closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How tight do you wear your watch?

How tight do you wear your watch?

As not all bracelets have glidelock or an equivalent, how tight do you wear your watch?

I hate when my watch is loose enough to slide up /down my wrist, which means I have it quite tight - but this can sometimes end up too tight as the day progresses, and on my Rolexes, the easy link extension then makes it too loose again - a conundrum indeed.

On my hulk I just adjust on the fly, but it’s not so easy with others...

So do you start off a bit looser? How loose - pinky between the clasp and your wrist? Or does your wrist perhaps not swell too much?

Something about the shape of my wrist makes watches rotate forward unless really tight. Drives me nuts, cos by the end of the day it usually gets uncomfortable, but a wonky watch dismays...

Grand Master
    Mostly to fit snuggly rather than tight.But a few on bracelets are a little less snug but that's because I can't be bothered to resize so put up with it!.
    Most are on leather or NATO so fit as I like them.
    Ive seen some people wearing the watch on the inside of their wrist!.....

Master
    I wear ‘em loose.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I wear ‘em loose.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Pinky between bracelet and wrist loose, or so that it can almost spin round?

Craftsman

Snug

I have always preferred a very snug fit but with many watches not offering micro adjustments, it becomes quite uncomfortable when my wrist expands as the day goes on and have had to look more at strap models for new purchases rather than bracelet. The Speedmaster is the worst culprit and why Omega has never given the Moonwatch a micro adjust or half link is beyond me, wonderful watch let down by the lack of adjustment available.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I have always preferred a very snug fit but with many watches not offering micro adjustments, it becomes quite uncomfortable when my wrist expands as the day goes on and have had to look more at strap models for new purchases rather than bracelet. The Speedmaster is the worst culprit and why Omega has never given the Moonwatch a micro adjust or half link is beyond me, wonderful watch let down by the lack of adjustment available.
    Yeah - agreed - this would be a great improvement to the speedmaster bracelet

I wear my sub pretty tight using the glide lock; that I can adjust it on the fly, means I wear it more than anything else I’ve got on a steel bracelet

I’m yet to find a good leather strap that has a hole in just the right place, often end up wearing watches a tad loose on leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I wear my sub pretty tight using the glide lock; that I can adjust it on the fly, means I wear it more than anything else I’ve got on a steel bracelet

I’m yet to find a good leather strap that has a hole in just the right place, often end up wearing watches a tad loose on leather

Tight enough to leave an imprint on your wrist?

Master
    I usually wear mine fairly lose as I struggle to get a good .I'm thinking a perlon might be a good option.

I’m constantly adjusting my Planet Ocean micro clasp...my wrist seems to expand and contract depending on the temperature around me.

Master
    Between half a pinky and a pinky loose.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Tight enough to leave an imprint on your wrist?
    Sometimes. I don’t want movement / sliding. I must add I also wear my watch a little higher up the wrist than most people, so moving my hand / wrist doesn’t put pressure on the watch despite how tightly I wear it

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    I’m constantly adjusting my Planet Ocean micro clasp...my wrist seems to expand and contract depending on the temperature around me.

I find I swell up a little when I drink too...probably a sign...

Craftsman
    Seamaster is quite loose, but I think I’ve stretched the bracelet a bit over time.

My other watches generally are quite tight, with maybe a pinkie at the lug being a good determinant of tightness. My smart watch goes on tight, as Garmin helpfully remind me if the fit isn’t good enough. The Garmin elastic rubber band is great for getting a good and comfy fit.

Needs to fit comfortably over my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Seamaster is quite loose, but I think I’ve stretched the bracelet a bit over time.

My other watches generally are quite tight, with maybe a pinkie at the lug being a good determinant of tightness. My smart watch goes on tight, as Garmin helpfully remind me if the fit isn’t good enough. The Garmin elastic rubber band is great for getting a good and comfy fit.
    Yeah, rubber straps are much better than bracelets for wearing it tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I know it’s a little off piste but I’m tempted to wear a watch on top of, say, knitwear. Will people think I’m deranged? Or merely eccentric...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Lol, this pic just made my evening!

Craftsman
    I think the Garmin band just stretches better than any fabric strap I’ve had. I set it to what I think is a perfect feel then will go for a run and it’ll still feel perfect despite me sweating away like the proverbial.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I know it’s a little off piste but I’m tempted to wear a watch on top of, say, knitwear. Will people think I’m deranged? Or merely eccentric...

The difference between deranged and eccentric is just about how much money you have - only rich people are classed as eccentric...

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    The difference between deranged and eccentric is just about how much money you have - only rich people are classed as eccentric...

Master
    Generally pretty tight for me!
    Depends a bit on the watch lugs though - a watch with lugs that curve down can be worn a bit looser as it hugs the wrist better & doesn't move around as much.

Blog Entries
    Definitely snug. Can't abide them loose, so rather start snug and if they tighten so be it. (apart from those adjustable on the fly of course)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Prefer loose so that I can push it back higher up my wrist from time to time.

This can be difficult as my wrist is not what you'd call petite.

Fairly snug, like this taken just now. I hate it if the watch wobbles around but trade off is mine are tight enough to leave an imprint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is difficult to find the perfect fit with most watches. I hate watches flopping around and falling down to the top of my hand and equally I am uncomfortable when the strap or bracelet leaves an imprint on my wrist.

Usually by fliddling around I find the right fit then tend to leave them alone. I am not a prolific changer of straps on any given watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was watching Sunday Supplement last week and one of the journalists (I should really find out his name) wore his like a bracelet. It was almost loose enough to slip I've his fist.

Half a pinky and more importantly for me the hand side of the wrist bone,

They are called wrist watches not fore arm watches after all, but that’s probably another poll we need to root out the real deviants ;)

Slightly loose.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I like them nice and tight. My bb58 leaves a serious imprint (the tudor logo and all) but it’s totally comfortable.

Master
    I find snug becomes tight and uncomfortable so I prefer slightly loose, it slides about a little.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I find snug becomes tight and uncomfortable so I prefer slightly loose, it slides about a little.
    Fnar fnar,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Loose.

Gangsta stylie.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    I wear mine ulnar side of the wrist as I have a protruding ulnar bone. This also stops the watch crown biting into my wrist when bent and avoids straining bracelets (aka floppy Rolex bands). I like to slip a pinky inbetween.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tight enough so not wobble about,but loose enough to let the blood flow to my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I like to slip a pinky inbetween.
    Sounds kinky:-)

Craftsman

Quite tight

I wear most on leather or rubber straps so they can self adjust slightly as my wrist swells or contracts with heat. Bracelets are a Pain in the Arse to get just right but I added a Marine Master clasp to my modded Seiko ...which can be adjusted without even taking it off the wrist - It's a good holiday solution when jumping in and out the sea/pool.

"Lightly snug"

Loose but just there where it will not turn on my wrist
    And I try to mount my watches on Leatherman Tread bracelet (silver or black ) and you cannot wear those tight:)

All my small watches slightly loose othewise tight, Pam, Tuna etc

Completely depends bracelet. Most of mine I wear slightly loose as not to spin around like a wanabe gangsta but enough room to not get uncomfortable throughout the day.

Recently picked up an Omega shark mesh and that one I can wear snug without any discomfort or feeling hot after a while. Probably the most comfortable bracelet I've tried so far.

Master
    For me if there’s any discomfort at all, at any time, then the bracelet isn’t correctly adjusted. There’s a point where the watch turns naturally with the wrist and stays where you want it, without being glued to it. I’m surprised if people who choose to wear it tight find that comfortable all the time, it would drive me mad when the wrist expands. A well adjusted bracelet should provide a pleasant sensation, if you notice it at all. One finger under and a little movement is fine.

For Rolex bracelets with micro adjustment, I usually change them to be one click tighter in winter. The ones that don’t have it seem to work fine all year round, though I can’t imagine they would if adjusted to be so tight they leave marks. What really makes me wince is a tight bracelet worn below the wrist bone, it makes me feel sorry for both the watch and the owner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    For Rolex bracelets with micro adjustment, I usually change them to be one click tighter in winter. The ones that don’t have it seem to work fine all year round, though I can’t imagine they would if adjusted to be so tight they leave marks. What really makes me wince is a tight bracelet worn below the wrist bone, it makes me feel sorry for both the watch and the owner.
    Same, basically. The SD43 is a heavy old watch but sits much better than some of my other, lighter watches because the micro-adjustment is so good. I have a Seamaster GMT which, although the bracelet is very comfortable when correctly adjusted, only feels right about 25% of the time, so it's on an Isofrane.