova dial, removed at birth by a watchmaker when doing a Mitsukoshi dial implant. If you ever want to swap an old Tritium dial just drop me a line.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I have a 'new' Luminova dial, removed at birth by a watchmaker when doing a Mitsukoshi dial implant. If you ever want to swap an old Tritium dial just drop me a line.
    I’ve made a similar comment to people on the Rolex forum when I hear a similar thing about sub dials.

random comment about someone’s Submariner with tan lume... “never seen the fascination, it’s damage, would much rather have a new dial”

Craftsman
    I have timed the Speedy over the last 24hrs and it is running plus 14 seconds.
    Is this about right or does it need a service/regulating?

If it’s not been serviced in the last 20 years I’d say it’s due one.

Definately starting to sound like an old fart now, I bought and sold one about 3-4 years ago for £650 and ones that had a bracelet and a recent service were around the £1,200 mark. I'm clearly out of touch on these now. The reduced is a great model and being an automatic did appeal to me. I remember someone on here selling one with a white dial which was rather nice.

Grand Master
    I have timed the Speedy over the last 24hrs and it is running plus 14 seconds.
    Is this about right or does it need a service/regulating?

After 20 years the lubrication to some areas will be totally dried up. The amplitude is likely to be reduced, but a timegrapher is needed to show this.

Putting it bluntly, the new owner of this watch is very unwise if he decides against having it serviced, just accept that fact and work it out between you.

If someone asked me to regulate a watch that hadn’t been serviced in 20 years I’d refuse, it makes no sense. Sure, the timekeeping might improve slightly if regulated but this is like papering over cracks.

Why do people struggle to accept that a watch needs lubrication to run correctly, after 20 yrs that lubrication is bound to be compromised? It’s on par with believing the earth is flat!

This is an excellent example, cosmetic condition is good, it hasn’t been monkeyed with, but the watch needs servicing! It needs stripping down, cleaning, building back up and re- lubricating using the correct synthetic lubricants. I would also look very carefully at the seals on the crown and pushers at this age.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    After 20 years the lubrication to some areas will be totally dried up. The amplitude is likely to be reduced, but a timegrapher is needed to show this.

Putting it bluntly, the new owner of this watch is very unwise if he decides against having it serviced, just accept that fact and work it out between you.

If someone asked me to regulate a watch that hadn’t been serviced in 20 years I’d refuse, it makes no sense. Sure, the timekeeping might improve slightly if regulated but this is like papering over cracks.

Why do people struggle to accept that a watch needs lubrication to run correctly, after 20 yrs that lubrication is bound to be compromised? It’s on par with believing the earth is flat!

This is an excellent example, cosmetic condition is good, it hasn’t been monkeyed with, but the watch needs servicing! It needs stripping down, cleaning, building back up and re- lubricating using the correct synthetic lubricants. I would also look very carefully at the seals on the crown and pushers at this age.
    Yes a service is going to be carried out. It will certainly need one after 20 years as you have stated. I am surprised it runs as well as it does.

Grand Master
    The only way to check how a watch is really running is to put it on a timegrapher, but sometimes a watch with totally bone- dry balance pivot jewels can give surprisingly good amplitude!

Just taken a late 50s Omega apart, that looked reasonable on the timegrapher but the balance end- jewels were bone- dry when I stripped it down, this watch hadn’t been serviced for a long time and apart from some dried - up gummy traces there was no lubricant to be seen!