closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT Watches with ETA 2893-2 movement

GMT Watches with ETA 2893-2 movement

Does anyone know of any good GMTs out there with an ETA 2893-2 movement please?

I have 2 both are good watches and keep good time
    Sinn U2

Christopher Ward Trident GMT

PRS 21

Dreadnaught Voyager - I have one and truly a great watch. However I do find 2893s a huge pain in the ass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    However I do find 2893s a huge pain in the ass.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    How so?
    Not a 'true GMT' - adjusting when travelling is not that easy because the hour hand is not independent. Fine for tracking another timezone when at 'home' or to use as a day/night indicator (how I use mine), but if you travel and want to adjust so GMT hand shows hand time, prepare for faff.

Not a 'true GMT' - adjusting when travelling is not that easy because the hour hand is not independent. Fine for tracking another timezone when at 'home' or to use as a day/night indicator (how I use mine), but if you travel and want to adjust so GMT hand shows hand time, prepare for faff.
    I mentioned this in another thread - there is now a powermatic 80 variation that is [AFAIK] a true GMT that is starting to pop up in various swatch brand watches - examples include:

https://www.midowatches.com/uk/swiss...m0384293605100

https://www.certina.com/gb/watch/ds-...C0324291105100

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/...291103800.html

I guess there is either a Hamilton version or one on the way...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 6th January 2020 at 09:38.

Blog Entries
    Ah yes, thanks.

Checked Mido manual and I find this confusing:

Travelling
    Adjusting the local time (crown in position II):
    When travelling, to modify the local time only (without modifying the reference time in 24-hour format), carry out the steps below in turn:
    – Unscrew the crown, and then pull it out to the first notch.
    – Set the local time by turning the crown in either direction. The hour hand
    will move in 1-hour steps. The date is linked to the local time, and will be
    adjusted automatically when the hour hand passes midnight.

– Push in the crown and then screw it back in.

Important: Never set the date between 10 pm and 2 am (the movement is in the process of changing the date).
    But it is good to hear that there will be more cheap(er) true GMT watches in the future.

There is also Alpina GMT, but the operation is rather confusing, because of date is tied to 24h hand, not regular 12h hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Interesting. Movement looks small going by the date position? Also you lose the silicon components which made the base movement cool with the gmt module which is a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    it gets more confusing :)

In the first position, one can set the date, in the second position, you can set the quickest hour hand, forwards or backwards and with the date adjusting accordingly and in the third position, you set the time.
    according to Mido manual: position I - winding, position II - set local time + date, position III - set 24h hand, stop seconds etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    it gets more confusing :)

according to Mido manual: position I - winding, position II - set local time + date, position III - set 24h hand, stop seconds etc.
    Think that’s how all travellers GMTs work - certainly the case for my Tudor BB GMT. Definitely a bit confusing the first tine you set it!
    Last edited by momentum; 6th January 2020 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    Think that’s how all travellers GMTs work - certainly the case for my Tudor BB GMT. Definitely a bit confusing the first tine you set it!
    I know how they work, read a quote from review above - it states, that position I is used to set date ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I know how they work, read a quote from review above - it states, that position I is used to set date ;)
    Missed that - reviewer seems to have got confused!

Master
    I have the Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 GMT with this movement (or is it a a Stellita SW330, not entirely sure now) and it can be a bit of a faff setting it but only because I keep forgetting which way to turn the crown on the date/GMT setting. Turn it one way then date changes, turn the other way and the GMT hand moves.
    It's now my holiday watch and I found it OK during our last trip involving numerous time zone changes. If you are only doing a single time zone it really shouldn't be an issue. If you are constantly on the road however, I can see how a true GMT would make life easier.

Dreadnaught Voyager - I have one and truly a great watch. However I do find 2893s a huge pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    How so?
    Not a 'true GMT' - adjusting when travelling is not that easy because the hour hand is not independent. Fine for tracking an other timezone when at 'home' or to use as a day/night indicator (how I use mine), but if you travel and want to adjust so GMT hand shows hand time, prepare for faff.

I can't agree that it's a problem to set. I just got mine out of the box to wear. A few winds to get it running, hack the watch to set time, took @ a minute. With the crown out at 1st click you can set the GMT hand independently if need be by turning the crown clockwise. If I was travelling and wanted to reset the main hour hand to local time, then the GMT hand to a different time zone it would only take a minute. Like winding a manual winder it's nothing like as involved or time consuming as some people seem to think. The GMT hand is indeed useful as an indicator of where in the day the watch has stopped to avoid the dreaded "danger zone" when setting.
    F.T.F.A.

I’m the exact opposite. I will not touch a GMT with an ‘office’ ETA movement...utter pain. So if I travel one hour ahead, rather than just move the hour hand forward one hour whilst the watch continues to tick away, I’ve got to move the GMT hand back one hour and then wind the whole watch forward and re-hack? Then the date isn’t synchronised with local time either. The whole idea of local time seems muddled on those watches and the purpose of the GMT reduced to a day/night indicator for local time if you want the date changeover to be correct.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    I have 2 both are good watches and keep good time
    Sinn U2

]
    I've worn my Sinn U2 pretty much constantly for 12 years. I class it as my "beater watch". It now tends to share wrist time with my Sinn U1000, but I still try and wear it for part of every day. One of the nice things with the 2893-2 movement is that if the watch stops and you can tell where you are in the 24 hour cycle and when the date will change for midnight which makes setting the correct time / date a breeze.

As a watch / movement my Sinn U2 has been fantastic, its been to remote deserts, rainforests and extremes of environments etc. used weekly at the shooting ranges and for blasting clays. It started to lose time in July 2017 so I sent it in for service (after 10 years of 24/7 wear). Sinn replaced a few parts and it works great again.

Dial is great too.... you only really see the 24 hr. GMT hand when you're looking for it.... rest of the time, for a quick glance / time check, the GMT hand all but disappears.

I look at plenty of watches on websites and in shop windows..... and for legibility, I've yet to find anything better than the Sinn U-series watches.

Mühle Glashütte Seebataillon GMT perhaps?

I've always liked this one, and suggested it in a similar thread the other day. They do some cool stuff to the movement before casing up, according to the review HERE.

I have had a Fortis GMT for about 15/16 years and it’s worked perfectly on my travels
    The lume is Seiko quality as well.

Master
    After lots of vacillating about which gmt watch to get nearly going for the Hamilton Broadway, watching explorer 2’s prices accelerate away from my fingertips I went for Ulysse Nardins implementation of a dual time / GMT watch.
    This has to be one of the simplest gmt watches to use and operate.
    Set the home time so the jump hour I. The window matches the local time on the hands. Then when you travel use the buttons to jump the hour hand forwards or backwards.
    I’ll probably get an office gmt at some point as I do have the need to track a far time zone from my office at times but the traveller complication was the priority for me.

Thanks all, some great looking options out there. Sadly none of them so friendly on the wallet, I’ll have to keep an eye on SC.

GMT Watches with ETA 2893-2 movement

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Mühle Glashütte Seebataillon GMT perhaps?

I've always liked this one, and suggested it in a similar thread the other day. They do some cool stuff to the movement before casing up, according to the review HERE.
    You beat me to it - again!

@DMC102... do you own one? You’re clearly a fan...

Simon

Dreadnaught Voyager - I have one and truly a great watch.
    I suspect this is going to sound petty and rude, but I’m going to say it anyway.... how can you own a Dreadnought Voyager and spell it wrong ?!

Simon (PRS-2 Dreadnought owner)

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I suspect this is going to sound petty and rude, but I’m going to say it anyway.... how can you own a Dreadnought Voyager and spell it wrong ?!

Simon (PRS-2 Dreadnought owner)

Gawd! I’m blaming it was early morning when I wrote in haste!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    You beat me to it - again!

@DMC102... do you own one? You’re clearly a fan...

Simon
    Ha no I don't, but as I say, I've always liked them and do intend to have one at some point. The picture here doesn't really do justice to the looks, the fit and finish are excellent, and aside from the GMT complication, there's a number of other interesting and unusual features - a lot to like IMO.

I'll be very interested to read your impressions when yours arrives.

Gawd! I’m blaming it was early morning when I wrote in haste!

No offence intended. I can’t even string a sentence together first thing in the morning .

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Ha no I don't, but as I say, I've always liked them and do intend to have one at some point. The picture here doesn't really do justice to the looks, the fit and finish are excellent, and aside from the GMT complication, there's a number of other interesting and unusual features - a lot to like IMO.

I'll be very interested to read your impressions when yours arrives.
    Can’t wait. I’ll try and do a short review when it does...

Simon

I have this Eterna Kontiki worldtimer which I am very pleased with.