closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 2538.20.00 in or around Glasgow

Craftsman

Omega 2538.20.00 in or around Glasgow

My Great White GMT's hour hand has recently started slipping and I am reckoning after many years service without any indication of an actual service it is time to have it done.

Can anyone recommend a good watchmaker/repairer in the Glasgow area? The online quote from Omega is £450 and having just paid £630 for my recent Sub service I'm baulking at over a grand for the two!

If the finished Omega service result is a good as Rolex, I'll probably go with them as the Sub did come back like new. But I'm open to suggestions.

OT - Say Billie, are you familiar with a local Glasgow muay thai and kickboxing world champion Amy Pirnie? She's a demon at 50 kg. That's her on the right...

Quote Originally Posted by billymac View Post
    My Great White GMT's hour hand has recently started slipping and I am reckoning after many years service without any indication of an actual service it is time to have it done. Can anyone recommend a good watchmaker/repairer in the Glasgow area? The online quote from Omega is £450 and having just paid £630 for my recent Sub service I'm baulking at over a grand for the two! If the finished Omega service result is a good as Rolex, I'll probably go with them as the Sub did come back like new. But I'm open to suggestions.
    If it’s due a service, send it in to Swatch, I’ve always had good experiences with them.

Craftsman
    And the prize for the most OT reply to a post goes to . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    OT - Say Billie, are you familiar with a local Glasgow muay thai and kickboxing world champion Amy Pirnie? She's a demon at 50 kg. That's her on the right...

Sorry no, in a city of over half a million punters I've probably missed her! lol. I'm not familiar with her opponent "Fanny Ramos" either but she sounds like a good night oot!
    Thanks for the laugh! :)

Master
    Cumbernauld judging by your location :-)

Master

Sorry no, in a city of over half a million punters I've probably missed her! lol. I'm not familiar with her opponent "Fanny Ramos" either but she sounds like a good night oot!
    Hilarious, you've brightened my morning commute on an otherwise dreary tube!

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Cumbernauld judging by your location :-)
    LOL love it!

I'd have a word with Martins on Maryhill road...something of an institution and although I've never used him for any servicing of autos his reputation is good

https://www.martinsjewellers.co.uk/w...ice-procedure/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    If it’s due a service, send it in to Swatch, I’ve always had good experiences with them.
    This. Omega Service Centre will do an excellent job and it will come back looking like new.

Omega 2538.20.00 in or around Glasgow

If you visit the Boys Room you will see that it is not such a random reply from pacificrono!

Jon repairs also known as John Vincent watch repairs in Hamilton.Never had any dealings with them but not heard anything bad about their service.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies. I think, having given it a bit of consideration I'll go with an Omega service. It's going to be a bit pricier but given the difference is not "that" much I would rather go manufacturer than aftermarket. I'll take it into Laings Glasgow and get a definate quote. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Jon repairs also known as John Vincent watch repairs in Hamilton.Never had any dealings with them but not heard anything bad about their service.

Used them quite a lot and service and standard of work is excellent plus you can drop the watch in. Worth a call for a price and expected turnaround time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you are going to send to Omega, why don't you give STS a call and see if they are any cheaper. They have a stellar reputation for Omega. Having used them twice I can highly recommend.

I posted this when I received my Great White back from Omega service:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...re-Southampton

Master
    Thanks for all the replies. I think, having given it a bit of consideration I'll go with an Omega service. It's going to be a bit pricier but given the difference is not "that" much I would rather go manufacturer than aftermarket. I'll take it into Laings Glasgow and get a definate quote. Cheers.

Why not drop into the Omega boutique across the road on Buchanan St?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post

Had a 2254.50 serviced by them a couple of years back, work was excellent.

Cost about £700, which included a £100 seal and crown replacement kit, it needed a new crown tube and I had the bracelet polished.

Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Had a 2254.50 serviced by them a couple of years back, work was excellent.

Cost about £700, which included a £100 seal and crown replacement kit, it needed a new crown tube and I had the bracelet polished.
    That seems very expensive to me, the 2254 movement is the 1120 but basically it’s an ETA 2892 which an independent could service quite reasonably, yes you had to pay an extra £100 for the crown kit but still £600 is an awful lot of money for the service and bracelet polish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    That seems very expensive to me, the 2254 movement is the 1120 but basically it’s an ETA 2892 which an independent could service quite reasonably, yes you had to pay an extra £100 for the crown kit but still £600 is an awful lot of money for the service and bracelet polish.
    As you say, not a great deal. Would likely have been £450 all in at Omega inc those parts. Or around £400 at STS.
    Last edited by Padders; 13th January 2020 at 08:56.