closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Hi,

like most of us here i live in the UK, and for once we have a brand which marketing strongly flags their watches to be made in Britain..

(whether what they do makes it a true statement or not is irrelevant now)

..and i feel that should be a factor.. or a box ticked if you like.. that makes us like this brand.

on a personal note, i think they're also beautifully designed watches, albeit with an off the shelf movement in it.. so..

why don't we all have a Bremont?

I'm asking as i want to be talked in/out of buying one..

Thank you, Claudio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ive had two..
    And the design is a bit sameish across all of them for me, too much marketing and not enough watch.. I will revisit them one day but the over priced military limited editions and numerous bits of metal infused does not tick the box for me.. you can get a Sinn with a top grade ETA for a lot less

They just do absolutely nothing for me.
    I don’t like the design at all. In the price bracket I’d rather buy Tudor.

Any number of reasons: design, size, price, irrelevant (to me at least) tie-ins and marketing, ...

Master
    I don’t do Little Britain mentality and frankly don’t like the faux heritage branding.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve had 4 over the last few years, currently got 2, I like them, don’t buy any of the marketing bull and it is a bit cringe, but the watches are excellent, they are a bit samey when you look at the alt range, and I dislike the day/date movement models but it is rare that you hit jackpot with one of your first designs MB

I loved pitch’s Wright flyer!!!

Don’t understand the hate reallly

Interesting. I almost started a similar thread a few days ago.

I’m a big fan of ‘British’ made. Clothing, shoes, etc. Whether or not that’s actually the case with Bremont is debatable and might be partly responsible for me not having one in my collection. The marketing is definitely a bit ‘meh’ but I just find it humorous, rather than off putting. I like the design of a lot of their watches though but agree with others re some degree of sameness. I’ve only ever seen one dealer with a large display of their watches and have to admit many looked very, very similar. I don’t think they are unique in that respect but maybe more than most? The ones I really like are also based on a case size that is just too big for me.

So, overall, much as I’d like one and I will keep an eye out for one at some point, it’s just not quite what I want right now.

With recent political developments some of us are shamed by Britishness or more specifically the portrayal of a specific type of Britishness that lives in the past and is based on a false representation of historical glories. Added to this that Bremont had no relationship with this past as it didn't even exist so it comes across as naff. Oh and also the fact you'd need your head tested if you went for a Supermarine over an Omega Seamaster 300.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think those of us who like them do.

As much as I agree with Ryan’s comment on the Seamaster above, once you have a Seamaster, or indeed a box full of them, then why not try something else.

Some of their designs work, and in this watch world we live in, even look unique - I only have one at present, but would like another if the right model/price comes up I’ll buy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I don’t do Little Britain mentality and frankly don’t like the faux heritage branding.

You forgot the cheating about their in house movement BS...

Have an MB2 orange in the collection and move on.

Forget the price ( bit hopeful)

This is Bremont to me.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bremont-M...e594%7Ciid%3A1

If you like it you like it........

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    You forgot the LYING about their in house movement BS...
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think those of us who like them do.....once you have a Seamaster, or indeed a box full of them, then why not try something else.

Funny, in the last 2 weeks I have bought a new seamaster and another bremont. A few years ago I hadn’t even looked at bremonts at all but i’m glad I have. Having been on the factory tour I like what they do even more. I now own one of the early Swiss made made norton bremonts released in 2009, and have recently added one of the 62 iom TT watches bremont made as they became official timing partner of the TT this year. Love the look and limited run on both of these, i’ll Be very very unlikely to ever bump in to someone wearing one of these. I can’t say that about my seamaster or Submariner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Funny, in the last 2 weeks I have bought a new seamaster and another bremont. A few years ago I hadn’t even looked at bremonts at all but i’m glad I have. Having been on the factory tour I like what they do even more. I now own one of the early Swiss made made norton bremonts released in 2009, and have recently added one of the 62 iom TT watches bremont made as they became official timing partner of the TT this year. Love the look and limited run on both of these, i’ll Be very very unlikely to ever bump in to someone wearing one of these. I can’t say that about my seamaster or Submariner.
    Agree.

Some don’t appreciate that others have different tastes and don’t want to follow the herd (Seamaster vs Supermarine).

There are probably 2-3 models of Bremont I’d own. The rest of the range are fairly bland.

You can’t ignore the big following Bremont have.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    FTFY
    Thnx...

Master
    When I think of Bremont, I always think 'fur coat and no knickers'

Sensible raincoat, more like

I love this watch, and hope it always stays with me.

IMG_9852.JPG

Whatever you may think they are very well made - and they have invested heavily in bringing watchmaking back into the UK

I have had one of the boeing chronos - and its easily one of the nicest decorated 7750 movements I habe owned.

Though some cringe at the marketing in this day and age if you dont have some angle then your brand is lost amongst the herd. Bremont have seemed to moved into and taken over from Breitling with their links to military units.. I suspect their willingness to create customised short runs has helped unlike most other watch brand ( though zeniths partnership with Bamford is a rare example)

Its good to see a british brand doing well around the globe!

The inhouse movement fiasco though news at the time is hardly news in the industry - it seems most
    movements are based on some platform or third party who help the watch brands create a new calibre.

Look at Tag with the inhouse movement was one
    licensed from seiko - or IWC’s models used in the new spitfire range which are still based on the eta base calibres.

cheers

matt

tbh the in house for me is one purely to lock the consumers into the brand eco system and away from the proven base platforms like ETA.

Craftsman
    I like the fact they are British and built in Henley.

I bought my Jaguar Mk1 as i have a similar Car and really liked the design, it is a quality piece but i wouldnt have paid full retail. I got it 25 or 30% off. I then bought a used Mk3 at a bargain price to wear on a regular basis.

I'm not sure i would have another in my collection though. I do find the marketing a bit cringeworthy, a limited edition released every week. Just how many watches do you want with a tiny piece of an old wreck inside it.

Craftsman
    I own four Bremont’s, well made quality watches that you either get, or you don’t, and that’s fine as there are a lot of manufacturers in the price bracket that I wouldn’t go near either.

The Alt1 is a classic chrono, the MB range is the signature Bremont and I also bought a S300 as the proportions are totally different and I enjoy wearing it.

As for the marketing, I find it a little OTT...but look at Omega, limited editions of 7,000 watches (!), moon watches when I’m not convinced Neil and Buzz were actually there or the Bond special editions.....go to other brands like Tudor and your ambassador is Beckham and Lady Gaga, every brand has their faults!

Anyway, I will also be buying a U2-51 in the new year, as again, I like it and it’s really well finished, in the meantime, here’s the collection

Master
    For me it can be as simple as I don’t like the branding, and I don’t mean brand heritage.

If a brand name doesn’t look appealing to me I wouldn’t consider it. Again, I don’t mean brand snobbery I mean the actual look of the logo. Worst for me being Orient with the cigarette company logo. But Bremont I just don’t like the look of, if I can’t get past that then it’s a no go.

I’ve had a few and the quality of all of them has been excellent. I even preferred the Supermarine to my Sub at the time. Unlike most I was never put off by the marketing campaigns that I always thought were on point for a very British brand that was trying to make that point.
    However, as time has gone on I’ve lost interest in them. The latest bunch of limited editions with artwork that my dog could better were a joke and don’t fit in with the brand image at all. What puts me off now is that all of the marketing seems to centre around Nick and Giles. I don’t want video messages from them all the time telling me how to enjoy my life or letting me know what makes Christmas special to them. It might be different if they were watchmakers talking about their passion, but to me they just come across as businessmen who saw a gap in the market and an opportunity to make some serious money.

The same question could also be asked of Christopher Ward. When they first started they were producing excellent watches that cost ten times less than Swiss brands of the same quality. As they’ve become more successful the prices have now increased a lot but they still represent good value, yet have never met with much respect here.

Master
    It is an interesting brand. However all the limited edition seems a bit OTT. How about a Ronnie Wood?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    For me it can be as simple as I don’t like the branding, and I don’t mean brand heritage.

If a brand name doesn’t look appealing to me I wouldn’t consider it. Again, I don’t mean brand snobbery I mean the actual look of the logo. Worst for me being Orient with the cigarette company logo. But Bremont I just don’t like the look of, if I can’t get past that then it’s a no go.
    Perfectly reasonable. The logo has a pretty significant role to play in the overall looks of a watch imo. Just look at the whole CW fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    With recent political developments some of us are shamed by Britishness or more specifically the portrayal of a specific type of Britishness that lives in the past and is based on a false representation of historical glories. Added to this that Bremont had no relationship with this past as it didn't even exist so it comes across as naff. Oh and also the fact you'd need your head tested if you went for a Supermarine over an Omega Seamaster 300.

Absolutely this. Spot on.

I quite like them

If your watches are powered by 3rd part movements, something there is no shame in for a young company like Bremont , then what you have got to go for is good design, and not get too ambitious with price. Overall I think they are too expensive, but in design terms the MB2 is quite brilliant.

I would echo the advice of get an orange MB2, and that’s Bremont done.

The dive watches are generic and not good value compared with Omega and Tudor. The ALT-C/Z series are good, but need 2mm off their diameter, and a more realistic price

Dave

Oh and also the fact you'd need your head tested if you went for a Supermarine over an Omega Seamaster 300.
    Nailed it.

It is indeed disappointing to see how Britons view Brenont.

Purely from a horological point of view, Bremont Supermarine makes it to my top five divers list. Current models, excluding BP,Panerais,JLC,AP

ROLEX Sub/SD
    Omega Seamaster
    Bremont Supermarine
    Seiko Marine master
    Oris Aquis 43 mm

Master
    Aside from the marketing bull i think they make good quality watches with interesting designs, would try a used one in the future

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it's all been said above but for me the things putting me off are

No desire for the brand
    Too big
    Too bling
    Priced in line with other stuff which is more my cup of tea

They don't offend me or anything but you have to want any watch let alone one costing £000's

Journeyman
    I do like some of the Bremont watches especially the chronos but and it's a big but, they're in the same price category as omega, tudor and to some degree rolex.. I wouldn't overlook any of these to get a bremont

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Hi,

like most of us here i live in the UK, and for once we have a brand which marketing strongly flags their watches to be made in Britain..

(whether what they do makes it a true statement or not is irrelevant now)

..and i feel that should be a factor.. or a box ticked if you like.. that makes us like this brand.

on a personal note, i think they're also beautifully designed watches, albeit with an off the shelf movement in it.. so..

why don't we all have a Bremont?

I'm asking as i want to be talked in/out of buying one..

Thank you, Claudio.

They've always looked a little bland to me. Nothing against them, and can see they're well made and seem to have a good following.

I'd love to see them create something a little out there / special. Mostly because, as you say, it's made over here and we should probably like them more than we do because of that...

Craftsman
    I just can’t get past the marketing. It’s one of the very few brands whose name I can’t go beyond, because I feel their fake heritage switches my interest right off.

I don’t own a Bremont and am unlikely to. However based on fleeting glances during lightening forays in to the Bentall’s centre in Kingston (not a place to hover), I think the Bremonts in Chisholm Hunter scrub up quite well in comparison to displays of other brands. What does strike me, bearing in mind what they are selling, is how drab and unappealing the displays and stores like Chisholm Hunter and Fraser Hart are.

I sincerely think that this awful brand will not stand the test of time

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I just can’t get past the marketing. It’s one of the very few brands whose name I can’t go beyond, because I feel their fake heritage switches my interest right off.
    My thoughts as well

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    I sincerely think that this awful brand will not stand the test of time
    They’re already established, this isn’t Kickstarter. Once they get the in house movement developed, a lot of cautious potential buyers will be tempted

But thanks for your carefully detailed critique all the same

I have two, one for sale.

I love the case design. I think the first Supermarine was brilliant, love the crown guard.

I have a Submariner and the new Seamaster.

Would I buy a new Bremont? No, used however they are a good option.

I dont care about marketing, I like well made watches.

I think it’s interesting how A watch brand can evoke such strong emotion. There are brands I completely look over and look past, there are brands I would probably never buy because I can’t afford them, but I never say never. Take longines as an example, a brand I would always ignore, but then they released the legend diver and the 1973 which both really appealed.

Like I said earlier with bremont, I never really noticed them but then I bought a norton motorbike and stumbled across the brand. I then did the factory tour and admired their pursuit of quality and their ambition. Then I just look at some of the designs and really like quite a few of them. I think they’re getting it right. If we all liked the same brand and only the same it would be a very boring hobby.

Craftsman

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Another vote for the dislike of fake heritage.

Craftsman
    Why is it fake?

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Why is it fake?

Because Bremont portrays itself as an integral part of British military equipment both in the past and today. It transpires that this assertion is, in fact, bollocks

Craftsman
    Would suggest that through it’s Special Projects with a whole host of international military forces that it has earned the right to make a big deal about that? Suspect it sells more watches to active service personnel than most other brands.

Some of the recent stuff, with the HMAF release wasn’t great.

Decent looking watches but none have appealed enough to fork out the £

Master
    I can enjoy the ‘Britishness’ of some of our brands, but no more than I enjoy the Japaneseness of Japanese brands or the Swiss history with ancient watch brands. In the case of Switzerland, it’s more about the history of the brands themselves than the country of origin or its culture, as nice as their mountains are.

Part of it is about enjoying genuine heritage and the way that’s created a unique aesthetic that has some historical depth. I’ve never been too interested in pretending to be a pilot from some bygone era though, and a relatively new brand playing with that aesthetic doesn’t quite create that nostalgic feeling anyway.

As far as the watches go, I like some of the dials in photos, but when I see the actual watches the feeling passes. The sizes / thicknesses mean they aren’t as appealing as I’d imagined. But that’s not a huge criticism as that applies to most modern watches by most brands. To me they often look overly bold and cartoonish, like more genuinely sophisticated vintage watches with ironic air quotes around them.

Because Bremont portrays itself as an integral part of British military equipment both in the past and today. It transpires that this assertion is, in fact, bollocks

Ryan - you sound like someone who has found out the truth about Santa, surely this is not news

You were one of the biggest defenders or Bremont in other threads - what’s changed?

I quite like Bremont, the whole British thing doesn't bother me I have lived abroad for years and come across plenty of nauseating OTT nationalism/patriotism and really dont think we are doing anything especially over the top if anything we must be one of the few nations on earth that shy away from our own past. That aside they do make very nice watches the thing that puts me off in some ways is similar to Breitling. The retail price doesnt seem to be anywhere near close to the actual value of the watch and they seem to be almost first on the list on sale. Some of their designs seem a bit bland there doesnt seem to be anything that really stands out.