closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ed White Speedmaster

Craftsman

New Ed White Speedmaster

Just seen the long rumoured steel 321 ceramic bezel speedy has been unveiled

Master
    I’m liking that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a fan

Master
    That’s my kind of speedmaster! Straight lugs and a bracelet that doesn’t have those out of place little polished bits.

Shame it’s a ceramic bezel though. I really dislike ceramic, just doesn’t have the warmth and who wants a bezel to look brand new forever! Everything else gets old looking & what, it permanently looks like an old watch that someone has fitted a shiny NOS bezel to and looks mismatched?

Craftsman
    I think this piece will be limited production due to the number of 321 movements that they can manufacture annually

Interesting.

New Ed White Speedmaster

It looks lovely but then it would as it looks just like the original, not sure how I feel about an Ed White ltd edition, what he done with his EVA was space history while wearing two 105.003-64’s, unfortunately he died in a horrible way while continuing the US space race.

Perhaps some things are best left in the past and respected..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 7th January 2020 at 10:04.

What size is this? Quite like it (not sure about the bezel) but never 100% convinced with these remakes.

It's a nice looking watch and ticks all the boxes for me apart from the ceramic bezel. I think this will come with a hefty price though, I can see +£10k which in all honesty is probably £5k too much. I wonder how big the box will be that it comes in as they seem to be getting larger and larger over recent times.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Really like that, I imagine its going to be ridiculously priced however.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    It's a nice looking watch and ticks all the boxes for me apart from the ceramic bezel. I think this will come with a hefty price though, I can see +£10k which in all honesty is probably £5k too much. I wonder how big the box will be that it comes in as they seem to be getting larger and larger over recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Really like that, I imagine its going to be ridiculously priced however.
    Yes, I dread to think. Cost aside it looks pretty much perfect.

If it is £10k+ the option is there to find an original at that price, I know what I would rather have..

Craftsman
    Probably limited edition of 20,000 units

Craftsman
    Thank god for that
    I was truly worried that omega had gone out of business
    After all there has been no special editions for weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's 39.7mm apparently so about 1mm bigger than the original

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

The box on this one is pretty special. It's a life-sized replica of the module Ed White did the first space walk from.

Just put in a firm expression of interest at my local OB as I think this one will be fairly limited due to the movement production limitations.

They expect £10 - 11k but no info regarding a release date.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Just put in a firm expression of interest at my local OB as I think this one will be fairly limited due to the movement production limitations.

Likewise.

Master
    These re-issues, recrafted or re-whats are fine but all seem to be priced above a genuine good condition original

what they do seem to do however is push the price of a good genuine original condition watch up to near there selling price

I would think that over time the price of the reissue will fall and the original will increase

so if you want one "to keep" and wear now and again, buy an original, and if you want one to wear every day get a reissue - just my simple opinion

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    These re-issues, recrafted or re-whats are fine but all seem to be priced above a genuine good condition original

what they do seem to do however is push the price of a good genuine original condition watch up to near there selling price

I would think that over time the price of the reissue will fall and the original will increase

so if you want one "to keep" and wear now and again, buy an original, and if you want one to wear every day get a reissue - just my simple opinion
    This is true,

But I’ve been thinking recently that with the rise in value of originals, it has lead to a lot of Frankenstein watches being made up to appease the demand. So if you factor in the headache of finding a genuine example in good condition and the challenge of increased servicing costs from a smaller pool of skilled watchmakers and dwindling stocks of NOS parts, why not just buy a re-issue with a full warranty and enjoy the look?

Craftsman

Not unexpected but....ouch :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    This is true,

But I’ve been thinking recently that with the rise in value of originals, it has lead to a lot of Frankenstein watches being made up to appease the demand. So if you factor in the headache of finding a genuine example in good condition and the challenge of increased servicing costs from a smaller pool of skilled watchmakers and dwindling stocks of NOS parts, why not just buy a re-issue with a full warranty and enjoy the look?
    That's what I have done with a couple of Seiko's - bought reissues, mainly because I will wear them and am not planning to sell them - but if you buy a reissue, just beware that it could whet your appetite for an original ......... it has with me although they are nowhere near the price of the Omega
    Last edited by BillN; 7th January 2020 at 11:14.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Display case back too, nice to be able to see where your extra cash has gone.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Shame about the ceramic bezel though, really not needed.

As soon as I read ceramic bezel and limited edition, I thought £10k+. I don’t really understand the Omega pricing...at £10k, I would have thought you’ve lost a lot of potential watch ‘geeks’ (those that buy multiple watches) but it doesn’t seem exclusive/luxury enough to draw in the ‘money to burn’ buyer. I wonder what the demographic is that buy this?

It looks ace. And yes it's going to be expensive but why not? Nearly everything on this watch is unique to this model; case, bracelet, movement, dial, packaging and it'll still be a chunk of change less than you could buy a ceramic bezel Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Original watches with all original parts are getting on for £15k-£18k, saying that I can see the original Ed Whites increasing in value a lot more over the next 5+ years especially the 105.003-64’s as that is the reference Ed wore for his EVA plus I have one ;-)

This new reissue does look lovely and a great watch to wear, I just hope Omega respect what happened to Ed.

Grand Master
    Shame about the ceramic bezel though, really not needed.
    Disagree, the ceramic bezel will be far more durable long-term.

For me, the size is appealing, full-size Speedy Moonwatch wears like a dinner plate on my smallish wrists and that's a look I don`t like. However, the 321 movement is a marketing gimic in my view, the current 1861 isn't dissimilar in design and would've been perfectly adequate. I fail to understand the 'warm feeling factor' associated with this movement, it isn`t radically different from the current offering and on that basis it makes no sense.

It's unusual for me to like any of Omegas current offerings, despite my love for the vintage stuff I dislike the current incarnation of the brand intensely, but I have to say that this one looks appealing. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but there could be scope for making money in the future on this one. If you can`t beat 'em join 'em, might just try to get one of these myself and either keep it or make a profit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree, the ceramic bezel will be far more durable long-term.
    I think that’s kind of the point though. Who wants a perfect bezel on an otherwise old looking watch if you intend to keep it for decades? Look at the pic of the original Ed white above and picture it with a perfect ceramic bezel, it’d look terrible.

It’s one of the reasons I dislike modern Rolex (and even Seiko now putting awful ceramic on) if you intend to keep the watch it’ll one day look a total mismatch. The best of Rolex for me are the older models and a nice natural fade on the bezel, I just think all these watches are going to age disgracefully. Bit like an attractive older woman who’s dyed her hair jet black or something.

They've done it again with the fauxtina.

But the backside looks lovely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I think that’s kind of the point though. Who wants a perfect bezel on an otherwise old looking watch if you intend to keep it for decades? Look at the pic of the original Ed white above and picture it with a perfect ceramic bezel, it’d look terrible.

It’s one of the reasons I dislike modern Rolex (and even Seiko now putting awful ceramic on) if you intend to keep the watch it’ll one day look a total mismatch. The best of Rolex for me are the older models and a nice natural fade on the bezel, I just think all these watches are going to age disgracefully. Bit like an attractive older woman who’s dyed her hair jet black or something.
    I agree - is it "shiny versus matt" ....... or maybe the longer you, (not you, but you know what I mean), have been on here the more that you favour "good condition vintage" over new ...... on watches at any price

Wow, those photos are amazing. I need one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wow, those photos are amazing. I need one.
    Great photography - I keep trying but the "light" and set up time always beats me.

what's that "stainless steel" all about

it's almost become "SS bling" - I couldn't wear it - just my personal view - but £10k+ would beat me

I agree, ceramic is cold and doesn’t age with the watch, same with sapphire crystal.

Saying that I love vintage and not into anything currently for sale but I can see why it will sell well..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Original watches with all original parts are getting on for £15k-£18k, saying that I can see the original Ed Whites increasing in value a lot more over the next 5+ years especially the 105.003-64’s as that is the reference Ed wore for his EVA plus I have one ;-)

This new reissue does look lovely and a great watch to wear, I just hope Omega respect what happened to Ed.

One of my biggest watch-selling mistakes... I let this go about 5 years ago, for about £5k. I still kick myself on a regular basis.

Official product page - https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...re-321/product

Even with the crappy 'faux' lume, it looks mighty fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Probably limited edition of 20,000 units

Seeing as Omega have said that current production of the 321 is limited to around 2,000 movements per year I doubt it!

Does it look 13k CHF fine though...?
    Last edited by lawnmowerman78; 7th January 2020 at 12:34. Reason: Incorrect intel!

One of my biggest watch-selling mistakes... I let this go about 5 years ago, for about £5k. I still kick myself on a regular basis.

Ah well, we’ve all let something go we shouldn’t but that is a lovely 65 you had there.

I will say Omega have got the case right with this reissue, the 63 and 65 had bevel facets on the lugs only the 64 had no facets and that is the one Ed wore, well he wore 2 of them!

So - 13,000 CHF. A straight conversion would be a tad over £10k. Anyway, I now have my name down with an Omega boutique, #1 on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Does it look 16k CHF fine though...?
    Where did you see the price, I couldn't find it?

I think it is probably right price wise - this is trying to compete with other top column wheel chronographs. Next to that VC chrono in steel, this looks much nicer.

I think I’m really starting to prefer the thinner flat lugs on this/FOIS rather than the normal ones you see on the standard moonwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

I think it is probably right price wise - this is trying to compete with other top column wheel chronographs. Next to that VC chrono in steel, this looks much nicer.
    The Royal Exchange boutique told me it's 13000 CHF.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    They've done it again with the fauxtina.
    Forgetting the fauxtina thinking for a sec. If you could build that watch (like you would a car at a dealership) I would take that colour lume over bright white regardless of whether someone thinks it’s fake ageing or not. It’s just a preferable colour to me and doesn’t stand out all bright and white.

The Royal Exchange boutique told me it's 13000 CHF.
    Jup it is 13k CHF, not 16k mentioned before. It's priced right I think. Not Limited Editions either, likely limited due to production capabilities. Now to think if i want one...

Forgetting the fauxtina thinking for a sec. If you could build that watch (like you would a car at a dealership) I would take that colour lume over bright white regardless of whether someone thinks it’s fake ageing or not. It’s just a preferable colour to me and doesn’t stand out all bright and white.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Apologies - Incorrect intel! Tony is right at 13k CHF.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    Apologies - Incorrect intel! Tony is right at 13k CHF.
    Go and give your inside man a smack . Even at 16k I think it'd sell. The point I struggle with is the co-axial chronographs are such fantastic movements, it feels odd going 'backwards'.

New Ed White Speedmaster

So - 13,000 CHF. A straight conversion would be a tad over £10k. Anyway, I now have my name down with an Omega boutique, #1 on the list!
    Well done, when is delivery likely to be??

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Well done, when is delivery likely to be??
    Q1 2020 is the best I could get, although i think it was a guess.