closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

I quite like the look of some of their watches, but the prices, to me, don't equate to the watches.

Even secondhand, they seem dear for something that seems to be marketed a bit like a Christopher Ward.

When I worked in London, I'd often pop in the Royal Exchange and for a while I had no idea what Bremont was - Their shop looked a bit like a bric-a-brac store with the odd watch on display.

I'm sure some see that as edgy, different marketing, but to me it just set an image of fakeness about the company and what I've read since has only reinforced that perception in my mind.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Ryan - you sound like someone who has found out the truth about Santa, surely this is not news

You were one of the biggest defenders or Bremont in other threads - what’s changed?
    I feel the quality is good and the cases are superb but it starts to grate now with all the heritage claptrap. Plus British isn't globally a good thing to aspire to currently! And the market has moved on since then - Omega in particular have done some amazing things in that price point and arguably Tudor too at a lower price point.

The 3 new Military themed watches (Broadsword) etc are a case in point. Not very good watches spec wise but with the naff RAF association. Go get a PRS29 and get a much better value or go for a Sinn or a Damasko and get way better quality watch for same outlay

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Also, what news about Santa? He's real surely?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Because Bremont portrays itself as an integral part of British military equipment both in the past and today. It transpires that this assertion is, in fact, bollocks

Does it though? They supply a lot of military units with commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I'll wager never a Spitfire squadron mind. Or Concorde flight crew. Or P52 Mustang crew etc. Plenty of watches have won this accolade in the last but none of them are Bremont

Master
    I'm not really bothered about Bremonts marketing TBH, if I like a watch & I can afford it, that does it for me, it's the watch I will be wearing not the marketing, history or association with anything or person. I don't like a lot in Bremonts range which translates to most mainstream makers for me. In fact I can't really think of one brand that every single watch in their line-up appeals, Oris, Longines, Omega, Rolex, Zenith for example.
    However the Alt1/P that I have, is for my money a super example of what I like about Chronographs, large arabic luminous numbers, very clever & robust case construction, Val 7750 finished to a very high standard, nice click-stop internal rotating, bezel, looks good on leather or bracelet, nice heft & a 'Chronometer' certificate to wrap it all up in, Ha.

Lovin' mine.

Craftsman
    Neither of those, but this is quite a roster of squadrons that they have supplied as well as non-aviation units......

https://www.bremont.com/pages/military-watches

The best LE they have done is ironically the P-51 Mustang, less dress watch more sports model, it’s a stunning piece and I think has doubled in the original RRP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll wager never a Spitfire squadron mind. Or Concorde flight crew. Or P52 Mustang crew etc. Plenty of watches have won this accolade in the last but none of them are Bremont

But they have never claimed to supply watches to spitfire pilots or Concorde crews?

They do supply a lot of watches to pilots in the military. That those pilots chose a Bremont over the issued offering says something.

But they have never claimed to supply watches to spitfire pilots or Concorde crews?

They do supply a lot of watches to pilots in the military. That those pilots chose a Bremont over the issued offering says something.
    Yeah I guess so. Breitling likewise. Each to their own of course - I've had a few and nice watches they are too.

Yeah I guess so. Breitling likewise. Each to their own of course - I've had a few and nice watches they are too.

Indeed, everyone’s different. I don’t particularly like the Seamaster! Although the 300m 60th is an exception 👍🏻

Commemorative jewellery =/= issued equipment.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with commemorative jewellery, but it's easy to get the impression that Bremont would like us to get confused between the two. I can see why that makes some people recoil.

Craftsman
    Don’t think there’s any confusion, even this government isn’t going to blow £4K per watch on servicemen, the fact they buy it from their own funds is arguably more compelling a message

Plenty of them wear the watches on active service, per their Instagram feed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    ..... so..

why don't we all have a Bremont?

I'm asking as i want to be talked in/out of buying one..

Thank you, Claudio.

Probably because not many find them an attractive proposition in either the looks or build departments. If they did we would of course 'all have a Bremont'. Although personally I don't mind the look of some of them, just the marketing is a bit 'gauche' perhaps.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I’ve owned a couple for a comparatively short time then traded them on.
    I doubt I’d get another but if I were to, it would be the orange or green cased one.
    If the stories about ETA movement supply being halted are true, they’d better get a wriggle on with their in house movement.
    If that puts up the (already high imho) price, I think they’ll struggle.
    Buy used would be my preference

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    I'm not really bothered about Bremonts marketing TBH, if I like a watch & I can afford it, that does it for me, it's the watch I will be wearing not the marketing, history or association with anything or person. I don't like a lot in Bremonts range which translates to most mainstream makers for me. In fact I can't really think of one brand that every single watch in their line-up appeals, Oris, Longines, Omega, Rolex, Zenith for example.
    However the Alt1/P that I have, is for my money a super example of what I like about Chronographs, large arabic luminous numbers, very clever & robust case construction, Val 7750 finished to a very high standard, nice click-stop internal rotating, bezel, looks good on leather or bracelet, nice heft & a 'Chronometer' certificate to wrap it all up in, Ha.

Lovin' mine.
    That’s rather Nice looking,I’d be very pleased to own that, but I’d probably buy a Fortis 7750 chrono that has some real airforce/space connection for half the price.

Master
    I have a B42 official cosmonauts chrono' & after the recent price rise they retail at over 3k now on the Jura website.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t like the look of Bremont watches in general, and as an Englishman the whole British Armed Forces association has always been obviously phoney and a bit embarrassing, bordering on naff. However, one thing I’m not embarrassed of - and never have been - is being British.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    ... the whole British Armed Forces association has always been obviously phoney and a bit embarrassing....
    RobDad. You may find some forum members disagree:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rne-75th-Watch

As regards the original proposition - do all Swiss have a Swiss watch, do all Germans wear a German Brand watch I wonder? However, it is good to see British watchmaking back where Rolex started. I commend the brothers and it can't be easy. It has to start somewhere and their facilities are expanding within Henley. Good luck to them!

I did own one, but haven't at present. I may do again sometime.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th December 2019 at 17:18.

The Brand does less than nothing for me.
    Zero West for me has better options.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don’t like the look of Bremont watches in general, and as an Englishman the whole British Armed Forces association has always been obviously phoney and a bit embarrassing, bordering on naff. However, one thing I’m not embarrassed of - and never have been - is being British.

Agree on both points.

I see one of the posts was edited to get rid of the further anti-British BS.

I do support British manufacturing and look forward to Bremont opening their new Henley facility next year and later producing a true British-made movement.

However, I haven’t yet owned one because on the whole they are large watches - it would be good to see more around 38-40mm. I’ve also reservations about design. While their looks have improved in the last year or two none of their watches have that drop-dead handsomeness that I’d like to see. Maybe they could spend some of their considerable marketing budget on a top watch designer?

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Whilst I love the look of the Bremont Solo I’m really not a fan of the Triptik case as it seems to needlessly complicate the design and create a weak spot for no real reason.

Craftsman
    Ive always tried to like them
    Every time I’m at an ad i look and i look but just cant get my head round a pretty average looking watch at the price point that they are pitching themselves at
    Maybe a 50% discount and they would look more appalling
    But hold on at the moment they offer a ltd edition print with each watch I’m surprised there website hasn’t crashed with the stampede of orders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a look at their 40mm models and bought a Tudor BB58 instead.

I think the branding is a bit cheesy and they are trying too hard with limited editions etc.

On speaking with the local dealer they said they have trouble selling them. Most people walk away with an Omega etc....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Maybe a 50% discount and they would look more appalling
    They manage to look quite appalling already imo 😀

I like the look MBII or MBIII. If they were sized a bit smaller, say 40 or 39mm, and priced lower I'd probably own one. I really don't give a monkeys about their faux heritage or whatever. If I like it, I buy it.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

If they wanted to play on ‘British Military history’ then they should have resurrected a brand that has that history.

Instead it sounds like some fake French ale made up by some snowflakes.

Have you ever been to Henley, I don’t want a watch from there and that is the best I can say.

I like them, I've had two and they were both extremely well made, lovely things. I don't have any watches in that kind of price bracket anymore, and that's the only reason I don't have one.

I should say, the marketing does nothing for me, though. I met the two brothers a few years ago with some of the guys from here and I found them to be nice people. They are building a business and aiming for a particular demographic, so their marketing reflects that.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    Buy what you like and make sure you get a good deal along the way, then your own happiness is guaranteed, whether other people like my watches is neither here nor there IMO.

This is why I bought the S300 Black, managed to pick it up on an integrated bracelet, with a rubber strap and nato, with a leather watch roll with 35% off in an online sale. Specifically wanted this as it’s 40mm so less significant on the wrist, sits a lot lower as 13mm and still comes with the triptick case construction, which I really like. I enjoy wearing it, built like a tank so take it on holiday without worrying.

That said, I was also offered a BB58 by my AD, and despite the similarity in size and looks, I bought it as it’s a lovely watch and easy to move on if I didn’t get in with it. Sits really nice in the wrist and has a cracking bracelet at this price point.

Honestly, there isn’t a huge amount to separate the watches, the Tudor feels more refined and obviously has the bespoke in house movement for this model, clasp is much better on the Tudor but I got much more for my cash with the Bremont and a bit of character with the inscribed case back, it’s a nice touch!

A healthy debate never harmed anyone, I have lots of watches and a number of Bremont models, they are quality watches, but they are different and it’s fine not to like them but the strength of feeling is mental at times. I’m happy to see a good company trying to do great things, that should be applauded, not hounded.

Anyway a few pics for comparison, HAGW

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Would suggest that through it’s Special Projects with a whole host of international military forces that it has earned the right to make a big deal about that? Suspect it sells more watches to active service personnel than most other brands.

Some of the recent stuff, with the HMAF release wasn’t great.

As much as Timex and casio? I doubt it.

It is all a bit walty for me plus other weird tie-ins such as this one I spotted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    As much as Timex and casio? I doubt it.

It is all a bit walty for me plus other weird tie-ins such as this one I spotted.

Are Casio and Timex undertaking specific orders for military personnel or are you suggesting that them walking into the local H Samuel to buy and every day watch is relevant to the point being made?

Why didn’t you pick up a brochure, it would have explained the Hercules model and it’s origins?

Master
    I think the look good but the majority are too big for my liking. I would consider a Solo but would prefer some other watches ta that price point. I'm neither annoyed or not enthused by their marketing, but I like that they are trying, in their own way, to resurrect British watch manufacturing.

Blog Entries
    A healthy debate never harmed anyone, I have lots of watches and a number of Bremont models, they are quality watches, but they are different and it’s fine not to like them but the strength of feeling is mental at times. I’m happy to see a good company trying to do great things, that should be applauded, not hounded.

Although they aren't my cup of tea I have to agree with you on this.

Are Casio and Timex undertaking specific orders for military personnel or are you suggesting that them walking into the local H Samuel to buy and every day watch is relevant to the point being made?

Why didn’t you pick up a brochure, it would have explained the Hercules model and it’s origins?

Was your watch issued to the 1st Light Laptop divison?

I know about the Hercules - it is all still a bit weird to me when you can buy a citizen with the royal marines logo for £200 - if you want that sort of thing...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 28th December 2019 at 19:41.

I've looked-on in admiration at Bremont but never indulged - they make a number of designs I like, but nothing so far that I love to the extent that their prices demand I should.

As others have implied, no matter how good they are - they are British, so British people will hate them if they fail, and hate them even more if they succeed - you could call it "Lewis Hamilton Syndrome"...

Craftsman
    Ha ha, yeah that’s the one, some amount of aviators and professional divers on this forum so I must be the odd one out!

All of those Rolex Deepsea owners breathing a sigh of relief that the watch still works at 3,900 metres under water

Could be worse, I could be taking pictures of watches I don’t like on a stroll around the shops

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Was your watch issued to the 1st Light Laptop divison?

I know about the Hercules - it is all still a bit weird to me when you can buy a citizen with the royal marines logo for £200 - if you want that sort of thing...
    I wonder how many RM have bought the Citizen?

Blog Entries
    Ha ha, yeah that’s the one, some amount of aviators and professional divers on this forum so I must be the odd one out!

All of those Rolex Deepsea owners breathing a sigh of relief that the watch still works at 3,900 metres under water

Could be worse, I could be taking pictures of watches I don’t like on a stroll around the shops

Well I can't claim to be an aviator or professional diver, but me and Fred are amateur explorers!!

I wonder how many RM have bought the Citizen?
    I bet the original Ray Mears that it was modeled on was popular as is the newer one (forget the model number) - the actual royal marines ones, not so much - although I bet the odd marine has received one from mum who thinks it is a smashing thing for them to own...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well I can't claim to be an aviator or professional diver, but me and Fred are amateur explorers!!

I’m not buying that for a minute, is that not the polar version, so where’s the snow?!

Whilst they are not to everyone's taste, the Airco is a neatly-proportioned 40mm and I really like the look of both the cream-dialled Alt-1C and the (don't hate me) stainless steel Kingsman.

Why should we? I don't only buy British, do you?

I have nothing against Bremont, but I've never seen anything that takes my fancy. They're usually on the thick size too (case and price).

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    why don't we all have a Bremont?
    Because we’re not all on crack?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Because we’re not all on crack?
    Im not so sure, my watch buying habits are suggesting otherwise... my wife certainly thinks im on crack!!!

Apprentice
    Bremont certainly has some nice watches. I personally like the Bremont AIRCO Mach 3 - nice clean design and great dial. But £3 K is a big ask for that IMHO.
    If you you are looking for a British designed watch there are better alternatives value wise.
    I personally like the watches designed by Marloe. Great watches at reasonable prices.

Master
    Blog Entries

I wear an MB3 most days, very well built watch and I like the innovative case design. Its been a great work beater and travelling watch.
    Last edited by Middo; 28th December 2019 at 22:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Whilst I love the look of the Bremont Solo I’m really not a fan of the Triptik case as it seems to needlessly complicate the design and create a weak spot for no real reason.

Actually, if you do a little research on the Trip-Tik case construction it is not only a very clever case design, but it really does an amazing job of protecting the movement, so in no way a 'weak spot' at all. Think Richard Mille!

I’m not buying that for a minute, is that not the polar version, so where’s the snow?!

Oh, another climate change denier, eh?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Actually, if you do a little research on the Trip-Tik case construction it is not only a very clever case design, but it really does an amazing job of protecting the movement, so in no way a 'weak spot' at all. Think Richard Mille!
    Leaving aside the basic point that a three piece case can’t be stronger than a two piece design since it has an extra joint to protect - along with an exhibition case back - I would have to say that incredibly, in over 40 years of watch ownership, I’ve never yet had a problem with damaging the movement within a conventional case design. So, for me, it solved a problem that didn’t exist.
    Perhaps if I were to spend more time ejecting from aircraft on MB ejector seats I’d get more value - that is if I were willing to wear a watch of that price whilst trialling MB products!

Last edited by adg31; 29th December 2019 at 00:07.

We all have different tastes.

I have had 2 - enjoyed them both immensely. Bremont make some great pieces, whilst they are not to everybody's taste (which can be said for every brand) some of the stones being thrown are not warranted or necessary.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........