closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

I met a chap over Christmas, who was wearing a 'Daytona 116500', whilst doing some tree felling.

I asked him if he wasn't worried about damaging it, and he replied that he was careful, but it wasn't actually the 'real thing' - although he did also have a genuine one at home, that he had owned for a couple of years.

He explained that, when he first started wearing the original, because of the value, there were times when he felt uncomfortable about the risk of scratching or damaging it, or having it stolen. So, he then bought a very good replica, from a friend, which he wears on certain 'higher risk' occasions, with no misgivings. Indeed, it looked pretty good to me, and I wouldn't have known if he hadn't told me. As he said, I never feel bad about it, because it's not a deceit, just a practical solution to protecting my investment.

Can't really fault the logic, but do many people do that?

I would rather wear a G-Shock or cheap diver to keep my integrity, who is he trying to impress anyway wearing a Daytona while landscaping??

I get wearing a cheaper watch sometimes, I don't get the necessity of it looking exactly the same as the more expensive watch.

I love the detail of the "very good replica" being acquired "from a friend". Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would rather wear a G-Shock or cheap diver to keep my integrity, who is he trying to impress anyway wearing a Daytona while landscaping??
    Agree...seems pointless...he must still have paid the price of a G-Shock for that thing...I’d have bought a more honest watch.

Can’t fault the logic? Bullshit! No one has ever done this, ever.

It’s a WIS urban myth invented and perpetuated by idiots.

Absolutely not. That's what G-Shocks and Seiko are for. If someone told me that I'd think they were lying about having a real one at home.

Craftsman
    No, I’d never do it.

That said, on the subject of good watches worn in unexpected occupations, I noted a DSSD on the roofer that came to quote for some work on my house. I don’t know whether he’d wear the same when on the job at height.

Let’s be clear it’s not a replica it’s a fake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Let’s be clear it’s not a replica it’s a fake!

What’s the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s the difference?
    For me this sums it up perfectly

1. Replicas are copies which may have been made by the consent of the original company to reduce its cost or be used in museums in order to protect the original, or in cases when the real item does not exist and still needs to be displayed.

2. A fake is also a copy but mostly sold illegally for profit without the consent of the original company.

Master
    What’s the difference?

I think saying "replica" is intended to convey a sense of respectability while saying "fake" is calling a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I noted a DSSD on the roofer that came to quote for some work on my house.
    I don’t think that I’d want to be paying his prices. 😬

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Absolutely not. That's what G-Shocks and Seiko are for. If someone told me that I'd think they were lying about having a real one at home.
    Agree with this. Just say no to fakes

recently a senior colleague of mine showed me an used DeepSea that costed him $50. His comment included heavy, solid and well-made and I said the pin pea at 12:00 just gives it away.

Someone really quite enjoys what he paid for and might not realize how the listeners could feel about him when he actually could be that honest to tell the truth.

I start to rethink and understand why Rolex does not show any high profile cases against replicas

1. free advertising and brand building;
    2. free trial out for potential buyer;
    3. genuine and affordable customers will buy or eventually buy the real deal;
    4. they don't even have sufficient manufacturing capacity to meet the current demand yet.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 31st December 2019 at 03:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Short answer,no.

Craftsman
    No, most 'watch people' have a beater for this occasion or at least 1 watch you dont mind taking a hit on it

What’s the difference?
    Replica is a term you only see on sites where people buy and sell fakes.

When you see it used by people as a matter of course on normal watch sites it generally means if you buy something off them to check it over closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I don’t think that I’d want to be paying his prices.
    Maybe he's good at his job?

At least he was honest about wearing a fake.

Personally, I don't care what other people wear, do to their faces, asses or tits. Just be honest about it, haha.

Craftsman
    Simply no, It is deceit. This cover story about the value is farcical, as many have said you'd buy another watch.

I agree with others here, definitely a big no to the fake. Buy a G-Shock or something similar for work and wear the real watch in downtime when it can be enjoyed.

Master
    I wouldn’t do it, I don’t see who or what it satisfies by doing it, is it to remind him that he allegedly has a real one at home, I doubt it or is it to strike a conversation with people that he (wink) has on at home, pointless

Master
    I know someone that wears a genuine Omega speedmaster daily and keeps a fake daytona (in its fake box) for special occasions. Ponder that!

Master
    Personally, I think everyone can wear what they want. There are still some vestiges of freedom in this country, unless us WIS form our own branch of the fashion police!

To me it just highlights the madness of buying a ludicrously expensive watch that you are then afraid of wearing!

Craftsman
    It's a no from me. Wearing a fake watch doesn't appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    For me this sums it up perfectly

1. Replicas are copies which may have been made by the consent of the original company to reduce its cost or be used in museums in order to protect the original, or in cases when the real item does not exist and still needs to be displayed.

2. A fake is also a copy but mostly sold illegally for profit without the consent of the original company.

I’d add that ‘fake’ is also used here to convey a sense of outrage but really a spurious distinction. Car copies, for example, are almost always ‘replicas’, watches ‘fakes’.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ye. I don't believe him.

Does he have a number sticker on his car saying his other car is a Porsche?

He should have gone the whole hog and bought a fake G-Shock

Grand Master
    It's quite simply HIS choice and decision to do whatever HE wants,no one needs approval from anyone else as to what he does with his money.

Tell the same story to your average Joe or mate down the pub,he will probably be tired of hearing about all your watch talk,I tended to gravitate towards what watches I'd bought over a pint or three,I no longer bother because they don't give a FF!.
    It's only ever going to get people talking on a watch forum,it's not that important in the fuller picture of life in general.......is it.

Craftsman
    I’d wear something else. That said I have bought what I consider to be daily beaters & then realised pretty quickly that I like them just as much & didn’t want them marked either!! I guess getting the first mark or scratch is the toughest.
    I do try & wear a watch that is appropriate to what I’m doing & what I’m comfortable with marking or not.

Master
    Yes I would, and sometimes do.

Edit: to clarify, I don't have a replica of my 16750 that I wear to "protect" it. I do have a few replicas of other watches. They aren't connected to my ownership of a genuine Rolex.

I imagine some people would say that the replica ownership described in the top post is a bit more ethical. Like owning a home-burned CD copy of an original album that you do legitimately own, to keep in the car and protect from scratches.
    Last edited by monogroover; 31st December 2019 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Maybe he's good at his job?
    I’d feel the same way if he showed up driving a 911.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It's quite simply HIS choice and decision to do whatever HE wants,no one needs approval from anyone else as to what he does with his money.

Tell the same story to your average Joe or mate down the pub,he will probably be tired of hearing about all your watch talk,I tended to gravitate towards what watches I'd bought over a pint or three,I no longer bother because they don't give a FF!.
    It's only ever going to get people talking on a watch forum,it's not that important in the fuller picture of life in general.......is it.
    That..

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Fakes are illegal. End of.
    Obviously some people think the law doesn’t apply to them, including on this forum.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Fake watch, fake story? Not such a leap.

Grand Master
    You can't make an assumption as to whether that expensive looking watch that a person who doesn't look like he'd be able to afford said watch isn't genuine!.
    An unemployed friend has a Rolex sub(vintage) that came to him from his long gone uncle,he won't sell it,I've tried to buy it believe me,and I'd make the assumption that he might need the money!!.

And yet my assumption of him needing the money and not the watch is simply because he's not in work and could also be way off!,I don't know his financial situation either.

The fact is whilst sipping your fancy drink,the chap at your side may or may not Infact be wearing a genuine PP or other,even tho you saw him pull up in his 911 or other high end car,he might not be into watches in the way we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I’d feel the same way if he showed up driving a 911.
    Raises an interesting thought though. Is it okay for my accountant to wear, for example, a Patek, but not my roofer? They both charge me for what they consider to be an honest fee for a day's work; so which one is considered to be ripping me off if they wear a Patek?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I start to rethink and understand why Rolex does not show any high profile cases against replicas

4. they don't even have sufficient manufacturing capacity to meet the current demand yet.
    Most stupid post of the year by a country mile.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries

Exactly what I think

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

This.
    Its a watch, saying one wouldn't compromise their integrity by wearing one is a tad bit of an over reaction.
    If he's a good person to his family and friends, helps people where he can and doesn't go out of his way to do wrong, I'd wager his integrity is intact and a fake watch will have zero impact on it.
    Its a piece of overpriced, generally unimportant man jewellery, let's not lose our heads and think his soul is now damned!

There's also no reason to doubt he doesn't have a genuine Daytona at home.

If a fake Daytona when doing manual labor is his bag then bully got him.

If it's not yours then that's cool too.

To me the decision to wear a fake rolex is about as important as the decision of if I want cheese on my sandwich on a particular day or if I should get spearmint or fresh mint gum.
    Last edited by Wilson_smyth; 31st December 2019 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Raises an interesting thought though. Is it okay for my accountant to wear, for example, a Patek, but not my roofer? They both charge me for what they consider to be an honest fee for a day's work; so which one is considered to be ripping me off if they wear a Patek?
    Good point. Could also extend this to (say) heavy smokers or drinkers, as I'm sure the cost of that habit over a year would fund a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    recently a senior colleague of mine showed me an used DeepSea that costed him $50. His comment included heavy, solid and well-made and I said the pin pea at 12:00 just gives it away.

Someone really quite enjoys what he paid for and might not realize how the listeners could feel about him when he actually could be that honest to tell the truth.

Great 'free advertising'....

....NOT!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Can’t fault the logic? Bullshit! No one has ever done this, ever.

It’s a WIS urban myth invented and perpetuated by idiots.

Really?

My ex boss did it. Oh, and he owned a pair of Rolex AD's. He spent (maybe still spends) half his life in Tenerife and while over there he wore his lookie-likies and left the proper ones in our vault. I certainly handled personally his rose gold Day-Date and his Daytona side by side with the real ones.

He's not a myth, he's a real person. And I don't think I'm an idiot. Free to call me a liar, if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Fakes are illegal. End of.
    Obviously some people think the law doesn’t apply to them, including on this forum.
    Indeed, TZers are happy to break certain laws (see scooter thread for example) but will be outraged when watches are involved.

Though, TBF, don't think owning a fake is illegal.

Interesting how it’s mainly Rolex that are faked. And people wearing fake Rolexes, even if they have a real one. Just shows they’re more concerned about how they look rather than being into watches. Another reason why if I see someone wearing a Rolex the last thing I think is that they’re ‘into watches’. Forumites excluded, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Really?

My ex boss did it. Oh, and he owned a pair of Rolex AD's. He spent (maybe still spends) half his life in Tenerife and while over there he wore his lookie-likies and left the proper ones in our vault. I certainly handled personally his rose gold Day-Date and his Daytona side by side with the real ones.

He's not a myth, he's a real person. And I don't think I'm an idiot. Free to call me a liar, if you wish.
    I just don’t get the logic of it though, I take it he wore fake Rolex’s in Tenerife to probably avoid being mugged for his real ones, but you still get mugged - duh! What was his thoughts on why he wore fake watches when he could obviously wear the real thing or a cheaper real watch??

On the integrity note, yes it’s not the worst thing you can do but surely your trying to put across that you can afford to buy and wear something that you can’t, for the people that can afford to buy the real watch but choose to wear a fake is a very strange mind set, you still want to put across a wealthy existence but are not comfortable wearing an expensive watch?? I dunno, I’m confused.com.

Indeed, TZers are happy to break certain laws (see scooter thread for example) but will be outraged when watches are involved.

Though, TBF, don't think owning a fake is illegal.
    I love the outrage that a fake watch or avoidance of customs duty discussion generates. Ridiculous. Owning a fake watch isn’t breaking any law either.

The list of people I wouldn't trust in a watch deal increases!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I

On the integrity note, yes it’s not the worst thing you can do but surely your trying to put across that you can afford to buy and wear something that you can’t, for the people that can afford to buy the real watch but choose to wear a fake is a very strange mind set, you still want to put across a wealthy existence but are not comfortable wearing an expensive watch?? I dunno, I’m confused.com.
    Or he likes the look, feel of the watch, but is unwilling to risk a (now) 25k+ watch during manual labor.