closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Mclaren

Master

Buying a Mclaren

A 40 min vlog. Some of you may have seen the vlogger before but he seems rational. It didn't seem a great experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7qpUqwLS9o

Master
    Wow!

I'd usually say "vote with your feet" in this instance, although I'm not sure many of us are in Mclaren territory anyway, I hardly see a TZUK ban on buying will hurt their bottom line.

On a side note, anyone watch the Shmee150 supercar vids? I was tagged into the Mclaren video a few days ago after watching some of his recent content on Youtube, but I've taken his channel off my alerts now - very very boring watching him spurt over all the nice cars he has or "sharing the experience" as he buys a new one. Or plugs his mates insurance company. I remember his garage tours and supercar reviews which were very entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Wow!

I'd usually say "vote with your feet" in this instance, although I'm not sure many of us are in Mclaren territory anyway, I hardly see a TZUK ban on buying will hurt their bottom line.

On a side note, anyone watch the Shmee150 supercar vids? I was tagged into the Mclaren video a few days ago after watching some of his recent content on Youtube, but I've taken his channel off my alerts now - very very boring watching him spurt over all the nice cars he has or "sharing the experience" as he buys a new one. Or plugs his mates insurance company. I remember his garage tours and supercar reviews which were very entertaining to watch.
    Shmee150 does my head in too.... BUT... on Youtube VR this week (I use an Oculus GO headset) Mercedes did a 180 degree VR tour of their unseen garages where they store all their prototypes and ex DTM cars. Shmee did the video and it was brilliant. They even took time to place the 180 camera into the drivers seat of some of the cars so you could have a look around for yourself.

He's redeemed himself a bit to me after that! Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsk...l-DI&index=769

Master
    There's also a follow up 20min one if anyone wants even more detail.

Jame's is my favourite car youtuber nowadays, been following him for a good few years having found his early Lotus content.
    Good to see him gaining traction & getting views.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    A 40 min vlog. Some of you may have seen the vlogger before but he seems rational. It didn't seem a great experience.

Could we have an executive summary please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Could we have an executive summary please.
    Agree...I’m interested but not 40(+20) minute interested.

Father and and bought a McLaren each from the Manchester dealership; both cars were faulty; after sales service was sh*te.

I have had no issue with my McLaren nor with McLaren Manchester. Their service has been great and the car perfect.

That sheet of paper to sign no longer exists now and was a Synter thing not a McLaren brand thing.

Youtubers earn a living sensationalising their videos for maximum views and I am afraid this one is no different.

Master
    Guy in the car club bought a McLaren after finding Aston Martin quality and customer service are sh*te, loves it as do a couple of guys that track their’s at my local circuit, from my experience in the passenger seat I’d have one-if they’d knock a zero off the price.

Quite a few years ago, I helped run an Aston Martin launch event to which valued customers were invited to attend. I’ve never seen such a rum bunch of people and it was certainly an eye-opener some of the types with money to burn. I even had personal property stolen from me by one of the invitees. I remember a few of the dealership guys tell me they’d never buy an Aston themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post

I watched this last week along with the follow-up video - all quite shocking, to be honest.

McLaren aren't known for being bullet proof with plenty of people reporting non-mechanical concerns, even their press cars have had issues. The GT reviewed on Carwow's YT channel had infotainment/air-con issues during the review itself.

Craftsman
    I watches the original 40 minute video and the 20 minute follow up.

Not surprised about the QC issues, I think every small-scale manufacturer has issues. Even huge manufacturers have recalls over safety critical parts. (Toyota’s multiple brake system related recalls spring to mind)

More surprising was the way both owners were treated by the dealership, and McLaren HQ’s lack of willingness to comment. Paraphrasing as I can’t remember the exact quote JM gave but “You keep making problems, maybe you’re not McLaren customers” nearly made me fall out of my chair.

I’m not saying that, were I lucky enough to be in a position to own a car of that value, that I’d steer clear. I’m sure JM’s report represents a rare blip for McLaren but JM’s video highlights incredibly poor customer service.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I have had no issue with my McLaren nor with McLaren Manchester. Their service has been great and the car perfect.

That sheet of paper to sign no longer exists now and was a Synter thing not a McLaren brand thing.

Youtubers earn a living sensationalising their videos for maximum views and I am afraid this one is no different.

I watched the whole first video 浪 - thought it quite a balanced approach where the blame was the dealer not Mclaren headquarters.

Loved the bit about if you leave the car in the rain the knock sensor will fail and need replacing 
    Last edited by MattH; 7th January 2020 at 15:19.

The cars are mega pieces of British engineering with styling as if dropped from space, and offer superlative driving experience. Is fair to say the annoying (usually) non mechanical issues (such as electrical gremlins, etc) affect random cars, some owners literally have zero issues. Ditto the aftersales experiences of owners at the various dealers within official network. The same can be said of Porsche, Ferrari, et al - similar vlogs have been posted over time. McLaren is not alone here. I hope the Manchester chap gets his car sorted asap, no doubt the heavy social media exposure of his plight will encourage speedy resolution of issues.

I know of a guy who's owned most Super car brands, he currently has an Enzo and a Laferrari among other cars, he said McLaren was the worst customer service he's ever experienced on high level Cars and would never buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I know of a guy who's owned most Super car brands, he currently has an Enzo and a Laferrari among other cars, he said McLaren was the worst customer service he's ever experienced on high level Cars and would never buy another one.
    but probably not even close to the worst reliability of some other super cars
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    How times change. 30 years ago if you bought a Ferrari or Lamborghini you accepted that things would go wrong on it and just take it on the chin as part of owning some Italian exotica.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How times change. 30 years ago if you bought a Ferrari or Lamborghini you accepted that things would go wrong on it and just take it on the chin as part of owning some Italian exotica.
    True but in France it was said 40 + rears ago that Jags were fabulous if you could afford to keep your mechanic in the boot.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The secondhand market for McLaren is pretty weak these days.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    unfortunately I think that’s still the case, at least for Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The secondhand market for McLaren is pretty weak these days.
    It does seem that way, but Ferrari hiked their prices and upped their warranties - people are rightly put off buying 100k+ car without a full comprehensive warranty, and not too many people can afford to drop 10’s of thousands each year on depreciation. I do think that some McLaren models are getting close to their bottom price though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Won't be buying a McLaren from McLaren Manchester!! 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    True but in France it was said 40 + rears ago that Jags were fabulous if you could afford to keep your mechanic in the boot.
    And that's changed how?
    Diabolical reliability according to Which?
    Almost bottom of table, poor for what's supposed to be a quality car.

Buying a Mclaren

It has changed in 2 ways. First, I’ve been living here for 23 years so not au fait of what people say about Jaguar now in France and second, my first car here was an XJ 6 cylinders (last of inline 6) and I travelled for work across Belgium, Holland, Germany, France and Spain with it without even so much as a hiccup.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 8th January 2020 at 00:37.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I went to school with the UK production director of mclaren- needless to say that story doesn’t surprise me