closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When is a Pogue not a Pogue?

When is a Pogue not a Pogue?

I only ask as I've been thinking that I might move on my rather Pogue-like (ok, it's yellow) 7A28-7030 on at some point.

I was thinking it was worth about £80-£100, but having looked at sold prices on eBay, there are a couple that have gone recently - one non-working that looks like it's been in a blender for £250-odd and another complete working one that's tidy but not as tidy as mine for a whopping £500!

Whilst this is very encouraging, it was noticeable that in the listings, despite having the right model number the watches were described as Pogues. My basic understanding was that it was only the 6139 day date auto that should be described in that way, but has it become an acceptable description for any yellow Seiko chronograph of that era?

I'm guessing not and the "Pogue-style" would be the cheekiest that I ought to use in any listing.

I'm still reeling from the thought that I might actually sell a watch for more than I paid for it (I still have the original jewellers sales receipt from 1987)

The term Pogue seems to have been adopted by the other gold coloured dialled Seiko chronos recently, obviously not accurate, you are correct, it should be the 6139s only.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yeah, use of the term seems to have drifted. This is the Pogue, 6139-6005. Although it was rebuilt a couple of times the dial is original as later service dials lacked the 'resist' text.

Master
    as I understand it, Pogue = William Pogue and the watch he wore on the Skylab 4 Mission = 6139 6002

which I think is the 7A28 7030 - (later edit - just incorrect, apologies)

so it's that gold dial watch with the red and blue bezel

but, happy to be corrected

(posted before I saw the above)
    Last edited by BillN; 28th December 2019 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yeah, use of the term seems to have drifted. This is the Pogue, 6139-6005. Although it was rebuilt a couple of times the dial is original as later service dials lacked the 'resist' text.

I think the non resist dials were just dial variants, not service dials per se.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think the non resist dials were just dial variants, not service dials per se.
    Oh yes, sorry, what I meant was that if the dial had been replaced at a later date it would have been by a non resist version as they were superseded.

Master

It’s kind of been adopted as the ‘quartz Pogue’ by collectors.

Be interested in seeing some pics but I’d imagine you’ll get North of £600 if it’s really nice and you have the original receipt. The £500 one actually had some dial damage to it.

I did have someone DM me on instagram the other day asking for one.

There’s no harm putting ‘the quartz Pogue’ in the description as anyone paying North of £600 won’t be a noob thinking they’re getting a true 6139 pogue.

Get some pics up.

[QUOTE=jameswrx;5284181

Get some pics up.[/QUOTE]

Quick and dirty photos.

For full disclosure, it doesn't have the original bracelet (it has a replacement from a different 7A28), there's a small scratch on the crystal near the 3, a tiny dent on the bezel at 2 and the reset button needs an ever so slightly firmer press than it ought to.

Watch. Original box. Original receipt. Original warranty stamp. Even the original jeweller's plastic bag.

I've been on the lookout for a B1073S bracelet but no joy to date.

I'll have to get it in the light tent

Last edited by Gyp; 28th December 2019 at 21:45.

That’s a beauty.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Cool, shame about the bracelet, that will hurt the value a bit. Often bracelets for these old Seiko’s are hard to find.

Master
    Lovely watch. Sell it for what it is.

That's a beauty. I bought one of these myself in early 2019. Mines on the original bracelet but it's needing 2 links. There was a seller on eBay in USA selling individual links for nearly 60 quid each! Scarce it would seem.

Ended up using a clasp extender to make up the shortfall.

I'd say you'll fetch £500 on eBay easily with this one.

Master
    There seems to be half a dozen slightly different style (gold) dials on ebay, most look the same at first glance - some with the word Resist, some with the word Proof and some with no script

Also some with and some without the word Chronometer

Some watches are Auto and some quartz

at many different price points

Spencer Klein has done a tube vid to ID the "real" Pogue - as indicated in the post #3 above