closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Hybrid View

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

I met a chap over Christmas, who was wearing a 'Daytona 116500', whilst doing some tree felling.

I asked him if he wasn't worried about damaging it, and he replied that he was careful, but it wasn't actually the 'real thing' - although he did also have a genuine one at home, that he had owned for a couple of years.

He explained that, when he first started wearing the original, because of the value, there were times when he felt uncomfortable about the risk of scratching or damaging it, or having it stolen. So, he then bought a very good replica, from a friend, which he wears on certain 'higher risk' occasions, with no misgivings. Indeed, it looked pretty good to me, and I wouldn't have known if he hadn't told me. As he said, I never feel bad about it, because it's not a deceit, just a practical solution to protecting my investment.

Can't really fault the logic, but do many people do that?

I would rather wear a G-Shock or cheap diver to keep my integrity, who is he trying to impress anyway wearing a Daytona while landscaping??

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I would rather wear a G-Shock or cheap diver to keep my integrity, who is he trying to impress anyway wearing a Daytona while landscaping??
    Agree...seems pointless...he must still have paid the price of a G-Shock for that thing...I’d have bought a more honest watch.

Can’t fault the logic? Bullshit! No one has ever done this, ever.

It’s a WIS urban myth invented and perpetuated by idiots.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Really?

My ex boss did it. Oh, and he owned a pair of Rolex AD's. He spent (maybe still spends) half his life in Tenerife and while over there he wore his lookie-likies and left the proper ones in our vault. I certainly handled personally his rose gold Day-Date and his Daytona side by side with the real ones.

He's not a myth, he's a real person. And I don't think I'm an idiot. Free to call me a liar, if you wish.

Interesting how it’s mainly Rolex that are faked. And people wearing fake Rolexes, even if they have a real one. Just shows they’re more concerned about how they look rather than being into watches. Another reason why if I see someone wearing a Rolex the last thing I think is that they’re ‘into watches’. Forumites excluded, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Really?

My ex boss did it. Oh, and he owned a pair of Rolex AD's. He spent (maybe still spends) half his life in Tenerife and while over there he wore his lookie-likies and left the proper ones in our vault. I certainly handled personally his rose gold Day-Date and his Daytona side by side with the real ones.

He's not a myth, he's a real person. And I don't think I'm an idiot. Free to call me a liar, if you wish.
    I just don’t get the logic of it though, I take it he wore fake Rolex’s in Tenerife to probably avoid being mugged for his real ones, but you still get mugged - duh! What was his thoughts on why he wore fake watches when he could obviously wear the real thing or a cheaper real watch??

On the integrity note, yes it’s not the worst thing you can do but surely your trying to put across that you can afford to buy and wear something that you can’t, for the people that can afford to buy the real watch but choose to wear a fake is a very strange mind set, you still want to put across a wealthy existence but are not comfortable wearing an expensive watch?? I dunno, I’m confused.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I've known quite a few people over my life that have worn fake rolex.
    Most of them because they wanted the real thing but didn't have the money/ want to pay for a real one.
    These l understand, but find a little sad as they're only kidding themselves - although, out here in the real world there are thousands of people who wear fake gear and own up straight away when asked... some have even shown me their "rollie" in the pub, held their wrist next to mine , said "100 quid - looky looky man" and l have been on the receiving end of several of my mates who don't "get" expensive watches laughing at my ridiculous genuine watch while comparing the fake in a favourable light! Always best just to smile.

One guy l used to know. An old manager of mine. Owned several expensive watches and replicas of a couple of his favourites, bought on holiday to wear on holiday, or in the garden. Mainly on holiday.

So...at least one person HAS done this - theory disproved and sweeping generalisation and insult forgiven...

He was a bloody nice bloke as well. Generous to a fault and scrupulously honest.

I miss the guy.

Master
    Blog Entries

Exactly what I think

I get wearing a cheaper watch sometimes, I don't get the necessity of it looking exactly the same as the more expensive watch.

I love the detail of the "very good replica" being acquired "from a friend". Of course.

Absolutely not. That's what G-Shocks and Seiko are for. If someone told me that I'd think they were lying about having a real one at home.

Craftsman
    No, I’d never do it.

That said, on the subject of good watches worn in unexpected occupations, I noted a DSSD on the roofer that came to quote for some work on my house. I don’t know whether he’d wear the same when on the job at height.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I noted a DSSD on the roofer that came to quote for some work on my house.
    I don’t think that I’d want to be paying his prices. 😬

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I don’t think that I’d want to be paying his prices.
    Maybe he's good at his job?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Maybe he's good at his job?
    I’d feel the same way if he showed up driving a 911.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I don’t think that I’d want to be paying his prices. 
    This happens so much it’s unreal, why couldn’t it be that he’s good at his job, works loads of hours/owns the company and has other lads working for him thus can afford whatever he likes? I’m a lowly electrician yet wore a seadweller everyday for around 15 years regardless of what job I was doing, one too many negative comments similar to the above saw me not wearing it for work anymore.
    Likewise with car choices for work, for nothing more than what comes down to petty jealousy of someone considered by these people to be lower on the social scale, I’ve not won a contract because of the car I was driving (my wife’s ) and off the record been told that the manager said “he’s obviously charging too much don’t give him the work”
    I didn’t buy the watch to show off etc I bought it because of my love for watches and the yearning for one since being a boy, actually a submariner but the seadweller won when I came to the crunch.
    Before I bought my first seadweller I bought a fake submariner to help me decide between that and a seadweller because I wasn’t sold on the cyclops and really wanted a date on my watch, worn only at home and smashed up once my decision was made. Do I condone the buying of a fake ? No I don’t but I did it and that was my reason and I’m glad I did because before that I was leaning towards a sub because that was the watch I’d dreamed of, I know now after owning a real sub later on and selling it I’d never have loved one as much as my SD.
    Please try to accept that just because they don’t wear a suit to work doesn’t mean they don’t work bloody hard and deserve whatever theycan afford to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’ve not won a contract because of the car I was driving (my wife’s ) and off the record been told that the manager said “he’s obviously charging too much don’t give him the work”
    I'm a working man too doing lots of different things over the years, but I get why people have these opinions, its human nature to judge regardless if they are right or wrong, driving or wearing items that are deemed out of your jobs remit tells people you have too much money, they then subconsciously judge that you will charge them too much.

See a guy in Greggs covered in paint and plaster rocking a Submariner you dont think, ahh he's worked his nuts off for his dream watch!

I know because I have been that guy, but instead I wear a G-Shock and leave the Sub at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Please try to accept that just because they don’t wear a suit to work doesn’t mean they don’t work bloody hard and deserve whatever theycan afford to buy.
    I wear a suit to work but I completely agree. I've recently started wearing a Seiko to work as working my way through a couple of nice watches per week can be seen negatively and like you're being paid too much although not the same as losing/not winning a contract.

It's just jealousy and the counting of other people's money which is totally rotten. I love watches, don't drink or smoke and bring lunch to work everyday. It's a pie chart and I choose the slice for watches by not spending on other things.

Surely it's better you spend your money on something nice and lasting rather than buying breakfast, lunch and £3.50 coffees then going down the pub every night after work?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Absolutely not. That's what G-Shocks and Seiko are for. If someone told me that I'd think they were lying about having a real one at home.
    Agree with this. Just say no to fakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recently a senior colleague of mine showed me an used DeepSea that costed him $50. His comment included heavy, solid and well-made and I said the pin pea at 12:00 just gives it away.

Someone really quite enjoys what he paid for and might not realize how the listeners could feel about him when he actually could be that honest to tell the truth.

I start to rethink and understand why Rolex does not show any high profile cases against replicas

1. free advertising and brand building;
    2. free trial out for potential buyer;
    3. genuine and affordable customers will buy or eventually buy the real deal;
    4. they don't even have sufficient manufacturing capacity to meet the current demand yet.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 31st December 2019 at 03:22.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I start to rethink and understand why Rolex does not show any high profile cases against replicas

4. they don't even have sufficient manufacturing capacity to meet the current demand yet.
    Most stupid post of the year by a country mile.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    recently a senior colleague of mine showed me an used DeepSea that costed him $50. His comment included heavy, solid and well-made and I said the pin pea at 12:00 just gives it away.

Someone really quite enjoys what he paid for and might not realize how the listeners could feel about him when he actually could be that honest to tell the truth.

Great 'free advertising'....

....NOT!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Great 'free advertising'....

....NOT!
    Looks like Mikes shopping centre in Pattaya.Bought some "fake" tshirts from there 12 years ago,might even still have a few in my drawer!.

Let’s be clear it’s not a replica it’s a fake!

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Let’s be clear it’s not a replica it’s a fake!

What’s the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s the difference?
    For me this sums it up perfectly

1. Replicas are copies which may have been made by the consent of the original company to reduce its cost or be used in museums in order to protect the original, or in cases when the real item does not exist and still needs to be displayed.

2. A fake is also a copy but mostly sold illegally for profit without the consent of the original company.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    For me this sums it up perfectly

1. Replicas are copies which may have been made by the consent of the original company to reduce its cost or be used in museums in order to protect the original, or in cases when the real item does not exist and still needs to be displayed.

2. A fake is also a copy but mostly sold illegally for profit without the consent of the original company.

I’d add that ‘fake’ is also used here to convey a sense of outrage but really a spurious distinction. Car copies, for example, are almost always ‘replicas’, watches ‘fakes’.

He should have gone the whole hog and bought a fake G-Shock

Master
    What’s the difference?

I think saying "replica" is intended to convey a sense of respectability while saying "fake" is calling a spade a spade.

What’s the difference?
    Replica is a term you only see on sites where people buy and sell fakes.

When you see it used by people as a matter of course on normal watch sites it generally means if you buy something off them to check it over closely.

At least he was honest about wearing a fake.

Personally, I don't care what other people wear, do to their faces, asses or tits. Just be honest about it, haha.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Short answer,no.

Craftsman
    No, most 'watch people' have a beater for this occasion or at least 1 watch you dont mind taking a hit on it

Craftsman
    Simply no, It is deceit. This cover story about the value is farcical, as many have said you'd buy another watch.

Every three months or so one of these threads crops up on TZ and they always go exactly the same way it is like an unpleasant case of Deja Vu.

Anyone considering posting about their "friend's" replica/fake, you will get flamed as they are really not tolerated on here for good reason.

The most perverse thing about wearing one of these fake Rolex, however accurate it may be, is that it is not a Rolex at all, it is a watch thrown together in a Chinese Sweat Shop carrying a stolen trademark. There is nothing impressive about this.
    Last edited by petay993; 31st December 2019 at 14:01.

Craftsman
    "Fake Rolex."

Yes, i have heard it. Friends at work used it to me when i wore my un named chinese watch of a similar style so the term is out there being used. Just because some one has not heard it being used is not really relevant.

As to wearing one. No, i would get a nice homage from Steinhart and save a butt load. So for me it is the homage route, it really is only a watch after all.

I agree with others here, definitely a big no to the fake. Buy a G-Shock or something similar for work and wear the real watch in downtime when it can be enjoyed.

Master
    I know someone that wears a genuine Omega speedmaster daily and keeps a fake daytona (in its fake box) for special occasions. Ponder that!

Master
    Personally, I think everyone can wear what they want. There are still some vestiges of freedom in this country, unless us WIS form our own branch of the fashion police!

To me it just highlights the madness of buying a ludicrously expensive watch that you are then afraid of wearing!

Master
    I wouldn’t do it, I don’t see who or what it satisfies by doing it, is it to remind him that he allegedly has a real one at home, I doubt it or is it to strike a conversation with people that he (wink) has on at home, pointless

Craftsman
    It's a no from me. Wearing a fake watch doesn't appeal to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ye. I don't believe him.

Does he have a number sticker on his car saying his other car is a Porsche?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Total nonsense, buying fakes is plain idiotic. If you have a nice watch but you don't want to wear it for fear of scratching it or losing it, it means you can't afford it, plain simple.
    Utter nonsense, the fact that you might find it difficult to either financially or mentally write off the loss of an expensive item doesn't mean you can't afford it.

Could most afford to have. Their house destroyed and just build / buy a new one? Nope, does that mean they can't afford said house? Nope.

Lots have nice cars they enjoy at weekends, they saved long and hard to be able to enjoy the luxury and deserve it. If they paid the money for it, they can afford it. Not being able to replace it <> unable to afford.

Wearing a 25k watch during manual labor is just stupid anyway, even if 25k is peanuts to you, why be so potentially wasteful?

Tldr : unable to emotionally or financially justify needlessly destroying an expensive item <> unable to afford it

Blog Entries
    The only time I’ve thought of wearing a fake is next time I go to Barcelona - so the thieving scumbags that stole my Sub get to take a fake next time.

in reality I’ll wear my 5146J - they won’t want trashy gold watches
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st December 2019 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Utter nonsense, the fact that you might find it difficult to either financially or mentally write off the loss of an expensive item doesn't mean you can't afford it.

Could most afford to have. Their house destroyed and just build / buy a new one? Nope, does that mean they can't afford said house? Nope.

Lots have nice cars they enjoy at weekends, they saved long and hard to be able to enjoy the luxury and deserve it. If they paid the money for it, they can afford it. Not being able to replace it <> unable to afford.

Wearing a 25k watch during manual labor is just stupid anyway, even if 25k is peanuts to you, why be so potentially wasteful?

Tldr : unable to emotionally or financially justify needlessly destroying an expensive item <> unable to afford it
    So on the above would you advise a fake Daytona to save messing up a real one?

Craftsman
    So on the above would you advise a fake Daytona to save messing up a real one?
    Thats the owners prerogative. Point is, either way, it doesn't mean they can't afford their Daytona.

I have no dog in this fight, but just to say ordinary people do wear fake or replica watches. When I was working several people had them, people used to bring them back from holidays and one guy even used to take orders when he was going away.

Right or wrong, your average Joe does wear them. Just check out FB Marketplace and see how many are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, but just to say ordinary people do wear fake or replica watches. When I was working several people had them, people used to bring them back from holidays and one guy even used to take orders when he was going away.

Right or wrong, your average Joe does wear them. Just check out FB Marketplace and see how many are listed.
    I don’t think anyone disputes that. They wouldn’t be making them if they were not selling them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

And which brand is listed the most...
    ...Sensible post. I don't think anybody reasonable disagrees that the market for fake watches is huge and that, by a large margin, fake rolex have the largest share of this market.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st January 2020 at 11:28. Reason: Double negative alert!

Blog Entries

Nobody is disputing fake watches are for sale and bought by people.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.