closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bracelet change...Oxford

Bracelet change...Oxford

Can anyone recommend someone to change my bracelet on a SD 16600 to the RubberB please? Not confident to do it myself in case I mark it...Oxford area!

Many thanks,

Chris

I would look for a decent AD who sells Rolex. Check on Google maps for reviews and if possible an AD with a watch maker on site. Some Mappin & Webb stores have them. Really though I would buy the Bergeon tweezers and breathe steady while changing it yourself.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 26th December 2019 at 15:47.

Those tweezers are £100plus!! Really??

Can’t see me swapping back and forth every two weeks otherwise I would...

Happy to chuck some beer tokens to a fellow TZ’er if anyone can help?

Tbf an AD will prob charge £30 (Ernest Jones do if not bought from them) so by the time you've put it on the rubber, taken it off, then back on to make sure...

Alternatively the single £20 Bergeon works fine but isn't anywhere as easy as the tweezers if you're scared of scratching

Master
    Or you could buy from a cheaper company like horotech

I’ll take a look at horotech. It’ll be my first strap change hence the nervousness

SydR
    Cousins UK do their own equivalent for around £50 shipped.

Grand Master
    I bought a cheap copy off ebay for £30, quality is good enough to do the job, but there's an element of technique involved in using these things.

Also on Amazon (from China) for £10 ish or closer to £30 for a UK seller.

£100 is not bad when you think about them out lasting you and the damage you could avoid.

Grand Master
    You really need to put the watch in a case clamp to hold it steady whilst using these two- prong tools. Also use a magnifier to see what you’re doing. I still put plastic insulating tape on the lugs too.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would look for a decent AD who sells Rolex.
    The only Rolex AD in Oxford is Goldsmiths in the Westgate Centre. I’d be amazed if they knew what a watchmaker was, let alone having one on site.

There are a couple of smaller watch independents in the Covered Market. One of them might have access to a local watchmaker.

There is a good, independent Rolex AD in Banbury. They have a watchmaker on site.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help....it’s actually a ‘RubberB’ from cousins rather than a genuine RubberB therefore I’ll be using an independent....

I was kinda hoping for a member close by that has done his/her own and would help for some beer tokens...competent with a set of tools but not on my watch!

Aware of the one in the covered market so may give them a shout!

Thanks again

Master
    I’ll do it if you want, I’m not a watch maker but change my own straps and bracelets. I’m in Stoke Row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be great!

I’m near Bicester...will PM you!

Master
    The chimpanzee who demonstrates the Bergeon tweezers here scratches the watch every time he uses them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPxoFfWLX2o

Master
    Blog Entries
    thats an excellent tool.

I would have put the watch face down on a cloth and split the bracelet before fitting though I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
    Aware of the one in the covered market so may give them a shout!
    The guy in the covered market changed a battery for me about 5 years ago and scratched the caseback - didn’t bother to use a proper Jaxa tool.

Maybe they have improved but worth checking.

Master
    I think John Gowing in the covered market would be fine for this. As has been said, don't go near Goldsmiths.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    The only Rolex AD in Oxford is Goldsmiths in the Westgate Centre. I’d be amazed if they knew what a watchmaker was, let alone having one on site.

There are a couple of smaller watch independents in the Covered Market. One of them might have access to a local watchmaker.

There is a good, independent Rolex AD in Banbury. They have a watchmaker on site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I think John Gowing in the covered market would be fine for this. As has been said, don't go near Goldsmiths.
    What’s wrong with Goldsmiths in Oxford? Bad experiences? I went in with a friend to get his watch last week and everything seemed fine - maybe because it was the store manager who dealt with us?

If your first offer doesn't work I'm in Buckingham and happy to help.

I have both the tweeser and standard spring bar tools if you want to try before you buy...

With some capton tape and 10 mins you'll get the hang of both ways - but getting a Rolex bracelet back on without the tweezers will normally make you curse!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Never had anyone change bracelets or straps on my watches,it really isn't rocket science!.Just use common sense and care and you won't damage anything.If Humans can get a Man on the Moon,a Man can easily remove a bracelet from a watch.

surely He can,can't He?,is it really beyond a persons capability........Nah it's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Never had anyone change bracelets or straps on my watches,it really isn't rocket science!.Just use common sense and care and you won't damage anything.If Humans can get a Man on the Moon,a Man can easily remove a bracelet from a watch.

surely He can,can't He?,is it really beyond a persons capability........Nah it's not possible.
    Can't you understand someone wanting a little help?

To some their expensive watch is a very special purchase that that don't want to regret scratching - particularly when a local member is likely to be happy to provide some tips?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Can't you understand someone wanting a little help?

To some their expensive watch is a very special purchase that that don't want to regret scratching - particularly when a local member is likely to be happy to provide some tips?

Fully understand,I was just saying it's an easy enough task,which it really is.And let's face it your more likely to take extra special care doing it yourself simply because it's our hard earned that bought it,and not the chap you trust to do it as carefully hopefully!,I had a vintage Seiko Quartz repaired because the guy fitting the battery fkd it up in the process years ago!.

But I guess we're not all comfortable with DIY.Just done some diy on a mates house because he couldn't do it,the reality is he really could have.....ah well whatever.

Master
    My offer still stands, pm’d the OP a couple of times but haven’t heard back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk