closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portugal - quiet, seaside resort

Banned
    Blog Entries

Portugal - quiet, seaside resort

We fancy driving from France, across Spain to Portugal for 10/21 days, middle of this month. Just need a bit of sun and sea air after a minor op today, daytime temp c. 17-20c. We have not been before, so would welcome locations and accommodation recs. We will have one dog in tow, and quite like self-catering villas in their own grounds, with adequate off street parking. TIA.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine has an apartment in Vilamoura that we go to every other year, lovely higher end part of the area with great food and bars to choose from. Never been this time of year but it’s certainly a lovely place in my opinion. Just be aware there are a lot of golf courses nearby so it does attract a fair few middle aged blokes who like to drink of an evening.... or is that me?!!

Tavira is a nice, smaller traditional town on the Algrave coast. From there you can head across towards the Spanish border to places like Castro Marim for an even quieter experience.

Nice part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I love Albufiera.
    The Marina end is nice and quiet with a few villas for rent directly on the Marina.
    It's only a short walk or a quick taxi ride to the old town with some lovely bars and restaurants and it's a great atmosphere.
    Albufiera does get a bit of stick for partying but it's only the strip which to be honest is miles away from the old town and even further from the Marina.

Hell of a drive !!! I did it a few years back 2 full days to get to our place at the time in Carvoeiro .

If you want more Portuguese ,it would have to be the silva coast down from Lisbon . If Algarve try Alvor, Largos . Carvoeiro should be fairly quite at this time of the year.

Master
    Cascais is lovely and there's a really nice Intercontinental (if you fancy a hotel) which overlooks the sea. There's also a little train that runs into Lisbon from outside.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Hell of a drive !!! I did it a few years back 2 full days to get to our place at the time in Carvoeiro .

If you want more Portuguese ,it would have to be the silva coast down from Lisbon . If Algarve try Alvor, Largos . Carvoeiro should be fairly quite at this time of the year.
    Thanks. Already being nearly two thirds of the way down through France should help kickstart the drive - which actually is a part of the trip I am looking forward to! Equally, we are in no rush to get anywhere.

Blog Entries
    Skyman - I have dropped you a PM. We are going to Armação de Pêra next week - lovely sleepy place this time of year. Still a few restaurants open - one local 'All you can eat' local seafood plate after plate until you are full - superb experience. Location is easy to visit other towns nearby. About 16-17C sunny daytime - maybe 7-9C nighttime. Lovely coast - place to relax. Been their 4 times. Maybe see you there??

Drop me a note and I can send you AirBnB details?

Martyn

Here is an example place that may suit?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1300761?s=67&shared_item_type=1&virality_entry_poi nt=1&sharer_id=211185566
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd January 2020 at 22:35.

Another vote for Tavira from me. Algarve is lovely, but everything east of Faro is just amazing. Nice and quiet. If you go to Albufeira, Falesia beach is fantastic. La Forchetta restaurant in Faro has insane homemade pasta.

Master
    i’d stay away from Villamora or Albufera- far too busy and touristy

West of Lagos is superb, Luz, burgau, sagres, carveiro.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    A friend of mine has an apartment in Vilamoura that we go to every other year, lovely higher end part of the area with great food and bars to choose from. Never been this time of year but it’s certainly a lovely place in my opinion. Just be aware there are a lot of golf courses nearby so it does attract a fair few middle aged blokes who like to drink of an evening.... or is that me?!!
    Vilamoura is totally quiet this time of the year. Only (Olympic) sailors from all over the world in town (including my eldest - look out for bright blue Musto jackets with 'TeamNL' on the back). Bungalows and holiday homes are cheap this time of the year. Mind you, the weather is fine 95% of the time, but the remaining 5% brings a lot of rain and storm. Vilamoura is especially built for holidays and sailing. So there's not much to see like an old town etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some great info here guys, just need to agree a plan with the wife.
    Martyn - will be in touch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Cascais is lovely and there's a really nice Intercontinental (if you fancy a hotel) which overlooks the sea. There's also a little train that runs into Lisbon from outside.
    Cascais is very nice & the train that runs along the coast makes it so easy to get in & out of Lisbon.
    Not sure on the weather this time of year - although we stayed there for a week one summer when we had to drive away from the Algarve to get away from the constant rain!

Journeyman
    +1 for Cascais, lovely little town and nice watch AD.

Have stayed in Villamora too, it wasn't for us, great for sailing (or sitting on their boat in the marina) lots of golf nearby I think, but no soul - but that was 10+ years ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Another vote for Tavira from me. Algarve is lovely, but everything east of Faro is just amazing.
    This all day long.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

Excellent advice here. If you’re going to the Algarve then stay west of Lagos. Sagres is lovely.

To echo other people, Cascais is great. It has a great mix of everything, not like the Algarve and is only 30mins on the train from Lisbon.

Craftsman
    Alvor is quite nice along with Tavira. The trouble with the Algarve area of Portugal is that it’s heavily populated by British people.

Had a place in Carveiro for quite a few years now, would certainly have a look there.

It’s got busier over the years, but lots of decent restaurants there, and mainly family orientated so not full of Brits on the lash.

The beech in the town centre is quite small, but there are others that are within a 10/15 minute drive.

Also a few of those water park type things close by if that floats your boat.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Caiscais or vilamoura if golf is an objective

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

agreed plus this time of year the more south you go the nicer the weather - but Porto is amazing too and has nice beaches all the way down to Lisbon

Blog Entries

Cool

Come on Simon you don’t know what you are missing!! Armação de Pêra view from our penthouse duplex at 1pm today :smug face: