closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nomos brand what are they like?

Apprentice

Nomos brand what are they like?

Also been looking at the larger ones of this brand. Anyone out there had one?

Master
    Blog Entries
    High quality.

Have an Ahoi Atlantik.

Have a Nomos Club. Absolutely love it, even though it’s not had any wrist time since i got the bb 58 a couple months back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I looked for years and then bought a Tangente 3 weeks ago. I love it, certainly dressier than I normally go for, I got 25% off it to so in my opinion it was a bargain. Definitely a keeper. I would certainly have a look as they seem to be more accessible on the high street than they were a few years ago. Seeing one on the flesh made my decision easier.

They’re superb.

I have a Club Atlantic Date, and recently bought a Tangente Sport Marine Black. Incredible build quality and if you like their aesthetic a sure fire winner for a highly individual purchase.

A Zombie brand name that went after Muhle (One of the last family run businesses) and then tried to go after Stowa. Bought a strap off them once and it came with the fixed spring bars the wrong fit for the strap, cost me in postage to send it back. Went on ebay and bought the same strap for about £15. Nice looking watches but I wouldnt want one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Have a Nomos Club. Absolutely love it, even though it’s not had any wrist time since i got the bb 58 a couple months back!

I think I would have a hard time taking the BB58 off the wrist also.

Craftsman

Great company to deal with and very nice watches if of a particular style - Bauhaus you’ll either like or not. The gap between lugs and straps on some might annoy some also.
    Can be very accurate for something that started as a modified Peseux (alphas). Have still got a tangente and traded a manual Orion up for a neomatik Orion. The alphas are good, but the new autos are a cracking bit of engineering... my current pair thus:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a Worldtimer for a while. I was a very well finished watch and one of the few that fitted my wrist (a lot of the models have very long lugs).

Oh that Worldtimer is very nice...

Apprentice

Now 2 choices, this one as I love the date marker design.

Last edited by LRS-AC; 30th December 2019 at 21:13.

Apprentice

Or this one but maybe too much lume at night.

Last edited by LRS-AC; 30th December 2019 at 21:17.

Master
    Superb watches. I’ve had a Club previously and currently have an Orion and Tangente Sport in the collection. Timekeeping is superb, they look like proper watches. Timeless, classy. They quietly get on with manufacturing quality watches. Hands down my favourite brand.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Nomos is the oldest “post reunification” company in Glashütte — IIRC predating The revivified Lange by a couple of months in 1990. Most of them used old established names which had since disappeared.
    Quality is good, but falls a little short of Lange, Grossmann and Glashütte Original for their “normal” ranges. For that, they are also much cheaper.
    As has been said, Bauhaus inspired. And they pretty much all feature lugs which leave a good gap between head and strap.
    I love my Zürich. Buy with confidence. VFM is good.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Yokel; 30th December 2019 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Nomos is the oldest “post reunification” company in Glashütte — IIRC predating The revivified Lange by a couple of months in 1990. Most of them used old established names which had since disappeared.
    Quality is good, but falls a little short of Lange, Grossmann and Glashütte Original for their “normal” ranges. For that, they are also much cheaper.
    As has been said, Bauhaus inspired. And they pretty much all feature lugs which leave a good gap between head and strap.
    I love my Zürich. Buy with confidence. VFM is good.

https://i.imgur.com/keS3zpn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UhfB5CM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XtIMPwo.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautis...siness_history

It was the original Lange that sued the original Nomos.

Craftsman
    I think Nomos are great ! I’ve had the Orion & Club in 38mm, currently own the Metro power reserve which is a brilliant watch a perfect smart casual work watch for me.

Shiny

Apprentice
    Thanks decision made. Now just need to find a stockiest with a few in stock.

When I first started learning about watches someone advised me to buy a Nomos.

Instead I tried Omega, Rolex, Sinn, JLC, Muhle Glasshute, Bremont, Vulcain, Tudor, Longines and Heuer (to name but a few).

Now I (finally) have a Nomos and I wear it practically every day.

It's this one: Tangente Sport

^^^^so glad I got an opportunity to see that one for myself. I've been having far too many Nomossy thoughts ever since.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Oh that Worldtimer is very nice...
    I was thinking the same. If only the lugs were a mite shorter...

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I was thinking the same. If only the lugs were a mite shorter...
    A perlon strap would disguise that nicely.

Craftsman
    Looking for a nice simple hand wound dress watch and I'm sorely tempted by the Orion 381:

It's either that or the Junghans Meister hand wound but I think the Nomos is a step up for not much more.

Journeyman
    I have not got one, but intend to I love them, simple and classy, The nearest dealer for me is Stewarts in Leicester, I got a Bauhaus Max Bill Chronoscope from them, pleased with the service from them.

Scottie

If the Orion had applied indices, as the Zurich has, I would have got one 5 years ago. As it was, I felt the stamped indices were a bit indistinct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If the Orion had applied indices, as the Zurich has, I would have got one 5 years ago. As it was, I felt the stamped indices were a bit indistinct.
    The Zurich dial is certainly a step up in quality from the Orion. Though I’ve worn a manual wind Orion as my daily work watch and had no issues with legibility.
    I hear what you’re saying if you compare the two automatics but think I’d still probably plump for the DUW movement over the Epsilon in the end if push came to shove. Bit of a moot point since both are too large for me!

Sorry, by "indistinct", I wasn't doubting their readability, it's just that I felt the very simple design was in need of the crispness that applied indices bring. Obviously that's just a personal opinion, easily contradicted. But I had spent a while looking forward to perhaps buying it, and found myself disappointed when face to face with it. For me, 35mm is a great size for such all-dial designs, so in all other respects I was still very keen on it.

I really, really like their relatively recent releases, especially this one:

https://www.timeandwatches.com/2019/...-club.html?m=1

The bracelets associated with these also looks superb.

Rather like the silvercut dials on some models
    Unique as far as I know

Very boring watch design reminds me of sort of kitchen clocks.. I love Bauhaus architecture though...

I really like Nomos and I think they are relatively very good value. I had an alpha powered Club 701 for a while. Time keeping was excellent (well within Cosc) but I found the design a little boring after a while (the thick plain bezel specifically) so I let it go. I have a daily battle resisting the Orion 309 and I imagine this will be my next purchase. I tried a 35mm Ludwig recently and I was very impressed with it (the case is very slim). The all dial design and long lugs make them wear very big though so I'd advise trying the 35mm before you go for the larger versions.

Craftsman

I think Watches of Switzerland Regent St. have them downstairs if you’re ever in London.

Craftsman
    Definitely an under appreciated brand for the price. I have never tried one on when I got my club 38mm.

My only critique is the Lumerals aren’t super bright, but then I’ve not worn it on a day with good sunshine!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The all dial design and long lugs make them wear very big though so I'd advise trying the 35mm before you go for the larger versions.
    Excellent advice which I wholeheartedly endorse. 35mm Orion Weiss is plenty for my 18cm wrist.

Last edited by lughugger; 31st December 2019 at 19:10.

For hipsters and intellectuals only.
    Of course this is nonsense, but I have never worn my Tangente out of the house because it feels so alien to me.
    I keep it because one day I might come to feel differently about it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    One of the great things about the standard Orion (&Weiss/Rose/etc) is how the applied indices reflect in natural light, did you have/see an LE version with stamped indices?

Craftsman
    I ordered an Orion, I am just waiting delivery. Tried a few Nomos on in Germany , I was very impressed with the quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    One of the great things about the standard Orion (&Weiss/Rose/etc) is how the applied indices reflect in natural light, did you have/see an LE version with stamped indices?
    Yeah I was wondering this too. Here's a pic of the Orion I had a few years ago:

Apprentice
    Thanks for all the reply’s looks like I’m off to London in the next couple of weeks then.

There is a lovey pre-loved Nomos Tangomat on SC at the moment!

It might have been posted by me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRS-AC View Post
    Thanks for all the reply’s looks like I’m off to London in the next couple of weeks then.

Excellent. Keep us posted!

Master
    As several have commented in passing an excellent company to deal with, very good communications and postage etc.

Craftsman

Wempe and John Lewis Oxford St worth a look also...

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/retailer-locator

Apprentice

Well popped into WOS by Harrods yesterday and although the one I wanted was not in stock I have to admit they are even better than I thought they would be. So off to another retailer soon!

Well popped into WOS by Harrods yesterday and although the one I wanted was not in stock I have to admit they are even better than I thought they would be. So off to another retailer soon!

Glad you liked them. Top watches for the price. Really want the blue club auto too. Will pick one up at some point.

Craftsman

They look much nicer in person I think. It's a bugger to find somewhere that stocks them though! Went to three of the shops that were listed on the Nomos website the other day and only one (Wempe) actually had any.

Journeyman
    I like my Nomos. Nice detailing on the dial, plus the new manufacture calibres are a beauty to look at.

I keep coming back to Noms, undecided between the Club, Ahoi & Orion, rather white dial, 36-38mm and auto, but the lug length is a killer for me. They seem to offer great VFM.

Think I'll have to try a few more on to decide.

Was offered 20% off straight away on the blue club auto in Bluewater back in October, struggling to think what store but pretty certain Chisholm Hunter

Journeyman
    Just received my Tangente 35mm and it is ace. Used to have a Tangente 38 date but it was too big for my 6.25 inch wrist. The reason why I love Nomos is because they make proper watches. By this I mean they are well made, serious about good time keeping with choice design in movements. I see them as spiritual successors to all those good grade watches a la Omega, IWC, Longines, Rolex, etc. your grandad might have bought and kept for life. Also priced similarly as a proportion of one's salary. Very different in essence to so many contemporary watches today.

Craftsman
    Took the plunge on an Orion 38 date last week which just arrived. Really happy with it, thought with the lugs it might wear a bit too big but they're a little bit smaller on the Orion than the others and curved slightly so it balances quite nicely. Also it's so thin that it brings down the overall bulk a bit.

Lots of watch for the money.