closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: smart meters-good or bad?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I was led to understand that they all have sim cards linked to 3G. Just what I have been told though.
    Faraday pouch would therefore work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Debit card to confirm its you but its not used. It has hundred of great ratings on the App Store and its well recognised.
    Tried it, seems my meter isn’t on their network.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I was led to understand that they all have sim cards linked to 3G. Just what I have been told though.
    Not in Scotland and the north of England. Communication is by Long Range Radio provided by Arquiva Ltd. through its network of radio masts.

For the rest of England and Wales O2 provides communication via 2G/3G cellular networks. Unfortunately the Government wants all 2G and 3G networks to be closed by 2033. This means that all existing smart meter cellular communication hubs will have to be replaced to be able to use 4G. It'll be alright though, the cost will just be added to our bills.

Grand Master
    If I want a cup of tea and some toast and then go watch tv all day,I know using those appliances will incur a cost,the smart meter between my ears tells me that much.
    The alternative is cold tea with sliced bread and sit looking out the window instead.
    Doesnt everyone know turning an appliance on costs,you dont need a smart meter to tell you how much its using if you "want" to achieve the 3 tasks above.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    If I want a cup of tea and some toast and then go watch tv all day,I know using those appliances will incur a cost,the smart meter between my ears tells me that much.
    The alternative is cold tea with sliced bread and sit looking out the window instead.
    Doesnt everyone know turning an appliance on costs,you dont need a smart meter to tell you how much its using if you "want" to achieve the 3 tasks above.
    Smart meter doesn't tell you that, its the IHD job to show you what you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Smart meter doesn't tell you that, its the IHD job to show you what you're using.
    You should tell the suppliers:-

What are smart meters?

Smart meters are self-reading gas and electricity meters that show how much energy you’re using in pounds and pence – so it’s easy to keep an eye on how much you’re spending.
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/smart-h...rt-meters.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yeh but you need the monitor if you want to see it real time otherwise it'll just correlate any data daily on its companion app or supplier website assuming you've registered.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    My boss had one installed - He said for a couple of weeks they were worrying about using virtually everything (boiling the kettle, leaving a light on for 15 seconds when they walked out of a room and back in).

After that they just put the display back in its box.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    My boss had one installed - He said for a couple of weeks they were worrying about using virtually everything (boiling the kettle, leaving a light on for 15 seconds when they walked out of a room and back in).

After that they just put the display back in its box.

M
    Exactly......people will become over obsessed with everything using power in the home.We use what we use.My Wife sits in the conservatory watching tv,ill go in the living room and turn the other tv on to watch what I want.
    That will never change,but Im well aware of the meter spinning faster without the smart meter or whatever other add on will tell me.

Im watching a film...end off.

Grand Master
    I think most folks are the same, the smart meter display thingy is a novelty at first, then after 2 weeks it goes in a drawer and stays there. Most of us are savvy enough to realise which appliances are expensive to run and watching a meter display run into the red isn’t really telling us anything we don’t know.

I’ve got a nice old- school hi- fi set up in my lounge with two amplifiers bi- amped together, it has crossed my mind how much power it uses, but I quickly dismiss the thought whilst digging another record out of the vinyl collection.........best not to worry about some stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think most folks are the same, the smart meter display thingy is a novelty at first, then after 2 weeks it goes in a drawer and stays there. Most of us are savvy enough to realise which appliances are expensive to run and watching a meter display run into the red isn’t really telling us anything we don’t know.

I’ve got a nice old- school hi- fi set up in my lounge with two amplifiers bi- amped together, it has crossed my mind how much power it uses, but I quickly dismiss the thought whilst digging another record out of the vinyl collection.........best not to worry about some stuff!
    There’s the problem, a vast number of people can barely tie their shoe laces let alone think about how much things cost
    I’m guessing you don’t have one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk