closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Watch hunting in Newcastle - Recommendations.

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    CUMBRIA
    Posts
    661

    Watch hunting in Newcastle - Recommendations.

    Iíve got a couple of hours to spare in the canny City next week and wondered if anyone can recommend a good spot for a browse.
    Iím generally interested in pre-owned and eclectic, but always enjoy a gander at pretty much everything from Patek to Pulsar.
    Thanks in advance.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,519
    Last time I went to the metro center they had a few shops selling new and pre owned watches.


    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    1,953
    David Summerfield Jewellers are at The Metro Centre, as are Market Cross Jewellers:

    https://davidsummerfield.co.uk/

    https://www.marketcrossjewellers.com/map/4



    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    2
    For grey, you could try Watch Trader on the corner of Osborne Road and Acorn Road, in Jesmond. They also sell through Chrono24. Nice shop and slick operation but overpriced.

    ADs - Northern Goldsmiths on Blackett Street is worth a look. From a historical perspective, reputedly selling Rolex as far back as 1919 and they claim the first Rolex dealer in the UK. Plenty of other brands in there too Omega, Breitling etc.

    Berryís is a few doors down and sells all of the brands which arenít in Goldsmiths; Patek, IWC, JLC, Cartier etc.

    Rox is also just over the road selling Tudor and a few others.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    2
    You could also try the Newcastle Jewellery Company on Pilgrim Street.

    Pot luck what you will get in there, but they occasionally have some old Omegas.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Apprentice theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    ADs - Northern Goldsmiths on Blackett Street is worth a look. From a historical perspective, reputedly selling Rolex as far back as 1919 and they claim the first Rolex dealer in the UK. Plenty of other brands in there too Omega, Breitling etc.

    Berryís is a few doors down and sells all of the brands which arenít in Goldsmiths; Patek, IWC, JLC, Cartier etc.

    Rox is also just over the road selling Tudor and a few others.
    Just to keep things correct for a visitor to Newcastle who doesn't know the shops, Northern Goldsmiths on Blackett Street is actually called Reid and Sons. There is an actual Goldsmiths store inside Eldon Square which is only a short walk from Blackett Street (as I'm sure you know). Can't recall when Goldsmiths rebranded from Northern Goldsmiths. Theres also a Beaverbrooks inside Eldon Square as well for the more mainstream shopper and an Ernest Jones. All within around half a mile of each other.

    I like Berrys and the staff in Reid and Sons are spot on as well, both shops are worth a visit. Not very fond of Rox, they don't have much on show watch wise, the last time I called in they had very little. Apparently their Scottish store is the one for watches.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    CUMBRIA
    Posts
    661
    Thanks for the replies, didnít get into the Town in the end, but managed an hour in the Metro Centre. Usual lack of Rolex in Goldsmiths, lots of everything else. Found the staff in Beaverbrooks and (their) Omega Boutique very friendly and helpful.
    Pre-owned at Market Cross and David Summerfield a bit strong on price, but theyíre going to be-those rents wonít be cheap ! Think a couple of brands no longer represented since last time I was there (Zenith for One). Donít see how Four shops facing each other and selling Tag Heuer works ??


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/Edinburgh
    Posts
    589
    Blog Entries
    1
    Apart from your wrong with your correction ;) Northern Goldsmiths is on the corner on Blackett Street where it’s been since 1892 and is still there, at least it was earlier on this afternoon. It’s a Goldsmiths branch, part of watches of Switzerland group and was the first shop in the world to sell a Rolex.

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Just to keep things correct for a visitor to Newcastle who doesn't know the shops, Northern Goldsmiths on Blackett Street is actually called Reid and Sons. There is an actual Goldsmiths store inside Eldon Square which is only a short walk from Blackett Street (as I'm sure you know). Can't recall when Goldsmiths rebranded from Northern Goldsmiths. Theres also a Beaverbrooks inside Eldon Square as well for the more mainstream shopper and an Ernest Jones. All within around half a mile of each other.

    I like Berrys and the staff in Reid and Sons are spot on as well, both shops are worth a visit. Not very fond of Rox, they don't have much on show watch wise, the last time I called in they had very little. Apparently their Scottish store is the one for watches.
    Last edited by johnnyhayward; 4th January 2020 at 20:24.

  9. #9
    Apprentice theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    33

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    Apart from your wrong with your correction ;) Northern Goldsmiths is on the corner on Blackett Street where it’s been since 1892 and is still there, at least it was earlier on this afternoon. It’s a Goldsmiths branch, part of watches of Switzerland group and was the first shop in the world to sell a Rolex.
    Thanks for correcting my correction ;-) I'd completely forgotten about that store even though it's opposite Rox and only half a dozen doors down from Berrys (and quite a landmark as well). That said, Reid and Sons which is two doors down from Berrys, was established in 1778 (taken from Goldsmiths website) and I believe is the oldest jewellers that Goldsmiths own. I corrected the previous comment as they said it was just a few doors down from Berrys which Reid and Sons are (actually two doors) and they also sell a lot of nice watches. Probably were referring to Goldsmiths and forget Reid and Sons in the middle! :-) ) Double the fun I guess!

    Thinking about it, Goldsmiths have gone overkill in Newcastle city centre. Effectively three stores in half a mile radius!!
    Last edited by theancientmariner; 4th January 2020 at 20:47.

  10. #10
    Apprentice theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Thanks for the replies, didnít get into the Town in the end, but managed an hour in the Metro Centre. Usual lack of Rolex in Goldsmiths, lots of everything else. Found the staff in Beaverbrooks and (their) Omega Boutique very friendly and helpful.
    Pre-owned at Market Cross and David Summerfield a bit strong on price, but theyíre going to be-those rents wonít be cheap ! Think a couple of brands no longer represented since last time I was there (Zenith for One). Donít see how Four shops facing each other and selling Tag Heuer works ??
    I agree, in my experience, the Beaverbrooks staff at the Metro Centre are very good. The Omega and Breitling boutiques are relatively new and quite nicely set up. It is quite odd how four mainstream jewellers manage to survive, all being opposite each other. Ernest Jones have the Tag Boutique but it's barely an add on and probably no more watches than Beaverbrooks? Not quite sure about your experience of Goldsmiths and Rolex. When I've passed they have a large window full of Rolex but I'm not a Rolex fan so don't really know which models they have.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington , England
    Posts
    414
    Iíve got a long time history with Goldsmiths, cut through the bull and theyíre fine.

    Berrys are good as well , been well looked after in both stores over the years.

    No history with any of the others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information