closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sales Threads ruined

Master
    Blog Entries

Sales Threads ruined

It’s a noticeable cause of angst on here that sales posts inter alía are purportedly ruined for whatever reason and the OP loses control of the thread. This angst has really taken off in recent months with very vitriolic, hostile and confrontational language and positions being assumed and held strong.

Is the time now right to empower OPs to close any thread they’ve started when it goes off track? We could try it for 3/6 months to see if the ‘spirit’ of the forum picks up again and it returns to being a decent place again. I’m not going to stray into how, given TZ Forum is in public domain and some posts on here could be construed as crossing a lawfulness line, a far higher authority may determine actionable matters, not me.

I’m conscious the whole forum thing is someone else’s ball that we get to play with, but right now the ball appears in grave danger of being punctured on many counts and imploding into a hostile place than a place of info sharing and enjoyment.

I’ve no idea what if any process or grovelling needs to be done to have proposals adopted, but if anyone else thinks the notion is worth trying then the critical mass of numbers might just see a change to the positive.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you say ruined what do you mean?

I don't stick my oar in too often on the SC, but I think that much of the "self-moderating" bit of the forum is the kind of comments that we see on sales threads. I know the downside is the threadspoiling, but I can think of plenty of times when someone has piped up and pointed out that the watch was bought on eBay last week for 50% of the SC price (for example), or that the OP has form.

no easy answers, I guess.

Really only one person's view matters and that person isn't any of us.

Threads go wild when:

-Someone asks an amount of money for something that's almost offensive.

-Watch was bought yesterday and the seller wants the absolute full and maximum profit today.

-Hand caught in the cookie jar after being all high and mighty (Ally with the GMT etc).

-Want "what it owes them" regardless of market price.

-Bought it off eBay a week before and now want to milk a bunch of WIS mugs on SC

-Sell 10 year old battered sandals which in all honesty should have just been dropped off at the charity shop.

Oh and let's not forget the recent favourite of "here's my watch for sale, dickheads. No pics, you know what it is. Just buy it or shut up".

Leave it as is until Sir himself decides otherwise.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 1st January 2020 at 16:08.

There is a responsibility on people listing stuff for sale to make an effort. Lazy sales posts with no pictures or a link to where they bought if from a week ago sum this up perfectly, as do currently on the top of a mountain somewhere, will post details and pics later. In that case why not wait until later before posting at all.

Putting profiteering to one side for a moment, if questions need to be asked about what's included, service history etc then it is a poor listing and these questions are not thread trashing, but merely trying to fill in the gaps left by a poor sales listing. Just stop and think for a moment, if you were buying what would you want to know.

Most sales listings with plenty of details and some decent photos tend to pass without incident.

Personally, I support the logic of closed sales posts like they are on other forums, but as stated, it isn't my shout.

That's why I'll be going straight to Watchfinder when I come to sell my Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    That's why I'll be going straight to Watchfinder when I come to sell my Rolex.
    Don't blame you. Quick search of the WTB then grey if nothing interesting. Worth pointing out thougu that most people would be grateful to buy for the WF buy price.

Must be news to some how many steel Rolexes have been sold on SC recently without the 'usual suspects', 'forum police' and the newly-coined 'Raffe and his gang' trashing the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    It’s a noticeable cause of angst on here that sales posts inter alía are purportedly ruined for whatever reason and the OP loses control of the thread. This angst has really taken off in recent months with very vitriolic, hostile and confrontational language and positions being assumed and held strong.

Is the time now right to empower OPs to close any thread they’ve started when it goes off track? We could try it for 3/6 months to see if the ‘spirit’ of the forum picks up again and it returns to being a decent place again. I’m not going to stray into how, given TZ Forum is in public domain and some posts on here could be construed as crossing a lawfulness line, a far higher authority may determine actionable matters, not me.

I’m conscious the whole forum thing is someone else’s ball that we get to play with, but right now the ball appears in grave danger of being punctured on many counts and imploding into a hostile place than a place of info sharing and enjoyment.

I’ve no idea what if any process or grovelling needs to be done to have proposals adopted, but if anyone else thinks the notion is worth trying then the critical mass of numbers might just see a change to the positive.
    Extra points for the rank affectation of your high-falutin’ prose style, but ... no.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Feels a bit wrong to be questioning the forum on the first day of the new year. Sales threads normally sort themselves out with common sense prevailing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Must be news to some how many steel Rolexes have been sold on SC recently without the 'usual suspects', 'forum police' and the newly-coined 'Raffe and his gang' trashing the threads.
    That would perhaps be news, how many is it so we all know for future reference? I presume you have taken note of the numbers.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    When the time comes for me to sell one of my small collection I shall very likely get a price from WF then offer here for a reasonable amount above that ( based on other completed sales where info available) which will hopefully satisfy the 'panel'.
    Similar to what I do when selling anything else.
    That's the plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That would perhaps be news, how many is it so we all know for future reference? I presume you have taken note of the numbers.
    Yes. There were six in a row that passed without strife between Nov 18-Nov 26. I stopped counting after that.

Blog Entries
    Yes. There were six in a row that passed without strife between Nov 18-Nov 26. I stopped counting after that.
    Thats good then. Six seems a lot in that period. How many were trashed in the last couple of months would you say?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

So you and your usual suspect chums comment if threads are ruined (in your opinion) and you comment if they don't? As bad as any others.

There's a trope perpetuated by some members that all Rolex sales threads get trashed: see the comments about selling to the trade instead of on sales corner to avoid the perceived inevitable hassle. I pointed out in the BP over a week or so, tongue in cheek, all the Rolex sales threads that completed without any problems.

You see, it was satirising those doomsters and gloomsters who stated and continue to state that all Rolex sales threads are ruined. Cos they all aren't.