closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nomos brand what are they like?

Bit negative here...I have a Nomos 38 tangente and hardly wear it. The strap is rubbish and had to be replaced by the supplying jeweller after Nomos didn't reply to my polite enquiry. I really can't work out why they are so expensive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Bit negative here...I have a Nomos 38 tangente and hardly wear it. The strap is rubbish and had to be replaced by the supplying jeweller after Nomos didn't reply to my polite enquiry. I really can't work out why they are so expensive.
    Agree.

I have an Ahoi Atlantik....the strap for it is 30 quid new from the site.

The watch is 3.5k.

Really could do with some higher quality options

Master
    Why would Nomos supply you with a strap? The dealer was your first port of call and they sorted you. There’s nowt as strange as folk.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nomos brand what are they like?

The strap is rubbish and had to be replaced by the supplying jeweller after Nomos didn't reply to my polite enquiry. I really can't work out why they are so expensive.
    Do you normally judge the worth of a watch based on it’s strap alone? I’ve read nothing but praise for the quality and craftsmanship of the watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Do you normally judge the worth of a watch based on it’s strap alone? I’ve read nothing but praise for the quality and craftsmanship of the watches.

Their straps can be had at about 60% less than what they are charging on eBay.

I have also experienced Nomos indifferent customer service and that’s buying direct from Nomos.

Not everything is all pink fluffy bunnys.

I agree that the strap is nothing special, but they’re easily changeable. The watches themselves though are simply ace. Mine is on heavy rotation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Their straps can be had at about 60% less than what they are charging on eBay.

I have also experienced Nomos indifferent customer service and that’s buying direct from Nomos.

Not everything is all pink fluffy bunnys.
    You mean that unbranded straps apparently made to their specification by Fluco can be bought cheaper directly on eBay? Sure, that’s widely known to most Nomos owners.

Are NOMOS supposed to sell them to us at cost?

It’s a pity that you didn’t receive the levels of service that you expected from them. It’s difficult for any business to please all of the people all of the time. Anecdotally, they seem to do a pretty good job with most of us.

I had a Nomos Orion 38 a few years ago, lovely watch, very slim, well made and gorgeous but I prefer sports watches so it didn't stay with me long.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Why would Nomos supply you with a strap? The dealer was your first port of call and they sorted you. There’s nowt as strange as folk.

No, the jeweller generously supplied a strap as goodwill because like any watch it isn't covered by warranty. It failed after being worn 3 times. Nomos never bothered to reply to my enquiry and refused to supply a new strap to the dealer when asked by them.

Master
    Actually you’re covered under the Sale of Goods Act as the dealer well knew.

Well, a £2100 watch ought to have at least a strap better than something I can get for a tenner in the market. And the customer service is non-existent. If a manufacturer is prepared to blatantly skimp on the things you can see, what's their attitude to the things you can't?

Well, a £2100 watch ought to have at least a strap better than something I can get for a tenner in the market. And the customer service is non-existent. If a manufacturer is prepared to blatantly skimp on the things you can see, what's their attitude to the things you can't?
    My club cordovan strap was great. I can’t comment on the customer service as i didn’t go through them directly. Regarding the quality of the actual watch, your comments are assumption based on your experience of a strap, which makes no sense. Nomos have an outstanding reputation for quality at their price point.

Journeyman
    It's a shame that you had that bad experience with them. I found them very helpful when I asked if they would put a solid case-back with engraving on a model that is only sold with a display-back. They made a special order for me within a few days. Granted, it's not one-off a la Patek but it was a nice touch with humans at the other end of the communication helping out a potential customer.

I've found the shell cordovan straps very good. Thick, obviously hand-stitched and heavily smells of leather.

If people want to go down that road... that was repelled in 2015 - it's the Consumer Rights Act (2015).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If people want to go down that road... that was repelled in 2015 - it's the Consumer Rights Act (2015).
    Thanks for the clarification!

As do I having worked in retail for some 30 years, but the fact remains remains that Nomos manufactured the watch, and the strap is of poor manufacture. And Nomos never bothered to reply when I queried the issue (despite inviting feedback from customers on their website). The jeweller cheerfully replaced and fitted the strap without anyone even mentioning SoG.

My club cordovan strap was great. I can’t comment on the customer service as i didn’t go through them directly. Regarding the quality of the actual watch, your comments are assumption based on your experience of a strap, which makes no sense. Nomos have an outstanding reputation for quality at their price point.

Leaving the strap issue to one side, that price point, £2100, is actually quite high and I just don't think that my Tangente is worth the price. It was the first watch I bought for anything like that money and after wearing it for a couple of days it just felt cheap and flimsy. You can't get 24 hours out of it without winding, so you have to wind it twice a day or else go through the faff of setting the date with the "quick set" feature when at that price you would expect to be able to adjust the date using the crown. Quirky? No, just a pain!

I just don't like the watch, and I think the OP can do better for his budget. I'm sure he has a mind of his own and will make his own decision.

Journeyman
    Leaving the strap issue to one side, that price point, £2100, is actually quite high and I just don't think that my Tangente is worth the price. It was the first watch I bought for anything like that money and after wearing it for a couple of days it just felt cheap and flimsy. You can't get 24 hours out of it without winding, so you have to wind it twice a day or else go through the faff of setting the date with the "quick set" feature when at that price you would expect to be able to adjust the date using the crown. Quirky? No, just a pain!

I just don't like the watch, and I think the OP can do better for his budget. I'm sure he has a mind of his own and will make his own decision.
    Not getting 24 hours out of a full wind? That is definitely not to spec and that's a faulty watch.

Agreed the date change is a hassle for a modern watch, especially if it is not a daily watch, but I suspect that is down to being economical with space and height for the movement.

Has anyone here tried out/bought one of the new Nomos Tangente Sport Neomatik 42mm?

Really liking the black sunburst dial and various colours on the right:

Nomos brand what are they like?

Before I get called a watch snob again - I am sat here with a £200 spinnaker Hull on my wrist with a California dial that I love - they are not a brand I am aesthetically drawn too or I feel I could spend money on.

They feel like a millennial fashion/trendy brand with no substance. I may be wrong but I could just not feel comfortable spending hard early money on them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Before I get called a watch snob again - I am sat here with a £200 spinnaker Hull on my wrist with a California dial that I love - they are not a brand I am aesthetically drawn too or I feel I could spend money on.

They feel like a millennial fashion/trendy brand with no substance. I may be wrong but I could just not feel comfortable spending hard early money on them.
    This is the second time recently I've seen a brand referred to as a fashion brand on here, which surprised me a bit. To me, a fashion brand is a generic design tued to a cheap chinese quartz movement, with a logo slapped on the front and sold at a premium.

NOMOS have serious watchmaking credentials with in house, nicely decorated movements and award winning design. Definitely not a fashion brand whether you personally like them or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    This is the second time recently I've seen a brand referred to as a fashion brand on here, which surprised me a bit. To me, a fashion brand is a generic design tued to a cheap chinese quartz movement, with a logo slapped on the front and sold at a premium.

NOMOS have serious watchmaking credentials with in house, nicely decorated movements and award winning design. Definitely not a fashion brand whether you personally like them or not.
    Uh huh. One more for the Ignore List [not you, Lusty!].
    Last edited by lughugger; 4th May 2020 at 17:00.

This^^

I’d love know another brand at just shy of 1100 rrp that offers a reliable in-house movement.

Nothing whatsoever ‘fashion’ about them.

Was referring to this post.

This^^

I’d love know another brand at just shy of 1100 rrp that offers a reliable in-house movement.

Nothing whatsoever ‘fashion’ about them.

Indeed. Their watches are designed by the award winning Mark Braun too. The Metro is a great example of his design chops.

Journeyman
    I have had the Tangente Gangreserve for a number of years now, absolutely love it. The blued hands, the snailing on the sub-seconds, the lovely way the power reserve works, the perfect length of the minute hand especially, and winding it up in the morning seeing the power reserve move.

I have the no date version, it's so nice to be able to pick it up and not worry about the date.

Personally for me, the strap is comfortable and feels luxurious (I don't have much experience with any high end stuff to compare though!), I didn't have to break it in like a few other straps on other watches, it was comfortable from the off. I've had the watch for a number of years on the strap and other than light wear and tear it's holding up fine (although I rarely wear it more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time in rotation and usually for the office).

It's very discreet and the black strap means it works very well as a dressy option.

That's all the good stuff out the way, for me the negatives are that despite having very skinny wrists the lugs can still make it look a little larger than I'd like (I prefer a smaller look though so that may just be me). I do like the lugs but if I was designing the watch for me they would not have the wire lugs....on a normal sized wrist I'm sure the watch and lugs would look very elegant however. But do be sure you'll like the lugs of whichever model you're looking at to be totally sure it's something you can live with.

The price is definitely a talking point; I've not ever come across one but I'd love to have a Stowa on the wrist for a while to see whether the premium is worth it. But there is an arguement to be had whether it's a little dear...although the in house caliber does need taking into account I guess.

I've had nothing to do with Nomos or Wempe since the purchase so cannot speak for their customer service.

Basically, I love my Tangente Gangreserve! Of the two on your shortlist I would prefer the Tangente model, the date complication is pretty cool. Good luck with your search (if it's still on-going!).

Quote Originally Posted by 765 RS View Post
    I have had the Tangente Gangreserve for a number of years now, absolutely love it. The blued hands, the snailing on the sub-seconds, the lovely way the power reserve works, the perfect length of the minute hand especially, and winding it up in the morning seeing the power reserve move.

I have the no date version, it's so nice to be able to pick it up and not worry about the date.

Personally for me, the strap is comfortable and feels luxurious (I don't have much experience with any high end stuff to compare though!), I didn't have to break it in like a few other straps on other watches, it was comfortable from the off. I've had the watch for a number of years on the strap and other than light wear and tear it's holding up fine (although I rarely wear it more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time in rotation and usually for the office).

It's very discreet and the black strap means it works very well as a dressy option.

That's all the good stuff out the way, for me the negatives are that despite having very skinny wrists the lugs can still make it look a little larger than I'd like (I prefer a smaller look though so that may just be me). I do like the lugs but if I was designing the watch for me they would not have the wire lugs....on a normal sized wrist I'm sure the watch and lugs would look very elegant however. But do be sure you'll like the lugs of whichever model you're looking at to be totally sure it's something you can live with.

The price is definitely a talking point; I've not ever come across one but I'd love to have a Stowa on the wrist for a while to see whether the premium is worth it. But there is an arguement to be had whether it's a little dear...although the in house caliber does need taking into account I guess.

I've had nothing to do with Nomos or Wempe since the purchase so cannot speak for their customer service.

Basically, I love my Tangente Gangreserve! Of the two on your shortlist I would prefer the Tangente model, the date complication is pretty cool. Good luck with your search (if it's still on-going!).
    Lovely to hear your thoughts on yours - thank you for taking the time to write it up

Journeyman
    I certainly don't think they're a fashion brand, and admire what they're doing, but, despite hearing again and again how great they are, they just don't do it for me. If I wore a suit regularly then maybe the Orion could be worth a go.

Although, given how my tastes change, I'll probably be buying one in a few months.

Craftsman
    I love my Orion Datum including the strap!
    Had it 7 years and it's only now that the strap needs to be changed for a new one.
    It is a genuinely beautiful little thing that I often find myself staring at.
    Imo well worth the money and I would love to have one of the new ones with the DUW 3001.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post

The oldest millennials are about to hit middle-age and quite a few members here will be millennials - so I'm never quite sure what this point actually is?

I have an Orion Datum too, with the blue hands and gold markers. It really is a beautiful watch, maybe a hair too long in the lugs for my small wrists but I'll happily put up with it.
    The date setting is a bit of a pain - rocking the hands between 10 to and 5 past, especially if you've got the majority of a month to go. Don't get me wrong, its better than the old fashioned manuals just not as good as the quick set functions I'm used to.

Craftsman
    For those who have said that Nomos is a fashion brand or not worth the money etc here is a post I wrote some time ago on another forum, maybe it will change your opinion.

Nomos have unveiled their new ultra thin movement, the DUW 3001.*There's a great read on the movement here -*http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/uplo...AZ_0315_EN.pdf

So this is 'strike 2' from Nomos.*Strike 1 was the Swing System which to be honest was perceived as being impossible for a company like Nomos.*It was the talk of Basel World 2014 and for all the right reasons.*Stereotypical excuses for reliance on ETA/Sellita and others were blown out of the water.

Well in my opinion this goes even further to blow those misconceptions out of the water. It's a fantastic movement with all of the working parts fitting within the 1mm gap between the plates. There's a braking system whereby the mainspring puts pressure on the mechanism to prevent the rotor from swinging when the mainspring is fully wound. Plus its achieving COSC accuracy right out of the box. We all know the great Manufactures in horology and they all feature like a who's who in the list of full rotor ultra thin movements; JLC 920 With Date 3.4mm JLC Cal 899 3.3mm Zenith Elite Cal 680 3.28mm Girrard Perregaux 3300 3.28mm Nomos DUW 3001 3.2mm JLC 920 Seconds 3.05mm Lemania 8810 2.95mm JLC 920 No Seconds 2.4mm Frederic Piguet Cal 71 No Seconds 2.4mm I'm sure there are others so please add or edit the list. We can see that JLC, what I consider to be the greatest movement maker of them all, only has one equivalent movement thinner than the Nomos. And by 0.15mm. From RDenney's brilliant thread - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/thin...te-971521.html
    We can see that the Lemania is in fact the thinnest full rotor caliber with seconds and a date. Using Nomos's patented date mechanism where the date wheel rotates around the outside of the mechanism.

I'm sure this could become the second thinnest full rotor movement in the world with seconds and date.*And with the current Swatch Group's stance on supplying movements, the DUW 3001 if fitted with the date mechanism would become the thinnest full rotor movement with date and seconds that would be available for use by other companies.*With tooling in place to produce 100,000+ of these movements this could provide a significant percentage of Nomos's business.*When we consider that the Tangente Automatic will be available for E2600 it proves that the movement is not going to cost the earth for other manufacturers to purchase.*Nomos have put themselves in quite an incredible position and I must say that's 2.5 million very well spent.*This'll boost their income significantly and result in further R&D where we have seen that they are not afraid to go.*Remarkable from what is considered to be a small German Manufacture, they're certainly making giant strides in an industry where companies tend to stay in their brackets.*Personally I would love to have a different brand with a Nomos movement as opposed to an ETA.*Especially with all the tech in this one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    I love my Orion Datum including the strap!
    Had it 7 years and it's only now that the strap needs to be changed for a new one.
    It is a genuinely beautiful little thing that I often find myself staring at.
    Imo well worth the money and I would love to have one of the new ones with the DUW 3001.

Exactly the one I have. Honestly didn't like it at all from the pictures but love it in the flesh.

I will agree with some who say the strap isn't perfect, mine is about 3 years old and is a little worn at one end.

And the lug to lug length on a lot of them is pretty big, although on this model they're a bit smaller and curved so it's not as much.

Not sure I'll keep it forever, but I love it for now.

A real watch made in house. I've always liked them. I really must buy one just for the sake of having it. Probably won't wear it too much but lovely things.
    Straps - straps are "consumable" items for me. I've always got a few hanging about so I can ring the changes.

Craftsman
    Since originally posting the above post, Nomos have released the DUW 6101 with quick set date function.
    At 3.6mm thick it is still right up there with the big boys at possibly half the price.
    Definitely worth the money.

I understand that they wear quite big as the watch is almost all dial and the lugs are quite big.
    Having relatively small wrists I have decided on the 38mm variants rather than the 41mm.
    I have decided against the date version as I like the clean simple lines
    Now just can't make my mind up between the Orion or the Tangente

I bought one 18 months ago as I was living in Berlin and it just seemed to fit nicely to the vibe. I later learned that they are designed in Berlin

Fast forward to today and the Nomos has gone. Its a lovely watch but far too delicate for my tastes. The movement is nice and reliable, keeping good time.

The watch felt very well built but it just didn't suit me and I never looked at it and felt proud of my choice (esp when I had numerous other watches to rotate through). In the end my girlfriend wore it more than me until she got an apple watch!

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Fashion brand? Lol, hardly. More chance of that being Rolex than Nomos.

They used to be the best and cheapest way to get into proper horology 7-10 years ago. Good solid movement, great design, size and of course price! Their prices have crept up, though this isn't a criticism just for Nomos and there is still value in their watches as they continue to innovate. Just a shame they never really suited my wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I understand that they wear quite big as the watch is almost all dial and the lugs are quite big.
    Having relatively small wrists I have decided on the 38mm variants rather than the 41mm.
    I have decided against the date version as I like the clean simple lines
    Now just can't make my mind up between the Orion or the Tangente
    I think the Orion is a bit more versatile and the Tangente stands out a bit more. So it depends on whether you have a big collection already and you want something a bit different, or if you want something you can get away with as a daily.

I'd also recommend seeing them in person before making a commitment. They really look different in the metal for me. You might also find that you can get away with one of the smaller models depending on your wrist size. 35mm might sound tiny but I think it would look about right for a lot of people. I have a 38 on a 7" wrist and it looks like a big watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they're a good quality brand, and have a bauhaus type austerity to the design which is very attractive, but thats also their downfall, as it can become dull quickly unlike the furniture.

I keep hovering over the ‘buy’ box in the metro datum. Tbh I’ll probably just go for it at some point otherwise I’ll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Has anyone here tried out/bought one of the new Nomos Tangente Sport Neomatik 42mm?

I love the black one too.. Nearly £4k though and I'm not 100% convinced by the bracelet. It doesn't look as if its desgined for the watch, it being brushed, but not a single brushed element on the watch head. Still... I'm on the lookout for them to start coming on to the used market.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    I love the black one too.. Nearly £4k though and I'm not 100% convinced by the bracelet. It doesn't look as if its desgined for the watch, it being brushed, but not a single brushed element on the watch head. Still... I'm on the lookout for them to start coming on to the used market.

Gary
    I hadn't thought of the brushed/polished contrast and you're quite right. I'd actually prefer the watch head was brushed too, as I'd definitely not be keen on the bracelet being polished.

There's one being advertised on Chronext for closer to 3k, but I know very little of how they operate and whether they actually have it in stock, but it is there, if you're interested.

I need to try one on. At 42mm it's on the big side for me, and then combine that with it being mostly dial so it'll wear even larger, plus the long lugs. A try before I buy one for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I keep hovering over the ‘buy’ box in the metro datum. Tbh I’ll probably just go for it at some point otherwise I’ll never know.
    If you are referring to the 37mm Metro gangreserve (the first one that was released in 2014) then you are not alone. Every day is a battle.

I've got a Nomos Club Campus with the Hand-wound Alpha movement (there first in-house movement I believe) and I love it. Many people moan about the gaps at the lugs but it's never bothered me at all. It's a great little watch and very reliable.

Master
    There's a good Nomos enthusiast/shop/resource site for anyone researching the brand:

https://www.minimatikal.com/

Regarding sizing, until very recently my daily office watch was an Orion 306 which at 35mm wore perfectly on my 18cm wrist under a cuff. The watch got occasional casual outings too on a suede strap and didn't look out of place. If you have 'small' wrists, the 38mm may not end up feeling like the right size due to the already mentioned all-dial nature of Nomos.

The Orion's been replaced by a LE Tangente Sport 501.S6.

I think the Orion is a bit more versatile and the Tangente stands out a bit more. So it depends on whether you have a big collection already and you want something a bit different, or if you want something you can get away with as a daily.

I'd also recommend seeing them in person before making a commitment. They really look different in the metal for me. You might also find that you can get away with one of the smaller models depending on your wrist size. 35mm might sound tiny but I think it would look about right for a lot of people. I have a 38 on a 7" wrist and it looks like a big watch.
    Thanks for the post.
    I also have 7" wrist so that is very helpful.
    It wouldn't be a daily wearer but for 'smart' wear.
    I have a Junghens max bill on a Milanese strap which I use as a dress watch.
    My daily wearer is a Tissot powermatic 80 which is 40mm overall.

I have seen some big discounts from UK jewelers appear equaling C24 prices
    Last edited by Kevin; 5th May 2020 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Hi hughtrimble

I've had the black Tangente Sport since November, what would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    If you are referring to the 37mm Metro gangreserve (the first one that was released in 2014) then you are not alone. Every day is a battle.
    That's the one! I'm just not sure about the OEM strap. A jewellers in York have them so will have to try one on rather than do what I normally do and buy and try, though I feel it would be a safe purchase if I buy used and sell on. God, here I go again..