closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vinyl record players

Vinyl record players

After a recent house move and discovering loads of forgotten records in the loft I’m thinking about a retro looking record player. Budget around 150-200 and needs to be small enough to go on a medium sized side table. Wooden or plastic case and doesn’t have to be able to connect to a computer like some of them can. I’ve seen the sub £49 players in JL and curry’s and the sound quality doesn’t seem that great. That’s not to say that a £200 player will sound any different I’m guessing?
    Had a quick search on tapatalk but unable to find any related topics or posts but I’m guessing there will be.
    FFF
    Edit- looking for a player with integrated speakers
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 27th December 2019 at 10:29.

Master
    Project - Audio would be a decent bet for a couple of hundred. Or Rega.
    Anything really cheap use upmarket darning needles for a cartridge which won’t do your vinyl many favours.

If you can stretch to £249 then I'd highly recommend this one:
    https://www.whathifi.com/rega/planar-1/review

I got one back in 2017 and with the sub and speakers the sound is amazing, I'm buying around 2 vinyls a month and re-discovering music again with that crackle when you drop the needle on the start haha...

Or have a look at these top 6 recommendations around your budge as per what hifi:
    https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/h...get-turntables

Vinyl record players

I only list £200 as that’s what the son gave me and the wife for Xmas but can add to it yes.....Thanks I’ll take a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Note a turntable like the plana-1 will also need an amp (with phono stage) and speakers. Your £200 will then end up being £600.

Craftsman
    AVFORUMS will have a wealth of posts but there are plenty of people here with sound systems who will advise. Not sure how many have an all-in-one system though.

The issue you’re going to have is that requiring a decent sounding turntable (TT) means getting a separate amplifier and phono stage, unless the amplifier has one inbuilt. Then your £200 TT turns into £500 because you need an amp and speakers, unless you have these already.

I’d look to buy used if you want to go down the above rabbit hole. A Marantz PM5005 amp & Pro-ject TT wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Note a turntable like the plana-1 will also need an amp (with phono stage) and speakers. Your £200 will then end up being £600.
    You’ve just answered my next question thank you. Yes I’m looking for intergraded speakers

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought an inexpensive turntable to plug in to my sound system about 10 years ago to relive my youth. I soon got fed up of crackles and changing sides every 20 mins so the turntable went to a charity shop!

The records were about to follow suit when I added them to a house sale auction. There were about 150 albums and I was pleasantly surprised to get 750gbp for them.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Just to clarify,

You want a stand alone turntable with built in speakers, kind of like the 50/60 portable record players?

If so I think you’ll struggle to get something viable around your target price.

Perhaps even consider a turntable with a line out and a small set of active speakers?

Get a second hand DUAL from the 80s - decent - solid and cheap.

Master
    This is the project turntable I was thinking of it’s £200 rather than the rega @ £350

https://www.project-audio.com/en/pro...imary-e-phono/

Then you are looking the same again for active speakers, however if you have an existing stereo with line in inputs then you could use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Just to clarify,

You want a stand alone turntable with built in speakers, kind of like the 50/60 portable record players?

If so I think you’ll struggle to get something viable around your target price.

Perhaps even consider a turntable with a line out and a small set of active speakers?
    Yeh all built in, speakers and all

Craftsman
    You will struggle at that price.

Its not compact, but something like...

Record Deck....Goldring GL75, Pioneer PL12D, Dual 505, Garrard SP25 etc . You will be best to replace the stylus in case its chipped and would damage records.
    Amp NAD 3020
    Speakers Mordaunt Short MS15

Less than £500 all in and fairly decent sound quality. Also quite fun sourcing and completing the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    This is the project turntable I was thinking of it’s £200 rather than the rega @ £350

https://www.project-audio.com/en/pro...imary-e-phono/

Then you are looking the same again for active speakers, however if you have an existing stereo with line in inputs then you could use that.

Master
    If you're on Faceache join the Audioshite group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/300239996801233/

They have a lot of discussion about turntables

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    You will be best to replace the stylus in case its chipped and would damage records.
    TBH any damage to the stylus will be obvious in the first few seconds of playing any record.

If the stylus is chipped it probably won't track at all and will skip off the disc, but if it does and you can bear the horrible racket coming out the speakers, then you probably will damage the vinyl.

That said, I've still got all the records I bought as a teenager over 50 years ago when all we had at home was a Dansette with a fairly basic arm and cartridge - the accepted wisdom was to balance a threepenny bit on the end of the arm to make it track on difficult records, so Lord only knows what the tracking weight was.

I now have a slightly more sophisticated set up - currently a Systemdek 3D Signature turntable/Audio Origami 12" PU7 arm/Koetsu Rosewood cartridge, and the old records still sound OK played on that. So they will take a bit of abuse.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You’ve just answered my next question thank you. Yes I’m looking for intergraded speakers
    Anything with integrated speakers is going to be an awful compromise. One of the main problems will be acoustic feedback from the speaker to the cartridge.

Blog Entries
    I recommend for starters and before laying out decent money something from these guys

https://www.ionaudio.com/products/turntables

Integrated speakers but also with audio output if required and if you decide that going back to vinyl is for you then source really decent kit in my case i was playing stuff that was recorded sixty years ago and found this kit was ok for me.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Something like this, with a pair of small bookshelf speakers would fit the bill, and within your budget

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SANYO-G27...4AAOSwEC9d0AgL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-S...UAAOSwCDxd~~Dn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...oAAOSwRjldgMNE

Room filling sound from an LP source on a £200 budget will be a challenge at a quality better than a low end smart 'speaker.

A number of solid suggestions built around classic 80s hardware will be hard to beat, however, to do that successfully on budget will require solid research as with any hobby (if another hobby is not the intention or you can't buy from a trusted seller, don't).

Do you have any music playing apparatus at all? i.e. smart 'speaker with Bluetooth connectivity? It will be easier to suggest a viable route if you could give some background with which to extrapolate.

The Sony TT with built in 'phono stage & Bluetooth output would be a great choice if have a BT ' speaker or earbuds (one of the what hifi top 6 budget choices linked above). All of the replies have assumed LP records,check if your loft "treasure" has a number of 78s, budget options typically won't play those.

Vinyl is a very much like mechanical watches, a deep rabbit hole & spending £200 to make some noise when a Spotify membership + Sonos Play 1 will give you access to probably all of the content in your loft at a reasonable quality & one to weigh up carefully.

In summary, there is a big difference between playing vinyl & being able to play to enjoy the sound. You can give the budget a significant leg-up by connecting to an existing amp/speaker comb, for £200-300 new from a standing start, not worth doing imo.
    For £200-ish all up, probably one of the music centres from eBay may be the best & able to flip (the beolab 2000 in particular) if bought well & the novelty wore thin further down the road.

Have fun, if you're stuck pm me.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It is unfortunate, but most of the turntables with built in speakers also use the least expensive type of cartridge (ceramic) and a huge amount of tracking force to get the records to play without a finicky setup. It probably goes without saying that this approach is terrible for your records, and the sound quality as well. The only portable I know of that uses a magnetic cartridge is the Crosley Nomad. Its about as good as your going to find in an all-in-one unit.

http://soundadvicevinyl.com/2018/01/...ntable-review/

Master
    Dudley, buy something from Garrards, it was a Swindon company after all. The factory was on the site of Halfords/The Range in the town centre. They are now being made in Lambourn under the same name with the same models (some of them not all).
    David

Master
    Blog Entries
    you will regret buying an all in system and just end up paying out again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Dudley, buy something from Garrards, it was a Swindon company after all. The factory was on the site of Halfords/The Range in the town centre. They are now being made in Lambourn under the same name with the same models (some of them not all).
    David
    Err the op’s budget was £200 where is the extra £13,300 coming from?

You could get a refurbished one from here and by the time you’ve bought the turntable, plinth arm and cartridge it might only be £6-7K shy...

Blog Entries
    I suppose at the end of the day it depends on whether you want a 'record player' or thousands of pounds worth of hi-fi equipment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Project Primary E would be my choice if new, and you can upgrade the cartridge later

does the op already have amplification (with a phono stage) + speakers ? , if not you are not going to get anything worth while for that budget thats not going to sound like an old cb radio when you put a record on it.

Vinyl can either sound amazing, or ok, or crap.

Lets forget the money needed for amazing, and I mean hundreds to thousands. If you want 'ok' sound look at a decent deck from Rega or Project (as suggested by others). If the turntable doesn't have a phono stage (a pre-amp needed to boost the signal to 'line level' input so you can use it in a tuner/CD/tape line input) this will be extra cost and the can be had for £30 upwards to again hundreds. Then you need a decent amplifier and speakers

The stylus is important too, a cheap ceramic one (fitted to budget decks) will sound poor and won't do your treasured records any good. You need a decent Moving Magnet type at least, which Rega and Project will come fitted and will track at a much lighter weight, therefore protecting your records. ( a stylus has a lot of work to endure, travelling a third of a mile on one side of an LP and undergo extreme temperature changes so hot the record grooves are momentarily deformed)

The other problem is you can end up wanting a better sound by upgrading and then spend more you originally intended.

Forget all these plastic imitation record players they will sound poor. You would do better to get a good Sonos speaker and pay monthly to Spotify for a good sound.

Personally I think the OP needs to set his sights a bit higher (difficult given his parameters) and invest in a good separates system for long term satisfaction as it may be a case of, 'what's all the fuss about vinyl? but, like everything, what sounds good to one person, may sound poor to another.

I used to do public dems using high end CD and Vinyl and our 'party piece' would be to play a record using the same music... always got a round of applause.

Vinyl record players

I’m not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. All I’m looking for is a simple set up to listen to a few old records I found in the loft
    They can be bought from as little as £49 so i set my budget of c150-200 based on the amount of money the lad gave the wife and I for Xmas. I found a system for under £200 and I’m adding a pair of Bose active speakers to it to negate the need for an amp.

Blog Entries
    I’m not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. All I’m looking for is a simple set up to listen to a few old records I found in the loft
    They can be bought from as little as £49 so i set my budget of c150-200 based on the amount of money the lad gave the wife and I for Xmas. I found a system for under £200 and I’m adding a pair of Bose active speakers to it to negate the need for an amp.

And you'll probably enjoy listening to them just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Anything with integrated speakers is going to be an awful compromise. One of the main problems will be acoustic feedback from the speaker to the cartridge.
    Indeed, the speakers should be well away from the turntable and certainly not connected. Rega and Project are good and a second hand amp from the 90s will , most like , have a phono stage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got this with a Rega planer 2 and 20 year old or more JPW floor standers.

Entry level you say,well it sounds very,very good to me

https://www.richersounds.com/marantz...k-edition.html

Lintone, my local dealer, often have Rega offers on their ebay site. Excellent customer service and whatever price point you choose excellent value

Craftsman
    I’m going to echo what everyone else has said about not getting an integrated system. You might be able to find a DJ hanging up their record bag who is selling a set of decks and mixer, and then you can just plug that into your existing system.

Or scour eBay for a Technics 1210 and then connect a phono amp to output to your system of choice. The 1210 will outlive all of us, they’re very serviceable and easy to use.

Master
    Agree with much of the above. How about Ariston deck, NAD amp , Acoustic Research speakers - I have this set up - speakers and amp bought new in about 1985 and proved100% reliable. I had to refoam the ARs about 5 years ago but it's an easy and (and cheap) job. I suspect they will see me out !

It seems above can be had for not much more than OP's budget

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARISTON-P...wAAOSwHwld7n1b

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-3020B...8AAOSwxH1d7O9A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-...wAAOSwzQFd7och

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    I’m going to echo what everyone else has said about not getting an integrated system. You might be able to find a DJ hanging up their record bag who is selling a set of decks and mixer, and then you can just plug that into your existing system.

Or scour eBay for a Technics 1210 and then connect a phono amp to output to your system of choice. The 1210 will outlive all of us, they’re very serviceable and easy to use.
    Thats just what I did, love the 1210, rock solid and reliable, I had several pairs in my youth but never kept them, kept all my records though, just recently bought another pair of 1210s, Im now trying to persuade the wife to let me set them up in the lounge, my argument is that as far as mid life crisis goes, its pretty mild.

Christmas Vinyl.

Cheers..
    Jase

The 1210 was first used in broadcasting by Kenny Everett. It had to go from 0 to 78rpm within a quarter turn. I used to fit SME arms to them and the top Shure V15 cartridge.
    Like you say, they'll go on forever. I still have the SL1600 somewhere in the loft 😉

Master

I’ll take as many pairs of 1210’s and mixer for the op’s £200 budget as you can get...

Master
    If the home DJ look is what you’re after then the Pioneer PLX-500 can be had for £239 at currys and is a reasonable performer with options to improve by upgrading headshell and cartridge.

https://www.avforums.com/review/pion...e-review.13085

[QUOTE=JasonM;5284509]Thats just what I did, love the 1210, rock solid and reliable, I had several pairs in my youth but never kept them, kept all my records though, just recently bought another pair of 1210s, Im now trying to persuade the wife to let me set them up in the lounge, my argument is that as far as mid life crisis goes, its pretty mild.

Christmas Vinyl.

tell her you are thinking of buying a harley and joining the local bike chapter , decks will probably be set up for you the next morning when you get up :)

[QUOTE=pugster;5284630]
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thats just what I did, love the 1210, rock solid and reliable, I had several pairs in my youth but never kept them, kept all my records though, just recently bought another pair of 1210s, Im now trying to persuade the wife to let me set them up in the lounge, my argument is that as far as mid life crisis goes, its pretty mild.

Christmas Vinyl.

tell her you are thinking of buying a harley and joining the local bike chapter , decks will probably be set up for you the next morning when you get up :)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    After a recent house move and discovering loads of forgotten records in the loft I’m thinking about a retro looking record player. Budget around 150-200 and needs to be small enough to go on a medium sized side table. Wooden or plastic case and doesn’t have to be able to connect to a computer like some of them can. I’ve seen the sub £49 players in JL and curry’s and the sound quality doesn’t seem that great. That’s not to say that a £200 player will sound any different I’m guessing?
    Had a quick search on tapatalk but unable to find any related topics or posts but I’m guessing there will be.
    FFF
    Edit- looking for a player with integrated speakers

whereabouts in Wiltshire are you?

ive got a vintage Dual with a expensive cartridge and new phono leads wired in you could have for £75
    which ive owned since about 1992

or an all in one very vintage Dansette I bought for £50

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    Why not do both?

On the back of this thread, I decided to look at a relatively simple way of getting vinyl playing capabilities in my garden studio. Bought an Audio-Technica Bluetooth deck from Richer Sounds (£149) and the Samsung Bluetooth speaker, discussed above, from Curry’s (£140). It arrived today and is all set up. Ok, it doesn’t rival my indoors wired set-up, but at less than £300 all in, I’m impressed.

Cheers

Foggy