closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beach holiday watch

Blog Entries

Beach holiday watch

Only going to take one watch and needs to be water proof for pool swimming - don’t want to take off. Want a date complication so no-dates ruled out. I’ve therefore narrowed down to one of these two. Which would you take?

The big advantage of the VC is the three no-tool change straps / bracelet that is inclusive. But I know the LV would not fail me - the VC less experience.

Before you talk about ‘stupid you taking an expensive watch on holiday - why take the risk - I’d just take a casio’ - let me be preemptive - the watch is all risk insured against theft accidental damage and loss etc.

So - which would be your choice of these two and why??

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st January 2020 at 17:55.

Craftsman
    The Hulk for sure, wear and don’t worry. If it picks up a few scratches they can be removed eventually come service time

VC purely because the LV would 'bling' too much for me in the sunshine with that sunburst dial.

Also after buying the VC in winter it would be nice to get a peak at that dial in real sunshine.

I think a nice Planet Ocean Chrono would work Martyn

If the VC has a choice of straps to change I would say that one but I dont know the water resistance of it I assume you do and its fine for swimming. Both very nice watches but for a holiday to have the choice to change the watch around a bit for different occasions would be a big bonus.

Personally I have never really understood the whole taking a watch on holiday especially to a pool/beach holiday as on holiday the last thing I want to check is the time. Plus a steel bracelet I would find uncomfortable, potentially too hot/cold depending on where I am and end up with a lovely white line on my wrist where it had been sitting when I get back.

Still, enough of my moaning enjoy your trip and my vote goes to the VC.

For me it would be the VC. Purely because I can't stand hulk rolex. The VC has alot of class

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    For me it would be the VC. Purely because I can't stand hulk rolex. The VC has alot of class

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    This ^

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If the VC has a choice of straps to change I would say that one but I dont know the water resistance of it I assume you do and its fine for swimming. Both very nice watches but for a holiday to have the choice to change the watch around a bit for different occasions would be a big bonus.

Personally I have never really understood the whole taking a watch on holiday especially to a pool/beach holiday as on holiday the last thing I want to check is the time. Plus a steel bracelet I would find uncomfortable, potentially too hot/cold depending on where I am and end up with a lovely white line on my wrist where it had been sitting when I get back.

Still, enough of my moaning enjoy your trip and my vote goes to the VC.
    wrt 150m and has just been VC serviced so seals checked only in Dec. It comes with steel bracelet / rubber / leather straps all can be changed without tooling (well a finger nail needed).

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I think a nice Planet Ocean Chrono would work Martyn
    might be a contender if only SWMBO knows about it. It’s on my ‘futures’ list for 2020.

Craftsman
    VC for versatility of the strap change. Not sure what the straps are but if there’s a rubber for round the pool/swimming and bracelet for evening then perfect.

Can’t go wrong with the hulk either, nice dilemma to have and the dial in any light is a winner.

Blog Entries
    Hulk, but maybe on a nato or rubber b ?

I chose a nato for this beach trip

z

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    wrt 150m and has just been VC serviced so seals checked only in Dec. It comes with steel bracelet / rubber / leather straps all can be changed without tooling (well a finger nail needed).
    Then for sure the VC. As someone else said, rubber watch strap for days around the pool then the leather strap or bracelet for evenings/meal out. I assume they have quick change spring bars?

Neither Martyn, surely the Omega Orange METAS Chronograph you own is the most prefect holiday watch, it even has an independently adjustable hour hand.

Craftsman
    VC as the Rolex will be a target for thieves and although insured will spoil the holiday experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Before you talk about ‘stupid you taking an expensive watch on holiday - why take the risk - I’d just take a casio’ - let me be preemptive - the watch is all risk insured against theft accidental damage and loss etc.”
    But Martyn, do you have the same all risks cover on yourself?
    i tend to agree with Steve and the Omega.

Craftsman
    Vc for me with all the strap options perfect and a gorgeous watch
    Hulk is just a look at me piece bling bling rob me
    And i owned one for 8 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Before you talk about ‘stupid you taking an expensive watch on holiday - why take the risk - I’d just take a casio’ - let me be preemptive - the watch is all risk insured against theft accidental damage and loss etc.”
    But Martyn, do you have the same all risks cover on yourself?
    i tend to agree with Steve and the Omega.
    I can take care of myself as necessary. But seriously, we are going to a sleepy off-peek town in the Algarve. I took more ‘risk’ wearing a watch in the Whitgift Center last Saturday.

(please see notes above why only the two listed are my decided choices)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st January 2020 at 18:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Then for sure the VC. As someone else said, rubber watch strap for days around the pool then the leather strap or bracelet for evenings/meal out. I assume they have quick change spring bars?

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st January 2020 at 18:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I can take care of myself as necessary. But seriously, we are going to a sleepy off-peek town in the Algarve. I take more ‘risk’ wearing a watch in the Whitgift Center last Saturday.

(please see notes above why only the two listed are my decided choices)
    In which event, the VC - so much nicer than the green thing.

Master
    I took my Pepsi to the Algarve in the summer and never once worried about wearing it.

I’d take the hulk myself, great watch and in many angles it looks black anyway - one of the great features of it.

Master
    Between those 2 the hulk would be my preference fits in dressed down around the pool and dressed up going out, my holiday watch is usually a seadweller or yachtmaster though so I maybe biased.

VC for me as it’s special and you can enjoy it while enjoying the break.

Master
    I would take the VC. Option of easy strap changes and less of a cliche than the Rolex.

VC out of those two for the easy strap changing.

BTW, I completely agree re enjoying your ‘nice’ watches on holiday. Totally understand the opposing view but for me this whole watch thing is about enjoyment. Given what you’ve said about your destination, it sounds like you should be pretty safe anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I would take neither, just in case some little scally would rob them. I would purchased a little Casio or something of that ilk.

The VC. No-one in Blackpool will recognise it.

Master
    Question for you guys that advocate a Casio or similar when do you wear your favourite watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The VC. No-one in Blackpool will recognise it.
    hehe

Craftsman
    Both could do the pool and evenings out etc.

I would choose the sub. It has a rotating bezel that I like when timing sun exposure etc.

Plus, experience of a watch in hot climes, with a sapphire case back was unpleasant to say the least. My wrist got gooey quickly. Uncomfortable enough that I'd never forget. Never again.

If you’re seriously asking, it HAS to be the Hulk, and I’d put it in a Nato. Anything else would be foolhardy.

Hulk. Built for such duties surely.

I understand that it’s easy enough for a thief to remove a Submariner from a wrist without the owner realising their watch has been stolen......

I would therefore take the VC, as no one will recognise it.

Craftsman
    Both nice watches but the more I wore my Hulk, the more I just felt it wasn’t for me. Too bling and in the end I parted company with it. For me, the perfect all rounder is something like an Omega PO.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for input. Some food for thought. And something I hadn’t thought of was to put the Sub on a NATO. I can see how a time bezel would be good for various reasons while on hols.

Craftsman
    It just has to be the Vacheron, Not sure how long this beach holiday is going to be but the ability to swap out between the straps essentially means you'll be taking 3 watches with you. The Gen 3 looks and wears different depending on the combination you pick.

For me i've also experianced the VC can start some rather intriguing conversations when on vacation.

VC without doubt
    Never liked the hulk- I’d be selling that tonight!

My choice would be the VC.

(However in reality for recent holidays I’ve taken my Seiko SKX. It is one less thing to worry about. Have a good trip.)

My beach holiday watch is usually this

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    My choice would be the VC.

(However in reality for recent holidays I’ve taken my Seiko SKX. It is one less thing to worry about. Have a good trip.)
    Took my skx and a selection of natos.

Craftsman
    The one I would least like to lose or have stolen is the VC, so I'd take the Hulk :-)

Neither! Buy a new one at the airport!

Seriously I like the comfort a glidelock gives in hot climates so the LVc would be my choice.

I would also vote for the 116610LV, just for the sake of durability. The VC could definitely do the job, but if you’re going to the beach I’d worry about sand and the bezel of the VC (mine has picked up micro scratches just from wearing to the office!)

Master
    I'd take the VC. Apart from the clever strap changing, its somehow boring and predictable (to my warped mind anyway) to wear a Rolex just 'cos its going to get wet.