closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audiophile streamers

Master

Audiophile streamers

I'm interested to hear of other experiences regarding audiophile quality streamers that can play from local media servers (FLAC files) and also services such as Tidal. My own journey began looking at Blue sound and Yamaha music cast devices, however I was rather put off by the price. I then started looking at reviews of Raspberry PI based streamers and ended up ordering the following which I understand is best of breed:

https://allo.com/sparky-eu/boss-player.html

What's particularly attractive of these types of devices is that they can be upgraded this as new services become available. I am planning to use Moose Audio on this player.

What differentiates a Pi in a box from an "audiophile" streamer is the user experience; (app - desktop/mobile & (very) nice to haves like named presets and easy to sort playlists), the power supply helps sound Q quite a bit as does the quality of the DAC IC application (a bit like watch movements, not all ETA2824 implementations are created equal, so don't think having the same chip-set will result in good sound, it may or may not).

How much would a used BluSound Node 2i be? Their app is top drawer & you'll use it more as a result. That would be my choice.

I won't bore you with my c.v., streaming (high quality) audio is my work area.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    What differentiates a Pi in a box from an "audiophile" streamer is the user experience; (app - desktop/mobile & (very) nice to haves like named presets and easy to sort playlists), the power supply helps sound Q quite a bit as does the quality of the DAC IC application (a bit like watch movements, not all ETA2824 implementations are created equal, so don't think having the same chip-set will result in good sound, it may or may not).

How much would a used BluSound Node 2i be? Their app is top drawer & you'll use it more as a result. That would be my choice.

I won't bore you with my c.v., streaming (high quality) audio is my work area.

Good insight and you're not the first to comment on the quality of UI on BluSound. I appreciate that going the Raspberry PI route is a compromise in this respect. My exception and hope is that the sound quality will be at least equivalent with the Boss DAC and a decent linear psu.

Craftsman
    If you’re going down the Pi route have a look here - https://www.hifiberry.com/

Jake

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    If you’re going down the Pi route have a look here - https://www.hifiberry.com/

Jake
    Thanks Jake. I'm aware of this site, based on my research the Boss 1.2 DACs come out ahead. The proof will be in the listening and I'll post a view when up and running.

Seems like you've made your mind up, the DIY route is a bit of fun for sure.
    Happy new year

Journeyman
    I can personally recommend Schiit audio, well made and well priced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    Seems like you've made your mind up, the DIY route is a bit of fun for sure.
    Happy new year

Thanks - I enjoy tinkering with technology so the BlackBerry PI streamer will be right up my street. The model I linked to does come assembled so I expect more config than build. I may end up buying a BluSound in the end!

Craftsman
    Do you mean Moode Audio?

If you’re planning on a diy Pi based system have a look at http://iqaudio.co.uk/

They make good quality Pi DACs and amps that are Pi Hat formfactor and are supported by most of the popular Pi audio packages - Moode/Roon/Volumio etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    Do you mean Moode Audio?

If you’re planning on a diy Pi based system have a look at http://iqaudio.co.uk/

They make good quality Pi DACs and amps that are Pi Hat formfactor and are supported by most of the popular Pi audio packages - Moode/Roon/Volumio etc.
    Yes sorry - Moode audio.

Its not DIY, but I have been really impressed with my Yamaha MusicCast NP-S303.

I have a huge repository of FLAC on Laptop and I bluetooth that across to the NP-S303.

Master
    Cambridge audio do some very nice streamers that just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thank you for all the comments. I now have the Allo Boss player running Moode Audio and the usability and sound quality is outstanding. Currently streaming my CD collection recently ripped to flac files and stored on my NAS. A very economical way of audiophile quality streaming - I bought the assembled kit for about £150 although I am guessing it can be done cheaper if you were to buy a Raspberry Pi etc and order only the DAC from Allo.