closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Box and Papers - value?

Master

Box and Papers - value?

Just popped in to a local shop, as I spotted a used watch in the window, and it caught my eye.
    The watch isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it does tick most of the boxes and is half the price of the next model up that I've been looking at for a while.

Now the prices is reasonable and I haven't even talked about discount, I'd go as far as to say it's a little too cheap imho compared to others online, they have it listed online but in my eyes under described the condition.
    The negatives are that I would need to purchase an extra link for it, which is easy enough, but it also doesn't come with box and papers, how much does a watch not having the box(es) and papers effect value?
    As it appears that the watch is 25% cheaper than those I can see online with box and papers.
    Now this difference would more than cover the cost of a service, and sourcing a replacement box and the links.
    Does it sound right that it could equate for such a difference?
    I think it would have been a case of handing over the cash straight away if the prices had been closer to those online hence my reluctance and seeking advise on the box and papers side of things.
    I'm not overly bothered about the papers as it will be a keeper.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I picked up a Patek 5167 with papers but no box for £11800. That was 4 months ago. With box they are selling for £19k+ so either I lucked out or the box is worth £7k

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I picked up a Patek 5167 with papers but no box for £11800. That was 4 months ago. With box they are selling for £19k+ so either I lucked out or the box is worth £7k

From a dealer? UK?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    From a dealer? UK?
    No. Will PM you

Master
    What is the model and what is the price?

Being cheaper than other examples from the most expensive sellers would be meaningless.

The value of "box and papers" will also differ for different brands and even models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Get the lotto on asap!

Horses for courses, on a £100 Orient Mako absolutely nothing and for an early 70s Rolex DRSD several thousand pounds. Most other watches are somewhere in between.

Journeyman
    As others have pointed out, it all depends. What brand? Is it a limited edition? How old is the watch?

And also on whether you plan on selling it on - or whether it will be a keeper...

SD43, Explorer 2 Polar, SMP