closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marathon SAR, anyone own one?

Craftsman

Marathon SAR, anyone own one?

Hi all,
    Im wondering if anyone here could offer some advice.
    I only have the one watch at the moment, an Orient Saturation Diver on an Isofrane strap.
    I really like the watch and can get away with is size as I think my wrist is quite large at 7.75"
    However, Im looking for something different (but a diver still) to wear on a nato or similar strap, possibly to have a few strap changes as I like to keep my Sat Diver just how I have it now.
    I have read that the SAR (and GSAR/TSAR) wear small. I think an SKX looks small on me so was wondering if anyone has any pics of them side by side, or does anyone with a larger wrist own one?
    Ive seen various pics too but it is so hard to tell and I really want to avoid an expensive mistake. as its the original SAR I want which will have to be a second hand/no return purchase.
    The JSAR also made by Marathon is too big to me, the crystal is to big/bezel too thin and just feels oversize.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Master
    SAR is 41 mm but very chunky and tall watch, with short lugs. I owned two GSAR, one military and one civilian version, both on leaf bracelets. They're bombproof watches, but not large.

It wears similar to SKX so if you are good with OS it would feel too small.

Can't help you with the Marathon but would be interested in pictures of your Orient saturation diver .

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I have the SAR and two Orient Sats!
    The SAR is smaller but it is a thick watch. It wears smaler than the Orient as you tend not to notice the thickness. I find the Orient at the upper limit of what I can pull of size wise, the SAR is a good fit.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I have the SAR and two Orient Sats!
    The SAR is smaller but it is a thick watch. It wears smaler than the Orient as you tend not to notice the thickness. I find the Orient at the upper limit of what I can pull of size wise, the SAR is a good fit.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.
    Thanks for the reply, interesting that you have both, can I ask your wrist size please?
    Cheers,
    Rob

Master
    Agree with previous comments; tsar wears v similar to skx both in terms of footprint and height.

I think it would look good on any size wrist but that's just my taste.

If you dislike the skx size wise, then I doubt the tsar will appeal.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've only got the original SAR. This is a very early one from the October 2001 contract, which I believe was the first contract. Pictured on my 6.75" flat-topped wrist. It's quite a thick watch but that's just what you'd expect a diver to be. Measured just now at 41mm across the bezel and 48mm lug tip to lug tip

I have girly wrists. 38-40mm diameter watches work best for me. SAR is a good size, the Orients are on the large scale. And to top it off I do have a JSAR. It is very easy to read and probably too big for me.

When you wear the Orient and change to the SAR it wil look small. When you wear the SAR a while it wil make the Orient look big.
    Putting it on a 4-ring Zulu makes the SAR bigger. As the SAR is a bit thick and a lot less rounded than the Orient it looks better/ bigger than the dimensions alone would suggest.
    In other words; I think the SAR would not look small on your wrist.

If you are in doubt you could PM me your e-mail and I can take some comparisons tommorow!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Agree with previous comments; tsar wears v similar to skx both in terms of footprint and height.

I think it would look good on any size wrist but that's just my taste.

If you dislike the skx size wise, then I doubt the tsar will appeal.

I probably didnt dislike it as such, it just felt small compared to my Orient Sat Diver I have now, and the Orient Triton I had at the same time as the SKX.
    But then again, sometimes my current watch seems a bit big!
    When I did wear the SKX it seemed to 'have something about it' though.
    I also had a Precista PRS18q for a while, which again, felt a bit small but I really liked it.
    Thank you for your post,
    Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    I also had a Precista PRS18q for a while, which again, felt a bit small but I really liked it.
    Thank you for your post,
    Rob
    Yep, the prs18q wears similar to both imo. The precista is about 5% smaller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I have girly wrists. 38-40mm diameter watches work best for me. SAR is a good size, the Orients are on the large scale. And to top it off I do have a JSAR. It is very easy to read and probably too big for me.

When you wear the Orient and change to the SAR it wil look small. When you wear the SAR a while it wil make the Orient look big.
    Putting it on a 4-ring Zulu makes the SAR bigger. As the SAR is a bit thick and a lot less rounded than the Orient it looks better/ bigger than the dimensions alone would suggest.
    In other words; I think the SAR would not look small on your wrist.

If you are in doubt you could PM me your e-mail and I can take some comparisons tommorow!

Thanks for the offer of the pics, I'll take you up on it and pm my email.
    Its so difficult buying second hand online so just dont want to get it wrong (again laugh out loud )
    Cheers,
    Rob

Marathon SAR, anyone own one?

I have an MSAR (GSAR)
    It does wear smaller than you would think. The short lugs help. I would say it wears smaller than a SKX007, it is thick though
    The JSAR and CSAR also wear smaller than the specs would suggest (Although not small)
    It helps to wear all marathons on a NATO as the bracelet adds extra visual bulk.
    (Although I am wearing do the CSAR on bracelet today)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

I have an MSAR (GSAR)
    It does wear smaller than you would think. The short lugs help. I would say it wears smaller than a SKX007, it is thick though
    The JSAR and CSAR also wear smaller than the specs would suggest (Although not small)
    It helps to wear all marathons on a NATO as the bracelet adds extra visual bulk.
    (Although I am wearing do the CSAR on bracelet today)
    Thanks for the great pic, a really nice collection you have there!
    I wish Marathon made something inbetween a GSAR & JSAR, I think that would be perfect.
    Maybe Ive got so used to my large orient and everything else seems too small to me nowadays. Its a real shame I find the JSAR too big, even with a large wrist. I think its the large crystal and small bezel that did it, no offence intended to you or any other owners.
    Thanks again,
    Rob