closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Manhattan hotel recommendations

Manhattan hotel recommendations

Usually when I’ve been to nyc I go for work and they book a hotel for me near the office in the financial district.

I’m going again in February, purely as a holiday, and would like to stay a little bit further uptown. Midtown works well I think for the things we want to do.

Any recommendations for a 5 night stay? About £200 a night is what I’m hoping to cap the budget at to save money for more fun things. Could push this up a bit.

We’re not ones to lay in and spend loads of time in the hotel, so it doesn’t have to be a destination in itself, but somewhere decent to lay out heads. Oh and that serves a decent breakfast!

Any thoughts? Thanks all

Ian

The Hotel New Yorker is fabulous in my opinion - beautiful, historic art deco hotel built in 1929 (and was the world's largest at the time), with the Tic Tock Diner at the base, and the Nicolai Tesla Museum in the basement (he lived there).

Perfectly situated too.

https://www.newyorkerhotel.com/history/
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    ^^ I love that diner!!

Master
    If you’re happy doing the whole AirBnB thing that may open up some further possibilities. You can filter it by ‘place to yourself’ so you’re not sharing with anyone.

My experience having done that on a couple of NYC visits is you don’t necessarily pay any less than a hotel, but might get a cooler place to stay / more room than a hotel.

Have fun!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    If you’re happy doing the whole AirBnB thing that may open up some further possibilities. You can filter it by ‘place to yourself’ so you’re not sharing with anyone.

My experience having done that on a couple of NYC visits is you don’t necessarily pay any less than a hotel, but might get a cooler place to stay / more room than a hotel.

Have fun!
    But carries a risk as airBNB is illegal in NY unless under certain circumstances (such as the host has to stay in the appt at same time etc.)
    We stayed at the Park Central last time, nice hotel and location good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No doubt about it, The Casablanca at 147 West 43rd Street. We are there in February for a third time in under a year. Whilst just off Times Square, it is a truly peaceful boutique hotel. For that reason it gets booked early.

I've stayed at The Walker Hotel a few times - amazing location in the heart of Greenwich Village (on W13th Street) and a wonderful vibe, great breakfasts and a lovely little bar to enjoy a nightcap in.

Can't make a mistake with this one.

Last edited by learningtofly; 4th January 2020 at 10:15.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^Another great choice.

Hi,

I think it would be nice to stay somewhere very cool and quite upmarket, I wonder whether the extra is worth it, given the amount of time you will spend in the hotel? (just my view)

We stayed here : https://uk.hotels.com/ho550472672/?display=description last april for 4 nights on a pure tourist runaround trip. It's pretty basic, but fantastically located inbetweeb the Empire State and Brodway, with alomost everything in walking distance. Also, a great budget price, so more money to spend!!

Hope this helps

John

Master
    https://www.jameshotels.com/new-york-soho/

I've stayed here, great location and superb rooftop bar. It's quite a popular with the trendy crowd of a night up there.

Journeyman
    Another vote here for the Casablanca. I stayed there two years ago and I am planning to go back shortly. Very welcomong and friendly place in a superb location.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    No doubt about it, The Casablanca at 147 West 43rd Street. We are there in February for a third time in under a year. Whilst just off Times Square, it is a truly peaceful boutique hotel. For that reason it gets booked early.
    Yet another vote for this fantastic hotel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Personally out of the three hotels I’ve stayed at in NY that was the worst. Great views and rooms were good but too near Times Square, too big and overpriced bar.

Blog Entries
    https://www.gansevoorthotelgroup.com...atpacking-nyc/

The Gansevoort isn’t Midtown, it is in the Meatpacking District. A great hotel. The hotel’s name is Dutch (it’s a Dutch sur-name).
    Last edited by thieuster; 4th January 2020 at 13:34.

Thank you all. Some great suggestions so far. I’ll get to researching.

Any more recommendations welcome!

Craftsman
    My wife and I visit NYC frequently. We’ve stayed in many, many hotels and Airbnbs and this hotel is hands down the best we’ve stayed in for the money - https://www.nobleden.com/

It’s in Little Italy, surrounded by bars and restaurants. It’s a 5min walk to three subway stations, which will get you anywhere in Manhattan (+ to and from JFK). You can also easily walk to Soho, Noho, The Bowery, Lower East Side, Wall St etc.

The hotel is new and in excellent condition. The rooms are large and the beds extremely comfortable. We’ve stayed there twice and I’ve no intention of staying elsewhere for the foreseeable.

I’ve stayed in a suite at the Hilton midtown 2 years in a row..suited us fine, location was great and was only £600 each for a 3 night/4 day stay end of January flying with virgin or ba...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    The Hotel New Yorker is fabulous in my opinion - beautiful, historic art deco hotel built in 1929 (and was the world's largest at the time), with the Tic Tock Diner at the base, and the Nicolai Tesla Museum in the basement (he lived there).

Perfectly situated too.

https://www.newyorkerhotel.com/history/
    Another vote for the New Yorker. I’ve stayed there a few times and it’s in an ideal location for the whole of Manhattan. You also have a few good bars on your doorstep (not that you should want to stay near the hotel!) and the Skylight Diner round the corner for a brilliant breakfast where normal ‘New Yorkers’ go.

Just be aware that you really don’t get very much (space or otherwise) for your money with New York hotels and it is rarely worth paying a premium for a perceived higher quality in my experience. Plus, you really do only sleep there as you want to make the most of the fabulous city.

Master
    Another for the Casablanca. Going again later in the year in fact

Master
    Stayed in The Pierre a few years ago, great customer service and location.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Personally out of the three hotels I’ve stayed at in NY that was the worst. Great views and rooms were good but too near Times Square, too big and overpriced bar.
    I can't comment on the bar since we use the Concierge lounge (drinks are free normally). It is a bit more select and you get to meet the famous thetre folk which HID likes.

SHe also likes the proximity to the buzz. She is the same in london.

B

The knickerbocker - great place! Away from the busy end of Times Square.

I've stayed at the DoubleTree when it was located in Times square (not sure who owns it now) and the New Yorker on multiple occasions, I can't fault either. The Tick Tock diner on the New Yorkers ground floor is handy for breakfasts but I wouldn't eat anything other than that after having some of the pasta in evening, it was truly awful!

I really like the Soho Grand - https://www.sohogrand.com/ nice hotel and good location.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've stayed at The Walker Hotel a few times - amazing location in the heart of Greenwich Village (on W13th Street) and a wonderful vibe, great breakfasts and a lovely little bar to enjoy a nightcap in.

Can't make a mistake with this one.

Agree with this - another good one!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    The knickerbocker - great place! Away from the busy end of Times Square.
    I would second that. Great location, rooms quite spacious and very well appointed and the rooftop bar has a cool and sophisticated vibe whilst not being pretentious. Excellent subway access to all lines and right next to Bryant Park to sit with a coffee in the morning before getting out and about.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    https://www.gansevoorthotelgroup.com...atpacking-nyc/

The Gansevoort isn’t Midtown, it is in the Meatpacking District. A great hotel. The hotel’s name is Dutch (it’s a Dutch sur-name).
    The Gaansevort gets my vote, too

Craftsman
    Stayed at the Waldorf Astoria a couple of times. I even seem to remember that they had a vintage watch shop on the premises. Two birds with one stone and all that.