closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Ed White Speedmaster

expressed my interest online on Omega site and Received email today from Omega stating :

"The Speedmaster Calibre 321 Stainless Steel will be available early 2020.

If you are interested in receiving the watch, could you kindly confirm in person by visiting:

OMEGA Boutique

The Trafford Centre

3 The Dome

M17 8DF Manchester

United Kingdom"

anyone else received this email ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    expressed my interest online on Omega site and Received email today from Omega stating :

"The Speedmaster Calibre 321 Stainless Steel will be available early 2020.

If you are interested in receiving the watch, could you kindly confirm in person by visiting:

OMEGA Boutique

The Trafford Centre

3 The Dome

M17 8DF Manchester

United Kingdom"

anyone else received this email ?
    Not me. Mine said:

“We received your reservation request for the OMEGA Moonwatch Calibre 321 (311.30.40.30.01.001).
    Your OMEGA concierge will contact you shortly to organise the purchase, as well as delivery to your nearest OMEGA Boutique.
    Sincerely,
    Your OMEGA Team.”

I am not expecting to be allocated a watch. I assume that putting an expression of interest process on the website was just someone screwing up.

Really the only way of ensuring you are going to be involved is to pay a visit to the boutique and have a good chat about the watch.

I think the old "buying history" chestnut is going to rear it's ugly head with this piece.

I was in the TC OB yesterday and the chat was that they hadn't been exactly overwhelmed with enquiries at this stage but did have a number of firm expressions of interest from the people they had expected to hear from.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Really the only way of ensuring you are going to be involved is to pay a visit to the boutique and have a good chat about the watch.

I think the old "buying history" chestnut is going to rear it's ugly head with this piece.

I was in the TC OB yesterday and the chat was that they hadn't been exactly overwhelmed with enquiries at this stage but did have a number of firm expressions of interest from the people they had expected to hear from.
    The only overwhelming thing is the incredible price!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    The only overwhelming thing is the incredible price!
    Yes even the OB Manager was rather taken aback by the RRP.

He did mention that it was now unlikely according to his sources, that the 321 would make it in to the proposed Snoopy LE due later this year which is a bit disappointing for me.

Craftsman
    Obviously a great looking tribute to highly sought after watch. Had this been around the £6-7k mark, I could sort of understand that and would be in the market for one, but the asking price is just crazy. Definitely seems like they're attempting to go down the Rolex route.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Obviously a great looking tribute to highly sought after watch. Had this been around the £6-7k mark, I could sort of understand that and would be in the market for one, but the asking price is just crazy. Definitely seems like they're attempting to go down the Rolex route.

£6-7k is around what they'll be asking for a special edition with a bog standard, same as the regular moonwatch, movement. Why would they spend all that time and cost developing a new production facility to make a new 321 movements and charge the same as standard version.

As far as I can tell the Rolex model is to limit the supply of standard watches to increase demand. Omega doesn't seem to be following that model at all.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Yes even the OB Manager was rather taken aback by the RRP.

He did mention that it was now unlikely according to his sources, that the 321 would make it in to the proposed Snoopy LE due later this year which is a bit disappointing for me.
    Another Snoopy. Sell the kids, offer to part ex a kidney or the wife - you know before the damn thing has been made that most will be instantly flipped for silly money. Let's hope Omega knock out large numbers in order to prevent this from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Another Snoopy. Sell the kids, offer to part ex a kidney or the wife - you know before the damn thing has been made that most will be instantly flipped for silly money. Let's hope Omega knock out large numbers in order to prevent this from happening.
    Totally agree.Know of people getting two off previous L.E's - one to keep and one to sell.Hope Omega now wise to this.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Not sure I’m convinced by this ‘ new production facility’ story, I reckon the 1861 mainplate is v. similar to the 321, some mods required but nothing like starting from scratch. The rest of the bits can be remanufactured. Putting it simply, the price premium over the moonwatch doesn’t add up, it’s a v. expensive watch and it remains to be seen how popular it proves to be.

Omega could be playing a clever marketing game here, if supplies are limited and the hype pushes prices well above retail, they’ll be playing the Rolex game.

I’d take a punt on this and do my best to obtain one, but unless I really fell for the watch the motive would be profit.....rightly ir wrongly. I’m done with moralising over this, if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em and get your snout in the trough.

I’m up to my eyeballs in a house project this year, I need every £ I can get, so I won’t take the risk......but it’s a very appealing watch.

Craftsman
    FYI, OBs are currently taking special orders for this with 20% deposit.

Actually OB's taking 10% deposit about 3 weeks ago as SKU listed on system....they can only take deposits when omega list a stock control number and they can allocate a customer to a list
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    FYI, OBs are currently taking special orders for this with 20% deposit.
    Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Received an email from OB stating :

“ We have now had confirmation we can take pre orders on this time piece. As I am sure you are aware this watch has a very small production run and will be a very sought after time piece due to the 321 movement. The order time will currently be 6 months.

I have attached images of the time piece for you to browse.

The price of this watch is £11,300. To place an order, we can accept a 20% deposit at £2260”

Craftsman
    Eleven Grand ! Jeez that’s a dear do.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Eleven Grand ! Jeez that’s a dear do.

It’s just the wrong price isn’t it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a heck of a punt just to try and turn a profit so it may well put a lot of those people off.

Problem being it's going to put off enthusiasts too unless they really do have money to burn - it's just not worth that money no matter what way you look at it - I'd rather buy a vintage one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    It's a heck of a punt just to try and turn a profit so it may well put a lot of those people off.

Problem being it's going to put off enthusiasts too unless they really do have money to burn - it's just not worth that money no matter what way you look at it - I'd rather buy a vintage one.
    I won't be taking up my option should a get allocated one (allegedly I was first on the list at the Royal Exchange). It's just too expensive.

Edited to add: I was going to buy to keep, which makes the cost even more unpalatable.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th March 2020 at 09:55.

It’s a great piece at an acceptable price point the movement is exquisite and better imo than anything on offer from the current overhyped fan boy brand..
    Why has horology all become about turning a profit..,
    Buy watches you love for whatever reason and enjoy them
    Speculators and flippers are destroying our hobby..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    It’s a great piece at an acceptable price point the movement is exquisite and better imo than anything on offer from the current overhyped fan boy brand..
    Why has horology all become about turning a profit..,
    Buy watches you love for whatever reason and enjoy them
    Speculators and flippers are destroying our hobby..

Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Seriously???
    Manufacturers of all brands price items at what they feel the public will pay this is No ordinary £4K speedmaster..
    Take at look at other brands like Tag, Breitling and many many others and see what junk they are selling at prices they feel they can get away with.

Manufacturers of all brands price items at what they feel the public will pay this is No ordinary £4K speedmaster..
    Take at look at other brands like Tag, Breitling and many many others and see what junk they are selling at prices they feel they can get away with.

No argument there, but this is no £11k Speedmaster either. Having owned an original Ed White this was always going to be a dream watch for me. I won't pay that money, though.

No argument there, but this is no £11k Speedmaster either. Having owned an original Ed White this was always going to be a dream watch for me. I won't pay that money, though.
    It’s price point compares well to its competitors like say a Daytona.. you simply cannot compare what’s being offered between the 2 . Just in movement alone it’s in a different league.

I agree on the pricing, maybe 9k tops I could stomach but imo they are making to much of a play on the 321 with all this talk of a single dedicated watchmaker attending to the build from start to finish in a special lab blah blah..

My local OB want 20% up front with the first watches coming through by July although the havoc being caused by the Corona Virus may scupper that timetable. They state they are effectively being "built to order"

Ordering was possible with the deposit from 7th Feb and so far they have one deposit so not exactly a stampede, I am going in Monday to discuss but I can't see myself committing sadly.

New Ed White Speedmaster

It’s price point compares well to its competitors like say a Daytona.. you simply cannot compare what’s being offered between the 2 . Just in movement alone it’s in a different league.

Absolute nonsense. The Daytona houses one of the greatest chrono movements ever made so you’’’ve just lost most of your credibility.

I hear you with regards pricing and yes £11K is too much for any stainless steel watch but what can we do these are the prices and I would rather pay £11k on this than £5-8k on Tag/Breitling new edition junk watch...even though I own vintage Heuer and Breitling..

Omega has been exploiting the Moon ref forever you would have thought they built the rocket the way they go on about it.

Absolute nonsense. The Daytona houses one of the greatest chrono movements ever made so you’’’ve just lost most of your credibility.
    It’s a very good robust movement..greatest ever chrono movement are you serious... and I own a 16518 with a better movement than anything Rolex have ever produced..

It’s a very good robust movement..greatest ever chrono movement are you serious... and I own a 16518 with a better movement than anything Rolex have ever produced..

I said “one of”, and you really do need to stop pontificating about something you clearly know little about.

Omega has been exploiting the Moon ref forever you would have thought they built the rocket the way they go on about it.
    Well said that man !

Why when you have no argument do you insist on insults..shouldn’t it be a discussion rather than just throwing insults..

Some lovely Saturday morning aggression going on here, top work

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Some lovely Saturday morning aggression going on here, top work
    Guilty as charged. In my defence I was responding to a posting style that’s routinely aggressive, so I’d expect no more than a suspended sentence.

I agree it is a lot of money for basically a modern reproduction of a very old movement. Let’s be honest the new Omega movements are technically much better across the board and come in at a much lower price point.

Is £11k too much, I think so but they will sell them at that price especially at the start. It will never be a mass production watch and so I think we can expect them to hold their price better than most.

However, this is really for those watch collectors who love the history, the spot on details and of course a great movement that has been out of production/reach for many. The single watchmaker is also a nice idea and I don’t believe Omega are being dishonest here.

Whether they will sell the maximum 2000 pieces each year remains to be seen but I suspect that after the initial 1-2 ‘rush’ we will see this movement in other special editions.

At this time we have the platinum and the Ed White what will be there in 2-3 years?

Personally, I would snap one up at £8-9k which is still a silly price for a watch but I am also tempted at £11k but will need to hold my nerve and wait for a year or two after release to see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not sure I’m convinced by this ‘ new production facility’ story, I reckon the 1861 mainplate is v. similar to the 321, some mods required but nothing like starting from scratch. The rest of the bits can be remanufactured. Putting it simply, the price premium over the moonwatch doesn’t add up, it’s a v. expensive watch and it remains to be seen how popular it proves to be.

Omega could be playing a clever marketing game here, if supplies are limited and the hype pushes prices well above retail, they’ll be playing the Rolex game.

I’d take a punt on this and do my best to obtain one, but unless I really fell for the watch the motive would be profit.....rightly ir wrongly. I’m done with moralising over this, if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em and get your snout in the trough.

I’m up to my eyeballs in a house project this year, I need every £ I can get, so I won’t take the risk......but it’s a very appealing watch.
    Exactly as you wrote it down.
    In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying my original 105.003-65, I like it at the price I paid for it. I wouldn't fork out 11 grand for it.

Something of interest about vintage Speedmasters: yesterday, there was a topic on a Dutch watchforum about watches worn while racing.

Piers Courage was killed on the Zandvoort circuit in 1970. One young boy who was illegally looking at the race (trespassed) saw the incident happen and was very impressed. He went back a day later and found an Omega Speedmaster with straight lugs (either 105.002 or 2998), which he offered to return to the widow. She wrote him back, thanking him and telling him he could keep the watch. He had it serviced and wears it.

Link:
    http://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/horloge...-70s/248135/39
    Last edited by Bernard; 7th March 2020 at 12:42.

If you do get one don't sell it to the OP even if he promises that it is for himself and he will never sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If you do get one don't sell it to the OP even if he promises that it is for himself and he will never sell it.
    History here me thinks?

I am assuming some poor form put you in a bad position Ryan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Dan the charlatan isn’t coming back. Unless of course he reinvents himself as other spivs have done.

New Ed White Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I agree it is a lot of money for basically a modern reproduction of a very old movement. Let’s be honest the new Omega movements are technically much better across the board and come in at a much lower price point.

Is £11k too much, I think so but they will sell them at that price especially at the start. It will never be a mass production watch and so I think we can expect them to hold their price better than most.

However, this is really for those watch collectors who love the history, the spot on details and of course a great movement that has been out of production/reach for many. The single watchmaker is also a nice idea and I don’t believe Omega are being dishonest here.

Whether they will sell the maximum 2000 pieces each year remains to be seen but I suspect that after the initial 1-2 ‘rush’ we will see this movement in other special editions.

At this time we have the platinum and the Ed White what will be there in 2-3 years?

Personally, I would snap one up at £8-9k which is still a silly price for a watch but I am also tempted at £11k but will need to hold my nerve and wait for a year or two after release to see what happens!
    The whole pricing thing is interesting the companies are very aware of current trends and what the public are currently prepared to pay.
    We have seen substantial price hikes with many brands even those which I consider shopping mall watches let alone the currently unavailable pieces.
    When the market is happy to pay double RRP who can blame manufacturers wanting a larger slice of the cake..
    Just 4-5 years ago all of the current hot pieces were available at a discount so why wouldn’t Omega test todays market with the piece at £11k..when the current market is happily paying £20k for a SS Daytona.
    I don’t agree with it but can fully understand their position.

Master
    I love this watch but 11k is comedy money. I'd buy it around 6k.

I love this watch but 11k is comedy money. I'd buy it around 6k.
    But as many have said, why sell at £6k when you can sell them all at £11k in any case.

Omega are just following good sales practice, sell at the price the market can stand. Unfortunately, they are not too bothered about us ‘poorer’ collectors!

Blog Entries
    Why when you have no argument do you insist on insults..shouldn’t it be a discussion rather than just throwing insults..

I would rather pay £11k on this than £5-8k on Tag/Breitling new edition junk watch...

you have a rather insultative manner. Omega, Rolex, Breiting, (not sure about Tag) are similar standing.

on topic - the Cal 321 is old tech - I’d rather spend 4K on a new Speedmaster or a B-01 powered Breitling. I really can’t see spending 11K on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    you have a rather insultative manner. Omega, Rolex, Breiting, (not sure about Tag) are similar standing.

on topic - the Cal 321 is old tech - I’d rather spend 4K on a new Speedmaster or a B-01 powered Breitling. I really can’t see spending 11K on this.
    I think you are completely missing the point of course the Cal 321 is old tech that’s the whole point.
    Omega Rolex Breitling and probably Tag have better New movements available.
    The whole reason the piece is £11k is because numbers are limited to 1-2 thousand per year every piece being hand built from a company that mass produces over 1 million watches a year...

Why do you think it’s £11k ???

And the pieces available at £4K of course have a far more modern robust reliable movement...

Journeyman
    It is a great watch, but the money for it is nonsence imho... It is not 3x better than the standart Moonwatch...

But as many have said, why sell at £6k when you can sell them all at £11k in any case.

Omega are just following good sales practice, sell at the price the market can stand. Unfortunately, they are not too bothered about us ‘poorer’ collectors!
    I agree about charging what market will stand but the truth is with the exception of some of the LEs, Omegas are selling at significant discounts most of the time which makes a mockery of their retail prices.
    It is possible that initially the new Ed White will fetch the asking price but I am not sure it will sustain because while it is being produced in somewhat limited numbers, it is not really an LE.
    A limited edition Ed White May not only have fetched the asking price but can even imagine it fetching a premium.

Craftsman

Decision

Quote Originally Posted by brownwld View Post
    It is a great watch, but the money for it is nonsence imho... It is not 3x better than the standart Moonwatch...

I feel that will be the decision buyers will eventually be asking themselves when it comes to this release, is it that much better than the standard NASA approved Speedmaster which is readily available at a decent discount. It is certainly better than the 50th Anniversary release with prices on these after the initial spike dropping down with further to go I feel and that I feel was priced to high at £7k+.

The one benefit from the pricing of the 321 at £11k, is that I do not feel their is a profit to be had here for the serial flipper community and that the 321 will end up in the hands of genuine buyers. If this had been priced at the £7-8k by Omega we all know these would all be hitting the secondary market upon release at around £11-13k.

Junk! Ok....

New Ed White Speedmaster

It basically comes down to unless you have an appreciation of the legendary calibre 321 movement there is little point considering the piece..
    The display case back is the main draw
    £11k is a considered purchase with a version to suit every pocket.
    It will be interesting to see how it fares in the coming years ..for me this has the possibility to become Omega’s Daytona by keeping production low if demand remains high..
    I

Last edited by SteveM112; 7th March 2020 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by brownwld View Post
    It doesn’t need to be ‘better’, it needs to be more exclusive. White dial Snoopy’s aren’t any better than a standard Moonwatch, just more exclusive.

Master

I think they're overstretching though. I more than pause when considering 10k+, why would an average watch buyer buy this when they can get a grey Rolex + change. Also, it's not a numbered, ltd ed, is it?

Global slowdown, less tourists and Chinese buyers may mean this will be heavily discounted later.

Blog Entries
    I think you are completely missing the point of course the Cal 321 is old tech that’s the whole point.
    Omega Rolex Breitling and probably Tag have better New movements available.
    The whole reason the piece is £11k is because numbers are limited to 1-2 thousand per year every piece being hand built from a company that mass produces over 1 million watches a year...

Why do you think it’s £11k ???

And the pieces available at £4K of course have a far more modern robust reliable movement...

I think it is £11K because Omega marketing have set that price - simple really.

You owe me £5 btw. (Price of an argument).
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th March 2020 at 22:05.

Craftsman
    I think they're overstretching though.
    Then it isn’t for you.

I more than pause when considering 10k+
    Then it might not be for you.

why would an average watch buyer buy this.
    It isn’t for “an average watch buyer”. Maybe not for you.

when they can get a grey Rolex + change. Also, it's not a numbered, ltd ed, is it?
    The target consumer would likely not be buying cheap grey market Rolex or care about limited editions.

Why on earth do people who don’t like the watch &/or can’t justify the price &/or would rather spend the necessary coin on something else get so concerned about Omega’s pricing strategy for one Sku? Just don’t buy the fecking thing if you think it overpriced,