closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple AirPods Pro - Initially Disappointing

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Apple AirPods Pro - Initially Disappointing

After desperately trying to locate a pair of these via WTB I managed to collect a pair at the Apple shop this morning ready for my early morning flight tomorrow. I have to say I am underwhelmed at the moment, nigh on impossible to get a seal (according to the ear bud tip fit test) with any of the 3 sets of buds and I’m finding the sound very much inside my head at the moment with no feeling of spaciousness. Beautifully presented, manufactured and easy to use but the sound is the most important thing to me. I think these will be returned at the end of my holiday.

My other buds, Lypertek Tevi (£99) sound so much more spacious and dynamic and with the addition of foam tips, a better fit.

Very disappointed as I had high hopes for the AirPods, anyone else not feeling the love.

I’m quite the opposite . I think they’re brilliant. I get a good seal and think the noise cancellation is very good.

Build is very typical Apple and I how it auto connects , doesn’t need turning on and battery level indicators on the phone .

Master
    Sorry to hear this they’re on my list to pick up at some point soon, general reviews I’ve read have been good and I love my original AirPods for general day to day listening aside from the fact they don’t block out any noise. For proper listening at home or on planes etc the Sony MX1000s over ear massive things are my go to

Master
    I find that for the best sound and to gain some mid range/bass I have to put them in my ear and then rotate them so the ‘stick’ is facing upwards and forwards towards my eye level..... obviously only in the privacy of my own home. They are good but I’m sure there is better on the market at the price.

I think they are fantastic and a big improvement on the gen 1’s I had...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have also tried the Cambridge Audio buds and they are very good but too much bass for me, probably OK if you like head-banging stuff.

Anyone tried the latest Sony WF-1000XM3 noise cancelling buds? They get good reviews but I believe the app is rubbish. The previous version XM2’s are not good.

Nothing beats my Tevi at the moment but I would like noise cancelling.

Master
    Old tech now but for a long time I had the bose noise cancelling ear buds with the neck band Quiet control 30 which where excellent for air travel only because I wasn’t traveling as much and had the Sony’s at home and airpods for everyday that I got rid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    I have also tried the Cambridge Audio buds and they are very good but too much bass for me, probably OK if you like head-banging stuff.

Anyone tried the latest Sony WF-1000XM3 noise cancelling buds? They get good reviews but I believe the app is rubbish. The previous version XM2’s are not good.

I have a pair of these, decent noise cancelling, can drown out any background noise on the underground at around 60% of volume, they wear quite big though, I picked up some Compy tips for mine to get a better seal too.

I barely use the app but I do like that when there is a software update it is downloaded automatically and applied through the Bluetooth connection without needing to do anything.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post
    I have a pair of these, decent noise cancelling, can drown out any background noise on the underground at around 60% of volume, they wear quite big though, I picked up some Compy tips for mine to get a better seal too.

I barely use the app but I do like that when there is a software update it is downloaded automatically and applied through the Bluetooth connection without needing to do anything.
    Are you referring to the Sony’s?

I'm using Bose Quiet Comfort 30 (which replaced an ageing pair of Quiet Comfort 20) and I'm thinking about changing to the new Air Pod Pros, wondering if anyone else has switched from Bose to Apple and how the sound and noise cancelling compares? Positive and negative views appreciated.

Craftsman
    Are you referring to the Sony’s?
    Yep the Sony’s

The problem I have had with the true wireless buds is keeping them seated well in my ear, especially on the move. Recently bought a pair of Jaybird Vista’s purely for the fit, and have subsequently spent some time tuning them using the hearing test in the Jaybird app.... they now sound good and fit is great.

I’m currently using the Sony’s as I type. Just got them yesterday and really pleased with them. Sound is the most important factor for me and that’s why I went for them. The noise cancellation is very good for a set of buds. A bit of trial and error with correct fitting but I’ve managed to get a good seal with the largest ‘hybrid’ tips. Trick is to give them a good twist when in the ear. Think I’ll try the complys though. The touch controls and connection work seamlessly.

Craftsman

Earbuds

For folk having issues with fit, google suggests that lots of companies will make custom earbuds for you.

Master
    Take a look at the Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus (not the Go or original MW07). Depending on what you want to use them for, they might be perfect - great sound, noise cancelling, plenty of buds to choose from etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboydonald View Post
    For folk having issues with fit, google suggests that lots of companies will make custom earbuds for you.
    Watch out for clearance in the wireless earbud cases with custom moulds, oversized foam tips can end up coming away from the buds in the charging cases, would-be surprised if there was enough space for custom moulds.

Master
    I've used quite a few (airpods, Bose, Sennheiser etc) and found that, for me, Jabra Elite Active 65Ts to be beat by far. We all like different sounds though and have different shaped ears so it really comes down to trying a few out until you find the ones for you (not really helpful sorry😳).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Some interesting replies & recommendations thanks. Used the Pros on my flight to Spain this morning & they performed better than expected. Despite the App telling me I didn’t have a good seal, sound was pretty good with excellent ANC and I liked the transparency feature which I used during ‘pilot chat’. They are effortless to use synchronising with iPhone & Watch.
    I still might send back on my return just so I can try other options before committing.

How can you send them back?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Apple AirPods Pro - Initially Disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    How can you send them back?
    Apple have a returns policy on everything you buy direct from them, used or not. Inform them of a return within l14 days & you have another 14 days in which to return them for a full refund

Quote Originally Posted by minskii View Post

I really like mine, although i sometimes touch the touch pad when adjusting the left bud and switch off the noise cancelling.

Sound quality is excellent and the noise cancelling (although not quite as good as Bose) is pretty good on a noisy train commute :)

Apple have a returns policy on everything you buy direct from them, used or not. Inform them of a return within l14 days & you have another 14 days in which to return them for a full refund

That’s very generous of them. I’m also looking for some new noise cancelling earphones so please update with what you choose

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    That’s very generous of them. I’m also looking for some new noise cancelling earphones so please update with what you choose
    If you are looking for noise cancelling buds rather than phones it appear the choice is between

Apple AirPod Pro
    Sony WF-1000MX3
    Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus

I've had/tried the AirPods Pro, AirPods 2 and Sony WF...

My experience with the Sonys were that they just didn't sound as good as the AP 2 - none of the frequencies were as good and the AP 2 had better clarity without being too analytical. That was just my experience, and it was disappointing since I use the big Sony WH-1000MX3 headphones which are really good. Maybe Sony tried to produce an in-ear version with NC and to some extent they succeeded, but for me I just didn't like the overall sound.

There's always going to be a compromise with bluetooth/wireless headphones between audio quality and convenience/features. However, I do appreciate the way the AirPods interface with my iPhone and I actually like the sound quality. The AP Pro are better, but you need to get a really good seal and fit for this.

Craftsman
    I really like mine. The noise cancelling isn’t quite as good as my Bose QC3s - proven by some flight testing straight after purchase - as they were overwhelmed quite quickly by engine noise. I’ve not had that happen again though on other flights.

Sound isn’t quite as good as the Shures they replaced, but as an overall package they’re excellent. Good battery life, setup is simple and connection is easy. Definitely keepers for me.

Much better than the older AirPods though - at least the pro’s actually stay in my ears!

Current: GMT Master II (LN), Submariner (LV), Explorer II Polar, SMP 300, SD43

Battery time is a bit weak though...

Current: GMT Master II (LN), Submariner (LV), Explorer II Polar, SMP 300, SD43

Master
    I've been very impressed with my AirPod Pros. I think that the fit is key - I initially kept the medium buds on mine, and the noise-leakage test reported these to be a good fit for my ears, but sound quality was a little thin. I quickly swapped for the larger size, and the sound quality improved massively.

These are far and away the most comfortable in-ear buds I've used (inc. Master & Dynamic, Flare, Bose, Jaybird, Sony, original AirPods and plenty of others in between). They're light, and I actually forgot I had them in yesterday.

Another nice touch was when I sat down to do a Skype call from my Mac, my AirPods were automatically connected...

I've got the first of this year's flights on Monday morning, so will be testing the noise cancelling against my usual Bose.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I think you will find the noise cancelling to be good enough & the transparency feature is good when you want to hear announcements etc.

picked up a pair yesterday as a replacement for my B&O E8s which I really liked. I was looking to get the latest E8 Motion but thought I would give Apple a try.

Airpod Pro sound quality is very good but imo not as good as the E8s which also had a clever app that could change the sound to your liking.
    The Airpod Pros are very light and I keep thinking they will fall out even though it says I have a good fit. I would prefer Comply tips for a better fit and feel.
    Also you can't change the volume on the Airpods Pro. You have to via Siri or your device. that's annoying.
    Noise cancelling is very good. Something B&O E8s still lacks

I like the Airpod Pros a lot, so much so I actually just bought a second pair for my girlfriend who is also a fan.

I had been using the Sony WH-1000MX3 which are fantastic with great sound and noise cancellation but practically they are quite big and take up a lot of room when travelling. I do quite a lot of flying, 85 flights last year, but usually I travel for a one or two day business trip so I try and travel light and this is where the Airpod Pros come into their own. I can easily just slip them in my pocket, the noise cancellation is perfectly good enough to drown out the noise on a plane. I find them more comfortable than the Sony headphones when I want to lie down and the integration with my iPhone just works for conference calls etc. They are also good when I want to use the gym whereas my wireless Bose gym headphones broke 3 times. I might have odd shape ears though as I use the small tip in the left ear and the medium tip in the right to get a good fit.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Listening on my hotel balcony and starting to warm to the sound, it’s not fantastic in an audiophile sense but pleasant enough with a sound that you couldn’t hate as it doesn’t do anything really badly. I’d say the sound has been deliberately aimed ‘middle of the road’ neither harsh or plummy.

My main problem is that I can’t be getting the best out of them because I cannot get (according to the app) a good fit. The small buds fall out of my ears and the large buds just don’t fit. The medium buds seem to sit comfortably and secure but despite however many times I try to reseat them or twiddle them about a poor fit is recorded.

If I keep them this will no doubt annoy me continuously

I’ve already got some Airpod Pro’s. I’m also thinking about getting a pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania for running/gym.

They seem to have really good reviews...anyone got some or know how they compare to the airpod pro?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/cam...io-melomania-1

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’ve already got some Airpod Pro’s. I’m also thinking about getting a pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania for running/gym.

They seem to have really good reviews...anyone got some or know how they compare to the airpod pro?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/cam...io-melomania-1
    Didn’t like CA Melomania, far too much mid bass which makes the mid range sound recessed. I highly recommend the Lypertek Tevi, the best sounding earbuds I’ve tried IMO and that includes the AirPod Pro. Get them from Amazon and you have 30 days to try them out.

Didn’t like CA Melomania, far too much mid bass which makes the mid range sound recessed. I highly recommend the Lypertek Tevi, the best sounding earbuds I’ve tried IMO and that includes the AirPod Pro. Get them from Amazon and you have 30 days to try them out.
    Thanks for that...I hadn’t heard of that brand. I pretty only much listen to dance music so being bass heavy is better for me and gets closer to a club sound.

Master
    Ive got pros and am enjoying them I sold my AirPod 2 and my Bose qc35ii as I was that impressed, when I originally got my air pod 2s I found myself hardly wearing the bose due to the convenience, connectivity and simplicity of the design so when the pros came out I took advantage of the Apple return policy as mentioned below and saw it as a try before you buy opportunity

Needless to say the rest have all been sold and the pros are used daily, they fit better than the original pods and battery life and functionality is improved and I love the transparency mode.

The anc isn’t as good as the Bose but it’s rare I actually use it for that and I don’t actually think there designed to compete with that I’d say they are targeted as every day use with occasional need for anc which suits me perfectly

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I’d say they are targeted as every day use with occasional need for anc which suits me perfectly
    That’s a really good way of summarising. They’re not quite perfect at any one thing but are good at most. I will still carry my Bose QC3s for longer flights but these are great for times where I’ll need something for both short flights and just wearing around town. The connectivity is great, both for just the main paired device and also if I’m connecting to either my MacBook or iPad.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Sent the AirPod Pros back to Apple today for my refund after giving them a good try over the last couple of weeks. I just couldn’t live with the lack of a good seal although I did like the noise cancelling and the sound wasn’t bad but not worth £250. I have purchased a nice pair of Sony WF-1000MX3 from SC and I really like these, a big step up in sound quality from the AirPods and nicely made, only downside is they are quite large.This is the first pair I have tried that beats my Lypertek TEVI for sound quality, so having found their successor these are destined to be listed on SC.

Journeyman
    Getting on well with my AirPod pros and find them ideal for running/gym, would agree that the sound quality isn’t top notch though.

I did have to switch the smaller ear pieces but only on one ear to get a good fit!!

- - - Updated - - -

Getting on well with my AirPod pros and find them ideal for running/gym, would agree that the sound quality isn’t top notch though.

I did have to switch the smaller ear pieces but only on one ear to get a good fit!!

Master
    Had the pros around 2 weeks now, I find them good for everyday use and a huge step up from the original AirPods due to sound isolation. Sound wise they’re not the best but perfectly good for my needs and the convenience and form factor makes up for that for me. My original AirPods have been superb for the past 2 years or so showing signs of wear and drops etc but they’ve never let me down used daily fingers crossed these will last just as well.

Much like watches and sunglasses, I now seem to be collecting earphones/headphones!

My current ‘collection’:

Airpod Pro: great for the convenience when paired with an iPhone even if they sacrifice some sound quality compared to other similar priced earphones. I use these day-to-day travelling.

AKG Y50BT: for on ear listening when travelling...although not noise cancelling, I think these offer excellent value for money.

Sony WH-1000xm3: over ear headphones for proper noise cancellation and better sound quality. Only just invested in these and really impressed...they live up to their 5* reviews.

MPow S11: wireless for running...can’t fault them...sound quality/bass is actually really good for the price...they get used/abused so when they break, I just buy a new pair for £18. Each set seems to last about 12-18 months before they stop working for me.

Craftsman
    I recently bought some in T5 before a flight.
    I normally use Bose over ear for noise cancelling but found I never use them any other time. These really are very good but can’t quite compete with over ear for cancelling.

I use these regularly now and am impressed with them considering their tiny size.
    I find the sound clear and detailed. Yes initially the bass is a bit lacking, however I found using the check sound function and repositioning them improved it. The bass also sounds quite deep (as opposed to loud) when in sound cancelling mode, I guess they were calibrated to use this all the time when listening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm enjoying my pair as well. The compactness is great, along with wireless charging. Sound quality and noise cancelling is pretty good from them.

However, when travelling on flights, I'll stick to my trusty QC3s.

Master
    Had mine a few weeks now and I’m pleased with them, big improvement over the original AirPods Ive had for 2 years. Compared to my Sony wh1000s noise cancelling and sound quality they're nowhere near so if I was doing loads of flying or only using at home I wouldn’t bother with anything but the Sony.
    Having said that for out and about daily use coupled with the convenience of size, portability, decent sound and brilliant for calls not to mention all day comfort the AirPod pros have been an excellent buy.

Master
    Upgraded from standard pods and have to say, very impressed with the pros.

Expensive but you get what you pay for, rock solid Bluetooth connection and flex to control outside activity suits me perfectly.

Calls are good and I use them most days at work.