closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Ed White Speedmaster

Journeyman
    It's an utterly beautiful movement. If I didn't already have a Speedmaster, I'd be adding this one to a list I really don't want to add any more to! Even owning one, I'm tempted, and am certainly interested to see what else the 321 goes into.

Master
    Do we think the bracelet will be available separately and likely to fit an original?

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    Do we think the bracelet will be available separately and likely to fit an original?
    Underside of the case looks completely different to the original Ed White, I dont think it will fit unless the old style links can be modded to the new bracelet.

Also I doubt they will be selling the bracelet separate for a long time..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    It does seem like they pulled the same trick again here as they did on the Buzz Butt and have fitted a ridge to the new bracelet to prevent it being retro fitted to existing models. There is no easy way to make that bracelet fit the Pro so I wouldn't expect this one to be any better. I thought at first it was exactly the same bracelet as that fitted to the Trilogy but it seems not.

The Trilogy bracelet which is available from OBs and ADs can be made to fit the Ed White. It is a snug fit but fit it does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The Trilogy bracelet which is available from OBs and ADs can be made to fit the Ed White. It is a snug fit but fit it does.
    I wasn't aware of this, thanks! Lovely Ed White BTW.

Craftsman

Two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Well I think it's a lot of lolly £11300 but we'll shall see what collectors want to peel that money.
    Can see price killing the last limited edition model 50th as £7450 not flying out Still kicking around 6969 of them

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    This will either be a massive hit for years to come (Omega’s Daytona) with prices steady or even over list but the release takes the gloss off past LE editions and future edition pieces, with demand for them dropping along with prices on the secondary market, as this Ed White will be the one to have alongside the standard Hesalite moonwatch.

It does seem like they pulled the same trick again here as they did on the Buzz Butt and have fitted a ridge to the new bracelet to prevent it being retro fitted to existing models. There is no easy way to make that bracelet fit the Pro so I wouldn't expect this one to be any better. I thought at first it was exactly the same bracelet as that fitted to the Trilogy but it seems not.

Mine says hi again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    This will either be a massive hit for years to come (Omega’s Daytona) with prices steady or even over list but the release takes the gloss off past LE editions and future edition pieces, with demand for them dropping along with prices on the secondary market, as this Ed White will be the one to have alongside the standard Hesalite moonwatch.
    We'll see doubt it all depends on how many made seems to be a big factor with limited editions Omega 3000 ish and less all the trilogy was a flop cause made too many, but the £11300 it's big in my opinion

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

£11,300 is a lot for the average guy on the street who can't see the difference between this and a standard moonwatch. Sure, people on Watch forums will always be enthusiastic about an Ed White, but at £11.3k is another issue. I sold my original far cheaper than that.

Limited numbers will help, but in reality there isn't a great deal here for a near 200% mark up. Time will tell I suppose. There was initial enthusiasm about the 2019 Apollo XI 50th, yet several of those were flipped fairly quickly and that was a limited edition.

Master

That is absolutely stunning. Is it a 64? Reason I ask is read that they had different bevels and wasn't sure what.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    That is absolutely stunning. Is it a 64? Reason I ask is read that they had different bevels and wasn't sure what.
    Thanks! Mine is a -65, murkey above shows a -64. As you say they have subtly different lugs, the -64 are like a compound curve on the side with no flat, the -65 have a bevel/mitred flat. See below for what I mean:

It’s a nice looking watch but the price is outrageous. What interests me more is if the bracelet can be brought separately as I think it would go rather well with the FOIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    It’s a nice looking watch but the price is outrageous. What interests me more is if the bracelet can be brought separately as I think it would go rather well with the FOIS.

It wont fit. See my comment above about the ridge, there is a similar issue with the 50th anni bracelet in that it wont fit older Pro watches very well for the same reason. You are a bit SOL with the FOIS since the Trilogy bracelet doesn't fit either.

Craftsman
    I just clicked the reserve through concierge button on the Omega website and “reserved” one. Five minutes later I received an email saying...

“We received your reservation request for the OMEGA Moonwatch Calibre 321 (311.30.40.30.01.001).
    Your OMEGA concierge will contact you shortly to organise the purchase, as well as delivery to your nearest OMEGA Boutique.
    Sincerely,
    Your OMEGA Team.”

I assume it means nothing? Odd process otherwise.

Craftsman

Payment

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I just clicked the reserve through concierge button on the Omega website and “reserved” one. Five minutes later I received an email saying...

“We received your reservation request for the OMEGA Moonwatch Calibre 321 (311.30.40.30.01.001).
    Your OMEGA concierge will contact you shortly to organise the purchase, as well as delivery to your nearest OMEGA Boutique.
    Sincerely,
    Your OMEGA Team.”

I assume it means nothing? Odd process otherwise.
    Unless they are going to ask you for full payment upfront which guarantees your commitment, allows Omega to recognise how many they will need to build and configure the production line accordingly.

Have your debit card handy and bank balance healthy for that phone call from the Concierge.
    Last edited by Flasher; 10th January 2020 at 00:45. Reason: Error

Grand Master
    I think the watch is desirable, but grossly overpriced, so it won’t be on my ‘ must have’ list. However, I’m all in favour of Omega selling to people who are prepared to pay up front for the watch, that’ll sort the men from the boys and avoid the potential for an inflated second- hand market.

It wont fit. See my comment above about the ridge, there is a similar issue with the 50th anni bracelet in that it wont fit older Pro watches very well for the same reason. You are a bit SOL with the FOIS since the Trilogy bracelet doesn't fit either.
    Plus the Trilogy Speedmaster and the FOIS are 19mm lug width as opposed to 20mm on the Pro

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ADs quoting 7 year waiting list.

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha Ha

Ha HA HA.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    ADs quoting 7 year waiting list.

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha Ha

Ha HA HA.
    I want to say you're joking, but I fear you aren't.....

Maybe Omega are experiencing the contagious FP Journe 'production issues' or the Rolex supply syndrome

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not joking.
    I sent MrsV on a recce as she's a good client on the of the AD in question and I'm not.
    She just messaged to ask if they think they're Rolex, am very proud of her right now.

Not joking.
    I sent MrsV on a recce as she's a good client on the of the AD in question and I'm not.
    She just messaged to ask if they think they're Rolex, am very proud of her right now.
    haha, brilliant!!!

With the pricing (along with the new Bond), maybe Omega really do think they can become Rolex 2.0 (to be honest, they've had that chip on the shoulder for a while now....)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    haha, brilliant!!!

With the pricing (along with the new Bond), maybe Omega really do think they can become Rolex 2.0 (to be honest, they've had that chip on the shoulder for a while now....)
    I did say this on Christmas day

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    All Omega need to do is start restricting supply of their stainless sport models over a 5 year period and reduce the amount of different LE watches.

What people can’t have people want, this then puts the supplier in control of the purchaser.

Master
    Not joking.
    Awesome. I still cannot see this being a huge seller to many people at an insane price point. The Grey Subs are waaay cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I did say this on Christmas day
    Haha, well done!!! Let's see how it plays out and if people actually want the watch due to the restrictions in supply.

An £11.3k Speedie and a 7 year waiting list - I think someone in their marketing department needs to be relieved of their post

Good luck on both fronts, but as the Dragons say...I'm out

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Haha, well done!!! Let's see how it plays out and if people actually want the watch due to the restrictions in supply.
    Its an experiment on Omega's part, they are using an iconic watch in their history to try and create the Rolex factor, like it or loathe it Rolex are brilliant at what they do and Omega want a piece of that action as would any watch company.

If this works then all the fluffy LE's will be off the shelves and 321 reissues of 105.012, 145.012 will follow with slow production rates to keep the demand high.

As a note NASA want to put man/woman/they back on the moon by 2024 - Omega have plans!!

7 year wait?

I’ve just been told by my AD that I can have one by the autumn if I really do want to spend £11.3k on a (admittedly lovely) speedy.

They aren’t ordering many as just like most of us on here, they see it as a very expensive piece, that could sit in the showroom for months. Now, I know that seems unlikely to us real enthusiasts but if the boutiques get theirs a few weeks/months before the rest of the dealer network, it’s likely that a lot of the dedicated fans will have got hold of theirs, leaving a £11k watch to sell alongside a £4-5k watch, which to the uninitiated looks and feels very similar.

Personally, I absolutely love what Omega have done with this watch but I’m still struggling with the asking price. I’d be buying as a real fan if the brand and the Speedmaster in particular, so it would be a keeper.

£11.3k though.....

Grand Master

As a note Omega want to put a watch back on the moon by 2024 - NASA have plans!!
    Fixed that for you........sorry, couldn’t resist!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Fixed that for you........sorry, couldn’t resist!
    Correct, I knew there was something wrong with what I said ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    7 year wait?

I’ve just been told by my AD that I can have one by the autumn if I really do want to spend £11.3k on a (admittedly lovely) speedy.

They aren’t ordering many as just like most of us on here, they see it as a very expensive piece, that could sit in the showroom for months. Now, I know that seems unlikely to us real enthusiasts but if the boutiques get theirs a few weeks/months before the rest of the dealer network, it’s likely that a lot of the dedicated fans will have got hold of theirs, leaving a £11k watch to sell alongside a £4-5k watch, which to the uninitiated looks and feels very similar.

Personally, I absolutely love what Omega have done with this watch but I’m still struggling with the asking price. I’d be buying as a real fan if the brand and the Speedmaster in particular, so it would be a keeper.

£11.3k though.....
    You say dedicated fans, but there is hundreds of thousands of people out there who like watches and can simply buy this at a drop of a hat due to their wealth.

I can see Omega controlling stock so none are lying around unsold..

Master
    I got quite excited seeing the pictures as that is a lovely looking watch but far far more expensive than I was expecting.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

You say dedicated fans, but there is hundreds of thousands of people out there who like watches and can simply buy this at a drop of a hat due to their wealth.

I can see Omega controlling stock so none are lying around unsold..
    And hundreds of thousands who would probably look at buying anything that was in fashion/Insta-able. Not sure how a Speedy fits into this demographics idea of what to drop a few quid on?

I actually agree with you that it’s unlikely there will be much in the way of surplus stock but you can see why any independent looking to stock their stores would be wary. Especially give the ‘current economic climate’.

Craftsman

Up front

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    And hundreds of thousands who would probably look at buying anything that was in fashion/Insta-able. Not sure how a Speedy fits into this demographics idea of what to drop a few quid on?

I actually agree with you that it’s unlikely there will be much in the way of surplus stock but you can see why any independent looking to stock their stores would be wary. Especially give the ‘current economic climate’.

The AD could just simply ask for full payment up front from the buyer, ditch the interest of intent nonsense list of buyers and then order in the watch according to the number of fully paid up buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    The AD could just simply ask for full payment up front from the buyer, ditch the interest of intent nonsense list of buyers and then order in the watch according to the number of fully paid up buyers.
    Very sensible. If Rolex and PP did this I'm sure the lists would be somewhat shorter providing a maximum delivery time was agreed and stuck to at the time of payment.

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very sensible. If Rolex and PP did this I'm sure the lists would be somewhat shorter providing a maximum delivery time was agreed and stuck to at the time of payment.

The lists would certainly be a lot shorter if buyers had to pay full price up front, no more of this intent of interest or a small deposit but full dosh up front and you get the watch on a approx delivery date via a online system allocation slot there and then.

We would then see how many WF flippers are prepared to have £11k or £25k on a Patek, tied up for possibly a year or more awaiting delivery.

Craftsman
    I have been a little slow on the uptake on this but think it looks cracking

But how the heck is this £11k. I just don't get it.

Bit confused about getting this watch.Initially omega asked to contact an AD or omega boutique which I did.Couple of days passed and I get an email(omega newsletter) saying the best way to get watch is to fill in form online - which I did.Got a reply saying my omega boutique will get in touch soon to take payment and I will get watch soon.Not heard anything since and I sent an email to omega asking what is going on - No reply yet.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Bit confused about getting this watch.Initially omega asked to contact an AD or omega boutique which I did.Couple of days passed and I get an email(omega newsletter) saying the best way to get watch is to fill in form online - which I did.Got a reply saying my omega boutique will get in touch soon to take payment and I will get watch soon.Not heard anything since and I sent an email to omega asking what is going on - No reply yet.

I’ve had the same reply, I don’t think there was any promise of getting the watch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’ve had the same reply, I don’t think there was any promise of getting the watch soon.
    It seems to me that Omega will want to supply their direct customers first because that creates a valuable direct relationship *with* that person plus no margins to give away to ADs?

(obviously creates a bit of a tension with said ADs...).

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post

Unfortunately that all sounds a bit too easy. This is Omega's experimental move in to Rolex allocation territory for the first time with a non LE release. Expect much pontification whilst they assess who the worthy recipients should be!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    I have been a little slow on the uptake on this but think it looks cracking

But how the heck is this £11k. I just don't get it.
    Not an Ed White I know, but I wonder what effect this will have on the value of my beloved 105:012-65?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DWK View Post
    Not an Ed White I know, but I wonder what effect this will have on the value of my beloved 105:012-65?
    Not a lot I would think, original 321s are already toppy. There is a good chance though that they’ll release a 105.012 Pro reissue with the 321 at some point which might generate a fillip of interest.

Shame about the price. It’s a great looking watch and I would have seriously considered chopping in my FOIS if the values were better aligned.

Not a lot I would think, original 321s are already toppy. There is a good chance though that they’ll release a 105.012 Pro reissue with the 321 at some point which might generate a fillip of interest.
    Just checked out the prices and have to say I didn’t realise they had gone up so much over the last few years.

New Ed White Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think that stands for 'advance' 'retro' or something like that. Anyway, it's to adjust the timing.
    R = Retard?

They will do something else with a 321 at some stage but this is Omega looking at Rolex and liking what it seems.

Omega see limited supply equals increased demand and is why the new Bond watch is not limited.

They have seen the criticism of limited editions and know if they can increase demand for a model like the 321, and then if customers cannot get it, there is a raft of other Speedmasters they can buy. Which is very unlike Rolex where you cannot buy anything unless it is Datejust or President.

It should also give the Speedmaster a leg up in prestige.

I completely understand why people have commented so far as regards limited supply and the "rolex effect".Can we all take a moment to think what a great watch the moonwatch is and it deserves to be in most people's collections(everybody's taste is different but generally speaking people love this watch).Don't want another brand to go the rolex way with problematic Ad's and not being able to buy without paying a premium on the secondary market.

Craftsman
    Not sure if someone else has stated this but I spoke with a London boutique last week and they confirmed that the bracelet would be available to purchase separately. However they didn’t want to say whether the bracelet will fit a CJ2998 or FOIS etc. Even though it seems likely it will, they can’t confirm until they get one in house.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Not sure if someone else has stated this but I spoke with a London boutique last week and they confirmed that the bracelet would be available to purchase separately. However they didn’t want to say whether the bracelet will fit a CJ2998 or FOIS etc. Even though it seems likely it will, they can’t confirm until they get one in house.

I wonder what the asking price of said bracelet will be?? I assume it will be pretty high.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    I wonder what the asking price of said bracelet will be?? I assume it will be pretty high.

I would assume so too