closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Master
    ^ did you forget lack of heritage ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don't forget, every Bre
    mont has a COSC certificate. Something you won't have with other watch companies using the Val. 7750. So, along with Trip-Tik case manufacture, a heavily modified 7750 & an official cert' from the Swiss Institute of chronometer testing, what have the 'English' brothers ever done for us, apart from some dodgy marketing?
    I don't give a monkeys about a 'field', a French farmer with a handy barn, it's the watch for me & I absolutely love mine, it gets so much wrist-time I'm thinking, do I need 12 watches?

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

That’s absolutely fine. Enjoy your watch.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It still beggars belief how much bile is directed at this brand.
    Look at the set of tirades above.
    Now have a think.
    Is all that really justified in being directed at 2 people who, from a very simple start, have set up a British watch company that within their first five or so years (more recent figures are no longer available, Rolex insisted on that) were in the top 20 number of COSC watches sold in a year, globally. And that was 5 years or so ago, their sales will have increased since then.
    A lot of their watch parts are made in the UK, and it is all assembled here, representing significant investment in UK plc as a whole.

And still some people take it as a personal insult that these 2 brothers have the afront to make the beginnings of a success of their business?
    How very dare they?

I mean - please - Choose "not to fund their lifestyle"?

How ridiculous does that sound? especially when compared to the alternatives of just exporting a much larger proportion of your money to fund the lifestyles of Swiss/German/Japanese or other folk like Georges Kerne and so forth.

All these words are in that 18 line post, in order.

cringey cringey false Walter Mitty cringey pseudo history false over priced faux irrelevant bull cringe false cheating BS fake dislike fake bollocks phoney embarrassing naff\fake dishonesty silly

That is an amazing amount of invective to aim at a watch company from this country.
    D

Blog Entries
    Met both of them a number of times and they are bloody nice guys with a passion for engineering, aviation, cars and watches, and they support a load of good causes. Fine by me.

Craftsman

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Met them at Fairford in their early days. As memory serves their narrative about their offerings sounded a bit cringey then.
    How many are wearing an MB that haven't had that experience, doesn't it feel a bit cringey, a bit false, a bit Walter Mitty?
    I like some of their designs but I choose not to fund their lifestyle or perpetuate their brand on cringey pseudo history(that'll show 'em ;-)).
    If you wear a watch that celebrates a personal achievement or part of your own military history then fair enough but the brand itself I find quite false and to be using manufactured associations to create wealth.
    All of the below apply.
    "over priced military limited editions"
    "faux heritage branding"
    "irrelevant tie-ins"
    "marketing bull and it is a bit cringe"
    "false representation of historical glories. Added to this that Bremont had no relationship with this past"
    "cheating about their in house movement BS..."
    "they just come across as businessmen who saw a gap in the market and an opportunity to make some serious money"
    "I feel their fake heritage switches my interest right off"
    "Another vote for the dislike of fake heritage."
    "Bremont portrays itself as an integral part of British military equipment both in the past and today. It transpires that this assertion is, in fact, bollocks"
    "the whole British Armed Forces association has always been obviously phoney and a bit embarrassing, bordering on naff."
    "If they wanted to play on ‘British Military history’ then they should have resurrected a brand that has that history. Instead it sounds like some fake French ale made up by some snowflakes."
    "The history of apparent dishonesty and silly gimmicks dissuades me from Bremont."
    Says the guy that probably owns a Moonwatch, but isn’t an astronaut

Owns a divers watch but doesn’t do scuba diving

Owns a GMT but never leaves the U.K. to use the complication

But hates Bremont as someone said they lied about a movement once, but had the time to quote every negative statement, how sad!

Publicity whether good or bad drives awareness, thank you fur your contribution!

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Met both of them a number of times and they are bloody nice guys with a passion for engineering, aviation, cars and watches, and they support a load of good causes. Fine by me.
    This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Now have a think.
    Is all that really justified in being directed at 2 people who, from a very simple start, have set up a British watch company that within their first five or so years (more recent figures are no longer available, Rolex insisted on that) were in the top 20 number of COSC watches sold in a year, globally. And that was 5 years or so ago, their sales will have increased since then.
    A lot of their watch parts are made in the UK, and it is all assembled here, representing significant investment in UK plc as a whole.

And still some people take it as a personal insult that these 2 brothers have the afront to make the beginnings of a success of their business?
    How very dare they?

How ridiculous does that sound? especially when compared to the alternatives of just exporting a much larger proportion of your money to fund the lifestyles of Swiss/German/Japanese or other folk like Georges Kerne and so forth.

cringey cringey false Walter Mitty cringey pseudo history false over priced faux irrelevant bull cringe false cheating BS fake dislike fake bollocks phoney embarrassing naff\fake dishonesty silly

That is an amazing amount of invective to aim at a watch company from this country.
    D
    All the above, really. I honestly don't understand the intensity of the dislike. Personally, I shall continue to wear and enjoy my Bremont, and keep regarding them as a brand worth following. As I believe the youngsters say: haters gon' hate.

Now have a think.

How very dare they?

D
    Speaking as someone who really is impartial on this issue, I think you've summed it up very well, Dave. I think they make some nice watches, actually, but for me I don't identify in any way whatsoever with the aviation thing and the result is that I'm somewhat alienated from the brand and it's positioning. I couldn't give a monkey's about the story, though, and think this a bit of a kerfuffle about nothing.

Oh, they're a bit too expensive as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Let’s get it straight.

Omega and IWC have a REAL history with the British Armed Forces.

Omega only supplied Allies in WW2 and has supplied tens of thousands of watches to the MOD.

Also just check out the models IWC have supplied and both are in the Dirty Dozen.

That’s real history, with real servicemen in real wars.

These Bremont guys are trying to hang onto these companies and build a business on the back of them.

This is nothing to do with Bond etc, but even so at least British service personal have been issued with an Omega and not just though some modern marketing ploy but when it mattered.
    Some good points, imho, although it's more complicated regarding support and supply during WW2. IWC supplied the German military almost exclusively until the outcome of the war became clear (and they were 'accidentally bombed'). Omega did supply the German military but very sparingly as did JLC, both were very pro UK in particular and allied. Much politics and pressure were involved. Breitling was also very pro-allied to the extent that Willi Breitling risked his life doing so.

In this regard I find (as I've noted before) IWC's spitfire branding incongruous and typifies an opportunistic but also organised approach to partially revise history in subtle but important ways.
    As to Bremont, they are 'trying' although I've not seen them make any revisionist historical claims.

As to the original question, I'm attracted to some of the designs but overall I just feel they try too hard with their marketing. Watches and companies / houses that are more understated are somehow more to my taste.
    Last edited by A.Pottinger; 16th January 2020 at 14:12. Reason: typo re: understanding to understated

Master
    Says the guy that probably owns a Moonwatch, but isn’t an astronaut
    no you're right I'm not, but then again I don't own a moonwatch either(anymore)

Owns a divers watch but doesn’t do scuba diving
    BSAC, used a Scurfa and a GShock

Owns a GMT but never leaves the U.K. to use the complication
    yes I do, but I use mine also to keep track of the time in another country

It's not all about me you know. And why are you attacking me, I've not made any of those claims, thought we were talking about Bremont. Check the previous postings.

But hates Bremont as someone said they lied about a movement once, but had the time to quote every negative statement, how sad!
    And you've just requoted them, maybe think it through first!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by K300; 16th January 2020 at 03:21.

Craftsman
    ‘Attacking’ you

Dry your eyes

Attacking a brand.

Dry your eyes
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    And right on cue he arrives

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    And right on cue he arrives

Master
    Attacking’ you

Dry your eyes
    You do seem to be a bit of a troll fella. the posting is about a brand, a company, calm down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    You do seem to be a bit of a troll fella. the posting is about a brand, a company, calm down.
    Yeah, I’m a troll, go and read your own post for the definition of trolling

Do you still feel attacked, petal?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Oh, they're a bit too expensive as well.
    Tbh I am finding all watches from the big brands now looking too expensive.

It was a lot more fun a decade ago... used to flip rolexes and tons of other brands all the time...

Sorry wandering off topic...

i did goto the forum tour of Bremont in Henley - fantastic facility and it was great to chat with the brothers.

Cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Bloody hell, Raffe! You have overtaken me on this thread. I’ll need to rectify that!

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

And here is the watch that was the source of all the hoohah about in house movements.

Some people see:

Lovely design, good movement but not in house but higher end with better finishing than ETA, some parts made in the UK, assembled in the UK, lovely link to some important history...

...but some people see

silly price, silly press release, no hacking seconds, 43mm, dull design, too thick etc

So basically the same as every other brand in the market. Some people like them and some don’t. That’s it’s guys. It doesn’t really matter how each group came to their decision.

D
    Well said.

I'm sure many of us have met Nick & Giles and found them to be genuinely nice guys.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I currently have a Solo and it’s a great watch. Simple, clean looking design.
    I don’t go in for all the marketing mumbo jumbo myself, I just buy watches on look, price etc.
    If you buy new you’d want to be certain it’s a keeper as the residuals are poor but if you buy second hand you can pick one up for a great price. Great customer too, as previously mentioned.
    Don’t get all this criticism about their strategy. Of course it’s gimmicky, they’re trying to sell watches.

Master
    "Yeah, I’m a troll, go and read your own post for the definition of trolling

Do you still feel attacked, petal?"

Are you OK princess? Seem to be getting bent out of shape over Bremont? Life's too short you know. It's only text on a watch topic on a watch forum. It's not real.

- - - Updated - - -

"Yeah, I’m a troll, go and read your own post for the definition of trolling

Do you still feel attacked, petal?"

Are you OK princess? Seem to be getting bent out of shape over Bremont? Life's too short you know. It's only text on a watch topic on a watch forum. It's not real.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post

Would I buy a new Bremont? No, used however they are a good option.
    This. Very poor residuals. Or very good ones. Depends if you're the buyer of the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    How do you create fake history?

Ask Rolex. "The first waterproof watch". NO. Pics of Hillary and Tenzing on the summit of Everest. Etc etc.

Would I buy one? No. Do I hate them them? No. Each to their own.

I am (or will be) however, very interested in their truly all in-house British-made movement. (If it ever happens. The deadline keeps getting pushed back.) Will it be any good? (Probably.) Will it be reasonably priced? (Probably not.)

Bremont don't keep me awake at night, for good or ill, and that's not true for all brands. There are some I love ("10") and some I hate ("0"). Bremont make great watches but try waaay too hard to puff their products. So, 3.5 from me.

Master
    Bremont make great watches but try waaay too hard to puff their products. So, 3.5 from me.
    About right.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps because.......

Rolex

Omega

Bremont

Last edited by oldoakknives; 18th January 2020 at 13:32.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Holy thread resurrection Batman….
    I see Bremont are undertaking a launch this evening (20:30) and the clues are pictures of a movement. With the tag line ‘it’s almost time’
    Now I am not trying to stoke the already existing flames (I like some of their watches) but is this possibly their ‘in house movement’ being released? I don’t recognise the movement in the images shown.
    It would be good for the British watch industry if they did finally release a fully in-house produced movement.

All signs point to it being a special edition with the new movement. I imagine they're now making their own baseplates along with the case. (How much of the movement do you need to make in house to be classed as in house?)

It will be hideously expensive no doubt, but if they've dotted all the "I's" and crossed all the "T's", then it's a great thing for British watch making.
    They wouldn't make the same mistake as last time... Would they?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    All signs point to it being a special edition with the new movement. I imagine they're now making their own baseplates along with the case. (How much of the movement do you need to make in house to be classed as in house?)

It will be hideously expensive no doubt, but if they've dotted all the "I's" and crossed all the "T's", then it's a great thing for British watch making.
    They wouldn't make the same mistake as last time... Would they?
    I agree they can’t make the same mistake twice (can they?) but any manufacturer that invests to makes movement parts here in the UK has to be a good thing I would have thought.

The ‘dink just confirmed on Instagram new almost in house almost all Bremont movement

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    The ‘dink just confirmed on Instagram new almost in house almost all Bremont movement

Full details here

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/up...ign=watchville

Well done to Bremont I say.

What a great read. Looking forward to reading more and seeing this movement in the flesh.

This seems a really positive development but I’m sure that elsewhere on here the fires are being lit, pitchforks handed out and a minion has just been despatched to see if there have been any updates to the Free French archives.

The fact that 'Longitude' is on the rotor in the photograph on Hodinkee tells us who/what it's a special edition to celebrate. Well done Bremont I say.

That article is a nice, honest appraisal, I think. Probably fair to say it’s not significantly different to what Tudor do with Kenisi. Sounds like it’s semi-in house but close enough…

I still think it will be overpriced when they stick it in a watch, though. As is their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    That article is a nice, honest appraisal, I think. Probably fair to say it’s not significantly different to what Tudor do with Kenisi. Sounds like it’s semi-in house but close enough…

I still think it will be overpriced when they stick it in a watch, though. As is their way.
    Will be interesting what RRP they will now charge. Especially as they’ve said it will fit in the current lineup.

Always liked & almost bought the white Solo many moons ago. Still think the size 43mm is now too big for my tastes. But interesting to see what they do and where they go.

Always liked & almost bought the white Solo many moons ago. Still think the size 43mm is now too big for my tastes. But interesting to see what they do and where they go.

you know they’ve had a full line up of 37mm Solo’s for some time?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-solo-37

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yup new movement tonight (ENG 300)and an SE. I’m on on the tube now to my hotel for the event. Bremont host a good gig and been really looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    you know they’ve had a full line up of 37mm Solo’s for some time?

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-solo-37
    Too small and thick unfortunately

Wish Bremont the best of luck with this - got a lot of time for their products, albeit I feel they could do with a better designer to refine overall proportions - no matter, an in-house movement at this level is a great move.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Interesting read, thanks for that.

Master
    Too small and thick unfortunately

What is the case height?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    What is the case height?
    13mm. As 37mm like me it’s short & stubby!

Just got an email from Jura. I think it was £13 or 14k for stainless steel and £21k for white gold.

It wasn’t a difficult prediction but I certainly wasn’t wrong.

£15-21-22K

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...eid=84ddb3ad0d

I don’t know what else to say.

Best Regards
    Claudio

I really want to like Nomos but they make it hard: the designs, the BS, the price.

Ah, yes, the price: £15k?! With those residuals? Really?

And still not really quite in-house.

How did Nomos manage to make their movement so quickly and cheaply (at least compared to Bremont)? It took Nomos 24 years (founded in 1990, first in-house movement in 2014). Bremont was founded in 2002, so they are now 19 years in and still not quite managing it, if indeed they ever get there. But they've got five years to match Nomos' record.

Well, good luck to them. I meant that. I want to like their watches, I want to like them, but more than that I really do want them to succeed as affordable, attractive, all-English watches. Do I think they will? Probably not. Please, prove me wrong. And good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I really want to like Nomos but they make it hard: the designs, the BS, the price.

Ah, yes, the price: £15k?! With those residuals? Really?

And still not really quite in-house.

How did Nomos manage to make their movement so quickly and cheaply (at least compared to Bremont)? It took Nomos 24 years (founded in 1990, first in-house movement in 2014). Bremont was founded in 2002, so they are now 19 years in and still not quite managing it, if indeed they ever get there. But they've got five years to match Nomos' record.

Well, good luck to them. I meant that. I want to like their watches, I want to like them, but more than that I really do want them to succeed as affordable, attractive, all-English watches. Do I think they will? Probably not. Please, prove me wrong. And good luck!
    You may want to check your info on Nomos in-house movements. Just saying.

And I am not sure if you maybe should read the whole post again as it sounds a bit confused...?

Craftsman
    I don’t really understand their thought process here. Everyone loves a new movement but I can’t imagine they’re going to sell many of them in a £15k-£20k watch. That’s vacheron money.

I also don’t particularly understand the fuss about it the movement itself. From what I understand they’ve just bought the rights to make something that exists today in watches costing as little as £2k, manufactured some of the easier to make parts and popped it in a case.

I wouldnt be so critical but £15k a steel bremont is ridiculous IMO.