closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGM221

Grand Seiko SBGM221

Well as I’ve been searching for a GS Snowflake. I’ve started to have my attention diverted to the SBGM221.

Any owners out there? Any thoughts and impressions? It looks a stunning watch and perhaps a relative bargain? GS finishing and a true GMT movement.

Perhaps I should refocus my Snowflake hunt to one of these...

Some pics courtesy of Worn and Wound:

https://wornandwound.com/review/revi...t-ref-sbgm221/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It doesn't have the fantastic Spring Drive movement, but I personally prefer the SBGM 221.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the similar non gmt model (sbgr061) and pics don't do these things justice. If its a snowflake you want though, just order one. or are they scarce these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I have the similar non gmt model (sbgr061) and pics don't do these things justice. If its a snowflake you want though, just order one. or are they scarce these days?
    Don’t think they are scarce at all. But I’m just assessing options. I only have room for one.

I had one, a beautifull watch in every respect. Only problem for me was the hands didn't have enough contrast in all but the best lighting against the dial unless I had my reading glasses on. I would gladly have another but it would have to be the rarer black dial model.

It's a lovely watch, of you're nearby, get yourself to the boutique in Knightsbridge. You can compare them all side by side.

I wanted a snowflake, but couldn't resist the case in this.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    It's a lovely watch, of you're nearby, get yourself to the boutique in Knightsbridge. You can compare them all side by side.

I wanted a snowflake, but couldn't resist the case in this.

Lovely. I think this model you have has the best GS case. I prefer the sharp angular lugs here to the case used for the Snowflake.

I was in Leeds at the weekend, and wanted to have a look at Damasko and Sinn watches, so went into Jura.
    They also had a good display of Grand Seiko.
    It's the first time I've really had a look at them, and got to handle a few.
    The quality is superb, and nearly ended up walking out with the below.
    There is 12% off which knocks £700 off it.
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...00-gmt-sbgj219

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    I was in Leeds at the weekend, and wanted to have a look at Damasko and Sinn watches, so went into Jura.
    They also had a good display of Grand Seiko.
    It's the first time I've really had a look at them, and got to handle a few.
    The quality is superb, and nearly ended up walking out with the below.
    There is 12% off which knocks £700 off it.
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...00-gmt-sbgj219

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I had a similar experience a few months ago. Went in to look at a Davosa and nearly walked out with a GS! At the time they had a Snowflake, which I tried on. Stunning watch in every respect but I think I prefer the heft of SS to titanium. The Spring Drive second hand though.... mesmerising!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Lovely. I think this model you have has the best GS case. I prefer the sharp angular lugs here to the case used for the Snowflake.

The 44GS case is both a classic and a beautiful design. My current target - the SBGA384 - has the same.

I haven't seen a Grand Seiko I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I haven't seen a Grand Seiko I don't like.
    Yeah. Partly my problem too. I’m apprehensive to buy one for FOMO on one of there other models

I think, and always have thought, that the SBGM221 is the nicest GS ever, Other opinions are available ;)

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Yeah. Partly my problem too. I’m apprehensive to buy one for FOMO on one of there other models

King Seiko isn't bad either, some lovely examples online like this...
    https://images.app.goo.gl/cu9gzMEty8S3KRzx8

Journeyman
    I am a proud owner of the (old) snowflake, sbgj003 (shown above) and am currently hunting for an sbgm221. My personal rationally is that I would like to cover more area with picking up different models in separate movements sections. Snowflake covers spring drive, sbgj003 high beat movement, sbgm221 goes over a low (or normal) frequency movement. The plus comes with different artisan dials of different colour schemes, white vs black vs cream.

All GS are amazing but I think it is the GS that speaks to you that is important. Have been 3 times to see SBGM221 in the last 3 - 6 months and I can't take my eyes from it.

On the downsight, I have now difficulties to choose a non GS watch in the same price range. Always look for a other brands watch but the craftsmanship isn't there for me.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk