closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You may want to check your info on Nomos in-house movements. Just saying.

And I am not sure if you maybe should read the whole post again as it sounds a bit confused...?
    I'm feeling a bit confused this evening tbh.

What's the deal with Nomos' in-house movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I'm feeling a bit confused this evening tbh.

What's the deal with Nomos' in-house movements?
    It's a bit difficult to say from what time exactly Nomos went to in-house movements, but I would say a comparable situation as Bremont has now - where they are using a foreign IP and are adding some improvements to it - was reached by Nomos already in 1993, about one year after they introduced their first watches to the market. In 2004 and 2005 they introduced their in-house designed movements (manual and automatic) and from 2014 they introduced the DUW movements with the Nomos-Swing-System.

This document (in German) describes the development from the Peseux movement to their in-house calibres.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

40mm and 12.5 thick, I really like the look of that but that’s a lot of cash

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ture-movement/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by omegasteve View Post
    40mm and 12.5 thick, I really like the look of that but that’s a lot of cash

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...ture-movement/

Oh wow yes, that is very punchy indeed.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of their ADs dropped them in the next 12-24 months.

£15k for a steel Bremont on leather or £21k-£22k in precious metal. Unsellable.

£19k for a white gold Stephen Hawking watch on leather.

£39k for a white gold Ronnie Wood watch which looks like it was designed by a kid using crayons.

Bremont are a joke.

Blog Entries
    Well done Bremont. I will watch with interest. Good on boys for investing in UK watchmaking
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th October 2021 at 22:50.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

A step forward for sure. I’m glad they have found a way forwards on their movement goals albeit not the coveted ‘in house movement’

I agree on the pricing comments. Way too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Prices seem very high ,how many people will be buying at that price when there is so many alternatives around

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if some of their ADs dropped them in the next 12-24 months.

£39k for a white gold Ronnie Wood watch which looks like it was designed by a kid using crayons.

Bremont are a joke.
    And I'll put my money on the fact that all are sold (vs 'unsellable'). As the owner of a rose gold Bremont Codebreaker, an Alt 1C-PB and several military special editions, I may be biased but, I would argue, realistic. Why do you believe some of their ADs would drop them at any higher rate than ADs drop any other brand? I would have thought that ADs would be far more likely to give up on Rolex as their windows are bare. In Cheltenham the Rolex dealer hasn't had anything meaningful in the window for over two years and currently just 4 watches that nobody wants to buy.
    Last edited by Skier; 20th October 2021 at 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    And I'll put my money on the fact that all are sold (vs 'unsellable'). As the owner of a rose gold Bremont Codebreaker, an Alt 1C-PB and several military special editions, I may be biased but, I would argue, realistic. Why do you believe some of their ADs would drop them at any higher rate than ADs drop any other brand?
    I was on the WoS website checking what's in stock in stores and they genuinely have the near £40k white gold Ronnie Wood watches in stock at some stores.

Bremont make some interesting looking watches and have a great story on the military side but they have got to be off their rocker with this stuff. Is their business model relying on people buying this stuff to be allocated a steel Daytona?

How long would you hold a this amount of super expensive unsold stock before tapping out? WoS must have a 2 year terms account with Bremont or the ability to throw it back to the brand if unsold after 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    And I'll put my money on the fact that all are sold (vs 'unsellable'). As the owner of a rose gold Bremont Codebreaker, an Alt 1C-PB and several military special editions, I may be biased but, I would argue, realistic. Why do you believe some of their ADs would drop them at any higher rate than ADs drop any other brand? I would have thought that ADs would be far more likely to give up on Rolex as their windows are bare. In Cheltenham the Rolex dealer hasn't had anything meaningful in the window for over two years and currently just 4 watches that nobody wants to buy.
    I don’t understand are these watches going to be very limited series? I.e. less than 1000 pieces? Because I get it, then.. there’s enough people whom like yourself like the brand and are willing to pay the price (maybe).

On the other hand, I don’t think there’s thousandS of people who share the same view of the brand like you do. Even less, who have the pockets deep enough for it.

Best Regards
    Claudio

Bremont are a joke.
    A joke that is selling 10000 watches a year and just spent millions on a new HQ in the UK?
    In regard to the new watch, the white golds are selling very well. I agree that the stainless steel seems excessive but there’s a lot of work in the new movement so it’s really whether the individual buyer can justify it and not what the market dictates.
    As far as the Ronnie Wood watches are concerned, they’re an anomaly. For some reason Ronnie Wood commands huge prices fir his artwork but trying to replicate that in a watch was always going to be a struggle.

Props to Bremont for making significant progress on movement front.
    People can sit here all day and night and cry about their prices but their ‘prestige’ models probably made in small numbers do get sold and don’t languish on ADs’ shelves. There is a definite market for them though most of us may not be a part of that market. By all accounts they seem to be doing quite well for themselves as their investments in their field shows. Probably pursuing a different model than folks here like but it is their prerogative.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Props to Bremont for making significant progress on movement front.
    People can sit here all day and night and cry about their prices but their ‘prestige’ models probably made in small numbers do get sold and don’t languish on ADs’ shelves. There is a definite market for them though most of us may not be a part of that market. By all accounts they seem to be doing quite well for themselves as their investments in their field shows. Probably pursuing a different model than folks here like but it is their prerogative.
    Fair enough!

I was on the WoS website checking what's in stock in stores and they genuinely have the near £40k white gold Ronnie Wood watches in stock at some stores.

Bremont make some interesting looking watches and have a great story on the military side but they have got to be off their rocker with this stuff. Is their business model relying on people buying this stuff to be allocated a steel Daytona?

How long would you hold a this amount of super expensive unsold stock before tapping out? WoS must have a 2 year terms account with Bremont or the ability to throw it back to the brand if unsold after 1 year.
    I have no idea what this rambling means. I also have no interest in the Ronnie Wood watches as I posted in the thread on them. As someone who has just purchased a white gold Rolex GMT Mater II Pepsi (116719BLRO) the cost/price is all about what someone is prepared to pay for a particular item. I won't be buying a Bremont Longitude watch as I'm not keen on the design, the rose gold version being the best to my eye, but not worth it to me. However, I guarantee they'll sell in short order.

Master
    Blog Entries

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Should have their own thread bout love the pano date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Middo; 21st October 2021 at 00:24.

Craftsman
    I like Bremont and have owned several in the past. My current ‘nice’ watch is an S300. This is the direction I wanted to see them headed in. Their efforts though are let down by their fanciful pricing. They said they want to bring watchmaking home and they might well do it but only the very few will be able to afford it.

That said, hopefully their efforts gain some traction and we start to see more in-house movements trickle down into more accessible pieces.

I had a S500 and it was a nice watch at a reasonable price but some of their special addition stuff is simply too expensive. I popped in to my local ad a while back now when the H4 was just released and the guy I normally see chatted about it for quite a while whilst it was being shown to someone else. The way he described it I was almost handing my wallet to him before even seeing it but when I finally did disappointment wasn’t the word. I wouldn’t have bought it if it was 4K let alone nearly 10. Considering only 300 of the SS were made it was still there until very recently and probably still is now.....tells you what you need to know
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 21st October 2021 at 01:09.

More limited edition, precious metal releases, strengthening their market position as the rich man's Christopher Ward.

Ugh.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    IMO, Christopher Ward has been hitting some of its recent designs out of the park. I know they are in different price leagues, but CW also appears to be more technically innovative than Bremont.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    IMO, Christopher Ward has been hitting some of its recent designs out of the park. I know they are in different price leagues, but CW also appears to be more technically innovative than Bremont.
    With regards to Bremonts claim of the first British manufactured movement at scale in 50 years, surely Christopher Ward has been doing that or are their movements manufactured in Switzerland?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think kudos for Bremont are deserved with their level of transparency with regards the movement and the development and enhancement of the base calibre. It seems they learnt their lesson with the Wright Flyer and many other brands would be well served to take note.

What people need to understand is that these are the annual special limited editions their tend to do each each. They tend to be priced anywhere from £8k to 18k for the steel versions. This model has some old brass from the Greenwich Observatory as well as the new movement with big date and power reserve so while the price is ambitious they do seem to know their demographic and their editions tend to sell and hold value much better than their standard models.

I also noted in the many articles that Bremont state that this movement will go into some of the standard models later next year as they date they can make around 5000 movements and aim these to be in watches around £5k mark. That sounds a little more realistic if still the usual Bremont premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    With regards to Bremonts claim of the first British manufactured movement at scale in 50 years, surely Christopher Ward has been doing that or are their movements manufactured in Switzerland?

Christopher Ward merged with their Swiss movement atelier and so technically brought in their in-house movement. Interestingly, they also supply movements to other companies. Meistersinger is one company that uses the Chris Ward movements and charges a lot more than Chris Ward does for the same movement!

This was also around the time of Bremont’s Wright Flyer mess and I wonder if this put pressure on Bremont to make the claim they did?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Christopher Ward merged with their Swiss movement atelier and so technically brought in their in-house movement. Interestingly, they also supply movements to other companies. Meistersinger is one company that uses the Chris Ward movements and charges a lot more than Chris Ward does for the same movement!

This was also around the time of Bremont’s Wright Flyer mess and I wonder if this put pressure on Bremont to make the claim they did?
    Ah OK thanks for the clarification

Master
    Blog Entries
    My three

I think the movement looks great, the Longitude design not so much - far too many Breguet-esque design cues for my taste.

Hopefully we will see the movement in more down to earth watches.

I'm yet to see a Bremont model that excited me the slightest, and the hefty price tag doesn't help either.
    I will buy a 100 British military issued vintage swiss watches before I'd buy a Bremont to be honest..

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I think the movement looks great, the Longitude design not so much - far too many Breguet-esque design cues for my taste.

Which would immediately become more of a proposition if the prices remain sensible. Well, to me at least.

Craftsman
    Having recently been on the tour of their new facility in Henley on Thames, its given me a better insight into the brand and where they see themselves within the marketplace. They're certainly not trying to compete with the big boys, but clearly have a passion for bringing watchmaking to the UK which can only be a good thing.
    For processes currently outsourced, they use local businesses where they can. Again a good thing.

The current limited edition pieces aren't to my taste, but the movement looks well engineered and superbly finished so I'll be keeping an eye on upcoming releases.

Daft question, I can think of a few reasons: -

Because they couldn't make enough.

Because people prefer different things.

Because people can't afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    I'm yet to see a Bremont model that excited me the slightest, and the hefty price tag doesn't help either.
    I will buy a 100 British military issued vintage swiss watches before I'd buy a Bremont to be honest..
    And that’s why we have such a diverse watch market, everyone has different tastes. I’ve yet to see a British military issued vintage Swiss watch that excites me but why would it, like a car enthusiast commenting on a damn fine tank.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I’m sure that we will in time. Of course it’s a long ‘game’ and not a short one.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    More limited edition, precious metal releases, strengthening their market position as the rich man's Christopher Ward.

Ugh.
    Does that mean every time CW release a new watch they’re just strengthening their position as the middle management Bremont? They could quite happily release a precious metal watch but that would take them out of their marketing sector.
    I like CW watches but they’re so annoying with offer after offer after offer. It would be nice to see them set a price and stick to it.

I would rather have a Horage K2 GMT.

I’d rather drink bleach.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I just really don't get along with their soft looking rounded cases and lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    And that’s why we have such a diverse watch market, everyone has different tastes. I’ve yet to see a British military issued vintage Swiss watch that excites me but why would it, like a car enthusiast commenting on a damn fine tank.
    Oh yeah of course, don't get me wrong, i do respect different people having different tastes, it only makes our world more colourful and exciting. I think I have a taste that covers a wide variety of watch types, albeit i admit it's rather vintage heavy. And military heavy. So no surprises there. When I first heard about Bremont, i quite liked the idea to own a British brand, especially that Henley is quite close to our hearts, we go there every now and then. Really tried hard, but just couldn't see one that resonated with me. Perhaps a friendlier price tag would've helped more, but hey.. So in the spirit of owning something British, i went down the military rabbithole.. and most likely ended up spending several times a Bremont's price tag haha :D

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’d rather drink bleach.
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Ugh.
    You are so spot on. Nobody could put it better. When the right thing comes along we will all know when we see it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I just really don't get along with their soft looking rounded cases and lugs.
    You don't have the right wardrobe for one. You've never mentioned owning red trousers or a pinky ring.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You don't have the right wardrobe for one. You've never mentioned owning red trousers or a pinky ring.
    www.lookatmyf**kingredtrousers.blogspot.com

you'll need to replace the asterisks.

Fantastic website, always worth a click when it pops up!

We used to have somebody at work who wore red trousers every bl**dy Friday. The rest of the week he was in oversized double-breasted suits with brass buttons.

*full disclosure. I owned a pair of red Levis jeans in 1993/1994. I know.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    My three
    Congratulations 3 nice ones there. They look good too.

Is that the Bremont Owners' Club site?

I come from Oxfordshire. I've seen them in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    I’m the opposite - I admire designs that are not copies of the classic Rolex/Omega etc. The Bremont Martin Baker 1 in white face with orange casing trim is a totally individual look that I love. As I said before - they have even created their own take on casing/lugs.

I think Rolex and the chance to make money/never lose money - influences peoples’ preferences, either consciously or subconsciously.

But - that’s why they make chocolate AND vanilla!

(and strawberry)

And bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’d rather drink bleach.
    a bit of an extreme way to improve your taste.

a very silly sweeping generalisation that just goes to prove you have no clue what you’re talking about. Feel free to carry on though, every comment you make puts a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    a very silly sweeping generalisation that just goes to prove you have no clue what you’re talking about. Feel free to carry on though, every comment you make puts a smile on my face.
    Only dogs bite.