closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying on Chrono24

Buying on Chrono24

Has anyone bought from Chrono24 before as I’m after some advice. A private seller has a watch I am interested in and there is the option to pay through Chrono24 by credit or debit card. Does Chrono24 give me any more protection against scams than buying privately? Their “trusted checkout” blah is a bit ambiguous about whether it applies to dealers only or both dealers and private sellers.

Anything I should be aware of? Obviously “buy the seller” is the most important thing and he seems reasonable so far.

Always nervous buying pre-owned watches outside of SC (which I’ve only done once before on eBay)!

Christian.

I’m fairly sure Trusted checkout doesn’t apply to private sales.

I’ve bought two watches through Chrono24, one was private. With the private sale, I still had the authorise payment once I had received the watch and was happy.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Are they offering C24 escrow? I thought that C24 held the funds until you have received the watch, confirmed all is okay and instructed them to release the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Are they offering C24 escrow? I thought that C24 held the funds until you have received the watch, confirmed all is okay and instructed them to release the funds.
    Thanks, it looks like they are offering this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought from a private seller on chrono ,escrow service used,no issues whatsoever .

Master
    By coincidence, I've just spotted something I really like on there for sale by a private seller in Bulgaria. He will use the escrow service so I hope it'll be alright - unless anyone's going to advise me not to!!

A good friend of mine bought a $4000 datejust with a FAKE bracelet from a NY dealer on Chrono24... It could happen anywhere though...

I've bought a couple of watches using the escrow service each time. It is fast and safe, you pay, it gets held in an account, seller is instructed to send, you confirm receipt and that you are happy with your purchase, seller receives the payment.

I would happily use it again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks, it looks like they are offering this.
    That’s good. I’ve both bought and sold on there, and the escrow worked really well in both directions. I’d have no worries about using it. Even if you take a day or two to check and confirm the watch, there should be no issue. Your money is held in escrow until you tell C24 to release it to the seller.

What do Chrono24 charge for this? I’m guessing its expensive for the seller if I’m going to pay on Amex into the escrow!

What do Chrono24 charge for this? I’m guessing its expensive for the seller if I’m going to pay on Amex into the escrow!
    No fees for the buyer, just the seller.

Journeyman
    Does anyone have the experience with selling on chrono24?
    I understand the buyer´s protection on chrono, but there seem to be none for the sellers...
    Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brownwld View Post
    Does anyone have the experience with selling on chrono24?
    I understand the buyer´s protection on chrono, but there seem to be none for the sellers...
    Thanks
    Seller also protected. You are assured by escrow that the money has been received. In case the watch was going to come back to you (for any reason), the buyer / returner would not get their money back until YOU told C24 it was okay to release back (I.e. watch was received and you confirmed all okay).

It’s a good system both ways - whether worth the fees is up to each person.

Anyone know how much a seller pays for all of this including the card payment fees?

Blog Entries
    Anyone know how much a seller pays for all of this including the card payment fees?
    Comm fee is i believe 6.9% but no separate listing fee the escrow service works well.

- - - Updated - - -
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I think the commision is as described above, but it's built into the prices you see. You can also make an offer on many prices, then the seller has to calculate the price to accept, considering commission, delivery and currency. On buyer side you typically only have to be concerned with the price you see quoted, the seller has to take care of commission, forex etc.

SydR
    C24 make a 2% surcharge on Amex payments. No surcharge on MasterCard, Visa and BT.

Journeyman
    Seller also protected. You are assured by escrow that the money has been received. In case the watch was going to come back to you (for any reason), the buyer / returner would not get their money back until YOU told C24 it was okay to release back (I.e. watch was received and you confirmed all okay).

It’s a good system both ways - whether worth the fees is up to each person.
    Thanks. But still, lets look at this model situation:

I try sell a watch. Lets say Rolex 116610. I send the watch, buyer sends the money via escrow service.
    When he gets the Rolex he says he was sent half a kilo of sugar.

Now what? How can I prove I had sent the watch and he was a liar?

Master
    A little advice please.
    As I mentioned I found something I like on Chrono24, with the seller in Bulgaria. I clicked on the Buy button and I received a message that my purchase request had been sent to the seller - and then....nothing, for 4 days now. Is this normal, or does this feel odd to anyone? Am I being impatient (I am the world's most impatient person, so probably yes). How long do I wait before I give up and move on? (Haven't got as far as making a payment, so there's no issue with losing money or anything).

I used C24 once and it all went well. I paid extra for the escrow service which in my case was pointless as C24 released the payment straight away. It all worked out as the watch was good but seems a bit pointless.

I'm using from time to time. As far as I know all transactions done by Ch24 are covered by Escrow, all packages are insured and tracked.
    Transactions with professional sellers are also under some kind of warranty.

The procedures are a bit strange - this: make offer / reservation / buy is not as clear as on eBay.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    A little advice please.
    As I mentioned I found something I like on Chrono24, with the seller in Bulgaria. I clicked on the Buy button and I received a message that my purchase request had been sent to the seller - and then....nothing, for 4 days now. Is this normal, or does this feel odd to anyone? Am I being impatient (I am the world's most impatient person, so probably yes). How long do I wait before I give up and move on? (Haven't got as far as making a payment, so there's no issue with losing money or anything).
    I’ve found sellers often have the watch for sale in numerous locations hence the ‘request sent to seller’ phase. They may have sold elsewhere and not yet taken the listing down.

If you are having a delay on receiving a response/ request for payment it is possible the seller in on holiday or something at the moment. Give it a few more days then , if you have still heard nothing, contact C24 customer service. They are very helpful.

Master
    A little advice please.
    It really depends on the seller.

They will have got a message saying they have 'an offer', and they then need to process that - confirm shipping etc. It's a little strange to take some time, especially if it's a "Buy" rather than an offer, but they might just be a bit slow. Can you message the seller?

Master
    It really depends on the seller.

They will have got a message saying they have 'an offer', and they then need to process that - confirm shipping etc. It's a little strange to take some time, especially if it's a "Buy" rather than an offer, but they might just be a bit slow. Can you message the seller?
    I think its possible to contact them, but if they didn't act on a message saying someone want to buy, it doesn't seem especially likely that they'll reply to any other message! And if they are that slow and disorganised, maybe I don't really want to deal with them anyway...

Master
    IAnd if they are that slow and disorganised, maybe I don't really want to deal with them anyway...
    That would be my main concern. On the rare occasions I used it I have had to take some time to reply (checking potential postage and such like), but it only takes a moment to shoot a message and let someone know you'll get back to them in a day or so.

There should be no risk - money is in escrow until happy - but it's a bit frustrating, and if they're scatty on that, might not be so reliable on other things.

There are also sellers on chrono24 who don't actually have the watch, they say they'll source you the watch once they have your money. Some stuff like a fifty fathoms brand new for £7.6k just seems to be too good to be true. Is this an accepted business model? It would seem to be fraught with risk.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondynamo View Post
    There are also sellers on chrono24 who don't actually have the watch, they say they'll source you the watch once they have your money. Some stuff like a fifty fathoms brand new for £7.6k just seems to be too good to be true. Is this an accepted business model? It would seem to be fraught with risk.

Montredo for example openly list this as "How Montredo Works" - https://www.montredo.com/en-gb/about-us/ and they're a very successful grey market site.

From my experience I would say most do not actually hold any stock, they quote 3-4 week lead times which gives them time to source a watch from their contacts

Master
    There are also sellers on chrono24 who don't actually have the watch, they say they'll source you the watch once they have your money.
    The ad for mine gives the impression of being a private sale, though I guess it can be set up to fool people! Actually, Chrono24 have a system where they insist that the watches in the photos are set to specific times they state, so that it is clear that the watch IS in the possession of the seller - which is a clever idea. In my case, he was supposed to supply two photos, one showing 4:00 and one showing 10:40 - he managed the 4:00 OK but oddly set the other to 14:10. He may be an idiot....

I can’t find the answer to this anywhere...when you buy through Chrono24 using their credit card payment system into the escrow account are there any fees for the buyer? What about paying using Amex?

Chrono24 seem light on this information and a web search generally doesn’t answer the question, although one forum poster said he was charged an extra 4%...which would add quite a lot onto a high-end watch purchase.

There is a 2% Amex charge, but not for MasterCard and Visa.

D

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    There is a 2% Amex charge, but not for MasterCard and Visa.

D

Perfect, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
    Montredo for example openly list this as "How Montredo Works" - https://www.montredo.com/en-gb/about-us/ and they're a very successful grey market site.
    Is this a well recognised, safe and reputable method of buying watches? I'm not up to speed on how these things work, so maybe my cynicism was based on ignorance.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
    Two cents worth...and late to this party.

My last watch purchased in November was a blue titanium UN Freak X from Montredo. I found them very competitive, helpful/communicative etc...purchase was without issue or complaint and would use them again.

Like all purchases on C24, Buyer must buy the Seller, do your homework, pay with a Visa or MasterCard protected card and use escrow.

Yes Chrono24 is like eBay. Check the seller reviews thoroughly, do your homework, and all will be fine.
    And of course use a payment method where you can get your money back in case of issues.

Just hope you never have a problem as their so called customer service is worse than appalling
    I have purchased 3 watches from Chrono24 the first 2 no issues whatsoever all worked well despite my money being taken from the Escrow account as soon as delivery was confirmed.. Not when I told them I was happy with the watch

The 3rd purchase the seller sent me the wrong watch which the seller said I was liable to return fully insured at my expense which I strongly disagreed with.

At least 20 emails sent to customer service with no reply at all it took over 5 weeks to get a resolution when I had to get my credit card company involved.
    I was also extremely concerned as the seller sent me the wrong watch I thought they may say I sent them back an empty box and then Chrono24 would find in favour of the seller leaving me £7k out of pocket.
    Never again the stress was just not worth it.

If selling via Chrono 24 can a UK seller exclude specific countries e.g. state 'UK sale only'? And can Chrono 24's USA buyers circumvent the USA's Rolex import restrictions?

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I am also thinking of purchasing on C24, and have been told by them directly that its also possible to pay via BT, and visa so two transactions, and both are safe, you must pay via BT first, which takes a few days to clear into Escrow, then C24 contact you for the final payment via visa.

Master
    Resurrecting this thread. Anyone else with good Or bad experiences of buying from a private seller using the escrow service from abroad?

I am looking at something in the South Korea that has just popped up, but is from a private seller. If I decide to go for it, I will ask for references, WhatsApp message etc - buy the seller, but it would be a bit of a step into the unknown

Master
    I bought a birth year speedmaster from a private seller in the Netherlands. It was listed as a 1978 watch, but when I did more research (having already bought it) I realised that was a different year.

I complained to chrono24, but as it was a private seller, I had very little comeback, I think i got 100/200 euros compensation.

This was my fault as well so I was fairly happy with the outcome.

In future, I would be quite skeptical about buying a watch overseas unless it was new with paperwork etc, but even then, I would not spend a huge amount.

Blog Entries
    Private seller fee is 6.5% they also offer an enhanced service

Just to note i recently bought from an authorised seller on Chrono24 and there was a small issue which i negotiated with seller and funds were held until i the buyer was satisfied
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Resurrecting this thread. Anyone else with good Or bad experiences of buying from a private seller using the escrow service from abroad?

I am looking at something in the South Korea that has just popped up, but is from a private seller. If I decide to go for it, I will ask for references, WhatsApp message etc - buy the seller, but it would be a bit of a step into the unknown
    Bought my Nomos Orion from a private seller in Austria, all went well.

I bought a watch via c24 in January- it seemed like the escrow was used as soon as I confirmed delivery of the watch - it never asked me if I was happy - luckily the watch was great and from a real shop, so all ended well. Just wanted to highlight that you need to be careful when confirming ’delivery’ - that ‘delivery’ button was how my funds were released from escrow.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    Just wanted to highlight that you need to be careful when confirming ’delivery’ - that ‘delivery’ button was how my funds were released from escrow.
    Cheers for the heads up there

I'm currently awaiting a watch that I've bought for my Mrs from C24, so will definitely give it the once over before confirming delivery!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought a watch via c24 in January- it seemed like the escrow was used as soon as I confirmed delivery of the watch - it never asked me if I was happy - luckily the watch was great and from a real shop, so all ended well. Just wanted to highlight that you need to be careful when confirming ’delivery’ - that ‘delivery’ button was how my funds were released from escrow.
    Yes same experience, delivered to reception at work, I haven’t even received packaged in hand yet and money was gone. Luckily for me watch was fine.

Master
    I believe this to be the case, as soon as you acknowledge receipt of the goods, funds are released. There should be a period of evaluation after which you confirm the watch is acceptable or otherwise.

Have used C24 three times so far, all from verified dealers, 2 occasions were great and the other good. Have been reluctant to buy from a private seller so far.

Master
    Sounds like I really need to be confident in the buyer through conversations and sharing of more pictures. I have also asked for references from other sales forums, but not convinced by it yet, especially as it is a pretty expensive watch

I have only bought one watch from overseas that was listed on C24, and that was from a dealer in Maastricht and Chrono24 was really only the way I found the watch and the transaction was completed outside.

Craftsman
    the retailer does not receive any money for
    a minimum of 7 days after you receive the watch

Journeyman
    I bought my 2013 Submariner in February from a private seller from Budapest on C24. Took it to get verified ASAP, had an expert watchmaker open it to inspect it. All was perfect. Paid what you would pay retail now for it via the Escrow system and funds were not released until I was happy.

Craftsman
    I haven't bought anything from C24, but if/when I do, I will be 'buying' the seller. I don't know enough about the subject to rely my own knowledge, even with a seller I am eventually comfortable with, I would still want an independent verification.