closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Ed White Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think it is £11K because Omega marketing have set that price - simple really.

You owe me £5 btw. (Price of an argument).
    £5 are you doing an Omega on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This must be the best looking Speedmaster i know!

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    This must be the best looking Speedmaster i know!
    So basically, since 1964 Omega wasn't able to come up with something better.

I do agree.

Still: stretching it. At this price so much can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Then it isn’t for you.

Then it might not be for you.

It isn’t for “an average watch buyer”. Maybe not for you.

The target consumer would likely not be buying cheap grey market Rolex or care about limited editions.

Why on earth do people who don’t like the watch &/or can’t justify the price &/or would rather spend the necessary coin on something else get so concerned about Omega’s pricing strategy for one Sku? Just don’t buy the fecking thing if you think it overpriced,
    Why get concerned? Because bloody Omega will ramp the price of anything if this is a sales success...
    It's just a matter of time...

£ 11’300.00

Last edited by TKH; 11th March 2020 at 08:18.

The reason people are discussing the price and whether they like it or not is this is Watch Talk.

I’ve never been a fan of the Speedy but I understand it’s popularity. I know less about movements than I do Brand, and IMHO Omega have flogged the Speedy to death. As they have done with the Seamaster.

If I wanted the Ed White heritage I’d buy an original.

It’s all put me off the brand, so much so that I declined an original Railmaster. There is no logic to this hobby. Even more so when they are the Emperor’s new clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The reason people are worked up about the high price is because (like me) they actually quite fancy it, but the price is basically a little prohibitive.

You can get some absolutely awesome watches at 10-12k or equally build some pretty sublime 2-5 watch collections.

Let’s not get worked up over a few watches lads

They can't win really, if they put it out at £6k to £8k most would end up being flipped for an immediate profit. Perhaps the high asking price will deter the money lovers for once as there is clearly a high risk of failure here if profit is your first consideration. If that means the watches actually end up with the right people then that has to be a positive.

Maybe Rolex could learn a lesson from this instead of knocking out £7k GMTs that immediately trade for £15k.

New Ed White Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    The reason people are worked up about the high price is because (like me) they actually quite fancy it, but the price is basically a little prohibitive.

You can get some absolutely awesome watches at 10-12k or equally build some pretty sublime 2-5 watch collections.

Let’s not get worked up over a few watches lads

I’m not sure anyone has ever said the Ed White is the best you can buy for £11k it appeals to a number of people who appreciate the old but highly regarded movement and of course the history which Omega have exploited and continues to do so for more than 50 years..
    But put into context when people are happily following the herd and spending well in excess of £11k on mass produced overhyped tool watches.. is the watch that overpriced ???
    £11k gives you a huge number of real high quality options
    And I agree you get a pretty decent 4-5 watch collection of quality for that money..
    I guess we all make our choices..

The price does seem somewhat....

But then the standard Speedmaster price is incredible compared to even 10 years ago.

As with all luxury items, surely the retail price will always be hard to equate against the sum of the parts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    I’m not sure anyone has ever said the Ed White is the best you can buy for £11k it appeals to a number of people who appreciate the old but highly regarded movement and of course the history which Omega have exploited and continues to do so for more than 50 years..
    But put into context when people are happily following the herd and spending well in excess of £11k on mass produced overhyped tool watches.. is the watch that overpriced ???
    £11k gives you a huge number of real high quality options
    And I agree you get a pretty decent 4-5 watch collection of quality for that money..
    I guess we all make our choices..

What would you prefer at 11k?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What would you prefer at 11k?

What a question.. there are just so many choices..
    £11k gets you into what I consider serious watch territory..
    Ignoring pieces that I already own and SS sports watches
    I think I would be looking 18k yellow gold preowned something maybe from A Lange&Sohne the 1815..maybe a Patek .. a JLC moon phase Reverso..I believe the 36mm Daydate offers tremendous value if you can find something with a unusual dial.. there are just so many.. I love Vintage Heuer/Vacheron the list is endless ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    What a question.. there are just so many choices..
    £11k gets you into what I consider serious watch territory..
    Ignoring pieces that I already own and SS sports watches
    I think I would be looking 18k yellow gold preowned something maybe from A Lange&Sohne the 1815..maybe a Patek .. a JLC moon phase Reverso..I believe the 36mm Daydate offers tremendous value if you can find something with a unusual dial.. there are just so many.. I love Vintage Heuer/Vacheron the list is endless ..
    Surely the new 321 wouldn’t be out of place with any of those though. Maybe not first choice depending on preference but still a feasible alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely the new 321 wouldn’t be out of place with any of those though. Maybe not first choice depending on preference but still a feasible alternative

Absolutely.. I was trying to avoid the SS sports range.

Thought I would bump this, seems to have gone very quiet over the last few months. Did anyone place a deposit/order and when are they likely to hit the streets.

Be interesting to see how these trade second hand once a few are out there and people start flipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thought I would bump this, seems to have gone very quiet over the last few months. Did anyone place a deposit/order and when are they likely to hit the streets.

Be interesting to see how these trade second hand once a few are out there and people start flipping.
    I was apparently first on the list at the Royal Exchange boutique (confirmed by the manager there when we spoke). Since then I've heard nothing and am no longer interested anyway.

I think they've been severely delayed due to Covid - that's what I could deduce in an idle moment of trying to find forum hands on opinions (I couldn't find any being delivered yet). So I've deduced we may not see them till end year.

Bumping this back up and asking if people are still waiting? First on list,important anniversary passed,deposit paid and 16 months waiting with no communication from the AD....what upsets me is the conveyor chain of new releases since I.e. New speedmaster, new silver snoopy and just now watching the CEO of omega telling Revolution how important it was to supply the product as soon as possible and not disappoint customers whilst talking about them making the 321 speedie directly behind him as he was speaking - the workshop was empty!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 21st April 2021 at 10:55.

A couple have appeared on the forum and Kash sold his on SC as I recall. I think a few have even been offered them and turned them down.

I take the view that if Omega announce a new watch it is going to be 18-24 months before those are widely available. Shame the CEO doesn't follow his own words, make the watches, have them ready for shipping then make the big announcements.

I’d be writing a letter to said CEO and telling him how dissatisfied you are.

A couple have appeared on the forum and Kash sold his on SC as I recall. I think a few have even been offered them and turned them down.

I take the view that if Omega announce a new watch it is going to be 18-24 months before those are widely available. Shame the CEO doesn't follow his own words, make the watches, have them ready for shipping then make the big announcements.
    I bought Kash’s watch, Ken. My local AD hasn’t seen one in months from what i’ve heard... it’s a shame indeed

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    I’d be writing a letter to said CEO and telling him how dissatisfied you are.

Unfortunately you probably wont even get a reply

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I did an arrival thread back in December. I got it quite unexpectedly early from the Boutique but my impression was that these are quite a bit easier to get than the new Snoopy. Anyway I love mine, great dial, great bracelet and really comfortable to wear. My first Speedmaster and I’m very impressed. Compares very favourably to my white ceramic Daytona which make a great contrasting pair imo. And I am a sucker for a nice displayback!

Master
    I assume that strictly limited supply is crucial to the long-term reputation (and value) of this model. In some ways, the new standard Speedmaster offers a superior spec at half the price...but it’s not an Ed White.
    Interesting to contrast with a Daytona; it’s certainly a lot rarer than the Rolex . And, for me, better looking.

I asked through the omega website for the Leeds boutique and was told likely 10 year wait… shame

Journeyman
    I visited the Omega boutique this week for a 1-1 presentation on the 2021 new releases. It was a great visit and they gave me some small gifts (pen, travel case, loupe).

As part of the presentation we compared my 321 with the new moonwatch. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo, but I was struck as how “busy” the new moonwatch dial looked compared to the 321. The white markers round the edge were noticeably brighter than the off white ones on my 321. I wasn’t expecting to see much difference but the contrasting look is very obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster View Post
    I visited the Omega boutique this week for a 1-1 presentation on the 2021 new releases. It was a great visit and they gave me some small gifts (pen, travel case, loupe).

As part of the presentation we compared my 321 with the new moonwatch. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo, but I was struck as how “busy” the new moonwatch dial looked compared to the 321. The white markers round the edge were noticeably brighter than the off white ones on my 321. I wasn’t expecting to see much difference but the contrasting look is very obvious.

Did you like the new Speedmaster? The 321 is pretty perfect to my eye but was wondering how the 2021 models compare

Craftsman
    That’s interesting to hear, I wasn’t keen on the busier markings around the edge of the dial when I saw pics but wasn’t sure it it would be noticeable in the flesh.

Am I right to assume that the boutique invited you to the viewing?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Did you like the new Speedmaster? The 321 is pretty perfect to my eye but was wondering how the 2021 models compare

For me personally, not really for the reasons I give above. This side by side comparison has really confirmed my preference for the 321.

However, I also tried on the new white gold, white face Speedmaster and I did really like that one. Will never purchase it given the price but the edge markings seem to blend in more.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    That’s interesting to hear, I wasn’t keen on the busier markings around the edge of the dial when I saw pics but wasn’t sure it it would be noticeable in the flesh.

Am I right to assume that the boutique invited you to the viewing?
    Yes I was invited by the boutique. They have impressed me with their friendly personal service. Most of the models they showed me aren’t available yet and there was no pressure at all.

Craftsman
    That’s great, sounds like good fun.