closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Craftsman
    Yeah will do, if that’s how you get your kicks, that really, really sad........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save a wodge of cash and get something no less British, more exclusive and equally well designed, built and presented.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Save a wodge of cash and get something no less British, more exclusive and equally well designed, built and presented.

As an owner of one of the Scrambles I can vouch that they are amazing watches with great attention to detail... just have a look at the bezel...
    I wrote about it in my blog here; https://www.speedychronos.com/single...-be-the-answer

But that doesn’t mean that bremonts are not as well made. Especially at used or discounted prices they are well worth it.
    My write up for the alt1-zt is here if anyone is interested;
    https://www.speedychronos.com/single...ot-Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    But that doesn’t mean that bremonts are not as well made. Especially at used or discounted prices they are well worth it.
    Indeed. Nice write-ups, A.
    M

It seems 6bwatches.com is out of commission.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A lot of posters are commenting that Bremont are overpriced, but why? For the bigger brands who operate with much better economies of scale the price of producing one steel watch probably doesn’t exceed £500. For Bremont, with much smaller production runs, the cost to produce that one watch is probably much more. If, as people have suggested, Bremonts should sell at a third of the price that would leave little or no profit to them and would mean that the quality would have to decrease and any hope of an in house movement would disappear.

Comments like “enjoy the depreciation” are laughable. Just because a brand doesn’t command high resale values doesn’t mean that it doesn’t produce very good watches. If we only buy watches based on how much we can sell them for then only one or two brands should continue in this business, the rest may as well give up. Then this hobby would become very boring indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    A lot of posters are commenting that Bremont are overpriced, but why? For the bigger brands who operate with much better economies of scale the price of producing one steel watch probably doesn’t exceed £500.
    That is a supplier not a buyer problem - the cost of production should not be confused with what the consumer perceives the added value to be - there has never been a strong relationship between two in the watch industry.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    As an owner of one of the Scrambles I can vouch that they are amazing watches with great attention to detail... just have a look at the bezel...
    I wrote about it in my blog here; https://www.speedychronos.com/single...-be-the-answer

My write up for the alt1-zt is here if anyone is interested;
    https://www.speedychronos.com/single...ot-Chronograph

Nice write-up, like the look of the 6B as well, worth a browse I think

Master
    A lot of posters are commenting that Bremont are overpriced, but why?
    Why? because they seem like an absurd amount of money for something that in most cases I find deeply unattractive and unappealing! (In my personal opinion). If they took a 0 off the end of the price, they might be something I'd consider if I found one I did like. If you want to charge premium prices then you have to ensure it looks like a desirable object - that's Rolex's particular genius!

But generally I really don't like the way they look - not quite sure why - there must be something in their design language that I don't get. They often seem retro-ish, but not real retro but faux retro somehow. No, I'm sure that doesn't make sense to anyone else!

A lot of posters are commenting that Bremont are overpriced, but why? For the bigger brands who operate with much better economies of scale the price of producing one steel watch probably doesn’t exceed £500. For Bremont, with much smaller production runs, the cost to produce that one watch is probably much more. If, as people have suggested, Bremonts should sell at a third of the price that would leave little or no profit to them and would mean that the quality would have to decrease and any hope of an in house movement would disappear.
    As Alan said this isn’t the customer’s problem. The comments were made comparing what others offer at this price point, and at a lower price.

It may be that you’re unconditionally seduced by the product and in that case the price is mostly irrelevant.

It may be that you’re happy to contribute to the development of a (true) in-house movement and buy a watch without one to do so (without any chance of getting the latter at a discount: this is not crowd funding!).

But if you’re on the market with the budget for a Bremont, and you consider what’s on offer at both half the price and at the same price...

Comments like “enjoy the depreciation” are laughable. Just because a brand doesn’t command high resale values doesn’t mean that it doesn’t produce very good watches. If we only buy watches based on how much we can sell them for then only one or two brands should continue in this business, the rest may as well give up. Then this hobby would become very boring indeed.
    Possibly because its a new brand commanding high prices in a highly competitive market with brands like Breitling and IWC who already have a large chunk of the "aviation" market. People will also look at brands like Sinn and see an entry level Sinn watch starts about £800 an entry level Bremont starts at about £2800. I know people will throw up discounts on Bremont but I am talking about retail prices which is the only fair comparison.

You could argue that Bremont have the hardened cases but so do Damasko that start at about £900. You could say Bremont have COSC movements which is probably the only point which really tips in Bremont favour but then I think Damasko do likewise with some of their in house movements that with in house, chronometer movement, ice hardened case etc still come in at 3k and some for even less as like Bremont Damasko can be found for less. Sinn also have their version of hardened cases so taking all into consideration, Bremont have a lot to compete against.

A lot of people dont like the marketing and many will feel they are paying for the marketing rather than the product. Yes, the same could be said for the big brands but not so for Damasko or Sinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post

If I wanted a British made watch, I'd probably go with a Garrick. They are honest about what is made where. They have a proprietary movement (designed by Andreas Strehler no less) if that's your desire (and budget). And, if you talk to the factory early enough, you can specify your watch pretty much any way you want.
    Thank you for bringing my attention to Garrick. Not particularly fond of the open heart models but the Norfolk is absolutely gorgeous.

The history of apparent dishonesty and silly gimmicks dissuades me from Bremont.
    If I wanted a British made watch, I'd probably go with a Garrick. They are honest about what is made where. They have a proprietary movement (designed by Andreas Strehler no less) if that's your desire (and budget). And, if you talk to the factory early enough, you can specify your watch pretty much any way you want.
    English? I will just stick to my Smiths

Joking aside, Garrick seem to make some lovely watches I would love to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

It’s a brand that tells stories, but that’s to get your monkey brain, the one that likes stories, to over rule logical you and make you buy it. They are in the business of selling stuff, and you can’t blame them for that!

My monkey brain is still looking for Antoine Bremont's pea farm.
    Last edited by abraxas; 30th December 2019 at 14:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Please update this thread with your latest Bremont as I always feel that January can get me down a bit so I could do with a good laugh.
    These threads should start and end with “Bremont, LOL”.

What is funny is that the people who are keeping this thread going are the Non-Bremont fans!

The fact that this simple question has generated so many responses makes one thing clear: there are some who really like them, some who really have strong feelings against it and some who are indifferent to them.
    It is the middle group that really puzzles me.
    Why do people get so worked up in their dislike for a brand or a model?
    They may pretend to be indifferent but their behaviour belies them- repeated criticism on same grounds, sarcasm, putting down not just of a brand but those who like them etc.
    It is not just Bremont. There are other brands which provoke similar discussions and behaviour.
    For me there are two kind of watches- the ones I like and the ones I am indifferent to.
    I rarely bother to comment on or ridicule the ones I am indifferent to unless someone is disingenuously trying to promote a brand or a model by putting down another.
    Those who repeatedly and on every related thread come out to voice their same criticism or ridicule- am not sure if they are seeking attention or taking out their frustrations or trying to feel better about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The fact that this simple question has generated so many responses makes one thing clear: there are some who really like them, some who really have strong feelings against it and some who are indifferent to them.
    It is the middle group that really puzzles me.
    Why do people get so worked up in their dislike for a brand or a model?
    They may pretend to be indifferent but their behaviour belies them- repeated criticism on same grounds, sarcasm, putting down not just of a brand but those who like them etc.
    It is not just Bremont. There are other brands which provoke similar discussions and behaviour.
    For me there are two kind of watches- the ones I like and the ones I am indifferent to.
    I rarely bother to comment on or ridicule the ones I am indifferent to unless someone is disingenuously trying to promote a brand or a model by putting down another.
    Those who repeatedly and on every related thread come out to voice their same criticism or ridicule- am not sure if they are seeking attention or taking out their frustrations or trying to feel better about themselves.
    Or perhaps those indifferent middle group folk just like to discuss watches on a watch forum?

Craftsman
    That post right there describes this thread to a tee.

I would never think of going into a Breitling post to ridicule people who buy Breitling, even though the vast majority of their models aren’t particularly appealing, outside of the Navitimer and the Professional models.

Really odd behaviours at times from a broader population than you would think is possible on a forum like this

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Or perhaps those indifferent middle group folk just like to discuss watches on a watch forum?
    You seem to misunderstand the word ‘discussion’.
    Discuss is not same as berating or ridiculing.
    Repeating same opinion again and again and yet again is also not a discussion.

The thread title is presumptuous - almost ‘Why Don’t We All Have Something I Like?’ and encourages an opposing view.

You seem to misunderstand the word ‘discussion’.
    Discuss is not same as berating or ridiculing.
    Repeating same opinion again and again and yet again is also not a discussion.
    No I don’t misunderstand the word “discussion” at all. I have been discussing Bremont watches on this thread and I am rather indifferent towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    That post right there describes this thread to a tee.

I would never think of going into a Breitling post to ridicule people who buy Breitling, even though the vast majority of their models aren’t particularly appealing, outside of the Navitimer and the Professional models.

Really odd behaviours at times from a broader population than you would think is possible on a forum like this
    It's your interpretation that is specious.
    The OP asked to be talked in or out of choosing one. People voiced their opinion, and that started a debate about the reason why people liked them, or didn't. The fact that it surprised Raj shouldn't, in itself, come as a surprise as he has that habit, usually on Rolex threads.
    The fact that fans of the brand are riled by the reasons given by those who don't is irrelevant.

Craftsman
    You’re being very selective about how this thread developed and done of the questionable, borderline derogatory responses that have been made, when there’s no reason to do so other than there being some genuinely weird folk on here.

As you rightly state, some of the Rolex posts are horrendous and as a result SC is like a bear pit at times.

I tell you what though, I’m looking forward to putting up a Bremont on SC over the next few weeks, should be brutal!

Re: The fact that it surprised Raj shouldn't, in itself, come as a surprise as he has that habit, usually on Rolex threads.

Yes, I do have a habit- of questioning motives behind a certain kind of behaviour. Those perspicacious enough to do so will have noticed that it is not limited to Rolex though for obvious reasons it manifests itself much more commonly on Rolex threads as there are so many of them and there are certain haters who just can’t help themselves when it comes to Rolex. I have never challenged the popular notion that I am a Rolex fanboy because people only see what they want to see:-)
    There are times when I resist responding and there are times when I respond. Rather predictably so. In the hope of being able to understand this behaviour or making them reconsider their stance and behaviour. A fond but a vain hope, I know that and it ruffles some feathers and I also know that.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 30th December 2019 at 15:35.

Re: The fact that it surprised Raj shouldn't, in itself, come as a surprise as he has that habit, usually on Rolex threads.

Yes, I do have a habit- of questioning motives behind a certain kind of behaviour. Those perspicacious enough to do so will have noticed that it is not limited to Rolex though for obvious reasons it manifests itself much more commonly on Rolex threads as there are so many of them and there are certain haters who just can’t help themselves when it comes to Rolex. I have never challenged the popular notion that I am a Rolex fanboy because people only see what they want to see:-)
    There are times when I resist responding and there are times when I respond. Rather predictably so. In the hope of being able to understand this behaviour or making them reconsider their stance and behaviour. A fond but a vain hope, I know that and it ruffles some feathers and I also know that.
    The difference with the Rolex detractors, of which you count me but I certainly don’t, is that we may find fault or criticise but we will never say that Rolex makes a bad watch. Rolex undeniably make very good watches but they are, in my opinion, not the best, especially in the inflated gray market where you have a choice of Daytona, AP, Patek etc. The fact that they keep their value is to their credit, and as much to do with marketing and fashion as it is to do with the quality of the watches. The fact that others lose value is a blessing to me as it means I can afford to try what I see as better watches for less money.

This thread is full of people who are happy to criticise Bremont despite probably never having handled one and that is very different. This has been the case on this forum since they began production and I’m not sure why. I think it was the heavy hitters at the time taking a dislike to them and then everyone jumping on board for the ride. As I said before the people that jumped all over them for the movement fiasco were the people who were already posting negative comments on every Bremont thread. If people find them too big, too heavy or just don’t like the designs then fine, but to suggest that a zero needs to be taken off the price or that people who buy them must be on crack without any justification really says more about the poster than it does about the watches.

Craftsman
    The history of apparent dishonesty and silly gimmicks dissuades me from Bremont.
    Me too. I would (and in fact did) choose a Garrick, as much for the people as for the watch. They are a great bunch of passionate enthusiasts & craftsmen and as authentic as it comes in this business. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

Now if I could afford a Charles Frodsham, I would be all over it but sadly not to be.

The watches look ok, and at 'ok' means too expensive in my book - the military angle puts me off..Next!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    My monkey brain is still looking for Antoine Bremont's pea farm.
    Indeed. You'd think they'd mention where they had their emergency landing in their marketing spiel. Perhaps the name of the nearest village? Get some of M Bremont's relatives to sport the watches, donated as a gift for helping the boys out? Perhaps they could incorporate some of his tractor parts in a special edition?

I had an MB1.5 & a Supermarine S500/BL - both nice watches

I quite like the recent Supermarine 300 & the Boeing watches, but I don't feel the need to have one in the collection right now.
    Last edited by andy tims; 2nd January 2020 at 18:30.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

This thread is full of people who are happy to criticise Bremont despite probably never having handled one and that is very different. This has been the case on this forum since they began production and I’m not sure why. I think it was the heavy hitters at the time taking a dislike to them and then everyone jumping on board for the ride. As I said before the people that jumped all over them for the movement fiasco were the people who were already posting negative comments on every Bremont thread. If people find them too big, too heavy or just don’t like the designs then fine, but to suggest that a zero needs to be taken off the price or that people who buy them must be on crack without any justification really says more about the poster than it does about the watches.
    I could give you three reasons in justification: one historic, one current, and one future, but would you be receptive to reading them?

Craftsman
    Why didnt santa bring me socks this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I could give you three reasons in justification: one historic, one current, and one future, but would you be receptive to reading them?
    Of course, as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn’t buy another one myself because the marketing I’ve received recently has all been focussed on Nick and Giles rather than the watches, and I just can’t relate to that. I see that as a valid reason and I’m happy to see more valid reasons rather than the usual put downs from people who have clearly had no experience of the brand.

Expensive watches are wholly unnecessary and largely emotional purchases: there is absolutely no need to “handle or have experience of one” (though as it happens I have) if they don’t appeal to your emotions.

The explanations of why they don’t appeal is I think equally valid whatever the basis may be.

As a maker all these inputs should provide useful input (assuming one wants to maximise one’s sales).

I can think of many forum darlings that I will never consider for a multitude of reasons: Rolex (basically all of them), Doxa (definitely all of them), Panerai, Seiko MM300, the list goes on ... if you ask “why won’t you buy X” then you have to expect some negative responses as the reasons why not are quite likely to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The thread title is presumptuous - almost ‘Why Don’t We All Have Something I Like?’ and encourages an opposing view.
    Indeed.

Bremont? - I've never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Expensive watches are wholly unnecessary and largely emotional purchases: there is absolutely no need to “handle or have experience of one” (though as it happens I have) if they don’t appeal to your emotions.

The explanations of why they don’t appeal is I think equally valid whatever the basis may be.

As a maker all these inputs should provide useful input (assuming one wants to maximise one’s sales).

I can think of many forum darlings that I will never consider for a multitude of reasons: Rolex (basically all of them), Doxa (definitely all of them), Panerai, Seiko MM300, the list goes on ... if you ask “why won’t you buy X” then you have to expect some negative responses as the reasons why not are quite likely to be negative.
    All true, but if you hadn’t handled one would you comment on a thread about them to say that they are poor quality, over priced for what they are, or that anyone who buys one must be on crack? That is what happens on this forum practically every time Bremont is mentioned.

I would have a few reasons against a new Doxa too. Of the kind that gets you banned from certain other fora. Which, on its own, would have been reason enough.

All true, but if you hadn’t handled one would you comment on a thread about them to say that they are poor quality, over priced for what they are, or that anyone who buys one must be on crack? That is what happens on this forum practically every time Bremont is mentioned.
    I have handed one - they are overpriced due to low [intangible] brand value - just like Frederique Constant, Montblanc, Ebel and various other brands at retail.

Which does mean i would not have one but it would need to be at least 50% off retail (which is what I paid for the FC and Montblanc I own...)
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 31st December 2019 at 21:06.

Of course ... I’m happy to see more valid reasons rather than the usual put downs from people who have clearly had no experience of the brand.
    Alright, here you go: they were a dogsh*t fake brand, they are a dogsh*t fake brand, and they’ll always be a dogsh*t fake brand.

Alright, here you go: they were a dogsh*t fake brand, they are a dogsh*t fake brand, and they’ll always be a dogsh*t fake brand.
    Don't sit on the fence now hahaha

Craftsman
    I’ll put you down for the Platinum Hercules in the new year, bargain at £28k

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Bremont? - I've never heard of them.
    😂 you’ve been a member here for 6 years so I’d wager your fibbing!

Montblanc, from the outside, isn’t a watch brand. But they are Minerva!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Montblanc, from the outside, isn’t a watch brand. But they are Minerva!
    And I am very happy with mine - the price was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    And I am very happy with mine - the price was right!
    I am not surprised. They are very good indeed and with a genuine horological DNA.

I have handed one - they are overpriced due to low [intangible] brand value - just like Frederique Constant, Montblanc, Ebel and various other brands at retail.

Which does mean i would not have one but it would need to be at least 50% off retail (which is what I paid for the FC and Montblanc I own...)
    Overpriced is subjective. They’re obviously not to a lot of people or they wouldn’t sell any. Lots of luxury brands are overpriced in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Overpriced is subjective.
    Axiomatic.

Lots of luxury brands are overpriced in my opinion.
    You get you have made the same point I just made and thus support it.

If you argue that many luxury brands are overpriced in your view then you accept that bremonts are overpriced in the opinion of others. No other position is consistent with your own argument.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 31st December 2019 at 22:35.

Ok, you clearly have strong opinions on the subject. What makes a “dogsh*t fake brand?” Does it apply to any new brand on the market trying to build themselves up? Should there be a ban on all new brands going forward because, for a brand to be successful it needs to have history?
    If you can’t justify the point it just a collection of pig ignorant comments.

Axiomatic.

You get you have made the same point I just made and thus support it.

If you argue that many luxury brands are overpriced in your view then you accept that bremonts are overpriced in the opinion of others. No other position is consistent with your own argument.
    Err yep of course they are, all luxury watches are.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Err yep of course they are, all luxury watches are.
    So you agree it is perfectly valid that people think Bremont are overpriced (which does not mean you think they are overpriced)?