closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    You can have pride in various aspects of your country without having much love for rose-tinted marketing rubbish.
    You posted this on a watch forum!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    For me it’s no more complex than loving the design of the case and dials.
    The MBII is beautiful to my eyes.

A great design!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    No pride in the country that provides a place for you to live your life on then???
    Had a little end-of-week livener, have you? To answer your question, I refuse to subscribe to a jingoistic sense of identity. Bremont marketing panders to those who do and to Top Gun/Bear Grylls fetishists.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Had a little end-of-week livener, have you? To answer your question, I refuse to subscribe to a jingoistic sense of identity. Bremont marketing panders to those who do and to Top Gun/Bear Grylls fetishists.
    Really?

You post at this time of night with that kind of posture in the post whilst having a pop at somebody.

What is wrong with you and others throwing rocks on the public part of the forum that is supposed to be for people to enjoy watches?.

Master
    Hi Chris, it’s still late afternoon here. I don’t like their marketing. It’s contrived. Their watches are too large for me. When people take straw man positions in response to my posts, I reserve the right to respond accordingly.

Hi Chris, it’s still late afternoon here. I don’t like their marketing. It’s contrived. Their watches are too large for me. When people take straw man positions in response to my posts, I reserve the right to respond accordingly.
    You may not, others are not bothered. Breitling are no different, neither are Omega in certain aspects.

Because forum posts are like texts (linear and faceless for most) they often provoke responses that are not warranted or appropriate. Watch Talk was never like this and it should not be a place for some of what I have read - all IMHO of course.

For the record I like some of their range, have owned a P51 in the past and currently own none - I do not own any Rolex anymore (not likely to change anytime soon).

I would own another Bremont, but the bashing needs to be equitable across the other brands - It's rarely that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You may not, others are not bothered. Breitling are no different, neither are Omega in certain aspects.

Because forum posts are like texts (linear and faceless for most) they often provoke responses that are not warranted or appropriate. Watch Talk was never like this and it should not be a place for some of what I have read - all IMHO of course.

For the record I like some of their range, have owned a P51 in the past and currently own none - I do not own any Rolex anymore (not likely to change anytime soon).

I would own another Bremont, but the bashing needs to be equitable across the other brands - It's rarely that.
    I’m one of those who doesn’t give two hoots about their marketing. What’s important to me is that I like some of their range and the Broadsword will likely be my next watch. Can’t see what all the fuss is about tbh .

Master
    It’s certainly true that a lot of watch marketing is contrived and that some brands get away with it more than others.

In regard to this thread, perhaps the way that the OP was structured set the subsequent posts up for a wider range of discussion than intended. Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Nick didn't actually say he was a Free French pilot, he said he flew in the Free French in the second world war. In what capacity that was we don't know, we are all assuming that Antoine Bremont was a Free French pilot because that's what was inferred.

In marketing speak "He flew in the Free French" could mean anything from he once cadged a lift on a flight to him being a fully fledged pilot!
    Has anyone actually asked them for more details of this inspirational farmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    For people who did not serve in the armed forces, is it 10%, 15%, or 20% more that they need to pay for a Bremont?

Asking for a friend.
    Bremont confirmed to me that forces and ex-forces personnel get 20% discount and you have to email them.

Quote Originally Posted by DWK View Post
    I suspect not, as no one really cares how they came up with a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I suspect not, as no one really cares how they came up with a brand name.
    The brothers seem to care enough to create the narrative.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I stand corrected, the brothers and you care, but no one else.

Right. Hence the decor in their Mayfair shop. You’re right, nobody cares about marketing. Companies love throwing money away, the more the merrier.
    Keep telling yourself your choices are made based on your own needs and tastes, and are not affected by what the brand’s choice of projection. You’ll probably believe it.

Right. Hence the decor in their Mayfair shop. You’re right, nobody cares about marketing. Companies love throwing money away, the more the merrier.
    Keep telling yourself your choices are made based on your own needs and tastes, and are not affected by what the brand’s choice of projection. You’ll probably believe it.
    Self-marketing

I didn’t say that. I said no one cares about the brand name. Do you check the back history of Lidl, or Aldi, or perhaps you look up the history behind the Omega name? You obviously don’t like Bremont, in an almost weird obsessive way which is fine. I don’t mind their marketing though it hasn’t influenced me to buy one of their watches. I only own one and that had nothing to do with marketing...if you look at the watch I’ve got that will be obvious. That said, I like the vibe and the decor and all the rest of it. I don’t like lots of brands...do I obsessively research and critique their brand names and marketing decisions...no...because I couldn’t care less as those brands of no interest to me. Each to their own I suppose.

I only care about the name because they used the storyline. Neither Lidl nor Omega did.

Craftsman
    I could create a brand called Saint-Just. Doesn’t mean I need to wheel you out in front of the cameras and have a Wikipedia page for you.

What if Mr Bremont or his family didn’t want the exposure?

I only care about the name because they used the storyline. Neither Lidl nor Omega did.
    Maybe drop them an email expressing you concerns, their customer service is 👍🏻

I didn’t say that. I said no one cares about the brand name. Do you check the back history of Lidl, or Aldil?
    Weird example - Maybe I missed it but Lidl in their marketing do not in their stores have complex stories about how the founder crashed in a field in Germany and had a non-branded chocolate bar with Herman Lidl, a veteran of the second world war?

Weird example - Maybe I missed it but Lidl in their marketing do not in their stores have complex stories about how the founder crashed in a field in Germany and had a non-branded chocolate bar with Herman Lidl, a veteran of the second world war?
    🥱😴

You obviously don’t like Bremont, in an almost weird obsessive way which is fine.
    As the lefties say, they have to be "called out".

Interesting POV S-J.

I often think that companies do throw money away with their advertising as, from personal experience, I specifically avoid products where I find the ads OTT, silly or clearly aimed at the impressionable, (gullible?) - which IMO comprises most ads. But it clearly works, or they wouldn't do it, (unless the marketeers are better at marketing themselves to senior management than the product they are trying to sell to the public).
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

They are usually good at marketing themselves, undoubtedly.
    online shopping allow a very precise measure of any marketing campaign; and ad on TV, or on the radio, a page advert in a magazine, a banner on some websites, an Adwords campaign...

It’s certainly true that a lot of watch marketing is contrived and that some brands get away with it more than others.

In regard to this thread, perhaps the way that the OP was structured set the subsequent posts up for a wider range of discussion than intended. Or not?

the OP was intentionally vague, as i wanted to get the feeing of the brand perception in the forum and compare it to mine.

i guess i achieved my goal, albeit i wouldn't want to draw any conclusion on the perception i have of the brand

Franz Lidl actually. Bought a clock and a bar of fruit and nut off him last week.

Does a good line in organic potatoes from his field as well.

Just read a load of messages from people who do seem to care too....🤷*♂️

The brothers also operate quite a successful vintage plane restoration business (the aviation connection is real enough)
    So it is also perfectly possible that he shop fit accessories, including ejection seats as well as other bits of planes came to the company considerably cheaper than they might to other mere mortals not in the game.
    So the marketing budget for the boutique shop fit may surprise you for being less than you might believe.
    D

Apart from being interested in planes and watches, there is no link worthy of trying to pretend they are anywhere near Omega or IWC.

They are pretenders.

It is like having been to Le Mans each year, been to the Grand Prix and having had some sports cars I could create a ‘motorsport’ brand. I hope these guys well but let’s not suggest they have any serious links or serious heritage. It’s all false, and they are just starting to create it.
    Last edited by TAFKARM; 12th January 2020 at 16:27.

Master
    Ten pages since I last checked this thread - I don't need to read it all to conclude that the brand polarises. My take on it is that it's easy to dismiss marketing as irrelevant fluff, but it may be more realistic to see both the marketing and the history of the brand as part of the whole proposition, as the marketing and history inevitably colour your perception of the physical object. For this reason people are justifiably sniffy about the idea of inventing history. New brands know they need history and a brand story, so why not just make it up? But if that story is part of how we perceive the watch, then a fake story means a fake watch.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument about how 'made up' the Bremont marketing is, but there's certainly the feeling of invented history to the brand story, even if they’re pretty open about it. It’s not necessarily wrong, you could say it's a modern phenomenon to embrace the creative freedom of inventing a brand with its own aesthetic and history out of thin air, and why shouldn't you. Victoria's Secret invented an ideal customer called Victoria. But it's harder with watches, as we tend to value the genuine history of ancient watch brands and their historical achievements and faded glamour, as wearing mechanical watches is a fundamentally nostalgic pastime. It's a little unfair, as only brands with that genuine history can authentically play that nostalgia card, but that's just how it is.

It's the same with faux aged lume - we may love faded lume the colour of Earl Grey tea, but modern lume tinted just the same colour makes us feel uncomfortable. A modern yet nostalgic brand feels the same, you can't fool yourself in the end. On the one hand, I'd defend the creative freedom to make and wear watches with any aesthetic you please, but faux nostalgia will never have quite the same flavour as the real thing.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th January 2020 at 17:31.

Craftsman
    They seat is to promote the Martin Baker tie up, to promote their most successful piece, it’s absolutely appropriate to have in a boutique and is a valid marketing technique, since testing of the watch involved testing its endurance against the forces of being shot out of a plane!

In terms of Omega, there’s a valid argument as to whether that’s as toe curling as the landing ship that the anniversary piece comes attached to........

Personally, I like both and see the fun in the experience of buying a watch, if it was just the watch, it would be pretty boring all round

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Apart from being interested in planes and watches, there is no link worthy of trying to pretend they are anywhere near Omega or IWC.

They are pretenders.
    To be fair one has a fictional character as it’s main selling point the other has an unknown character as it’s. The third has a less then pleasant connection to WW2 hardly something to scream and shout about.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    To be fair one has a fictional character as it’s main selling point the other has an unknown character as it’s. The third has a less then pleasant connection to WW2 hardly something to scream and shout about.
    Let’s get it straight.

Omega and IWC have a REAL history with the British Armed Forces.

Omega only supplied Allies in WW2 and has supplied tens of thousands of watches to the MOD.

Also just check out the models IWC have supplied and both are in the Dirty Dozen.

That’s real history, with real servicemen in real wars.

These Bremont guys are trying to hang onto these companies and build a business on the back of them.

This is nothing to do with Bond etc, but even so at least British service personal have been issued with an Omega and not just though some modern marketing ploy but when it mattered.

Let’s get it straight.

Omega only supplied Allies in WW2 and has supplied tens of thousands of watches to the MOD.

Also just check out the models IWC have supplied and both are in the Dirty Dozen.

These Bremont guys are trying to hang onto these companies and build a business on the back of them.

This is nothing to do with Bond etc, but even so at least British service personal have been issued with an Omega and not just though some modern marketing ploy but when it mattered.
    Have you served in the armed forces?

Blog Entries
    Have you served in the armed forces?
    Is it a requirement?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Let’s get it straight.

Maybe Omega and IWC should give me a massive discount for all the real wars I've been in then. They don't - Bremont do though :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Maybe Omega and IWC should give me a massive discount for all the real wars I've been in then. They don't - Bremont do though :D
    You mercenary!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is it a requirement?
    I didn’t say it was.

I hope these guys well but let’s not suggest they have any serious links or serious heritage. It’s all false, and they are just starting to create it.
    Is there any suggestion that they have any 'serious links' or 'serious heritage'? They're a company that is less than 20 years old making (very good) watches. They're not trying to be anything else. The founders have an interest in vintage vehicles, both planes and cars and that's where the designs of the watches come from. Nothing more complicated than that.

Blog Entries
    I didn’t say it was.
    I know, that's why I asked.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I’m going to order the new Bremont RAF ‘wings’ watch that they are about to make.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I’m going to order the new Bremont RAF ‘wings’ watch that they are about to make.
    That one sounds pretty tragic. Have you got a link/pic?

Blog Entries

On completion of flying training and award of Wings most people used to buy Breitling Aerospace from Andrew Michaels, doesn’t seem to be that popular any more now they are £3750!!

Obviously you can only buy this if you are serving aircrew and it has your service number on the back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post

On completion of flying training and award of Wings most people used to buy Breitling Aerospace from Andrew Michaels, doesn’t seem to be that popular any more now they are £3750!!

Obviously you can only buy this if you are serving aircrew and it has your service number on the back.
    I like the look of that. Certainly not “tragic” in any sense of the word!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Ten pages since I last checked this thread - I don't need to read it all to conclude that the brand polarises. My take on it is that it's easy to dismiss marketing as irrelevant fluff, but it may be more realistic to see both the marketing and the history of the brand as part of the whole proposition, as the marketing and history inevitably colour your perception of the physical object. For this reason people are justifiably sniffy about the idea of inventing history. New brands know they need history and a brand story, so why not just make it up? But if that story is part of how we perceive the watch, then a fake story means a fake watch.

Now, I don't want to get into an argument about how 'made up' the Bremont marketing is, but there's certainly the feeling of invented history to the brand story, even if they’re pretty open about it. It’s not necessarily wrong, you could say it's a modern phenomenon to embrace the creative freedom of inventing a brand with its own aesthetic and history out of thin air, and why shouldn't you. Victoria's Secret invented an ideal customer called Victoria. But it's harder with watches, as we tend to value the genuine history of ancient watch brands and their historical achievements and faded glamour, as wearing mechanical watches is a fundamentally nostalgic pastime. It's a little unfair, as only brands with that genuine history can authentically play that nostalgia card, but that's just how it is.

It's the same with faux aged lume - we may love faded lume the colour of Earl Grey tea, but modern lume tinted just the same colour makes us feel uncomfortable. A modern yet nostalgic brand feels the same, you can't fool yourself in the end. On the one hand, I'd defend the creative freedom to make and wear watches with any aesthetic you please, but faux nostalgia will never have quite the same flavour as the real thing.
    Excellent take on the watch proposition and the role of history faux or genuine in the marketing mix.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    That one sounds pretty tragic. Have you got a link/pic?
    They have a flyer in every crew room under the sun. There is WSOp variant too.
    Last edited by Middo; 13th January 2020 at 12:55.

Craftsman
    Bremont confirmed to me that forces and ex-forces personnel get 20% discount and you have to email them.
    I wish I’d known that when I bought my Solo....I could have saved a few quid.

Master
    When I bought my Royal Navy Medical Services Bremont Alt-1c I got around 50% discount compared to the standard Alt-1c. I thought that was pretty cool, watch was too big for me though...

The brothers E. have told us:

"It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer."

https://www.bremont.com/pages/about-bremont

Master
    Met them at Fairford in their early days. As memory serves their narrative about their offerings sounded a bit cringey then.
    How many are wearing an MB that haven't had that experience, doesn't it feel a bit cringey, a bit false, a bit Walter Mitty?
    I like some of their designs but I choose not to fund their lifestyle or perpetuate their brand on cringey pseudo history(that'll show 'em ;-)).
    If you wear a watch that celebrates a personal achievement or part of your own military history then fair enough but the brand itself I find quite false and to be using manufactured associations to create wealth.
    All of the below apply.
    "over priced military limited editions"
    "faux heritage branding"
    "irrelevant tie-ins"
    "marketing bull and it is a bit cringe"
    "false representation of historical glories. Added to this that Bremont had no relationship with this past"
    "cheating about their in house movement BS..."
    "they just come across as businessmen who saw a gap in the market and an opportunity to make some serious money"
    "I feel their fake heritage switches my interest right off"
    "Another vote for the dislike of fake heritage."
    "Bremont portrays itself as an integral part of British military equipment both in the past and today. It transpires that this assertion is, in fact, bollocks"
    "the whole British Armed Forces association has always been obviously phoney and a bit embarrassing, bordering on naff."
    "If they wanted to play on ‘British Military history’ then they should have resurrected a brand that has that history. Instead it sounds like some fake French ale made up by some snowflakes."
    "The history of apparent dishonesty and silly gimmicks dissuades me from Bremont."