closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A week without a watch and....

A week without a watch and....

.... I hate it!

I hoped to be able to say that it’s been liberating and has ended the madness but no. I don’t feel properly dressed at all. I can’t stand it! I feel sad which itself is rather sad I know. Not turning my wrist to get the time is awful.

I’ve been genuinely surprised by how bad it has made me feel.

This is the first time I’ve been watchless for a week since, I believe, 1982. I was ten when I got a Timex hand-wound diver for Christmas and I was hooked.

Sad times indeed.

Do do you think you’d feel the same?

Master
    I've found it alien enough just wearing one watch over the past month, let alone no watch!

Yes! If I leave the house without a watch I feel a bit weird. It’s been known to spoil my day, so I can’t imagine a week without wearing one.

You are amongst friends here.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even the 7000-8000!?

Master
    It must like going out ' Commando '.

I also find it weird not wearing a watch.

I still have that but my father in law has been wearing it lately. It was originally his watch of 40+ years so even when I have it I don’t wear it often for sentimental/practical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Not even the 7000-8000!?
    - - - Updated - - -

Actually Jon it’s the opposite; I love going commando but hate not owning a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    It must like going out ' Commando '.

I also find it weird not wearing a watch.

Master
    40'ish years & I've always worn a watch, 24/7 365 days of the year. Just the thought of not having one on my wrist sends shivers down my spine. Sad I know, but there you are.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Not sad at all, I absolutely hate it :(

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    40'ish years & I've always worn a watch, 24/7 365 days of the year. Just the thought of not having one on my wrist sends shivers down my spine. Sad I know, but there you are.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Ive been known to drive home and get my watch after realising I’d forgotten to put it on after a shower I’d probably feel more comfortable going out naked, why on earth would you go a week without one lol

Your old (last?) watch says Hello!
    Sorry David, couldn’t resist.
    The thought of no watch is completely alien to me - I’d have to go back over 40 years.

Master
    Well, I don’t have a watch since September. It is strange and I miss it every day.

Maybe on day I’ll get one again.

Looks great Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post

Your old (last?) watch says Hello!
    Sorry David, couldn’t resist.
    The thought of no watch is completely alien to me - I’d have to go back over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    ....why on earth would you go a week without one lol
    Can’t afford to own / buy one at the moment. I’m hoping June / July 2020 will see a purchase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Can’t afford to own / buy one at the moment. I’m hoping June / July 2020 will see a purchase.
    Fair enough sorry to hear that, although I sure a member here would happily loan one for use if needed

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Since being given my first digital Casio as a nipper I've never been without a watch, and there's no way in hell I'd want to be.

I know some people love to holiday without a watch, not for me.

Master
    I still have that but my father in law has been wearing it lately. It was originally his watch of 40+ years so even when I have it I don’t wear it often for sentimental/practical reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Jon it’s the opposite; I love going commando but hate not owning a watch.

Thanks for that sobering thought David.

We had CQC visit us the week before Christmas, and I thought the best way to avoid getting caught out was not to wear a watch at all that day, rather than rely on myself to take it off while I was doing clinic. Result? I was lost, couldn't keep to time, felt half naked...

BTW for anyone who is interested, there is no evidence that wearing a wristwatch poses an infection risk. "Naked below the elbow" ranks with "eating carrots improves your night vision" as diversionary propaganda.

I've got a few spare if you wanted something to wear until you acquire a new piece...

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I’d rather wear an £8 Casio F91W than nothing! Although I find the buttons are easy to catch and set an unexpected alarm, the g shocks look like they have some guards but are considerably more.

Master
    Come off it, you can buy one for a fiver

I tend not to wear one whilst walking at this time of the year. Too much stuff on with a long sleeved top, jacket, gloves etc. It is easier to not bother. Its different in warmer weather when no jacket required (as Phil Collins once sang).

Normally wait until back home and put one on after a shower. Never sleep in a watch either.

PM me, I’m more than happy to loan you one of mine until you can get one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    PIERS,

Just came across your Watches (Pinion, I believe), as I wasn't familiar with the brand.

Had a quick look through the website and I've gotta confess that both the "Pure" and "Atom" watches look really nice!! I like how the look has been kept clean and simple whilst still retaining a quality/classy look.

Nice!!

Apprentice
    I never go out the house without a watch on. Weird

Journeyman
    I’m a week into the Apple Watch which I swore I wouldn’t ever get but looking to live a bit healthier.

Shock horror I’m not missing my ‘nice’ watches at all!

Thanks very much to both of you. I'm now sorted and have PMd you individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    I've got a few spare if you wanted something to wear until you acquire a new piece...

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post

Blog Entries
    Seriously not a problem as far as i am concerned i go without a watch quite often and sometimes wear one because i really should now retired so no work commitments ,no meetings and ( unfortunately) no lunchtime assignations anymore.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    This is what I like about this forum.
    All slate one another at some point but also willing to help each other out also

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    This is what I like about this forum.
    All slate one another at some point but also willing to help each other out also

Blog Entries
    To me not wearing a watch would feel like wearing one sock. . . . very strange

I wear a watch 24x7 - only taking off if they are not water resistant, in the shower. Else all the time.

Although I still have an interest in watches (and far too many), I stopped wearing them nearly 5 years ago when I stopped working (but hadn't retired) - I didn't need to know what day it was never mind what the time was.
    For me it was a bit like giving up smoking: once I'd given up it didn't bother me although I confess to wearing watches on maybe a couple of occasions since...and having had maybe two rollies in the last 15 years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Although I still have an interest in watches (and far too many), I stopped wearing them nearly 5 years ago when I stopped working (but hadn't retired) - I didn't need to know what day it was never mind what the time was.
    For me it was a bit like giving up smoking: once I'd given up it didn't bother me although I confess to wearing watches on maybe a couple of occasions since...and having had maybe two rollies in the last 15 years.
    It's nothing to do with time, or what day it is for me.....it's merely wearing a piece of micro engineering on you wrist & appreceiating it. I don't need a wristwatch, pocketwatch, to let me know what time it is, my 'phone can do that. In my dotage, I may not see too well, but I'll still have a mechanical wristwatch that gives me pleasure for what it is.

Craftsman
    Occasionally forget to put one on after the shower if I’m rushing. It is weird, and I feel like a muppet checking my bare wrist for the time all day... Though before I was 30 and got into this, I actively preferred not to wear a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

No need to be completely watchless - just spend £9 on an F91-W to tide you over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    It's nothing to do with time, or what day it is for me.....it's merely wearing a piece of micro engineering on you wrist & appreceiating it. I don't need a wristwatch, pocketwatch, to let me know what time it is, my 'phone can do that. In my dotage, I may not see too well, but I'll still have a mechanical wristwatch that gives me pleasure for what it is.
    Very true - especially if you think about the number of times you look at your watch and then have no idea what time it is - or is that just me....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Very true - especially if you think about the number of times you look at your watch and then have no idea what time it is - or is that just me....
    Thank you for the reassurance that it’s not just me that does that lol

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Akin to deliberately tuning in to the weather forecast on the radio/tv only to have completely forgotten it before the news reader has finished the first headline.

Grand Master
    Can`t imagine not wearing a watch, often I don`t have a phone with me so I`m in the minority that still rely on a watch to tell the time.

Can`t understand the OP, why bother letting all your watches go and be left without? I can understand getting rid of expensive ones if the money is more useful elsewhere, but leaving yourself with no watch seems strange when you're a watch fan.

well I can honestly say I have never gone more than one day without a watch on for the last well 3 years , I even wear them to bed , I know a lot don't but I am a restless sleeper and like to know what time it is and how long I have to go till time to rise . but who knows as time goes by as when I retire I may not need to know the time ever ! :-)

Ive had to go watch less for almost 18 months now due to a painful wrist. It does feel weird and took a while to get used to but the release of not constantly searching for the next one is very liberating.

A week without a watch and....

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t imagine not wearing a watch, often I don`t have a phone with me so I`m in the minority that still rely on a watch to tell the time.

Can`t understand the OP, why bother letting all your watches go and be left without? I can understand getting rid of expensive ones if the money is more useful elsewhere, but leaving yourself with no watch seems strange when you're a watch fan.
    I agree. My interest and budget has waxed and waned over the years but I now have a couple of very cheap watches in the ‘collection’ which I genuinely love. The Casio ca53 calculator watch can be had for £25 in Amazon, the DW290 is in Argos on sale for £25 at the moment and even a dw-5600e is about £60. They’re all great, quirky and tough as old boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 31st December 2019 at 19:21.