closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Watch intentions for 2020

Sell a few, fix some, avoid buying any more...

M

Craftsman
    Bought one this year. Should thin the collection but who knows, i dont have an Annual Calender yet !

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    This reminds me why I rarely contribute these days.
    Contribute is an overstatement:-)
    Just kidding.
    As long as you are happy in your watch journey, it is all good.

Journeyman
    Loads of cheap old vintage stuff I don’t need. And hopefully at some stage have my collection all together and not have something away for repair.

To get rid of the niche stuff and fringe pieces and back to ten watches only. I buy watches to wear and if I'm not wearing them then I don't want them sitting around.

Blog Entries
    Rationalise down to 6 (not including cheapies/mods)

z

Craftsman
    Sell some of the divers, and buy a dress watch instead.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Forgot to say that I'll be adding one of Eddie's Caribbeans to the collection. They must be the most anticipated release of 2020.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

The crosshairs are sighted very steadily on the Glashutte SeaQ, the perfect size for me at 39.5/12.5mm...
    ... trouble is, post Xmas and the magazine is empty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch intentions for 2020

40th birthday at the end of 2020, so no plans to add anything as I’ll be saving for a Speedmaster.

Question is; buy new or vintage 🤷🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Downsize from 28 to three or four and be rid of the hobby. It's not fun anymore.
    Pretty much this but slightly more than 3 or 4

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    40th birthday at the end of 2020, so no plans to add anything as I’ll be saving for a Speedmaster.

Question is; buy new or vintage
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I bought new (well, four years old) as I felt I didn't know enough to buy a vintage Speedy with total confidence.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    I’m going to go up two, then down one or two (maybe 3).

Firstly, I’ve got a Waldhoff Vanguard v8 arriving soon following a Kickstarter purchase. It’s a bit gaudy, but it’s a cheap tourbillon with a European warranty, and I’ve always liked skeleton watches.

Second incoming will be a Garmin of some sort for running and music duties only. Does a smart watch count on a watch forum, or result in an instant ban?

In terms of sales, since I’ve got my BB GMT I rotate almost exclusively between it and my North Flag. They’re just great watches. I’ve not worn my Tudor Heritage Ranger for a couple of months, nor my Eterna Military Heritage 1939. Both will go in due course.

I may consolidate further and ditch my beater of beaters, a Steinhart, if the GPS novelty converts me to wearing a screen on my. wrist when doing sports.

SydR
    My current plans are to go up one.

Aim is to add a white dialled Explorer II. Probably start by speaking to the local AD to get the lie of the land then plan where I go from there.

I picked up a Xiaomi Band watch today and will be wearing this only and not my usual Seiko 007.

Im unsure how this will pan out, especially as the blinking thing is not pairing with my phone.

I do not envisage another watch purchase in 2020 unless I win the lotto.

Craftsman
    I’m going to put an extra hole in the strap of my Nomos so it’s not quite so loose.

Maybe go crazy and buy a ceramic Zenith Defy once that’s sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'll see what comes along. In the Pilot Line I'd love to add a Seamaster Big Blue 176.004 but have to be realistic these days and would be more than content with a 166.090, 166.091 or Memomatic 166.071. A good Accutron Astronaut still eludes me and I rather fancy a Heuer Calculator like Ed's. As usual I expect that there will be some unexpected additions after a thread here piques the interest. There are a couple lined up to leave in the usual fashion early in the New Year.
    Quite fancy a Flightmaster.

Just sayin’

Master
    I'm intrigued by this snippet from SJX's interview with Moser's Edouard Meylan:

So, we’ll be launching the chronograph as well as the new steel model with a shaped case and an integrated bracelet.

So, I'm holding out to see what Moser's integrated bracelet offering looks like.

simon

Craftsman
    Already negotiating with dealer for my 2020 incoming.

The idea is to shed a few pieces & pick up an AP ultra-thin perpetual.
    If it happens, it will most definitely stop me buying anything else for 2020.

Craftsman
    I’ve bought too many during 2019, added 7 watches and now have something resembling my end point collection. I have a AP Royal Oak and VC overseas, leaving me with a Patek shaped itch to scratch, but I’m thinking dress watch instead of aquanaut or nautilus.

The 5146 in white gold with the grey dial or rose gold with white dial are the preference, if I don’t get it next year, I will wait another 12 months and will go all in on a perpetual calendar to mark my 40th.

Suspect in 2020 I will likely move on my BB58 and Bremont MBII, as I have a U2/51-Jet coming in January and I am seriously tempted by the Black Bay S&G so will need to move something in to make space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just added one, a Nomos tangente, so need to clear a few, not sure but a Steinhart, Kemmner Octopus and Zeno may go.

I would like to pick an expedition when they are in stock.

I'll see what comes along. In the Pilot Line I'd love to add a Seamaster Big Blue 176.004 but have to be realistic these days
    I'll send you a PM when the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Quite fancy a Flightmaster.

Just sayin’

I'll send you a PM when the time comes
    Please do!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still hope (99.9% unlikely) I will get a call for a 5164 Aquanaut but in the meantime still enjoying the 5167 version

As a Bond fan I've got deposit down for the yet to be released No Time To Die Omega. Usually I sell them after a few years when I get bored of them but this one might be different

L
    I'll see what comes along. In the Pilot Line I'd love to add a Seamaster Big Blue 176.004 but have to be realistic these days and would be more than content with a 166.090, 166.091 or Memomatic 166.071. A good Accutron Astronaut still eludes me and I rather fancy a Heuer Calculator like Ed's. As usual I expect that there will be some unexpected additions after a thread here piques the interest. There are a couple lined up to leave in the usual fashion early in the New Year.
    Heuer Calculator is a lovely watch that I enjoy having in the collection. Rarely worn though.
    What is a realistic price for a Big Blue these days? Assuming it has been serviced and spruced up by Omega.

Well, I’ll probably be picking up a CWC G10 when they open for the new year on the 2nd... replaces a SKX013 as the ‘second watch’ to my Submariner.

Had a few SKXs, and they’re great watches, but there’s something that just doesn’t click for me.

Had a G10 before, and liked it... can’t remember why I moved it on... other than to say that I do prefer my watches to have a date window.

It may not irritate me so much with the G10, because, unless I was going on holiday somewhere where it would be less than wise to take a Rolex, it’ll only be worn occasionally. Obviously, the quartz will not need winding and setting after being put down for a few days, and I find that NATO straps are comfortable and fit under shirt sleeves when on a watch of that size (but not on divers).

I’m worryingly attracted to Phoenix’s/CWC’s Admiralty Grey fabric (no one else can match the colour and texture), so that’s all to the good.

Incidentally, I emailed CWC yesterday, and received the welcome reply that they are planning to make the GS2000 (G10, plastic crystal, date window) ‘possibly later in 2020’. If/when they’re on sale, I’ll probably trade the standard G10 in for one of those in order to have the date, though in past GS2000s that has meant losing the battery hatch, which I think is a rather fun quirk. Not going to lose sleep over paying someone a few pounds to put a new battery in every 5 years, though.

Speaking of servicing, what is likely to be more than a few quid is my Submariner 16610... Bought it 5 years ago, and I think it had been serviced either that year or the year before. Nothing wrong with it, but happy to have it serviced every 5 or so years, as much as to ensure water resistance as anything else.

Its a watch with sentimental value, but I’ve wanted to have its tritium dial/hands/bezel replaced with Superluminova for some time. I wear it most days; it’s very much a ‘working watch’ that I’m not so precious about, and I’d rather have the function. I’m more worried about Rolex wanting to replace the case, as it’s picked up a few dents and some rather deep scratches over the years. Not only do I suspect that would make for a rather large bill (probably already four figures with hands/dial/bezel?), somehow a replacement case is taking things a little far re: originality...

I think I’ve read somewhere that Watchworks in Bristol can do wonders with refinishing cases, so I might take it there and then go to Rolex for the dial etc.

I wouldn’t usually mind scratches, but there are a few marks on it that go a little beyond ‘charming patina’...

Might be in the market for something £2-4k... but I’m thinking about buying a shotgun instead, as I’m happy with my Sub, and think I could get on to a shoot or two and do more clays if I had my own.

The watch I really want is a vintage Sub, but ‘even’ a leggy one is £7k up, and whilst I like them so much I think current prices are fair enough, that’s too much for me ATM.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 29th December 2019 at 18:11.

A new year, a new decade and a chance to put the messing around and flipping of watches behind me (yes, it's been said before and failure appears to be a very good friend of mine).

I have been happy of late with the way the collection is going and will look to add a few select pieces to it. I am specifically aiming to link any purchase to a key lifestyle change for me, so if it comes off it will be all the more special.

Craftsman
    With the improvement with the ROE a Brellum is top of my list, followed by an Omega Aqua Terra at the right price (missed one in Watts recently)

www.brellum.ch

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    With the improvement with the ROE a Brellum is top of my list, followed by an Omega Aqua Terra at the right price (missed one in Watts recently)

www.brellum.ch
    Have a Duobox panda and it is crazy value for money and has great detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am specifically aiming to link any purchase to a key lifestyle change for me, so if it comes off it will be all the more special.
    We will love and respect you, whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Jesus H Chris, not that kind of change. Imagine having to wear a watch like that 😂

Jesus H Chris, not that kind of change. Imagine having to wear a watch like that
    Methinks he doth protest too much

Ahahahah

Jesus H Chris, not that kind of change. Imagine having to wear a watch like that

Is there a f**king echo in here

Is there a f**king echo in here
    Ok Wallasey Drag Race, it's just Tapatalk playing up

Ok Wallasey Drag Race, it's just Tapatalk playing up
    Rearrange these words:

stick, end, of, wrong...

Master
    Get myself a Bulova Moon watch, to replace the one that I flogged way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Well, I’ll probably be picking up a CWC G10 when they open for the new year on the 2nd... replaces a SKX013 as the ‘second watch’ to my Submariner.

Had a few SKXs, and they’re great watches, but there’s something that just doesn’t click for me.

Had a G10 before, and liked it... can’t remember why I moved it on... other than to say that I do prefer my watches to have a date window.

It may not irritate me so much with the G10, because, unless I was going on holiday somewhere where it would be less than wise to take a Rolex, it’ll only be worn occasionally. Obviously, the quartz will not need winding and setting after being put down for a few days, and I find that NATO straps are comfortable and fit under shirt sleeves when on a watch of that size (but not on divers).

I’m worryingly attracted to Phoenix’s/CWC’s Admiralty Grey fabric (no one else can match the colour and texture), so that’s all to the good.

Incidentally, I emailed CWC yesterday, and received the welcome reply that they are planning to make the GS2000 (G10, plastic crystal, date window) ‘possibly later in 2020’. If/when they’re on sale, I’ll probably trade the standard G10 in for one of those in order to have the date, though in past GS2000s that has meant losing the battery hatch, which I think is a rather fun quirk. Not going to lose sleep over paying someone a few pounds to put a new battery in every 5 years, though.

Speaking of servicing, what is likely to be more than a few quid is my Submariner 16610... Bought it 5 years ago, and I think it had been serviced either that year or the year before. Nothing wrong with it, but happy to have it serviced every 5 or so years, as much as to ensure water resistance as anything else.

Its a watch with sentimental value, but I’ve wanted to have its tritium dial/hands/bezel replaced with Superluminova for some time. I wear it most days; it’s very much a ‘working watch’ that I’m not so precious about, and I’d rather have the function. I’m more worried about Rolex wanting to replace the case, as it’s picked up a few dents and some rather deep scratches over the years. Not only do I suspect that would make for a rather large bill (probably already four figures with hands/dial/bezel?), somehow a replacement case is taking things a little far re: originality...

I think I’ve read somewhere that Watchworks in Bristol can do wonders with refinishing cases, so I might take it there and then go to Rolex for the dial etc.

I wouldn’t usually mind scratches, but there are a few marks on it that go a little beyond ‘charming patina’...

Might be in the market for something £2-4k... but I’m thinking about buying a shotgun instead, as I’m happy with my Sub, and think I could get on to a shoot or two and do more clays if I had my own.

The watch I really want is a vintage Sub, but ‘even’ a leggy one is £7k up, and whilst I like them so much I think current prices are fair enough, that’s too much for me ATM.
    Can't go wrong with a G10 for knocking about. I've been painting/decorating since Christmas so the old G10 is my trusty companion as always for such duties.

And yes rocko/watchworks are brilliant, haven't used them but seen loads that have been done there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    And yes rocko/watchworks are brilliant, haven't used them but seen loads that have been done there.
    That’s good to hear! There’s a place called LA Watchworks over in... LA, and their Instagram has great stuff on... really restores some older pieces that would otherwise be real dogs... I suppose it’s the same sort of tech as in Bristol.

looking to make one more watch purchase next year and at the moment its spring drive , for my retirement celebration Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    That’s good to hear! There’s a place called LA Watchworks over in... LA, and their Instagram has great stuff on... really restores some older pieces that would otherwise be real dogs... I suppose it’s the same sort of tech as in Bristol.
    There was a thread here somewhere with some of rockos work when he first got his lapping machine. No idea how to find it,maybe somebody can link it?

Master
    New Omega Speedmaster Snoopy 50th, hopefully...

Craftsman
    Apparently this will be available towards the end of 2020 ... intrigued to see what size it comes out at, and how much Bulova ask for it ... will probably buy it as long as it isn't huge ...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ci...nt-introducing

Also potentially in the market for a Grand Seiko Quartz GMT SBGN003.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    There was a thread here somewhere with some of rockos work when he first got his lapping machine. No idea how to find it,maybe somebody can link it?
    This one? -

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Lapping

Dear god that isn't the best link to click on at 2am before bed. Serves me right but mostly skimmed it for the pictures. What amazing progress and although old the pennies it costs to have it done. Would love to see what happened to the challenge Sub at the end. Wasn't an update on that. Also very happy the OP didn't use photobucket or there would be no pictures to look at!

Master
    My intentions this new year are to sell most of my vintage Seiko Pogue & diver collection and get a tudor 79090 but I don’t know how that’s going to pan out.

Ideally a 41mm AP Royal Oak, Or a hulk or Pepsi - but it's unlikely I will find any of those without paying double rrp - I'm on waiting lists, so a small chance at least. For what is actually obtainable - I have flipped so many watches and lost much in the process, so perhaps I shouldn’t buy if it’s not what I really want to keep

Craftsman
    My intention is to pay off all the watch shopping in 2019 and hopefully get my 116500...

Journeyman
    Hopefully be able to get a dressier watch to complement my Tudor BB S&G. Looking for one with a moonphase complication, so the choice is fairly limited.
    So far the Longines 1832 Moonphase ticks alot of the boxes, but hoping Tudor might have something interesting for 2020 :)