closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new Mazda MX-5

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I prefer to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow.
    Definitely.

My next car will be slower, but more involving than my current one.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Definitely.

My next car will be slower, but more involving than my current one.

M
    I'll third this - Britain's roads make other approaches a largely joyless game of "Traffic Light Santa Pod", and that gets stale fast as you bounce from pothole-to-ridge and back again.

Involving +++> Straight-line fast.

I have had a mk2 and love this new shape.

If I can ever justify one again I would get one in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    My wife has had the 30th Anniversary ND (the bright orange one...) 2.0 RF since the summer. There's no escaping the fact NDs are small - I'm under 6' and just fit, but apart from that, they are a significant uplift from all of the previous generations in looks, handling and performance. For a start they are the lightest of all 4 generations - yes, even than the original, and have the most power.

You really want the second generation 2.0L as that not only has more outright power, but also revs higher and has a better spread of torque (and matched and balanced cams, lightened valves, uprated fuel injection... &c. The engine upgrade was a lot more than a tweaked-up ECU). The "1.5 is better" is regurgitated motoring writer nonsense - *that* is the hairdresser car: all the looks, none of the go.

"The RF's just a targa" is also a meme - how much weather do you actually *want* in your cabin? Rhetorical question - the RF lets in just as much as you need, and does so while being more secure and not needing rethatching every 5-10 years! Costs a few more £s and lbs, sure, but nothing significant.

Meme 3: "Suspension's too soft". No it isn't. Unless you *enjoy* back pain. And piles. It's a complaint made by people who've driven too many overweight, undersprung computer-driven German hatewagens. If you like those, you will never "get" an MX-5. Why even try?

They're not for everyone, of course, but don't let idiots on forums make your mind up - get a test drive. And do it soon, cos a gutless hybrid NE is on its way - so the ND will very likely be the last mainstream naturally-aspirated sports cars ever...

PLEASE - explain all the 2 letter acronyms you mention here? I am just not up to speed. RF; ND; NE and also ECU?

Thanks!!

Martyn

I love my ND 2.0 Sport Nav. The chassis is sublime. Amazing cars and I love the look; especially in Soul Red.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Just cant like that face!

Looks annoyed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    PLEASE - explain all the 2 letter acronyms you mention here? I am just not up to speed. RF; ND; NE and also ECU?

Thanks!!

Martyn
    Hi Martyn I feel your pain!

RF is retractable fastback this is the latest model and looks like a targa. The latest model ND is available as a roadster( rag top) and RF

There have been a number of MX5’s the first NA, second NB ect

Lastly ECU is the electronic control unit, the cars fuel brain. People who desire more power or add aftermarket exhausts etc will tweak the ecu usually to match fuel to performance.

Steve

See also this slightly chaotic wiki article from which you can click through to descriptions and details of the various 'generations'.

Edited to add: I find 'roadster' in this context to be somewhat loosely defined being sometimes used to describe open two seaters generically, or at at other times specific to the convertible hard tops.
    Last edited by petethegeek; 8th January 2020 at 08:44.

Thanks!!

Martyn
    Apologies for the jargon, but others have it covered. I am equally adrift with the endless Rolexes (Rolices?) and Omegas cryptically denoted by SKUs and seemingly random nicknames...

Oops, did it again...

Miss my Mk3 with folding hardroof. They had anniversary in the showroom at Harpenden Mazda last time I was in, just in case you were on a wander on the bike. Nice relaxed sales peeps there, got the Mrs car from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Miss my Mk3 with folding hardroof. They had anniversary in the showroom at Harpenden Mazda last time I was in, just in case you were on a wander on the bike. Nice relaxed sales peeps there, got the Mrs car from them.
    Oh, thanks - I'll take a ride out there next time I head that way.

Master
    Mine, only kept it for a year, just felt it wasn't as good as my earlier one, missed the power hardtop. Best thing about it was the number plate.

untitled (1 of 4) by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

Changed to a Mercedes SLC 250d AMG, nice Boulevard cruiser, but that like the Mazda only lasted a year. Now got a John Cooper Mini Roadster convertible, think at 80 it might be my last car....bit fitting really, my first car in 1959 was also a Mini.

My daily since 2018 (2.0, softtop). Great car for short distances or long distances for fun.

Fun/cost ratio on amazing level.

The first years could suffer gearbox (manual) faults - replaced on warranty without any problems by Mazda.

£34k for an MX% ------ OMG ----- You can buy a proper sports car for that - a nice used 997 or an M2 - I think they look great for girls, but for guys.... nope

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    £34k for an MX% ------ OMG ----- You can buy a proper sports car for that - a nice used 997 or an M2 - I think they look great for girls, but for guys.... nope
    That’s such a subjective comment. I would rather have a MX5 than a 997 or M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    What a ridiculous comment.

Sweepinghoover = pinch of salt.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Found a couple of those MX5 things stuck up my exhaust the other day, bloody nuisance they are!

They are great little cars, the new one particularly so.
    Last edited by bobdog; 8th January 2020 at 19:34.

I really fancied an MX5 recently but sadly I’m just too tall to drive one. I have to say whilst I like the latest version I think the RF looks very odd - much prefer the soft top version - in fact I see an RF nearly every day on my commute and from some angles I think it’s a bit ugly. One of our cars is a recent VW Golf cabriolet and whilst its no sports car, at 6’2’’ and 17 stone there’s plenty of room for my frame and I could wear a top hat with the roof up (well, maybe a bowler!) - why are MX’s so small inside, I have plenty of friends larger than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I really like the ND and if and when my NA gives up the ghost will get one, although frankly I hope that day doesn't come as I love my NA.

While I like the ND roadster looks, like RobDad I do think the RF looks a bit odd though.

It’s definitely a hairdressers car....I saw my barber who is a strapping six foot bloke get into his one the other day
    On a serious note I have always wanted an MX-5 but unfortunately my golf clubs and trolley won’t fit in the boot
    The latest version in red reminds me of a baby Ferrari California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Soon to be 18 months into owning an ND AND never having owned an MX5 before I would make three comments.

1) The internal space is a real issue for 6 footers. The steering wheel on ours only tilts (2019/20 models are now reach adjustable, following consumer feedback) which means if a 6 footer gets in they may feel over stretched in the arms. At 5’5” for myself and the wife its not an issue.

2) Roadholding, I have never experienced a car that is so precise on B roads and with only 120 bhp you would be unlucky to step the back out under power.

3) Ability to “have fun” at legal speeds. The combination of low to the ground and noise from the roof make you feel like you are genuinely doing 30 mph more than actual road speed. You can slick through the short throw box in first and second even third and still be under the national limit. Try that in a current M type car.

So if you are tall , test drive first, for everything else, just enjoy!

Just in case you missed it... should help get a deal on 19 car if not going new (even it feels a little moving deckchairs rather anything ground breaking)
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=205&t=1848855

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Just in case you missed it... should help get a deal on 19 car if not going new (even it feels a little moving deckchairs rather anything ground breaking)
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=205&t=1848855
    Good shout, dealerships should have decent numbers of "demonstrators" and assorted pre-reg cars available.

I had a MkI Eunos years ago and was so much fun to drive, if not a little under powered with the 1.6 engine. Loving the new generation.

Master
    I've been and looked at one a few times recently (are you still interested dealer calls, we've got great deals) and I liked the car but when I get back into the S2000 to go home the Mazda idea quickly disappears, the S2000 may not be perfect but it suits me, the Mazda seems, a little too neat, tidy and just so. Is the word I'm looking for .... Twee? Contrived?
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 9th January 2020 at 20:15.

Sublime cars, I love my ND, but sadly due to a job change mine isn’t getting much use these days so my 2015 2.0 Sport Nav may end up on Sales Corner shortly. The MX5 is a breath of fresh air in the current marketplace, you’ll not experience the thrill of driving purity of a 5 unless you’ve a Lotus Elise or Caterham 7.