closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ed White Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Q1 2020 is the best I could get, although i think it was a guess.
    Cheers, was hoping it would be later this year - give me a chance to find £10k watch money!!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Forgetting the fauxtina thinking for a sec. If you could build that watch (like you would a car at a dealership) I would take that colour lume over bright white regardless of whether someone thinks it’s fake ageing or not. It’s just a preferable colour to me and doesn’t stand out all bright and white.
    I tend to agree. It was more a statement of what seems the norm these days.

I have a few watches with the coloured/aged lume, and I personally think it adds to the asthetics.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Go and give your inside man a smack . Even at 16k I think it'd sell. The point I struggle with is the co-axial chronographs are such fantastic movements, it feels odd going 'backwards'.
    I think you're trying to use too much logic here. Forget whether the co-axial escapement is used or not, co-axial isn`t necessarily better (that's been discussed to death in the past), but paying big money for a hand-wound movement that's an early 60s design is questionable. It could be argued that charging £4K for the Moonwatch which uses an ancient hand-wound movement also makes little sense, but that's the point; none of it makes rational sense and you can't equate any of it with 'value'. These things will sell well on the basis of the limited number available, whether they'll be worth buying for profit is open to debate, but I`m sure some folks will buy them on that basis.

Ideally, this should be produced alongside the current Moonwatch as an addition to the range, forget the limited edition hype and forget the 321 movement gimic, and sell at a more sensible price......but that's not the Omega way in this day and age.

It's far more appealing than a battered original at silly money, I`ve never understood the vintage Speedy hype.

It's far more appealing than a battered original at silly money, I`ve never understood the vintage Speedy hype.
    Me too...I’ve never really understood the lure of a battered old vintage piece with worn jangly bracelet....unless the watch has actually been into space or the moon.

For me its a really interesting hobby, learning about the little intricacies that make each reference different, the condition of each part, the history of the watch, the lume colour - the list goes on but I just really love vintage Speedmasters, same with Rolex, once you start collecting and learning its more than just a watch - shame its so bloody expensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Q1 2020 is the best I could get, although i think it was a guess.
    How many are they producing Tony ?

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    How many are they producing Tony ?
    I think it's going to be a staple model, with numbers constrained more due to manufacturing limitations than any intent to make it an LE. There'll be a separate plant, with each watchmaker responsible for an entire watch, end to end.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think you're trying to use too much logic here. Forget whether the co-axial escapement is used or not, co-axial isn`t necessarily better (that's been discussed to death in the past), but paying big money for a hand-wound movement that's an early 60s design is questionable. It could be argued that charging £4K for the Moonwatch which uses an ancient hand-wound movement also makes little sense, but that's the point; none of it makes rational sense and you can't equate any of it with 'value'. These things will sell well on the basis of the limited number available, whether they'll be worth buying for profit is open to debate, but I`m sure some folks will buy them on that basis.

Ideally, this should be produced alongside the current Moonwatch as an addition to the range, forget the limited edition hype and forget the 321 movement gimic, and sell at a more sensible price......but that's not the Omega way in this day and age.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I expect however the finishing is significantly better than the standard moonwatch

Master
    13000chf, that’s £10,200 right now. I assume vat will be added, if so , make it about £12000 all in. Fratello Watches has a decent write-up.
    Incidentally, you could make the case that the standard Speedy Pro, at a third of the price, is at least as ‘authentic’. Hexalite, closed back, metal bezel.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th January 2020 at 13:41.

Master
    I've been given a UK price of £11,300 and told the watch will be available in the first half of this year, so even more vague than Q1. I really like the watch and it is a very good size but at that price, I will most probably pass.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    13000chf, that’s £10,200 right now. I assume vat will be added, if so , make it about £12000 all in. Fratello Watches has a decent write-up.
    Incidentally, you could make the case that the standard Speedy Pro, at a third of the price, is at least as ‘authentic’. Hexalite, closed back, metal bezel.
    I'll say it - what will WatchFinder offer for the first couple they get offered??

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wish it was hesalite.

I love fauxtina and im not ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Probably not all that much if they match the lowball offer they gave me for my Speedmaster 50th Anniversary.
    I can imagine...thinking about the prices they offer, I guess they must shift 10 Rolex sports models for every Speedy sold.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Agree. I’m never going to buy a vintage piece but I prefer the colour. Don’t know why people dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I wish it was hesalite.

Why the wish for hesalite? Does it add that much 'character'?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I think this is to be sold a regular model, at least I haven't seen any mention of limited edition on either Fratello or Omega's websites.

It says £14,100 on their site!

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...31130403001001

That's a bit unfair for the UK market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasan View Post

13k CHF plus 20% VAT = 15600 CHF - which would have made Paul's intel of 16k plausible. However £14,100 translates to 18k CHF. Ouch.

Journeyman

When I open the link it shows £11,300.00.

...still ludicrously overpriced for what it is...

I like it a lot.
    I don’t particularly care about the 321 movement.
    Either go all original i.e non ceramic bezel, 321 movement, haselite or go with sapphire, newer co-axial movement and a ceramic bezel. Keep the fauxtina in any event.
    With a newer movement, it would be a serious challenge to Daytona for me.
    I like the regular Speedie as well but this just makes it that bit extra special.

Depends if you appreciate vintage or not, I love the warm hesalite look but I think the combination of ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal will give it a cold feel..

It’s lovely. It’s also too expensive. Shame, as I’d love one.

I seem to be saying this about almost all new Omegas these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post

Looks as if it was an error that has been quickly rectified as when I initially opened I also got the £14100.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    They must have modified the price on the link.....it was £14,100.

Craftsman
    Here’s a photo of the incorrect price that went up initially.

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Who thinks the bracelet will be available to purchase aftermarket for us FOIS owners?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Depends if you appreciate vintage or not, I love the warm hesalite look but I think the combination of ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal will give it a cold feel..
    I guess I'm so used to sapphire it is a mute point. I'm not a big fan of ceramic. though this seems to a compound for the bezel?

Craftsman

Limited

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It looks ace. And yes it's going to be expensive but why not? Nearly everything on this watch is unique to this model; case, bracelet, movement, dial, packaging and it'll still be a chunk of change less than you could buy a ceramic bezel Daytona.

Agree with Chris. £10k for a limited edition 321 movement of one of the Speedmaster’s greatest watches compared to the mass produced Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Agree with Chris. £10k for a limited edition 321 movement of one of the Speedmaster’s greatest watches compared to the mass produced Rolex.
    It’s not limited

Craftsman

Ludicrous

Ludicrous pricing could be directed to nearly every Swiss watch manufacturer. Omega a pricing this with the direct competition to the Rolex Daytona.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a personal preference really.. i like the warmth of hesalite and the mindless polywatching in front of the telly if it picks up marks.
    I suspect that the potential for "character" is down the spout with the sapphire bezel.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    It’s not limited

If they can only produce 2000 maximum of the 321 movement a year, then in my book I am going for limited.

I'm making a bold statement here but I think the price is too low. Could you imagine if Rolex spent two years recreating a Valjoux 72 movement and building them 'as new' to go in a ceramic bezel Paul Newman re-edition, with unique bracelet and packaging. Collectors would go nuts.

This new 321 is beautiful, and the whole thing is more unique than say a Snoopy which shared movements and case with a regular Speedy and sells for much more than this piece, limited or not it's going to be hard to get, and the prices could go in to orbit.

Reintroducing a movement with such an important reputation must therefore be done with the utmost exactness. For the Calibre 321 project, OMEGA utilised a dedicated team of experts who worked efficiently over two years and in total secrecy to bring the movement to life. The small group was composed of researchers, developers and historians, as well as the finest craftsmen and experienced watchmakers. To protect the project’s exclusive details, the team even worked under the codename “Alaska 11”, in line with the names that OMEGA used for its secret Speedmaster designs for NASA in the 1960s and 70s.

Using the 2nd generation Calibre 321 as a reference, the OMEGA team compiled extensive historical research and original plans to reconstruct the movement as accurately as possible. Going even further, they also used “tomography” technology (digital scanning method) to see inside the true Speedmaster ST 105.003 timepiece that astronaut Eugene “Gene” Cernan wore on the moon during the Apollo 17 mission in 1972. Cernan was the last man to walk on the lunar surface and his Speedmaster is now housed at the OMEGA Museum in Bienne. Its Calibre 321 provided the perfect design criteria for OMEGA to follow.

As a result, even the most unique and iconic parts of the Calibre 321 have been reborn in respect to their authentic specifications. The movement wonderfully corresponds to the “moon period” of OMEGA’s history, with a construction that completely respects the designs from the past.

The new movements will now go into production at OMEGA’s HQ site in Bienne. Uniquely, all aspects of creation will be undertaken within a dedicated Calibre 321 workshop. For each movement, the assembly, as well as the watch head and bracelet assembly will be performed by the same watchmaker. Watch fans can expect more developments and news in the coming months.

I like this new 321 based Speedmaster but would I sell my 64 Ed White to buy it - no chance, they can call it what they like but only 16000 pre-moon watches were made with many of those gone over the last 55 years.
    Like chrisparker said, I can see these changing hands for a lot more, especially in the first few years of production as it will mean only 4000 watches will be in the system with a lot more than 4000 buyers wanting them..

Imagine Rolex reissued the Newman Daytona, the watch world would lose its mind, here's hoping..

at half the price Omega are asking for this I would buy one immediately...

Craftsman

Wait

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Thank god for that
    I was truly worried that omega had gone out of business
    After all there has been no special editions for weeks

I think they wanted to wait until all the 50th Anniversary Moonwatch landing models were sold out with all the sales cash banked and then bring out this Speedmaster with the movement that everyone wanted in the Anniversary watch but never got.

With buyers paying over 30-40% on RRP for the Anniversary model, if I was one of them I would be crying into my coffee cup after this 321 movement announcement.

I think they wanted to wait until all the 50th Anniversary Moonwatch landing models were sold out with all the sales cash banked and then bring out this Speedmaster with the movement that everyone wanted in the Anniversary watch but never got.

With buyers paying over 30-40% on RRP for the Anniversary model, if I was one of them I would be crying into my coffee cup after this 321 movement announcement.
    The Anniversary model had the new 3861 co-axial movement - that is the future and not a bad looking movement either.

Assuming these aren't limited to Omega Boutiques then I can use an AD friend's Friends and Family discount and get one at £6216 which is actually what I think the value is. At least I shouldn't lose money on the inevitable flip at that price

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Great photography - I keep trying but the "light" and set up time always beats me.
    Having seen the Instagram story from Omega showing the watch in an exploded animation I'd say those images are renders so you're unlikely to get images that 'perfect' from the camera. I'm sure Watchfinder will do a pretty nice job if they get one for their Youtube videos though.

Master
    There’s a nice Ed white languishing on SC for considerable less...surely people prefer the original to the reissue...

I hope your Inbox is insured against fire, Ryan, because it's about to blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I hope your Inbox is insured against fire, Ryan, because it's about to blow up.
    I’m going to start permanently refreshing SC from now in case I miss the flip. 😂

Craftsman

The Anniversary model had the new 3861 co-axial movement - that is the future and not a bad looking movement either.

The 3861 is the future but it is no 321 and that is the movement so many have wanted in a Speedmaster release but until today probably thought would never happen in a all steel version.

Craftsman

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    As soon as I read ceramic bezel and limited edition, I thought £10k+. I don’t really understand the Omega pricing...at £10k, I would have thought you’ve lost a lot of potential watch ‘geeks’ (those that buy multiple watches) but it doesn’t seem exclusive/luxury enough to draw in the ‘money to burn’ buyer. I wonder what the demographic is that buy this?
    One of the articles I read today regards this release stated that the Rolex Daytona belongs with the Instagram wrist flashers, whilst the Omega Speedmaster belongs on the wrist of the watch enthusiast.

The 3861 is the future but it is no 321 and that is the movement so many have wanted in a Speedmaster release but until today probably thought would never happen in a all steel version.
    One thing I forgot - the 3861 does not have a column wheel

One of the articles I read today regards this release stated that the Rolex Daytona belongs with the Instagram wrist flashers, whilst the Omega Speedmaster belongs on the wrist of the watch enthusiast.
    I dunno about that - the Daytona has a very nice modern chronograph movement. I've generally disliked the standard speedmaster as being a bit boring and clunky manual winder....

Craftsman
    I thought the 50th anniversary was expensive
    This takes it to another dimension ridiculous

That’s nonsensical, given the quality of the Daytona and it’s movement. You may as well say that about the GMT too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Forgetting the fauxtina thinking for a sec. If you could build that watch (like you would a car at a dealership) I would take that colour lume over bright white regardless of whether someone thinks it’s fake ageing or not. It’s just a preferable colour to me and doesn’t stand out all bright and white.
    Given the choice I would use the untinted green-white material. I don’t know if this is the ‘natural’ finish?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app