closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the Apple Watch

Master

My thoughts on the Apple Watch

I bought one of these today and returned it a few hours later. So I was not a fan. Despite loving nearly all Apple products.

My intention for the watch would be that it would be something that could help my pull my phone out less (generally feel life has too many screens), would be good for workouts and be just a nice slick looking thing.

It looks alright and is well made. But... I am not sure why it took me buying one to realise it, but it is just "another screen". And a really small screen to boot which is quite clunky (and un-applelike) to use. I am sure if I had stuck with it I would have found it useful for some stuff, but almost immediately after putting it on I missed my Speedy. Don't even know why to be honest, the Apple Watch has an always on display to tell me the time all the time but somehow it didn't tell me the time as well as the Speedy...??? That sounds like nonsense but genuinely how I felt.

I really thought I would like it and it would help me move away from being such a WIS, but if anything it has just confirmed what I really like about a good watch!

It’s come on in leaps and bounds.

I went to the Gym at lunchtime. On the way there I caught up with a podcast. At the gym I listened to one of my playlists. On the way home I popped into Sainsbury’s, bought lunch and paid for it with my watch. On the way back I received a text while driving, this was read out to me and I replied to it. All without my phone or wallet, just a watch and Bluetooth headphones.

Master
    Mine is worn throughout the week and my other watches are relegated to weekends and holidays I just find it so useful for work and driving not having to look at my phone. Similar to yourself I bought on a whim and fully expected to return it within days however I just found the apple watch so handy I now regularly find myself trying to read a text or see who’s calling on a mechanical watch at weekends .

Master
    I don’t think it will ever replace my main watch. I wear one one my right wrist and a normal mechanical watch. I find it useful for notifications, answering phone calls replying to texts especially when I am at home with my daughter. I also use it for waking etc setting timers and finding my phone. Battery life is my biggest annoyance I get a day 1/2 out of mine for serious exercise I have my Garmin.
    Last edited by shoppy; 6th January 2020 at 20:30.

Journeyman
    I expected to hate it but love it. Great for the gym and seamless sync with other Apple gear

Master
    I recently purchased one from here. Replaces a fitbit charge 3 & I’m loving it.

Worn on my right wrist with a proper watch on my left as couldn’t just wear it. The odd strange look, but don’t really care what others think. Very useful for the notifications, calls etc as stated & now I’ve got it set up as I want it does what I hoped for.

Not yet paid to have the cellular turned on, I always have my phone with me, so not sure I will need it currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another wearing the Apple Watch AND a Watch!

Really useful for notifications and for certain apps, like the VanMoof one to control my bike.

Craftsman
    I bought mine and thought i would wear it sporadically but its on my wrist all day.

My proper watches come out every few days and i also wear both together.

I bought one in the US a year or so ago as I didn't want to wear my sub when dodging around some of the Caribbean. It was bought as a stop gap and hasn't been off my wrist since. I don't use many features but it's nice and light and is handy to answer the phone now and then.

Master
    The annoying part for me is that I have c45% battery left after a day of wearing, but know it will not be enough to last tomorrow if I do not charge it.

I would love 2 days from it, don't want to carry the charger to work with me, but don't want to continually change from half empty to full every night.

Craftsman
    The 18 hour battery life really puts me off. My garmin fenix gets through nearly 3 weeks, so im struggling to get one that needs to be charged daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The annoying part for me is that I have c45% battery left after a day of wearing, but know it will not be enough to last tomorrow if I do not charge it.

I would love 2 days from it, don't want to carry the charger to work with me, but don't want to continually change from half empty to full every night.
    Nothing to worry about with a modern lithium battery.

Say your battery has 500 full charges in it's lifetime, it doesn't matter if you charge it 95% or in 5% increments … you get 500 full charges.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Another wearing the Apple Watch AND a Watch!

And another... My wife gave me 1 for my 60th.
    I work out every day, I am now much fitter (6 months later).
    I took to charging it every night.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I wear one on my left wrist and a proper watch on my right. The Apple Watch means I hardly ever take my phone out with me, which is a huge plus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    It’s come on in leaps and bounds.

I went to the Gym at lunchtime. On the way there I caught up with a podcast. At the gym I listened to one of my playlists. On the way home I popped into Sainsbury’s, bought lunch and paid for it with my watch. On the way back I received a text while driving, this was read out to me and I replied to it. All without my phone or wallet, just a watch and Bluetooth headphones.
    I won’t be buying one anytime soon but that is pretty impressive really isn’t it.

And ref battery length..

People today are spoilt with tech. I was explaining to the kids the other day (when one was moaning about charging their battery) that my first mobile phone I had to keep turned off until I wanted to use it, then it’d be... extend the aerial, turn on, walk around holding it up to find a bad signal, make a 2 min phone call (that cost a fortune and drained the battery) and turn off encase you needed it again. All on a huge handset with no more than a small lcd screen that showed numbers & letters. Now we have something as small as the apple watch that can do all the above and last 18 hours. Should be a triumph really but nope, it’s considered not good enough!

Surely just take it off at night and charge it on your bed side cabinet isn’t too much to ask? We do it with our phones every day.

Craftsman
    I've been wearing an Apple Watch on my right wrist since 2015 and here is why: Apple Watch on right wrist and my Sinn U2 on my left wrist.
    https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/...man_006JPG.jpg

I carry my phone in a Otterbox case on my belt and when I'm doing venom extractions I can easily glance at my right wrist (while holding a snake in my left hand) and read notifications / see if an incoming call is important or not. Thousands of visitors have watched me doing extractions and only a few have ever asked why I wear two watches. I guess it is becoming more common place.

Along with all the other uses mentioned by others, I also use it to control audio / you tube / podcasts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    So if I charge mine (I don’t have one by the way) from 50% to full every day to equate to the 500 full charges I can charge mine from 50% 1000 times.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

Say your battery has 500 full charges in it's lifetime, it doesn't matter if you charge it 95% or in 5% increments … you get 500 full charges.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    So if I charge mine (I don’t have one by the way) from 50% to full every day to equate to the 500 full charges I can charge mine from 50% 1000 times.
    In short, yes

I don’t think you can really get a feel for the Apple watch in just a few hours. I’ve had mine for nearly 2 years and have veered wildly between loving it and leaving it in a drawer!
    Certain elements are really useful - like controlling music, access to info without pulling out your phone, Apple Pay, linking to AirPods and storing music without your phone on a jog etc, fitness measurement, - but I find the alerts really intrusive (even though I turn off those I don’t really need) and am trying to spend less time staring at screens - which is why mine is now in a drawer and only comes out when I exercise.
    As a general comment, when I was wearing mine daily the charge element was a non issue, I’d finish a day with 60-70% charge and half an hour on the charger would bring it back to full in the evening. I also never wore it with another watch as I don’t see the point of that - the Apple Watch has a perfectly good ‘watch’ function

Question to AW users: is there a way to clear the events from the infograph dial?
    It’s not a feature I use and would like to remove the ‘no event today’ that adorns the dial between 11:00 and 1:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Question to AW users: is there a way to clear the events from the infograph dial?
    It’s not a feature I use and would like to remove the ‘no event today’ that adorns the dial between 11:00 and 1:00.
    I believe you should be able to customise your watch face:-
    http://https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205536

Master
    Ok so what after market straps are we enjoying that aren’t of Apple prices?

Found a few great quality silicones from eBay, not quite as heavy as the Nike ones, but still good.

Am struggling with a Velcro sport strap, they all seem to fit poorly in the lugs, slide a mm or so & click when pressed. Any views?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    From 25 - 75% would be even better.
    Ever noticed how phones, power tools etc, come with batteries partially charged?
    Somewhere in the middle is where they like to be, with a small charge.
    I charge my laptop at 15 - 20%, and it is set to cut off at 75%.
    Polar opposite to the old Ni-Cad batteries that liked a deep cycle to stay fresh and memory free.

Blog Entries
    From 25 - 75% would be even better.
    Ever noticed how phones, power tools etc, come with batteries partially charged?
    Somewhere in the middle is where they like to be, with a small charge.
    I charge my laptop at 15 - 20%, and it is set to cut off at 75%.
    Polar opposite to the old Ni-Cad batteries that liked a deep cycle to stay fresh and memory free.
    newer iPhones even have an ‘intelligent’ charge cycle that charges to 80% quickly then trickle charges the remaining 20%.

As regards Apple Watch - not got one as I already wear a Fitbit Charge 3 24x7 and charge it up every forth day while I’m in the shower. Else how can you track sleep cycles - which I actually find a little useful for medical reasons to check when you get to sleep over a period of weeks and months. Fitbit also comes with workout routines and health checks etc.

I can’t figure out how an Apple Watch is meant to track your sleep patterns when you have to charge it overnight?

I have one aswell

I use it during the week and for traveling

It’s handy for tracking my walks and it’s great to get notifications or see who is calling when I am in a meeting and can’t take out the phone

It has its uses

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    newer iPhones even have an ‘intelligent’ charge cycle that charges to 80% quickly then trickle charges the remaining 20%.

As regards Apple Watch - not got one as I already wear a Fitbit Charge 3 24x7 and charge it up every forth day while I’m in the shower. Else how can you track sleep cycles - which I actually find a little useful for medical reasons to check when you get to sleep over a period of weeks and months. Fitbit also comes with workout routines and health checks etc.

I can’t figure out how an Apple Watch is meant to track your sleep patterns when you have to charge it overnight?
    The sleep tracking is the one part I miss, although love the fact I’m no longer sleeping with something on my wrist that gets caught up with pillow cases or bedding!

Craftsman
    I use to have one, integrated well with my iPhone, as other said you can see who was calling or messaging you.
    Though I sold it as I just stopped wearing it as I added more watches to my collection. Went about 4 months without wearing it and then sold it off

Master
    I have tried the Samsung Galaxy smart watch and one from Garmin...these leave me cold and were sold within a few months.

Journeyman
    I have one mainly for work, I run a rather noisy engineering factory, so a Apple watch is a boon for me, otherwise I would never hear my customers ringing me!!
    Handy for podcast control as well.

Scottie

Master
    On the subject of charging and 18hr battery life, I generally only charge mine when I shower and change etc so 30/40 mins a day seems to keep it ticking along with no issues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

If you put it in battery saving mode overnight (it will just show the time) you’ll get 2 days easily assuming it’s a 3 or above.

I think wearing a watch today has either sentimental or other reasons more than its functional use of telling time.

In the meantime, I don't need a miniMe smartphone that keeps reminding me I need another pair of glasses and I have to many gadgets to take care of their charging time.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 9th January 2020 at 08:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    If you put it in battery saving mode overnight (it will just show the time) you’ll get 2 days easily assuming it’s a 3 or above.
    No idea why I have not thought of that, great idea, thanks

Master
    I bought one in the Black Friday sale....and recently returned it. I guess I was curious and bought into the hype, so good to read these threads.

I was also curious about using it for exercise measurement, but as I mostly ride my bike I use a Garmin on my bike for that (heart rate, time, mileage etc). I also thought it would be good to see how far I run playing singles tennis and badminton which I do at leaas twice a week. It would be nice to have 1 device that does all these things that doesn't cost the earth and need constant charging. Maybe a Garmin of some description? Any suggestions?

Ian

A friend of mine is a tennis freak (at least 3 times a week, singles and doubles) and swears by his Apple Watch. He pays monthly for an app, too, that gives him every stats possible and makes him very happy.

Master
    A friend of mine is a tennis freak (at least 3 times a week, singles and doubles) and swears by his Apple Watch. He pays monthly for an app, too, that gives him every stats possible and makes him very happy.
    Any idea what the app is?

I’ll ask.

Master
    I’ll ask.
    Superb, thank you, I’m a sucker for data like that lol

Why would anyone want to record their sleep patterns?

I must confess my Series 3 has languished in its box for months. I must get round to putting it on the SC at some point.

I’ve had three of the things, and after an initial rush of enthusiasm for them, they can never quite make a good enough case for themselves as far as I am concerned.

Master
    Still yet to see any viable reason for owning one. A true success story for marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    The 18 hour battery life really puts me off. My garmin fenix gets through nearly 3 weeks, so im struggling to get one that needs to be charged daily.

I charge mine when I get home from work, wear it to track my sleep then pop it the charger when I’m getting ready for work.

No issues

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Superb, thank you, I’m a sucker for data like that lol
    Sorry it took a while but the app is SwingVision

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    I charge mine when I get home from work, wear it to track my sleep then pop it the charger when I’m getting ready for work.

No issues

Had not thought of that as a way to track my sleep. I’m keen to make sure I hit my movement target, so leave it on all day.

Whilst I ‘miss’ the sleep tracking I used to get from my fitbit, I know when I’ve had a bad night without the watch having to tell me. Also like the fact I don’t snag my wrist under the pillow when I catches & waking me up!

Craftsman
    I’ve had an Apple Watch now since the series 3. I find that watches really useful but reaching my calories for the day can become somewhat of an obsession so my other watches aren’t worn as much.
    At least when I do wear my nice watches it’s a bit more of an occasion.

I was going to start my own thread but this one will suffice.

I bought an Apple Watch three weeks ago and I love it. I never wanted one but took the plunge because my eldest was getting one and sort of convinced me I should too. Apart from the water resistance of 50m, why would I need any other watch? In addition to the tech I can customise the dial / face and there's a world of straps out there. I've also bought adaptors so I can wear my own straps.

And....it's the most comfortable watch I've ever worn!

Absolute game changer IMO.

Journeyman
    Thanks for posting. I must admit joining well after this thread had started I had missed it, but this brought it up to speed. I have dithered about an Apple watch for years. I have been using macs since before they became popular and even had a first generation iPod. Whilst having a mac laptop, an iPhone, and an iPad, I just cant bring myself to wear an apple watch.

I prefer my watches mechanical. I do wear a fitness band (Garmin vivosmart hr) on my right wrist for notifications and exercises but can quite bring myself to upgrade to a full Apple watch on that wrist...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

I bought an Apple Watch three weeks ago and I love it. I never wanted one but took the plunge because my eldest was getting one and sort of convinced me I should too. Apart from the water resistance of 50m, why would I need any other watch? In addition to the tech I can customise the dial / face and there's a world of straps out there. I've also bought adaptors so I can wear my own straps.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

I bought one a couple of years ago and was really enthusiastic about it at first - the design of the whole thing is great and I agree it is incredibly comfortable. It’s now sat in its box for nearly a year and every now and again I wonder why I don’t wear it - they really are amazing technology. The truth is I don’t like all the alerts etc because it just mimics my iPhone, which I have with me most of the day, and I like to disconnect from technology every evening by just sticking it in a cupboard to show my kids - and myself! - that it is possible to survive without alerts and reminders of this and that every 5 minutes. Mine also lacks the always on display which might be a big help, but I came to the conclusion that a normal watch and an iPhone suit me better

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I bought one a couple of years ago and was really enthusiastic about it at first - the design of the whole thing is great and I agree it is incredibly comfortable. It’s now sat in its box for nearly a year and every now and again I wonder why I don’t wear it - they really are amazing technology. The truth is I don’t like all the alerts etc because it just mimics my iPhone, which I have with me most of the day, and I like to disconnect from technology every evening by just sticking it in a cupboard to show my kids - and myself! - that it is possible to survive without alerts and reminders of this and that every 5 minutes. Mine also lacks the always on display which might be a big help, but I came to the conclusion that a normal watch and an iPhone suit me better
    ^This^

I try to limit the impact of my phone on my personal space.

I bought a Garmin GPS smart watch. Love the tracking and ABC functions for hiking but the first thing I did was turn off all the phone integration features.

I notice they go down hill over time, most noticable with lithium battery tooth brushes.
    When new they last ages and ages without charge but the time gaps between charges get closer and closer.
    I know they claim 20% over 1000 charges or whatever but i dont find the reality matches their lab tests