closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is 2020 the year of consolidation?

Is 2020 the year of consolidation?

New year, new direction? I’m wondering whether I have too much cash tied up in the watch box so wonder whether some of the more sought after (in terms of the market) pieces could/should make way for something truly special. I know this is a personal preference thing and it’s down to me, but I’m interested in the collective thoughts of the forum.

At present I own:

2017 Ceramic Daytona, black face
    2019 BLRO
    2009 14060M (son’s birthday year - not selling)
    2001 14000 Air King (21st present - not selling)
    2018 AP ROO 15710ST
    2000 Speedy
    2008 Precista PRS3-LE (black)

The obvious candidates for the chopping block are Daytona and BLRO. Both great watches but all the value is in their price (to coin a phrase). I could liquidate them and pick up a nice, second hand precious metal Patek like a 5146G-010. That then leaves enough variety in the collection, don’t you agree? Next to go ( reluctantly) would be the AP but that would add another 13k to the pot.

I know there are other high end pieces of high end horological candy out there, but it’s a Patek or bust for me. I have limited interest in the Nautilus or Aquanaut; I want a proper auto complication.

Would you or wouldn’t you... or would you chop alternatives?

TIA

Greg

If you mainly value the two Rolex for their market value, then definitely get rid of them now while prices are high - no point holding on to them otherwise in my book. Personally the AP does nothing for me, so that would be going too. On the PPs, there are perfectly valid complications amongst the Nautilus and Aquanaut ranges, but appreciate you sound set on the Complication range. The 5146 sub-dials put me off, but it's your preference that matters not mine. I'd say consolidate and go for a PP complication.

You wouldn't be the first, so why not. I would have thought those two Rolex and the AP would put you well into PP territory. It would be interesting to hear from those who have done it before if it brings true WIS happiness. I have consolidated before, but soon got bored with what I thought was going to be a grail watch.

There would certainly be no shortage of buyers for those watches, but only you can say if this is a worthwhile exercise or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You wouldn't be the first, so why not. I would have thought those two Rolex and the AP would put you well into PP territory. It would be interesting to hear from those who have done it before if it brings true WIS happiness. I have consolidated before, but soon got bored with what I thought was going to be a grail watch.

There would certainly be no shortage of buyers for those watches, but only you can say if this is a worthwhile exercise or not.
    Was your consolidation something that ended up with your Aquanaut purchase? I recall enjoying your video on it a few years back.

Master
    Blog Entries

Is 2020 the year of consolidation?

I say go for it if you are not enjoying them. I ended up (what felt like) snapping up every Rolex just for the sake of it (pics of what I have done below with a lot of luck admittedly on the PPs)

The BLRO doesnt count as it was a recent addition years after as I got bored waiting / failing to change my Aquanaut to my grail 5164 (which might never happen). Therefore I went from 7 to 3 consolidation wise!! Sometimes miss the Hulk and ponder but then remember I never wore it much.

This (missing Explorer 2)

To.....

Last edited by kultschar; 5th January 2020 at 23:06.

Master
    I did a fair bit of rationalisation in ‘19. Had too many that were not getting worn. Ended up going from 12-13 down to 7.
    It worked out really well as the special pieces I got now get worn a lot.
    In fact it is working so well I am (sort of) looking at do i go to say 4-5 and potentially free up funds this time around.

That's a lovely PP case. Collection inside it isn't bad either.

Year of consolidation? Perhaps...I for one hope it will be the year of De-Trumpization.

Yes.

Simon

That Patek always looks so sad. I'd keep the Daytona and GMT, cracking watches both. If it were me though I'd be looking at GS.
    "A man of little significance"

Yes.

Simon

Journeyman
    Noooo, aquanaut is so ugly watch...

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zielony View Post
    Noooo, aquanaut is so ugly watch...

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka
    I read the original post as the OP does not want either the Aquanaut or Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would have thought those two Rolex and the AP would put you well into PP territory. It would be interesting to hear from those who have done it before if it brings true WIS happiness.
    Check out the forum’s favourite on YouTube. Archie says that he’s cashed in on the back of massive hikes in the value of Rolexes and this has allowed him to go big on PP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting to see my thread pop back up.

Yesterday I was trying on a 5690, love the dial but can’t help but think I prefer the previous platinum model, black face on black leather. £50k is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a watch; even though I can probably get close to that by selling the three watches mentioned.

It feels like quite a leap...

Also for me, 2020 is the year of consolidation:

The eldest grandchild bekame 12 years, so I gave him one of my beloved Seiko 5's.

The next years, the other grandchildren will follow, they are HIGHLY enthousiast and proud to have a "proper watch!

On the other hand, the humble collection grows: Xmas 2019 brought a SMITHS PRS29M MkII and SMITHS PRS36.

Just perfect watches to me: finishing and price. (My limit for a watch is +/- 500 € or even £)

But sorry, I can not discus about Rolexes or Patek P ...

Jo