closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Q- what am I missing

Sky Q- what am I missing

We joined Sky before Xmas which has been fine however we opted for the Q box because we knew we were changing the TV to 4K
    This has now been bought and installed ok but where the hell are the UHD channels? So far I’ve marvelled in watching the Darts championship with amazing clarity but that’s it. I was expecting a few more channels TBH and can’t see anymore anywhere which leads me to believe I’m probably bing a dumbass.
    FFF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My initial reaction would be ....there are no UHD 'channels' as such.

You will find UHD content on both the sports and cinema channels and can filter within them.

So that's some sports events and some films but certainly not all.

If you have access to Netflix they will show up automatically...if you have paid extra for the 4K service.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Agree, felt as limited as when HD was first out, so I didn’t bother with being an early adopter this time around & will wait for content & channels to build first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree, felt as limited as when HD was first out, so I didn’t bother with being an early adopter this time around & will wait for content & channels to build first.

Really surprising to see so little channels tbh. 4K is hardly the very latest tech and saw a stand being put up for 8k in a JL store over Xmas.

Genuine question- isn’t normal HD good enough for most content? - and once everything is 4K and it becomes ‘normal’ will anyone really notice the difference? I always walk through John Lewis and marvel at the £6k TV’s which will be £1k in 2 years time and wonder who buys them when we all know prices will tumble and specs will change

I agree. There’s not a lot of uhd on the sky q system
    Some movies and some sport at the mo that’s it I believe.
    Amazon and Netflix 4K is superior to sky q uhd in picture quality I find

Craftsman
    The UHD content on Sky is not the best advert for 4K - it’s compressed (particularly if streamed rather than a live broadcast) and doesn’t yet include HDR. Also, some content is only “enhanced for UHD”, which implies nothing more than an HD upscale.

The best way to watch 4K is still physical media, the improvement is very noticeable on most discs. Some streaming services get close, BBC iPlayer UHD content for example looks superb. If you can, and your TV supports the BBC’s implementation of HDR (HLG), watch the Seven Worlds One Planet series as a good example.

Until Sky implement HDR and up the bit rate its UHD content will only look slightly better than HD, and not the leap that 4K should be over HD.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    The UHD content on Sky is not the best advert for 4K - it’s compressed (particularly if streamed rather than a live broadcast) and doesn’t yet include HDR. Also, some content is only “enhanced for UHD”, which implies nothing more than an HD upscale.

The best way to watch 4K is still physical media, the improvement is very noticeable on most discs. Some streaming services get close, BBC iPlayer UHD content for example looks superb. If you can, and your TV supports the BBC’s implementation of HDR (HLG), watch the Seven Worlds One Planet series as a good example.

Until Sky implement HDR and up the bit rate its UHD content will only look slightly better than HD, and not the leap that 4K should be over HD.
    This is absolutely correct

Current: GMT Master II (LN), Submariner (LV), Explorer II Polar, SMP 300, SD43

Master
    If it is 4K content you want then a fair few on AVForums seem to have moved to using Apple TV 4K. Apple regularly update films to 4K and often have sales so people switch out of physical BR to Apple versions. You will also get Apple TV+ for free for a year when you purchase one which softens the price and those series are also 4K afaik. I now use the ATV as the media hub for playback of Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc and even the wife can use it :-)