closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your most disappointing purchase of 2019

Master

Your most disappointing purchase of 2019

I don't intend this to be a brand trashing thread but to express a genuine view of any watch you bought in 2019 and didn't meet your expectations and a brief reason why.

For me it was the Rolex SD43.

I had waited two years to get this watch and as a previous sub owner who found them too small i thought 43mm would be perfect.I think the size was but it was still too tall/deep and i could never get it to sit comfortably on my wrist.(6.75)

Also apart from the red writing on the dial i also found it a little bland to look at.

However the main issue i have is the price...although i paid close to the RRP is this a £9000 watch...yes it's built well and has good history but i just couldn't feel it was worth the money.

So yesterday it was traded and i picked up a brand new Omega Seamaster 42mm ceramic and £6450 cash to me.

Already the seamaster feels more comfortably,has a lovely dial and the new adjustment clasp is as good as the Rolex but for me the final conclusion is that in this day and age of crazy prices it is a good value watch.

I still own a Rolex Explorer 11 polar and feel this compliments my collection better.

Over to you for your disappointing purchase of 2019.

For me it was a titanium PO 8500. I just didn't like the glossy dial and ceramic bezel which never looked the same colour. I hankered for a PO since they were first released and thought the 8500 would be perfect as it also scratched the blue dial itch. Luckily I didn't let this put me off and bought a 2500 XL, it is a fantastic watch, highly legible and lives up to its reputation.

PS. I want a SD43

PO by Simon Gee, on Flickr

I sold my SD43 this year and have just replaced it with a SD4K. A decision I don't regret for one minute.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    My 114270. Running +8/9 spd so it’s gone back for regulation under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    My 114270. Running +8/9 spd so it’s gone back for regulation under warranty.

Was it with 2 years of a Rolex service, or a seller’s warranty?

The deal you’ve just done OP is, for me too, the right one.

Master
    JLC Master Compressor GMT by far the most disappointing watch I bought this year (and in fact ever). Pretty much the only time I have bought something unseen that has not worked out. Lasted a few weeks only. Not even closely comparable to my Seiko SLA017.

As to the OP post. I really like the SD43. For me great bracelet, finishing, history and dial. I also find it very comfortable and balanced given its size. As to the point of being ‘worth the price’ I would challenge any watch above £20 on that. Personally I find the SD better than the Omega but luckily we all have different tastes and preferences :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    JLC Master Compressor GMT by far the most disappointing watch I bought this year (and in fact ever). Pretty much the only time I have bought something unseen that has not worked out. Lasted a few weeks only. Not even closely comparable to my Seiko SLA017.

As to the OP post. I really like the SD43. For me great bracelet, finishing, history and dial. I also find it very comfortable and balanced given its size. As to the point of being ‘worth the price’ I would challenge any watch above £20 on that. Personally I find the SD better than the Omega but luckily we all have different tastes and preferences :)
    As someone with an interest in a Master Compressor, though perhaps not a GMT, would you mind sharing your thoughts as to why it was so disappointing?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Must admit SD43 not done it for me - mainly due to the changes from tradition that have been discussed many a time, cyclops, size etc.

Im hoping the new era of ceramics (whenever that may be) are matte or less glossy for the diver range.

Only had one watch in 2019 and reasonably happy with it.

Craftsman
    I got an Explorer II Polar as I have a feeling it's going to be discontinued, they left all the stickers on etc so now I feel like I can't wear it as I bought it mainly for investment!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I got an Explorer II Polar as I have a feeling it's going to be discontinued, they left all the stickers on etc so now I feel like I can't wear it as I bought it mainly for investment!
    Great daily wearer that I once had - I would just wear it and enjoy :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    It was close between selling the SD43 and Explorer11 but in the end i found the dial easier to read with my eyes at 56 and it was more comfortable.

I was in Whittles Rolex AD picking up my Seamaster and they have not had any Explorer 11 for a while and a long time member of staff is of the opinion it will either be discontinued shortly OR it will be replaced with a ceramic bezel as per the Omega white face with black bezel.

Time will tell.

I bought a Lip Nautic Ski watch as I wanted a watch that was a bit "out there" for the holidays. It arrived with a bit of plastic floating around inside it that just put me off getting a replacement. Shame really as I still like it.

Craftsman
    I picked up sub non date a couple of weeks ago and it has staid in the box
    Even the sales lady said how nice my tudor gmt was
    Oh well the hype got me and i have owned many Rolex’s
    I saw the original op post and i was in the same mindset
    Get a sd43 but reading his post having owned one of the original deep seas and selling it very quickly as it felt too top heavy
    You live and learn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Tudor Pelagos LHD

I can't deal with the bulk and the essay on the dial. Kicking myself for not picking up the 2-line ETA version instead

Quote Originally Posted by Sammers23 View Post
    Tudor Pelagos LHD

I can't deal with the bulk and the essay on the dial. Kicking myself for not picking up the 2-line ETA version instead
    Unlike the Black Bay, I think you only lose about half a mm by going back to the ETA Pelagos... you do, of course, get the two-line dial back though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Unlike the Black Bay, I think you only lose about half a mm by going back to the ETA Pelagos... you do, of course, get the two-line dial back though.
    Thanks, that's useful to know

Craftsman
    Tudor Pelagos LHD

Was looking at these yesterday, I understand what you mean about the essay (although old eyes help with losing unwanted detail) but that blue colour...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Was it with 2 years of a Rolex service, or a seller’s warranty?
    Sellers warranty. Expecting a call later in the week with a collection date. I’m hopeful that this will be one of those posts that had a happy ending - so to speak. The watch is perfect apart from running out of specification!

Thanks, that's useful to know
    I, like most on the internet, have no inside knowledge as to Rolex/Tudor Basel 2020, but I would be surprised if there was never a Pelagos ‘58’ with the smaller, thinner movement (and, for that matter, a Pelagos GMT). Thing is, though I think it’s highly likely to happen at some point, it could be next year or 2030.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I, like most on the internet, have no inside knowledge as to Rolex/Tudor Basel 2020, but I would be surprised if there was never a Pelagos ‘58’ with the smaller, thinner movement (and, for that matter, a Pelagos GMT). Thing is, though I think it’s highly likely to happen at some point, it could be next year or 2030.
    I agree, I think a 40mm slimmer version would sell very well

Craftsman
    the essay on the dial
    Love this term. The smiley ETA on Tudors is much nicer on the eye, although the in-house movements are pretty special.

For me, I’ve not been disappointed in something I’ve bought, but getting the BB GMT has meant I’ve neglected the rest of my collection significantly.

I only bought two in 2019 - kept one and sold one so I guess it has to be the A13-A which I sold.

It was nice enough but just didn’t actually get worn - I think it had no particular purpose for me (esp as I already had a black dialled chrono).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    As someone with an interest in a Master Compressor, though perhaps not a GMT, would you mind sharing your thoughts as to why it was so disappointing?
    Did not find anything up to what I expected / you should get at that price point, from the finishing, how the pushers and bezel worked, strap design and manufacture.
    Also dealing with the local AD to get a replacements strap was a pain as they were completely unhelpful, as was the EU concierge service. Everything too difficult or too much trouble for them.
    Overall so bad I will not go near any JLC. Ever.

Did not find anything up to what I expected / you should get at that price point, from the finishing, how the pushers and bezel worked, strap design and manufacture.
    Also dealing with the local AD to get a replacements strap was a pain as they were completely unhelpful, as was the EU concierge service. Everything too difficult or too much trouble for them.
    Sadly (as I've had 10 over the years) his is my feeling too. I used to have direct contact with the service centre and whilst even then things did not go smoothly at least I was in contact with someone who could sort. Now it's some french chap who I can barely understand and who can barely understand me giving me computer says no. Pathetic. Not touched one since 2014.

Journeyman
    Interesting stuff, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Sellers warranty. Expecting a call later in the week with a collection date. I’m hopeful that this will be one of those posts that had a happy ending - so to speak. The watch is perfect apart from running out of specification!

👍👍

Master
    214270 Explorer, unfortunately. Bought to replace my 114270 version but the small guy has the charm that the current version gets nowhere near, an Explorer should be 36. You'd think I'd have learned too, it's my second

I knew the white bezel is unusual and that's why it was sold cheap. But what made me so upset was that the crown stem was defective and it just passed the QC before sending out of factory.

Haven said so, I brought my second Glycine and prepaid six months in advance and eventually found myself kinda disappointed again as it always reminds me of a Sandoz.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    214270 Explorer, unfortunately. Bought to replace my 114270 version but the small guy has the charm that the current version gets nowhere near, an Explorer should be 36. You'd think I'd have learned too, it's my second

I second that motion!

Grand Master
    Very rarely am I disappointed with a watch, I do my homework and I usually know what I want. Having acquired a couple of vintage Constellations I`m v. pleased with both, but the watch I`d wanted for a couple for years and finally got hold of just isn`t doing it for me and I think it'll be for sale soon. This is the 116000 Rolex OP36 with blue 3-6-9 dial dial, having finally found one at an acceptable price I`m just not feeling the love. I`ve had a 36mm 116200 Datejust before and liked it, I`ve had a 114270 Explorer and liked that, but so far this one's leaving me cold and it's too much money tied up in a watch I don`t feel enthusiasm for. Major niggle is the bracelet, can`t get a really comfy fit owing to the limitations of the design, Rolex really should do better, there's a simple improvement that anyone could see and that would address it.

I`ve moved on, apart from a 1986 bimetal Datejust that I`ll never sell I`ve no longer any love for Rolex, I needed to buy this OP36 to realise that. I get far more pleasure from vintage watches worth a few hundred pounds, that's where I`ve ended up.

Can`t see me buying anything in 2020, if I do it'll be vintage.

Grand Master
    As nice as it is a "Dreyfuss" Day date Month & Moonphase.Took in a trade because it is a very nice watch tbh.Gold plated on a brown leather butterfly clasp,full set,the box is very nice with space for 4 more of your watch collection to occupy.

Sounds like a sales post!.........£275 plus rmsd and it can be yours.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/4418Rmz0/image.jpg]

Last edited by P9CLY; 2nd January 2020 at 13:57.

It's that plump rounded bezel, it's just too feminine.

Your most disappointing purchase of 2019

1. My 5167 which I find too light. I had the choice of that and the 5164. I’ll make the right choice next time.

2. My recent SD43, which I find a tad heavy, still in the breaking-in period.

This:

An empty box delivered by Parcelforce that had to be signed for and had cost me £400 was probably my most disappointing purchase of 2019. At least the box is reusable 😂

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This:

An empty box delivered by Parcelforce that had to be signed for and had cost me £400 was probably my most disappointing purchase of 2019. At least the box is reusable 
    A nice box it is too.

Mine is a Seiko SLA019 (green MM300). It’s my second MM and my third green watch.
    After previously owning both Rolex LVs, I finally realised that I don’t do green watches. Also, the sheer mass of the MM is too great for my bony wrist. I’d forgotten that detail.
    Nothing to do with the looks and finish of the Seiko though, which is very nice.
    Traded for a 9F GS which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I had waited two years to get this watch and as a previous sub owner who found them too small i thought 43mm would be perfect.I think the size was but it was still too tall/deep and i could never get it to sit comfortably on my wrist.(6.75)
    I have the same size wrists as you and perfect size for me is a 5 digit Sub (40mm), the 6 digit maxi case is the same size but chunky lugs so wears a bit bigger, I would imagine a 43mm looking big on your wrist??

Each to their own but wrists smaller than 7" 40mm is the sweet spot, although I dont include Speedmasters at 42mm!

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I don't intend this to be a brand trashing thread but to express a genuine view of any watch you bought in 2019 and didn't meet your expectations and a brief reason why.

For me it was the Rolex SD43.

Also apart from the red writing on the dial i also found it a little bland to look at.

However the main issue i have is the price...although i paid close to the RRP is this a £9000 watch...yes it's built well and has good history but i just couldn't feel it was worth the money.

So yesterday it was traded and i picked up a brand new Omega Seamaster 42mm ceramic and £6450 cash to me.

Already the seamaster feels more comfortably,has a lovely dial and the new adjustment clasp is as good as the Rolex but for me the final conclusion is that in this day and age of crazy prices it is a good value watch.

I still own a Rolex Explorer 11 polar and feel this compliments my collection better.

Over to you for your disappointing purchase of 2019.

Surprising to hear this about the SD43 - I've never been a big fan of SDs due to my smaller wrist but I've recently grown to like the SD43 (particularly the red writing as you said). No thanks to the current SS sports rolex situation now I've never tried one on before... curious if I will feel the same as you do

Master
    Lol looks like we might see a few SD43s in the sales corner 😜

I managed to try one in watchfinder and I did like the proportions, the deepsea was very top heavy and chunky but the sd43 was just perfect

Apprentice
    Tudor Pelagos LHD

Just goes to show how personal watches are - LHD Pelagos has been purchase of the year for me. Yes there are 5 lines of text, but other aspects (roulette date for example) and the overall package more than make up for it in my eyes.

Craftsman

Can we ask....

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    This:

An empty box delivered by Parcelforce that had to be signed for and had cost me £400 was probably my most disappointing purchase of 2019. At least the box is reusable 
    What was meant to be inside the box?

This. Because I just don't wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    This. Because I just don't wear it.

We’re all different - bought mine 3 months ago and been wearing it exclusively since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Controversial - The hesalite moonwatch - just didn’t do it for me and I found the manual winding an inconvenience- and with big fingers not that easy to do.... so it didn’t last long and got flipped...

SD43, Explorer 2 Polar, SMP

Nothing disappointing for me this year, but I’m not surprised to hear about a few disappointed SD43 buyers. For me, it’s just not nicely proportioned.
    I feel the same about the DSSD too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

A new Seiko PADI Turtle owned it for a day and sold it, just didn't do it for me

I must say I am now also re-evaluating my SD43 after being away on holiday for the last few weeks and taking the SMP 300 on a rubber strap with me... I put the SD43 on yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and was quite surprised at the weight - I got so used to the smaller SMP.... And I was one of the biggest supporters of the SD43 after wearing it daily for almost 6 months....

Current: GMT Master II (LN), Submariner (LV), Explorer II Polar, SMP 300, SD43

No disappointment with the small number of watches I bought this year, but I was disappointed that my Schaffen died within a year.

I could have sent it back, but to be honest, I was doubtful I'd ever see it again, so it sits here dead...

I guess I should get a few of my less than 100% functioning watches fixed, my Breil Manta is gaining 30 minutes a day again and the second hand in my B1 has stuck again after freeing up and running quite happily for a year...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ollech & Wajs,nice watch but after one wear it’s not for me.Such is life.