closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

Apprentice
    The chap in question is clearly a show off who needs to wear a Rolex on his wrist constantly, when asked if real he replies, “the real ones at home”

Fakes are big problem as now they are so called super clones, you can buy one for £500 knowing it’s fake. Fraudsters put them up for sale as genuine.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

SydR

Would You Wear a 'Replica' Rolex - Like This Guy ?

I’d pick something else from the box for those high risk occasions rather than but money in the hands of a faker.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I can see your point, all the bad things that go on in the world today and people breaking the law by wearing a fake/copy/replica watch. my god what is the world coming to?
    The many millions of pounds/dollars the counterfeiting industry funnels into criminal gangs is precisely the point. It funds all manner of violent, corrupting and inhumane activity and erodes at the safe and proper functioning of society. Wearing a fake watch isn't the problem, buying one is.

Very interesting, fake goods no matter what they are are not victim less, interesting quote at 4.38.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Nearer the truth maybe but unfortunately the vast majority of the public have an understanding of the ‘fake Rolex’ stereotype and have never heard of AP. Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it is the opposite of why I like watches. Thus when I see one I don’t think ‘ah, watch guy’ because it’s far more likely that the watch is owned by someone who wants a Rolex, not a watch. Like I said before I’m obviously not taking about members here who are by virtue of membership here probably not in this camp. But the general public? Not sure. Just the way I see it with my ‘low self esteem’ however the other guy worked that out.
    I think the vast majority of the public couldn't give a tinkers cuss about Rolex, fake or otherwise. Watch fanatics, and those who covet such things are in a minority I think.

However saying "Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it.." points to Rolex ownership being somewhat flawed and less 'honourable' than ownership of other brands. Because owners are obviously 'desperately clamouring' to own one for all the wrong reasons!

Obviously this would only upset Rolex 'fanboys' like me! (although I am a Seiko and Omega fanboy as well at certain times of day! )
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It’s interesting this fake watch thread.
    Those who support the wearing of a fake piece of junk on their wrist just because it has the magic R word on the dial..
    Are they any more ridiculous than those willing to pay 2 or 3 times RRP again just so they can have that seemingly magical Rolex piece..
    it’s all very odd to us old farts who purchased their Rolex probably at a discount on rrp many years ago before all the hype and nonsense started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think the vast majority of the public couldn't give a tinkers cuss about Rolex, fake or otherwise. Watch fanatics, and those who covet such things are in a minority I think.

However saying "Remember I’m not ridiculing anyone with an interest in watches, but the seemingly desperate clamour to own something with ‘Rolex’ on it.." points to Rolex ownership being somewhat flawed and less 'honourable' than ownership of other brands. Because owners are obviously 'desperately clamouring' to own one for all the wrong reasons!

Obviously this would only upset Rolex 'fanboys' like me! (although I am a Seiko and Omega fanboy as well at certain times of day! )
    That’s not what I’m saying - the general public don’t know anything about watches but many will know that Rolex are valuable watches (before people here got into watches we probably thought they were the most expensive watches you can get) which is why other people who want to show off buy them (or fake ones) because they want to look like they can afford a ‘nice watch’ that people will recognise.

Again before you guys come at me with pitchforks we of course know that they are indeed nice watches and understand them on a much deeper level than your average used car salesman. But it puts me off, at least - maybe some others, too - but I bet it means they sell more watches to non WIS than actual watch enthusiasts who end up paying over the odds because of the situation we now find ourselves in because of the unique brand position enjoyed by the brand.

And that’s why fakes exist.

That’s not what I’m saying - the general public don’t know anything about watches but many will know that Rolex are valuable watches (before people here got into watches we probably thought they were the most expensive watches you can get) which is why other people who want to show off buy them (or fake ones) because they want to look like they can afford a ‘nice watch’ that people will recognise.

Again before you guys come at me with pitchforks we of course know that they are indeed nice watches and understand them on a much deeper level than your average used car salesman. But it puts me off, at least - maybe some others, too - but I bet it means they sell more watches to non WIS than actual watch enthusiasts who end up paying over the odds because of the situation we now find ourselves in because of the unique brand position enjoyed by the brand.

And that’s why fakes exist.
    Fake watches have been around long before the current Rolex trends.
    35 years ago you could buy a Tag Heuer fake in Turkey for £5 and back then there wasn’t a Rolex snide in sight.

In my experience, virtually every bloke lve ever spoken to - builders, joiners and engineers, food production workers, auto mechanics, sales staff, bar staff, blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars... you get the picture...has some opinion to express when asked about rolex - more than any other brand.
    Most often "flash gits wear them, or old men, or footballers, or Arfur Daley"... lm not sure if this stems from culture or jealousy, Or that they're "the best watch you can buy" or "A sign youre doing well" etc.

If lm honest and, sure, l only draw off 25 years or so of actually noticing, a lot of opinion is negative.
    I get why.
    I have come to just get on with it, enjoy mine, laugh at the blinkered fanboys and equally the blinkered haters.

Both are exactly as bad as the other! I've been both!

In life most people and things have more than one reputation... and most reputations are deserved in some way.

Edit... Always strange that many a hater will happily wear a fake though... lm.sure a lottery win would lead to multiple purchases of the real thing!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 31st December 2019 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    35 years ago you could buy a Tag Heuer fake in Turkey for £5 and back then there wasn’t a Rolex snide in sight.

Did I say they weren't? Even so, I'm sure fake Rolexes far outweigh other brands, but I'm not saying people don't fake all sorts. But 'Fake Rolex' is a phrase which has become modern parlance by the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post

Fake Rolex existed in the 1970's - commonly from Italy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Fake Rolex existed in the 1970's - commonly from Italy.
    Yes, to fund the mafia.

Real, fake or homage the Instagram fed Only Way is Essex/Made in Chelsea/Geordie Shore look is a DayDate, DateJust or similar on a bracelet, men and women wear these as its a real flash of wealth but also has an understated class about it, the general public want the same so the only way to pull off the look is buy a fake or homage.

Really we're all just a bunch of sheep!
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 31st December 2019 at 20:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    they faked led lenser torches hence the bad reviews on Amazon, they will fake anything.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Real, fake or homage the Instagram fed Only Way is Essex/Made in Chelsea/Geordie Shore look is a DayDate, DateJust or similar on a bracelet, men and women wear these as its a real flash of wealth but also has an understated class about it, the general public want the same so the only way to pull off the look is buy a fake or homage.

Really we're all just a bunch of sheep!
    Ooh Jesus! Im out! You just crossed the line!

Here come the "advertising and marketing don't affect me ...l just buy what l like". Squadron

They're right of course ... if they were born in the deepest amazon and had never seen a tv or a wristwatch they'd still want a rolex, or whatever their chosen brand... in fact they'd dress exactly the same as they do now...obviously! They just KNOW what they want and don't care what anyone thinks!

Edit. Ooh, l never noticed that before... their approach sounds like the drone of ww2 bombers. Cool!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 31st December 2019 at 20:56.

Blog Entries
    Haters gonna hate.

I wouldn't wear a real one, so no...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    In my experience, virtually every bloke lve ever spoken to - builders, joiners and engineers, food production workers, auto mechanics, sales staff, bar staff, blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars... you get the picture...has some opinion to express when asked about rolex - more than any other brand.
    Most often "flash gits wear them, or old men, or footballers, or Arfur Daley"... lm not sure if this stems from culture or jealousy, Or that they're "the best watch you can buy" or "A sign youre doing well" etc.

I
    You apparently have spent your life canvassing people’s opinions on Rolex watches. How convenient.

Did I say they weren't? Even so, I'm sure fake Rolexes far outweigh other brands, but I'm not saying people don't fake all sorts. But 'Fake Rolex' is a phrase which has become modern parlance by the general public.
    And yet I cannot recall hearing anyone in the general public refer to ‘fake Rolex’ outside this and other watch forums. I must lead a sheltered life.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 1st January 2020 at 01:52.

You apparently have spent your life canvassing people’s opinions on Rolex watches. How convenient.

And yet I cannot recall hearing anyone in the general public refer to ‘fake Rolex’ outside this and other watch forums. I must lead a sheltered life. 
    People recognise the name. ‘Used car salesman with a fake Rolex’ will be understood. ‘Fake Tag Heuer’ will be much less widely understood. Don’t know if I can explain it any more clearly!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    So on the above would you advise a fake Daytona to save messing up a real one?
    Thats the owners prerogative. Point is, either way, it doesn't mean they can't afford their Daytona.

Blog Entries
    People recognise the name. ‘Used car salesman with a fake Rolex’ will be understood. ‘Fake Tag Heuer’ will be much less widely understood. Don’t know if I can explain it any more clearly!
    No.
    You said. "But 'Fake Rolex' is a phrase which has become modern parlance by the general public." For that to be true the general public would have to use the phrase. And I've never heard them do it. Anywhere.

If you said "used car salesman with a fake Gucci watch" it would be no less 'understood'.

No.
    You said. "But 'Fake Rolex' is a phrase which has become modern parlance by the general public." For that to be true the general public would have to use the phrase. And I've never heard them do it. Anywhere.

If you said "used car salesman with a fake Gucci watch" it would be no less 'understood'.
    OK well if you’ve never heard anyone say ‘fake Rolex’ then I suppose I must be wrong then, with you being the arbiter of common language and all. I stand corrected. Next time I am describing a ‘used car stereotype’ I’ll say they guy with the fake Moser & Cie’ and see everyone giggle, shall I?

Now read this and feel free to edit the ‘modern infringers’ section as you see fit. Or read it and wind your neck in.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_watch
    Last edited by ped; 1st January 2020 at 08:54.

Blog Entries
    OK well if you’ve never heard anyone say ‘fake Rolex’ then I suppose I must be wrong then, with you being the arbiter of common language and all. I stand corrected. Next time I am describing a ‘used car stereotype’ I’ll say they guy with the fake Moser & Cie’ and see everyone giggle, shall I?

Now read this and feel free to edit the ‘modern infringers’ section as you see fit. Or read it and wind your neck in.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_watch
    It was you who set yourself up as the ‘arbiter of common language and all..’, I simply questioned what you were telling us.
    And perhaps you could quote the part from Wikipedia you’re referring to as I don’t see anything supporting your views except the fact it says there are fake Rolex’s. It also says other makes are faked as well.
    Perhaps you’re the one who should ‘wind your neck in’.

And yet I cannot recall hearing anyone in the general public refer to ‘fake Rolex’ outside this and other watch forums. I must lead a sheltered life.
    Indeed.

Now that reply is just silly...
    Sorry about the delayed reply - it was new years eve last night, so watch forums weren't on my 11pm priority list!

No.

Are you genuinely unaware of the rolex/used car salesman thing?

Anyway, if not, now you are.

Now, lm not saying it's deserved or not deserved, but it's a thing.

It was you who set yourself up as the ‘arbiter of common language and all..’, I simply questioned what you were telling us.
    And perhaps you could quote the part from Wikipedia you’re referring to as I don’t see anything supporting your views except the fact it says there are fake Rolex’s. It also says other makes are faked as well.
    Perhaps you’re the one who should ‘wind your neck in’.
    Ok...very early on in the Wikipedia entry. Almost at the start... where it says that rolex are most commonly counterfeited due to the brand profile... or words very clearly to that effect.
    That bit.
    It's just a fact of life... l wouldn't be taking it as something to get worked up about... quite the opposite. It attests to the brands desirability that it is the most faked by a fair margin, though ld never buy, sell or wear a counterfeit product myself, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st January 2020 at 09:56.

Blog Entries
    Now that reply is just silly...
    Sorry about the delayed reply - it was new years eve last night, so watch forums weren't on my 11pm priority list!
    Hardly, given you said..."In my experience, virtually every bloke lve ever spoken to - builders, joiners and engineers, food production workers, auto mechanics, sales staff, bar staff, blokes on trains and aircraft, in bars... you get the picture...has some opinion to express when asked about rolex"

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...very early on in the Wikipedia entry. Almost at the start... where it says that rolex are most commonly counterfeited due to the brand profile... or words very clearly to that effect.
    That bit.
    It's just a fact of life... l wouldn't taking it as something to get works up about... quite the opposite. It attests to the brands desirability that it is the most faked by a fair margin.
    Which words to that effect?

Blog Entries
    Maybe time to continue this ‘conversation; to the BP - its moved into personal attack sometime ago? See you there..

The race to the bottom - what a great way to start the year.

Jesus..the blue crayons out.... and the forum constabulary!

You read words very well, but not meaning...

This exchange will go nowhere. In the impossible event God arrived and told you you were wrong you'd tell him he was wrong and quote him in blue crayola.
    Off for brekkie now!
    Life beckons!
    I certainly won't be off to the bear pit! Haha! That would just be stirring.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st January 2020 at 10:07.

I think he’s a tree surgeon

Master
    Oh come on! A surprisingly large chunk of the general population has bought a ludicrously cheap fake Rolex when on holiday at one time or other (for a laugh), people having fake Rolexs is frequently mentioned in the written media and in TV comedies etc. As people say these days, 'Its a thing'!!!

Blog Entries
    Jesus..the blue crayons out.... and the forum constabulary!

You read words very well, but not meaning...

This exchange will go nowhere. In the impossible event God arrived and told you you were wrong you'd tell him he was wrong and quote him in blue crayola.
    Off for brekkie now!
    Life beckons!
    I certainly won't be off to the bear pit! Haha! That would just be stirring.
    I think he’s a tree surgeon
    Hardly called for because someone disagrees with you and your rather sweeping comments.
    Kind of be like ‘oh you don’t agree with me so you just don’t understand’. Special.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Oh come on! A surprisingly large chunk of the general population has bought a ludicrously cheap fake Rolex when on holiday at one time or other (for a laugh), people having fake Rolexs is frequently mentioned in the written media and in TV comedies etc. As people say these days, 'Its a thing'!!!
    Which written media and TV comedies are you actually referring to?

Craftsman
    "Fake Rolex."

Yes, i have heard it. Friends at work used it to me when i wore my un named chinese watch of a similar style so the term is out there being used. Just because some one has not heard it being used is not really relevant.

As to wearing one. No, i would get a nice homage from Steinhart and save a butt load. So for me it is the homage route, it really is only a watch after all.

Hardly called for because someone disagrees with you and your rather sweeping comments.
    Kind of be like ‘oh you don’t agree with me so you just don’t understand’. Special.
    Sweeping comments like the fact the phrase doesn’t exist because you’ve not heard it? It’s not my fault you had to argue yourself into a corner. Not everyone agrees with you because you’re flat wrong, as I tried to point out several posts ago. My tree surgeon comment was a joke so you can add ‘no sense of humour’ to your CV too. Have a great 2020!

If it was a joke you might consider going to humour classes an urgent new year resolution.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If it was a joke you might consider going to humour classes an urgent new year resolution.
    I’ll get right on it, any suggestions? Somewhere you haven’t tried?

Have to agree. A lamentable comment. Probably didn’t come off as intended.

Blog Entries
    Sweeping comments like the fact the phrase doesn’t exist because you’ve not heard it? It’s not my fault you had to argue yourself into a corner. Not everyone agrees with you because you’re flat wrong, as I tried to point out several posts ago. My tree surgeon comment was a joke so you can add ‘no sense of humour’ to your CV too. Have a great 2020!
    I do have a sense of humour actually. When people are joking.

Glad to hear it. It’s difficult to tell when we’re reading comments written down rather than spoken face to face.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it. It’s difficult to tell when we’re reading comments written down rather than spoken face to face.
    Oh I think it’s usually pretty clear.

Oh I think it’s usually pretty clear.
    Haha! Priceless!

I have no dog in this fight, but just to say ordinary people do wear fake or replica watches. When I was working several people had them, people used to bring them back from holidays and one guy even used to take orders when he was going away.

Right or wrong, your average Joe does wear them. Just check out FB Marketplace and see how many are listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have no dog in this fight, but just to say ordinary people do wear fake or replica watches. When I was working several people had them, people used to bring them back from holidays and one guy even used to take orders when he was going away.

Right or wrong, your average Joe does wear them. Just check out FB Marketplace and see how many are listed.
    I don’t think anyone disputes that. They wouldn’t be making them if they were not selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

And which brand is listed the most...
    ...Sensible post. I don't think anybody reasonable disagrees that the market for fake watches is huge and that, by a large margin, fake rolex have the largest share of this market.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st January 2020 at 11:28. Reason: Double negative alert!

I don’t think anyone disputes that. They wouldn’t be making them if they were not selling them.
    Exactly... They're a "thing".
    Just how it is unfortunately - common knowledge.

I don’t think you meant what you wrote... (double negative)
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 1st January 2020 at 11:29. Reason: Post was amended

I don’t think you meant what you wrote... (double negative)
    Ha. Yes...quite... I'll amend that!

The disagreement has moved to whether ‘fake Rolex’ was common parlance. I am not sure it is to be fair, but I can believe some people use it. The rest is opinion, and we all have one, too, so probably best to agree to disagree.