closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Google Home Smart Assistant

Craftsman

Google Home Smart Assistant

Happy New Year all !
    Have any member got any experience and subsequently any tips , recommendations , useful to know hints with regards to the above ?
    Thank you in anticipation .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you have young children, you can ask it to make different animal noises.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Very useful , thank you . I have small grandchildren !

Its also basically our radio now to play bbc news or radio 1 etc. Or play spotify

If you have smart home products connected, you can control the lighting or heating.

Other daily use such as weather, reminders, traffic on commute.

Ask it anything like you would on the web. Translate, currency exchange, define words...

Craftsman
    I am very grateful for your first hand knowledge , & practical insight .

We have Alexa (pretty much the same thing) we use it following.
    Turn in and off bedside lights “Alexa lights off” via plug thing.
    Radio “Alexa play radio 4”
    Go to bed joke “Alexa joke” 1 in 5 is funny
    And the best use
    A smart kettle “Alexa kettle 100% on” we even have it set so when my wife pulls up on the drive the kettle turns on automatically.

We also use it to speak to my son in his bedroom without shouting from lounge “Alexa announcement”

If you really want to keep the grandchildren laughing for hours “Alexa fart”........😂

We have several Google Smart Assistants around the house and we use it mainly to control our Hue lighting and ay Spotify tracks. The voice recognition is very good and because it's connected directly to the Google search engine, you don't have to remember "Skill" trigger phrases as per Alexa.
    BTW we did have an Alexa device but applying all the skills was a pain in the arse, plus I could not get it work with our Hue lights. Everything, was setup correctly in the app, but Alexa kept saying no suitable Skill installed (even though it was according to the app??). The Google device worked perfectly from the off.

We use ours for the radio and spotify, checking the weather for the day, settling arguments by searching the web, and very often for setting timers/alarms.

We have a few around the house which is handy as you can "hey google broadcast..." and send messages to gently encourage the kids to come up for their baths etc. I also convinced my soon to be 4 year old that each time I "broadcast", Father Christmas got the message as well... stopped some naughty behaviour in the lead up to the big day!

For the kids, they can ask for jokes, bedtime stories and what the time is/weather is like in the various parts of the world our family live! And as above, animal noises are always a giggle.

We can also set our heating, switch off tvs (with chromecasts) etc. but to be honest, that novelty has worn off.

I know Alexa is the same but at a friends the other day who has an Alexa, they were playing the animal/vegetable/mineral 20 questions game. I want google home to be able to do that for the kids (honestly for them!)... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I am very grateful for your first hand knowledge , & practical insight .

Happy to help!

Craftsman
    Have one in most rooms, used for:
    Turning lights on and off
    Playing Tidal / TuneIn radio
    Turning tv / projector / hifi on and off
    Routines for the dog (music and lights when I’m away from home)
    Cooking YouTube vids in the kitchen
    Weather
    Directions
    Sterling arguments

Wouldn’t be without it.