closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommendation for Induction Hob Moka Pot

Recommendation for Induction Hob Moka Pot

I initially bought the Bialetti induction moka maker but it simply is not as good as my aluminium version (which does not work on my induction hob).

Before I make another mistake does anyone have any recommendations of what I could buy. Do the converter plates work at all (they seem to have mixed reviews).

Thanks

I have one of these Alessi pots:

https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/product...90-9090-6.html

It is superb. Highly recommended.

I should caveat that with the fact that I do NOT use it on an induction hob though!
    Last edited by Maysie; 3rd January 2020 at 16:07. Reason: Important info missed out!

I've got same Alessi one. Again, highly recommended but use on gas. Not cheap though but sometimes on offer on amazon. Other sizes also available.

It’s the whole induction thing that is causing issues. I loved my old Bialetti - but the new one is pants.

Craftsman
    Bought a Stella one years ago and does the job admirably. Steel so works on any hob.

Like this one, they do differing sizes...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stellar-Hor...02NE84XYYATNXB
    Last edited by Carl.1; 3rd January 2020 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I have one of these Alessi pots:

https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/product...90-9090-6.html

It is superb. Highly recommended.

I should caveat that with the fact that I do NOT use it on an induction hob though!
    +3 for the Alessi 9090.....it's the only one to have. Stainless Steel so no issues on induction.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    +3 for the Alessi 9090.....it's the only one to have. Stainless Steel so no issues on induction.
    While the Alessi will work on induction hobs, not all SS is magnetic.

I swapped Alessi moka pots when we moved to a house with an induction hob.

Have had no issues with it once I worked out what setting to use on the hob.

OP - what’s the specific issue with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I swapped Alessi moka pots when we moved to a house with an induction hob.

Have had no issues with it once I worked out what setting to use on the hob.

OP - what’s the specific issue with yours?
    With the Bialetti - it tends to discolour a lot - I used it on a setting of around 9 on my induction hob with the small ring. The base goes a dark brown and only comes up clean with a soft cream wipe.

Also once the coffee finishes coming through the spout only half of the top reservoir was full. The bottom head still full with half the water but was concerned about running it dry - after the discolouration. It also stopped feeding the water through.

We use a Bialletti induction and makes a good brew. Coffee is great ( Aldi Columbian)
    Can't see what spending more will benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I swapped over to the Alessi 9090 from Bialetti after learning of them in a similar thread...link. They are definitely the way to go...just shop around for the lowest price.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    With the Bialetti - it tends to discolour a lot - I used it on a setting of around 9 on my induction hob with the small ring. The base goes a dark brown and only comes up clean with a soft cream wipe.

Also once the coffee finishes coming through the spout only half of the top reservoir was full. The bottom head still full with half the water but was concerned about running it dry - after the discolouration. It also stopped feeding the water through.
    Perhaps it is the Bialetti then...

We swapped from Alessi to Alessi induction with no problems, although I have our hob on 8 until the coffee starts to come through then turn down to 7 until it is done.

Assuming you’ve cleaned the filter and the seal sites properly?

FWIW this is the one we use:

https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/espress...mdl02-6-r.html
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 3rd January 2020 at 20:15.

I like the Alessi 9090 as well (especially the non twisting design), but it’s a lot of money, can’t even find one secondhand at an affordable price!

John can you use the Alessi you have on an induction hob?

Perhaps it is the Bialetti then...

We swapped from Alessi to Alessi induction with no problems, although I have our hob on 8 until the coffee starts to come through then turn down to 7 until it is done.

Assuming you’ve cleaned the filter and the seal sites properly?

FWIW this is the one we use:

https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/espress...mdl02-6-r.html
    That isn’t the induction one, take care anyone ordering!

This is the induction one https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/espress...dl02-6rfm.html.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 3rd January 2020 at 20:37.

I like the Alessi 9090 as well (especially the non twisting design), but it’s a lot of money, can’t even find one secondhand at an affordable price!

John can you use the Alessi you have on an induction hob?
    They do seem to hold their value. The best deal I can find at the moment is for a 9090/6 at Redber (link) or on Amazon.de.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    They do seem to hold their value. The best deal I can find at the moment is for a 9090/6 at Redber (link) or on Amazon.de.
    Thanks

Previously used one of these for a number of years before moving from induction to gas hob:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-In...SIN=B00LK9CMSI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Mo...089866&sr=8-13
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 3rd January 2020 at 23:19.

Never experienced that with ours even after 10yrs. We have a Siemens induction hob. The base of ours is as shiny as it was new.
    Maybe the spout is partially blocked not allowing it to syphon properly. I clean ours about once every 6mths.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Never experienced that with ours even after 10yrs. We have a Siemens induction hob. The base of ours is as shiny as it was new.
    Maybe the spout is partially blocked not allowing it to syphon properly. I clean ours about once every 6mths.

It’s brand new - and the shop tried it as well. It was irritating as it was a Christmas present.

I am wary about giving it another go in case I have the same issues

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That isn’t the induction one, take care anyone ordering!

This is the induction one https://www.alessi.com/gb_en/espress...dl02-6rfm.html.
    Ah, yes, thank you!

The induction model is slightly more expensive but I’ve been really pleased with ours.

Ah, yes, thank you!

The induction model is slightly more expensive but I’ve been really pleased with ours.
    Think I will give one of these a shot. The 9090 model is just a bit too much

Thanks

Ah, yes, thank you!

Does look great, does the aluminium stay shiny?

My 9090 does darken slightly (on gas) but easily polished.

Thanks
    The induction Bialetti is even cheaper...see #17...and works the same way as the Pulcina.

The induction Bialetti is even cheaper...see #17...and works the same way as the Pulcina.
    He's tried that! Post #1.

I didn't spot that!

OP can you detail the differences you've found between the Bialetti induction and your aluminium (presumably gas)? Just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I didn't spot that!

OP can you detail the differences you've found between the Bialetti induction and your aluminium (presumably gas)? Just out of interest.

I initially bought the Bialetti induction moka maker but it simply is not as good as my aluminium version (which does not work on my induction hob).

Before I make another mistake does anyone have any recommendations of what I could buy. Do the converter plates work at all (they seem to have mixed reviews).

Thanks
    In my defence, I had assumed that he tried one of the all stainless models that Bialetti sell, eg the Venus or Musa. I now see that I was mistaken...oops!

Thanks
    I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it!

To answer another question, it doesn’t discolour either. Both the normal version I had for 2 years on a gas hob and the induction version have stayed pretty much as they were when new.

I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it!

To answer another question, it doesn’t discolour either. Both the normal version I had for 2 years on a gas hob and the induction version have stayed pretty much as they were when new.
    Thanks. I hope so

I was so disappointed with the Bialetti as I was hankering for one for ages.

Craftsman
    I have 2 different bialetti pots, and an Ilsa slancio which has a bit more steel to it (I.e.heavier)

http://www.ilsa-italy.it/components/...t/art091-S.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to update the thread and thank everyone for the recommendations.

I really wanted the Alessi 9090 - Richard Sapper design but it was just a little too much for me to spend. I am going to keep my eye for a 3 cup just in case.

However, I did get the Alessi Pulcina which is a lovely thing and I like it as much, if not more, than my old octagonal Bialetti.

There is no leak or drips, and its stays clean. It also makes the full 6 cup brew using all the water in the bottom bit

So extremely pleased. thanks

Just to update the thread and thank everyone for the recommendations.

I really wanted the Alessi 9090 - Richard Sapper design but it was just a little too much for me to spend. I am going to keep my eye for a 3 cup just in case.

However, I did get the Alessi Pulcina which is a lovely thing and I like it as much, if not more, than my old octagonal Bialetti.

There is no leak or drips, and its stays clean. It also makes the full 6 cup brew using all the water in the bottom bit

So extremely pleased. thanks
    Super - pleased you are pleased!

Heads up!

Amazon have Alessi products as a Deal of the day including their 9090 and Pulcina stove-top coffee makers.

^^^
    Not showing for me on Amazon.

^^^
    ^^^

Interesting the price of the 9090. I paid £64 on amazon 2 years ago after a heads up on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    ^^^
    Not showing for me on Amazon.
    Still there for me on the first page...try a text search for 'Alessi' on their deals pages (maybe page 2 or 3 on a mobile?) and this link www.amazon.co.uk/deal/4bc2744c.

Master
    I use a bialetti induction one too and I have no problem with it .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I use a bialetti induction one too and I have no problem with it .
    Same here. Just don’t get the rose gold one as it’s poorly plated and soon wears off. Functionally perfect though

The Amazon Alessi deal of the day working for me. There is a 6 cup 9090 as well as a few other Alessi design's on sale.

Still there for me on the first page...try a text search for 'Alessi' on their deals pages (maybe page 2 or 3 on a mobile?) and this link www.amazon.co.uk/deal/4bc2744c.
    Thank you, that link works, to a £95 deal.

The cheapest one it would show me was £135!